@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Nec New Interactive Display Technology CES 1991

Started by RNSpeed, 07/22/2017, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RNSpeed

I was looking at the Aug/Sep 1991 Turboplay magazine and on the Summer CES 1991 article it mentions the Nec Interactive Display Add-on for the Turbografx.  Even mentions that NEC had a demo on their booth.  Is there any info on what was this addon?
Heres the article that mentions it

IMG

Psycho Punch

Screw the MPEG-2 like addon, what about Arena 3000? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Speaking seriously, there's a image of a prototype unit and that's it, I can't find it though. Nice to see that they were in the forefront of a compression technology for HDTV in 1991, and they had a VCD like thing almost ready and planned for their console.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

ParanoiaDragon

Areana 3000 along with Cyborg 297, not to mention my favorite mystery game(not listed here), Riftwar Saga!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: RNSpeed on 07/22/2017, 10:49 PMI was looking at the Aug/Sep 1991 Turboplay magazine and on the Summer CES 1991 article it mentions the Nec Interactive Display Add-on for the Turbografx.  Even mentions that NEC had a demo on their booth.  Is there any info on what was this addon?

IMG
I believe there is a brief view of NID on display in CES video that has been linked to multiple times over the years.
NID = GOTO 01:10

If you go back 11-14 years, you'll find old threads with me asking questions about what NEC did with the NID tech....

What is hilarious is that I know I took screenshots of some dude wearing a TG-16 JACKET in the video, but I can't find any stills of the NID demo/display! My priorities are all screwed up!

pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19607.msg420722#msg420722

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

I am on phone, so images are not as compressed as I would prefer.

But, it's more fun with photos (lazy bastards won't watch the video!)....

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

RNSpeed

Quote from: esteban on 07/23/2017, 12:09 AM
Quote from: RNSpeed on 07/22/2017, 10:49 PMI was looking at the Aug/Sep 1991 Turboplay magazine and on the Summer CES 1991 article it mentions the Nec Interactive Display Add-on for the Turbografx.  Even mentions that NEC had a demo on their booth.  Is there any info on what was this addon?

IMG
I believe there is a brief view of NID on display in CES video that has been linked to multiple times over the years.
NID = GOTO 01:10

If you go back 11-14 years, you'll find old threads with me asking questions about what NEC did with the NID tech....

What is hilarious is that I know I took screenshots of some dude wearing a TG-16 JACKET in the video, but I can't find any stills of the NID demo/display! My priorities are all screwed up!

pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19607.msg420722#msg420722

Awesome thanks for sharing Esteban.

esteban

Quote from: RNSpeed on 07/23/2017, 10:46 AMAwesome thanks for sharing Esteban.
No problem.

:)

Click on the images for the "full size" (app on phone vs laptop handle images differently).

mitsuman

I really really REALLY want that Bonk costume.

esteban

Quote from: mitsuman on 07/23/2017, 02:17 PMI really really REALLY want that Bonk costume.
I am on my phone and getting ready to leave Boston.

Otherwise, you KNOW I would be scouring the underground cosplay scene in Cambridge for DAT BONQUE.

DAT HEADBUTT, tho...

Damn.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/23/2017, 04:47 PMLet us not forget about the NNID unit as well.

/nnid.png
DAT NID, tho...

DAT NNID. Damn.

NecroPhile

Instead of an add-on, they turned it into the PC-FX.  :mrgreen:

Or maybe HuVideo.  20,000 frames and 60 minutes is only 5.5 fps (figure 33 minutes at 10fps), and I assume that's the max amount of frames, leaving no room for code, game graphics, or audio.  Cut down the window size to save space, leaving room for tunes and the actual game, and that doesn't sound all that different than what's in Gulliver Boy.

Or perhaps the answer is both.  The specs don't sound all that impressive, not enough to warrant the cost of a presumably pricey add on anyway, so maybe they developed HuVideo to get as close as they could with existing hardware and let the rest wait for the better capabilities of the PC-FX.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!