PC Engine exclusives

Started by reliq, 11/11/2017, 02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reliq

Is there a list of exclusives games the consoles had during its lifetimes. by exclusive I mean games that were not arcade ports or were on other systems during the time the console was on the market
If a games was later ported to modern consoles I still count it as exclusive

CrackTiger

There aren't any lists in English, as most English speakers people have no clue about hundreds of PC Engine games.

We can begin posting examples here to piece together the best list we can.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

exodus

hmm, I think it'd be less time consuming to make a list of all the games that were ported - PCE had a lot of exclusives!

xcrement5x

The problem is, there are games that are "ports" but can wind up as more of a re-imagining of the arcade version with the constraints of the system.  Not saying PCE is weak, but when you're trying to port a game from custom hardware to it there is going to be stuff cut, especially if it is on a HuCard.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

reliq

I thought something like would exist already but I was wrong, I have been buying exclusive games for my NES/Famicom, and SNES/Super fami and I had the same problem looking for the same information
Well with Nintendo is easier considering Nintendo never puts their games on other consoles(with a few exceptions of course)
I will try to make a list for the PC Engine but I will focus on the Hu Cards for now, which is the ones I am interested
I hope I can share my findings here later

hoobs88

PCECP.com has a list of all of the games for PC Engine and TG-16. That might be a good start.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

CrackTiger

Here are some console exclusives:

Tengai Makyou Ziria
Tengai Makyou II Manjimaru
Tengai Makyou Fuun Kabuki Den
Kabuki Itouryoden
Dawn of Ys
Tenshi no Uta
Tenshi no Uta II
Record of Lodoss War
Record of Lodoss War II
Fang of Alnam
Star Breaker
Cosmic Fantasy 3
Cosmic Fantasy 4 Chapter 1
Cosmic Fantasy 4 Chapter 2
Babel
Efera and Jiliora
Fairy Dust Story
XZR II/Exile WP
Startling Odyssey
Startling Odyssey II
Legend of Xanadu
Legend of Xanadu II
Popful Mail
Basted
Auleria
Beyond Shadowgate
Shapeshifter
Night Creatures
Neo Nectaris
Lady Phantom
Macross Love Song
Vasteel
Solid Force
Astralius
Travelers
La Valeur
Beast Master KO
Monster Maker
Gulliver Boy
Sol Moonarge
Last Armageddon
Hi Leg Fantasy
Lady Sword
Bectonancer
Sindibad
Benkei Gaiden
Necross
Susana o Densetsu
Gai Frame
Monsho no Gaia
Sword Master
Dungeon Explorer
Neutopia
Neutopia II
Gotzendeiner
Ruin
Magicoal
Fray CD
Xak I & II
Xak III
Neo Metal Fantasy
Dragon Knight & Graffiti
Dragon Knight II
Dragon Knight III
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

_Paul

Dragon Knight II wasn't a PCE Exclusive, it came out on a bunch of computers beforehand. I guess that might go for a few others on that list too.

Same for Xak I & II.

exodus

popful mail is also not console exclusive (came out on sega cd)
but this is as good place to start, so I'll add some:

blood gear
shubibinman 1, 2, 3
every Face game except Ryuukyuu
PC genjin 1+2, 3/3CD
PC denjin/CD
keith courage / wataru
anesan

actually just looking through my collection it's kind of tiring, so I'm gonna stop for now :P

sirhcman

Quote from: exodus on 11/12/2017, 03:18 PMpopful mail is also not console exclusive (came out on sega cd)
but this is as good place to start, so I'll add some:

blood gear
shubibinman 1, 2, 3
every Face game except Ryuukyuu
PC genjin 1+2, 3/3CD
PC denjin/CD
keith courage / wataru
anesan

actually just looking through my collection it's kind of tiring, so I'm gonna stop for now :P
I guess OP doesn't count this but Bonks Adventure was ported to NES, Gameboy and Amiga

CrackTiger

Like my post said, those are console exclusives.

Popful Mail for PCE is an upgraded version of the computer game. The SFC and MCD Popful Mail games are not the same.

There is also a Xak game for SFC, but it is different from the PCE version and both don't look like any of the computer versions I've seen.

SignOfZeta

There are hundreds, many of which are lame as hell. I suggest you collect via some other high concept.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/12/2017, 04:41 PMThere are hundreds, many of which are lame as hell.  I suggest you collect via some other high concept.
Ha!  That's exactly what I was thinking.

I guess it's cool to compile a list just for shits and giggles, but "exclusive" is a slippery term and hard to nail down.  Do PCs count?  Lots of PCE games are console exclusives but were first on PC-98, Towns, etc.  How much has to change for it to be an exclusive?  Ys IV is considered non-cannon and is quite different from the SNES game, but it does share most characters and plot points.

