OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Quality Genesis Model 2 Scart Cable

Started by Green, 10/11/2017, 08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green

Anyone know where I can find a quality Genesis model 2 scart cable?
All the good ones online seem to be sold out and the ones on eBay have bad reviews.

I recently aquired a JVC X'Eye and wanted to use it on my PVM

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Green on 10/11/2017, 08:10 AMAnyone know where I can find a quality Genesis model 2 scart cable?
All the good ones online seem to be sold out and the ones on eBay have bad reviews.

Wait for these to restock. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161588265542
She usuallly puts up a handful of cables in the morning and when they sell out their sold out until she posts more.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

retro_console_accessories on ebay is supposed to be pretty bad and they might wreck a framemeister.

This place is the best:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/mega-drive-2/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead

They also sell one that is the equivalent of Monster cables, but I haven't bothered to go that far since the regular cables already look perfect to me.

They also sell stuff like scart to bnc or jp21 adapters.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2017, 08:50 AMretro_console_accessories on ebay is supposed to be pretty bad and they might wreck a framemeister.
From my understanding that problem was specific to a no longer produced "Boosted sync" cable that they were selling.
--DragonmasterDan

Killjoyy027

I would agree with Black Tiger retro game cables U.K are the best I have them for all of my systems and they are quality

bartre

IDK about the ebay seller, but with 2 exceptions, all my RGB SCART cables are from the page tiger linked.
they're great, and honestly pretty noticeably better quality than the other two.

go with them.

sirhcman

MLiG suggests both people so either one is fine. I have gotten most of my cables from mickcris (on this forum!) or retro_console_accessories without any issues.

Arkhan Asylum

im sorry.

using quality and genesis 2 together doesn't work.   stopthat

If you really need it though, that Retro Game Cables UK dude has never fucked me up

I've gotten like 12 things from him.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2017, 01:11 PMMLiG suggests both people so either one is fine. I have gotten most of my cables from mickcris (on this forum!) or retro_console_accessories without any issues.
I only have the Duo cable from mickris and it's quite nice, I didn't know he sold other ones. 

I've heard good stuff about Dan's person as well, and the place BT linked but I haven't used either of them myself.  I need to get some better cables but the cost puts me off since I know I'd just want to buy all of them at one to save on shipping. 

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2017, 03:05 PMim sorry.

using quality and genesis 2 together doesn't work.   stopthat

If you really need it though, that Retro Game Cables UK dude has never fucked me up
He's using an X'eye so there's the quality in the equation. Same pinout.

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2017, 03:06 PMI only have the Duo cable from mickris and it's quite nice, I didn't know he sold other ones. 

I've heard good stuff about Dan's person as well, and the place BT linked but I haven't used either of them myself.  I need to get some better cables but the cost puts me off since I know I'd just want to buy all of them at one to save on shipping. 
I have a lot of RGB cables and quite a few system specific cables from both sellers.

From Retro_Gaming_Accessories I have SNES/Nintendo Multi-Out cables, Genesis/SMS, Genesis 2/X'eye, CDX/Saturn, PC Engine, Saturn, Playstation, Neo Geo with Stereo output to SCART from the headphone jack, Neo Geo CD with Stereo output to SCART right off the top of my head.

I also have PC Engine, SNES, Jaguar, SCART to BNC with Sync stripper and a PVM 2030 to SCART cable from RetroGamingCables UK.

All of the cables I have are high quality and outperform cheap Chinese SCART cables I've bought for testing, etc.
With that said, I do get that
1. Retro_Consoles_accessories is frequently out of stock and has at times confusingly listed items at strange prices to handle their order flow.
2. The RetroGamingUK cables are just as high of quality.

So it all depends where you live, what shipping is going to cost and how easy or difficult it is to order a particular cable from the seller.
 RetroUK has a nice easy to access site, whereas dealing with Retro_Consoles_accessories sometimes requires racing to ebay when items are listed before they're out of stock again.  There's pluses and minuses to both
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan Asylum

oh I missed that part because I ate 3 candy bars full of espresso beans and don't have time to read more than one sentence before I start slamming the keys.