Anyways, here's a few more exclusives:

Air Zonk
Super Air Zonk
Star Parodier
Final Zone 2
Gate of Thunder
Alien Crush
Camp California
Chew Man Fu
Darkwing Duck
Talespin
Dead Moon
Dungeon Explorer 2
Cratermaze
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

Taito:
Hana Taka Daka
Space Invaders Fukkatsu
Bari Bari Densetsu
Gensō Tairiku Aurelia
Gambler Jiko Chūsinha: Mahjong Puzzle Collection

Namco:
Final Blaster
Genpei Tōma Den: Kan no Ni / Samurai Ghost
Chibi Maruko-chan: Quiz de Piihyara
Obocchamakun

UPL
Gomola Speed

Salio:
Daichi Kun Crisis - Do Natural

NEC Avenue:
Download
Download II
Ane San
Splash Lake
Renny Blaster

NEC Home Electronics:
Genji Tsushin Amedama
Moonlight Lady
Metamor Jupiter
21 Emon
Private Eyedol
Bazar de Gozarre

CrackTiger

If all that matters is basic story, plot or characters, then most Mario games only count as the same.

shubibiman

@Hack Tiger :

Tengai Makyou Ziria => Later released on the Xbox 360
Tengai Makyou II Manjimaru => Later released on the Gamecube and the DS
XZR II/Exile WP
Startling Odyssey => I'm not sure which episode but one of the two (maybe both) Startling Odyssey games was also released on the PS1.
Startling Odyssey II
Gulliver Boy => also released on the Sega Saturn (exact same version)
Last Armageddon => also released on the Famicom
Dungeon Explorer => also released on the SFC under a different title and later released on the NDS.

Some titles are computer ports but as has being stated, we're only talking about console exclusives.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

CrackTiger

Quote from: shubibiman on 11/14/2017, 01:28 AM@Black Tiger :

Tengai Makyou Ziria => Later released on the Xbox 360
Tengai Makyou II Manjimaru => Later released on the Gamecube and the DS
XZR II/Exile WP
Startling Odyssey => I'm not sure which episode but one of the two (maybe both) Startling Odyssey games was also released on the PS1.
Startling Odyssey II
Gulliver Boy => also released on the Sega Saturn (exact same version)
Last Armageddon => also released on the Famicom
Dungeon Explorer => also released on the SFC under a different title and later released on the NDS.

Some titles are computer ports but as has being stated, we're only talking about console exclusives.
OP set the rules about ports to future hardware not counting.

Ziria 360 is not even close to the same game.

I thought that the Famicom LA game was different, but have only tried it out through emulation.

Dungeon Explorer isn't on SFC, but I excluded DEII because of Crysyal Beans.

ParanoiaDragon

The DS & PSP Dungeon Explorers are comletely new games, they're not rehashes of the first Dungeon Explorer, but rather, are Diablo clones.
IMG

CrackTiger

Sega-CD Dungeon Explorer is also unique.

reliq

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/12/2017, 04:41 PMThere are hundreds, many of which are lame as hell. I suggest you collect via some other high concept.
Why would I buy something that is not the original release?
The original is always superior no matter what
I already stated that PC ports and arcade ones dont count nor games that were ported to a newer console
Bonk adventure is okay, maybe I should have added that games that were ported to older consoles is okay

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: reliq on 11/15/2017, 08:48 PMThe original is always superior no matter what
Shadow of the Beast on PCE plays better than the Amiga one.

aw yiss
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

exodus

Quote from: reliq on 11/15/2017, 08:48 PMThe original is always superior no matter what
as someone who makes games for a living, I can assure you this is not true :P

crazydean

I already stated that PC ports and arcade ones dont count
I'm confused by this reasoning. So the original is always best unless it's on superior equipment?

reliq

Quote from: crazydean on 11/16/2017, 01:06 AM
I already stated that PC ports and arcade ones dont count
I'm confused by this reasoning. So the original is always best unless it's on superior equipment?
Yes, superior equipment doesn't mean it will play better

exodus

Quote from: reliq on 11/16/2017, 01:39 AMYes, superior equipment doesn't mean it will play better
many ports and subsequent releases include significant patches and fixes, especially in the earlier days. soukyuugurentai for the saturn - the original has some bugs that are fixed by the saturn collection edition, which also adds english support. is the original better?

The xbox port of Silent Hill 2 adds significant content, which was backported to PS2 in a greatest hits edition. Is the original superior?

Virtua Fighter 4 released on PS4, but a greatest hits version, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, includes game balancing, loads of features, and a 10th anniversary edition of Virtua Fighter. Is the original better?

Speaking of Virtua Fighter, the original Saturn port was so poorly put together, so maligned by fans, that Sega put out Virtua Fighter Remix, with better textures, a faster framerate, and all around better handling. Is the original Virtua Fighter the better game?

But though you didn't say it explicitly, I guess you probably mean a game on its original console is always better than a port to a newer console. Let's talk about that, then.

The first Valis game was released on MSX. It looks like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KttSe0Nqo

Is that better than the PCE release, which looks like this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxUabnv7ag

Is this game
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oj7AdERJHc

Better than this one?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMw07Ncavo

As much as I love Riviera on the Wonderswan, and has its specific charms related to resolution and colore palette, would you say the japanese-only wonderswan original is superior to playing it on GBA or PSP in English with extra content?

Even the lovely Panzer Dragoon. Is the Saturn version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=peoRBj9U-jI

Truly superior to the PS2 version, which just increases the fidelity of the textures?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FoZcvrTWtM

I could go on forever, but original is not always best, and quite often the original can't fully execute the developers' desired vision.

reliq

Quote from: exodus on 11/16/2017, 03:00 AM
Quote from: reliq on 11/16/2017, 01:39 AMYes, superior equipment doesn't mean it will play better
many ports and subsequent releases include significant patches and fixes, especially in the earlier days. soukyuugurentai for the saturn - the original has some bugs that are fixed by the saturn collection edition, which also adds english support. is the original better?

The xbox port of Silent Hill 2 adds significant content, which was backported to PS2 in a greatest hits edition. Is the original superior?

Virtua Fighter 4 released on PS4, but a greatest hits version, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, includes game balancing, loads of features, and a 10th anniversary edition of Virtua Fighter. Is the original better?

Speaking of Virtua Fighter, the original Saturn port was so poorly put together, so maligned by fans, that Sega put out Virtua Fighter Remix, with better textures, a faster framerate, and all around better handling. Is the original Virtua Fighter the better game?

But though you didn't say it explicitly, I guess you probably mean a game on its original console is always better than a port to a newer console. Let's talk about that, then.

The first Valis game was released on MSX. It looks like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KttSe0Nqo

Is that better than the PCE release, which looks like this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxUabnv7ag

Is this game
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oj7AdERJHc

Better than this one?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMw07Ncavo

As much as I love Riviera on the Wonderswan, and has its specific charms related to resolution and colore palette, would you say the japanese-only wonderswan original is superior to playing it on GBA or PSP in English with extra content?

Even the lovely Panzer Dragoon. Is the Saturn version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=peoRBj9U-jI

Truly superior to the PS2 version, which just increases the fidelity of the textures?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FoZcvrTWtM

I could go on forever, but original is not always best, and quite often the original can't fully execute the developers' desired vision.
Yes the original is always better. do you want me to show you bad ports to newer consoles or to PC?
Damn I didn't even notice you were the guy that said he makes games for a living, not sure why I am even replying to you

SignOfZeta

The original is always the original and if you want original then nothing else would do. This is completely independent of quality though. There are many games on PCE that themselves are superior conversions from other system and even defining "original" is hard sometimes.

If you were collecting music or something this would actually make sense (I collect New Order 12" singles from Factory Records exclusively) but it just doesn't hold up with games. You're going to have Drac X sure, but also Energy and Darkwing Duck and crapola like that, omitting games like Advanced VG which is fun and way better than the PC game it was made from.

I often stick to a particular version for ages (CVS2 on DC, for example) and rarely buy HD remixes and shit like that but really your theory just doesn't work because it leads to fucked up piles of junk nobody wants or plays ever like Battlefield in Tokyodome '94 or whatever.
IMG

ClodBusted

I decide on a game-by-game basis which version meets my taste better than the other.

Unless for old music, where I try to avoid any remasters IF reasonably possible. But that's a whole different story about loudness war and can not be compared to video games in my opinion, and I agree with Zeta about that.

NecroPhile

"original is always better!"

Really?  Anyone want to argue that NES Bomberman is better than PCE Bomberman?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

I dunno. I feel like the constraints you've provided are rather arbitrary (and some of your claims easy to disprove). If you really want to list PC Engine originals, you need to exclude anything that has a version on another platform, even decades later, if that other version is nominally the same game. Which is to say, the only true PC Engine originals are those games for which the core experience can only be had on the PC Engine, and not some other system or platform, before or after.

Regardless, if you want help constructing a list of games meeting particular criteria, you need to make sure you are being specific in the details of your request, and when those details seem odd, clear in explaining why those criteria are important. Basically, if you want our help you need to tell us why we should care.

exodus

I sure wasted my time last night, ha ha

cr8zykuban0

I didnt see anyone mention hihou densetsu:chris no bouken.

Im pretty sure its an exclusive for the pc engine. Its a super underrated platformer.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: exodus on 11/16/2017, 02:15 PMI sure wasted my time last night, ha ha
I was very impressed.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2017, 09:59 AM"original is always better!"

That may be the absolute best example. NES Bomberman wasn't the original but I like this because it's a company that made a game and then later on made their own system and remade the game for that. It did indeed turn out way better. A huge Bomberman fan wants them all of course but if you could only have one version of "Bomberman" the PCE version clearly works over all the rest and you're never going to play the earlier games. If you only collect "original" you'll never have the best Bomberman.

IMG
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/16/2017, 09:59 AM"original is always better!"

This, NecroPhile knows what's up

Snatcher is a nice example. The original never had a finished plot! (Although act 3 is one longass exposition dump)

OP's game search almost seems to focus on technicality over fun.