CARRY ON.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

I buy from this one.  The cables have all been good.   I had to use him for stuff for my 32X

theres the real fuckin quality right thereeeee
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

yea that seller makes some great stuff and will make custom cables for you if you provide the pinout.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Opethian on 10/11/2017, 03:52 PMyea that seller makes some great stuff and will make custom cables for you if you provide the pinout.
yeah that too.  He gave me JP21 instead of SCART also.

He coo. 

Green

Thank guys!
I'll take into consideration all the recommendations

crazydean

I prefer retro console accessories because they are in the US and I haven't had a problem with them.

I had an issue with a cable from retro gaming cables where the wire wasn't connected to the pin internally. I didn't want to open the cable myself because if I hadn't been able to fix it, then I would have a cable that I damaged and it may have been more difficult to get a refund. Anyway, their customer service was slow and rude, so I decided to open the cable and luckily I was able to fix it.

Retro Gaming Cables also has new Packapunch cables which are more expensive but can be ordered to custom length and are shielded.

CrackTiger

I ordered a scart cable from RGC on Oct 2nd and found the package today  when I checked my mailbox for the first time this week.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keith Courage

There is an ebay seller from poland who has good quality mega drive 2 cables. I got one for a customer once. Worked great with no noticeable audio hum. These are good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Mega-drive-Megadrive-II-2-Genesis-II-2-RGB-SCART-EURO-Cable-/172883278035?hash=item2840a578d3:g:RhkAAOSwxp9W9C-1

crazydean

Quote from: Keith Courage on 10/11/2017, 10:52 PMThere is an ebay seller from poland who has good quality mega drive 2 cables. I got one for a customer once. Worked great with no noticeable audio hum. These are good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Mega-drive-Megadrive-II-2-Genesis-II-2-RGB-SCART-EURO-Cable-/172883278035?hash=item2840a578d3:g:RhkAAOSwxp9W9C-1
Seller is thefoo.83 for anyone interested.

I bought a cable from this seller when I got my 32X since it's a different pinout than the Model 1. It works great.

Also, he has brand new Dreamcast controllers and VMUs which come NIB!

in99flames

Quote from: Green on 10/11/2017, 08:10 AMAnyone know where I can find a quality Genesis model 2 scart cable?

Its a bit off topic from your question but Green....heed my advice. Please. The info im gonna give you is important. Im not sure which power adapter you are using but I also have an X'Eye. **DO NOT**. I repeat....**DO NOT****** use ANY Genesis ac adapter or NES power adapter with the system. It may fit...yea...it may boot the system....but the voltage specs are way off. You will destroy the system. Only a Sega CDX or original JVC(both are identical)have the correct specs. You can also get the correct spec one on ebay or amazon.

The other issue is the CD part. Is it working ok? If the cds don't spin i know what is wrong. Its not the laser(usually).
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: in99flames on 10/12/2017, 12:57 PMIts a bit off topic from your question but Green....heed my advice. Please. The info im gonna give you is important. Im not sure which power adapter you are using but I also have an X'Eye. **DO NOT**. I repeat....**DO NOT****** use ANY Genesis ac adapter or NES power adapter with the system. It may fit...yea...it may boot the system....but the voltage specs are way off. You will destroy the system. Only a Sega CDX or original JVC(both are identical)have the correct specs. You can also get the correct spec one on ebay or amazon.

The other issue is the CD part. Is it working ok? If the cds don't spin i know what is wrong. Its not the laser(usually).
RetroGameCave sells an aftermarket adapter specifically for the X'eye
--DragonmasterDan

Green

Quote from: in99flames on 10/12/2017, 12:57 PM

Its a bit off topic from your question but Green....heed my advice. Please. The info im gonna give you is important. Im not sure which power adapter you are using but I also have an X'Eye. **DO NOT**. I repeat....**DO NOT****** use ANY Genesis ac adapter or NES power adapter with the system. It may fit...yea...it may boot the system....but the voltage specs are way off. You will destroy the system. Only a Sega CDX or original JVC(both are identical)have the correct specs. You can also get the correct spec one on ebay or amazon.

Good to know. I have a OEM plug

xcrement5x

Even the OEM X'Eye power bricks are expensive now.  I remember years ago picking up a handful and repairing them and selling them for a modest profit.  What people are asking for them now is just robbery. 

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/12/2017, 05:35 PMEven the OEM X'Eye power bricks are expensive now.  I remember years ago picking up a handful and repairing them and selling them for a modest profit.  What people are asking for them now is just robbery. 
Yep, if it is just for functionality this is to spec and works great http://www.retrogamecave.com/#/shop/4577155957/psu-sega-jvc-x-eye/10873407
--DragonmasterDan

in99flames

Oh it totally is robbery. The TG16 CD adapter plug is also up there....ridiculous.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Green

Quote from: Keith Courage on 10/11/2017, 10:52 PMThere is an ebay seller from poland who has good quality mega drive 2 cables. I got one for a customer once. Worked great with no noticeable audio hum. These are good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Mega-drive-Megadrive-II-2-Genesis-II-2-RGB-SCART-EURO-Cable-/172883278035?hash=item2840a578d3:g:RhkAAOSwxp9W9C-1
I ended up grabbing the last one of these. Thanks Keith

blueraven

DragonmasterDan made me hep to this, remembering an issue that I had long forgotten about.

I bought a Cable from the British Guys, Retrogamingcables.uk from them for PVM 2030A, and now that you mention It I'm still on their fucking mailing list.

I had to do some soldering to make it work, they sent me a JP21 cable and I had to disassemble it and double-check with mickris and thesteve to rewire it so that it would work. I was kind of pissed off that I had to do the work over after having it shipped halfway across the world. Although, it was better than having green and blue messed up.

Anyway.... Yeehaw... the cable works. I still use it on the 2030A. But you may have to have a soldering party to get it to work.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: in99flames on 10/12/2017, 12:57 PM

In general you should never plug any power cable into anything unless it's known to be the correct one or you have like a 200 IQ and a photographic memory or whatever superhuman/alien skills it takes to just match a correct aftermarket one that will pay for itself in energy savings in the first year or two when compared to some shitty 80s transformer based thing.

I kid, this is decades old consumer electronics. It's not like trying to get the right USB-C* cable or anything like that...

*If you haven't spent time with USB-C yet you should know that is isn't the universal cable we've been waiting for, it's never ever ever coming, don't even bother looking.
IMG

Digi.k

reading the comments about retrogamingcables uk is making me have doubts about them.

I bought a sync on luma RGB cable to switch between pal and jpn saturns and after a few hours of hooking up my pal saturn the psu was short circuiting every few minutes and I'd have to wait for the console to cool down before it could switch on and a few minutes of gaming the console would just power down. Now it doesn't power on at all.

Japan Saturn works fine though..
I wonder whether they sent me a csync by mistake. although the cable is labeled sync on luma.

Johnpv

Quote from: blueraven on 10/17/2017, 03:25 PMDragonmasterDan made me hep to this, remembering an issue that I had long forgotten about.

I bought a Cable from the British Guys, Retrogamingcables.uk from them for PVM 2030A, and now that you mention It I'm still on their fucking mailing list.

I had to do some soldering to make it work, they sent me a JP21 cable and I had to disassemble it and double-check with mickris and thesteve to rewire it so that it would work. I was kind of pissed off that I had to do the work over after having it shipped halfway across the world. Although, it was better than having green and blue messed up.

Anyway.... Yeehaw... the cable works. I still use it on the 2030A. But you may have to have a soldering party to get it to work.
Why not just contact customer service and have them replace the cable?  I've gotten almost all my cables from them and have only had issues with 1, and when I contacted them about it they quickly just sent out a replacement.

blueraven

Quote from: Johnpv on 10/18/2017, 08:17 AMWhy not just contact customer service and have them replace the cable?  I've gotten almost all my cables from them and have only had issues with 1, and when I contacted them about it they quickly just sent out a replacement. 
I had the level of knowledge to switch the two wires, and while having a second cable would have been nice it was just heating up the iron and a swap... about 5 minutes of total work.

This is true, they are really good about getting back with you on restocking, cables, etc. Digi K, don't worry about them as a seller, they do a good job. This is just me as a persistent technogeek bitching about how I had to swap a single wire. But seriously, it should have been correct when it arrived.

But yeah, they're good sellers.

Johnpv

Quote from: blueraven on 10/20/2017, 04:41 PM
Quote from: Johnpv on 10/18/2017, 08:17 AMWhy not just contact customer service and have them replace the cable?  I've gotten almost all my cables from them and have only had issues with 1, and when I contacted them about it they quickly just sent out a replacement. 
I had the level of knowledge to switch the two wires, and while having a second cable would have been nice it was just heating up the iron and a swap... about 5 minutes of total work.

This is true, they are really good about getting back with you on restocking, cables, etc. Digi K, don't worry about them as a seller, they do a good job. This is just me as a persistent technogeek bitching about how I had to swap a single wire. But seriously, it should have been correct when it arrived.

But yeah, they're good sellers.
Yeah it should have been but shit happens.  It's an operation of like 2 people building all this shit by hand.  Out of the 9 or 10 cables from them that I've bought I've only ever had an issue with 1, and they did replace it no problem.

MobiusStripTech

I own an absurd number of cables from retro console accessories. A few things to point out. Both RCA and RGC were building cables quite some time ago that were cable of damaging the Framemeister, yes both. Those cables have not been in production for a long time and they both have stated that they would replace them for people. It also only affected the Boosted Sync cables, not to be confused with Buffered Sync cables.

Now that being said, I personally get them from RCA because she is US based, builds good quality cables, and they are shielded even for the cheap ones. She also offers the fully shielded cables, just like the RGC guys and she offers metal SCART heads if you want them.

My only personal issues with RGC are that he uses Epoxy or Glue or some shit to "seal" his connections inside the cable and he is UK based, so more expensive for shipping, plus whatever the conversion rate is at the time. I do like his circuit boards though.

My last little bit, RCA has a website. She has had it up for a few months. Stop buying the cables on ebay.

http://www.retro-access.com

She sells more cables, with more options, and cheaper if you just go through the web page. Screw ebay and their nonsense.

xcrement5x

Quote from: MobiusStripTech on 10/30/2017, 04:26 PMI own an absurd number of cables from retro console accessories. A few things to point out. Both RCA and RGC were building cables quite some time ago that were cable of damaging the Framemeister, yes both. Those cables have not been in production for a long time and they both have stated that they would replace them for people. It also only affected the Boosted Sync cables, not to be confused with Buffered Sync cables.

Now that being said, I personally get them from RCA because she is US based, builds good quality cables, and they are shielded even for the cheap ones. She also offers the fully shielded cables, just like the RGC guys and she offers metal SCART heads if you want them.

My only personal issues with RGC are that he uses Epoxy or Glue or some shit to "seal" his connections inside the cable and he is UK based, so more expensive for shipping, plus whatever the conversion rate is at the time. I do like his circuit boards though.

My last little bit, RCA has a website. She has had it up for a few months. Stop buying the cables on ebay.

http://www.retro-access.com

She sells more cables, with more options, and cheaper if you just go through the web page. Screw ebay and their nonsense.
Ah, this is nice to know about.  She even has a blog post talking about all the headaches ebay has been causing due to the difficulty managing stock there. 
https://retro-access.com/blogs/news/why-id-really-prefer-it-if-people-use-this-store-over-ebay