10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

C&VG + The Games Machine (UK mags) on the SuperGrafx

Started by SGX Engine, 11/26/2017, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGX Engine

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

Digi.k

I remember reading this article back in the day.  Thanks for the scans.

SGX Engine

I wish I could get the other page of the article from TGM April 1990, looks like there was a mail-in flyer over it when it got scanned.

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

SGX Engine

Not being from the UK, these are great for me to see for the first time.

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

exodus

Great stuff!! I love how they were calling it "The Engine"
(I actually hate it)

SGX Engine

Ex_Mosquito

I remember seeing the SGX on a news report on TV in the early 90's in the UK (newsround, before Neighbours?). It was a feature about a young lad who was ill and undergoing chemotherapy and they went to his home to film his everyday life, and in one scene he was playing After Burner II on his SGX. Weird that I remember that...

esteban

Quote from: SGX Engine on 12/26/2017, 10:00 AMI have more for you all!
Awesome, I love all this stuff... especially the dude raving about the GIANT BOULDER! Ha! I know it is a big object (it is), but it's just a damn BIG BROWN BOULDER (BBB) and isn't nearly as exciting as the character sprites in China Warrior/The Kung Fu. That said, this IS an ARCADE KUNG FU game...

:)

More importantly, I love the photo of the cute woman/man wearing Z Cavariccis and proudly holding the PCE... we need more...

...and although the soundtrack to OutRun truly kicks ass, the music in Victory Run is pretty good, too (but I wouldn't say that Victory Run tunes > OutRun tunes like the author of the article!)

...anyway, lots of fun reading that! It has a BILLION times more personality/enthusiasm than most articles...

OH YEAH, BEFORE I FORGET:

10 games were out for PCE (damn!) with Namco soon to release a bunch... wow, that's crazy...

...such humble roots...

...30 year anniversary, indeed!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Z. CAVARICCI ENGINE

IMG

Always & Forever...

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

SGX Engine

I found this article in the March 1989 issue of Crash Magazine.

IMG

IMG

IMG

(the mentioned PCE give-away)

IMG

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

SGX Engine

It's really time consuming looking for PCEngine articles in all these UK magazines, but Retro CDN and Google's internet archive are valuable resources.  I continue to search for more, perhaps others could help out as well!

Edit: from ZZap!64 issue 48 - April 1989.

IMG

and May 1989.

IMG

IMG

SGX Engine

And more!

IMGIMG

IMG
IMG

IMG

Jumping ahead some years: CVG PCE Salamander review.

IMG

Bonus -
Jumping back again some years, C&VG Salamander and R-Type arcade reviews

IMG

IMG

SGX Engine

C&VG April 1993 

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

Some notable errors though.  PC Engine released October 1987, not August 1988, and the SuperGrafx never made it to the states, not "barely made it" unless you count imports!

SGX Engine

I wish I could read French... Joystick issue 8 - September 1990.

IMG

esteban

SGX ENGINE: I will be reading these when I get a chance, but I wanted to pre-emptively say "thank you!" for the reading material...

JAPJAC

SGX Engine-You are doing God's work, thank you.  What a treat it is to see all these old printings again, and some are even new to me.  Print is forever.

I don't know if it will help your arduous task at all, but there is a playlist on my YouTube channel titled 'Retro Magazines'.  I went through every issue of ZERO, C+VG (Mean Machines section), Sinclair User, ACE, RAZE (they covered the PCE heavily) and The Games Machine (what a magazine) and anything PCE will be shown.  Although way too small to read/enjoy and thus screen grab, the videos are there for a reference anyway, if needs be, for those mags.
sig-top.jpg
sig-bot.jpg

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
sig-bot.jpg

SGX Engine

Quote from: JAPJAC on 12/30/2017, 04:53 PMSGX Engine-You are doing God's work, thank you.  What a treat it is to see all these old printings again, and some are even new to me.  Print is forever.

I don't know if it will help your arduous task at all, but there is a playlist on my YouTube channel titled 'Retro Magazines'.  I went through every issue of ZERO, C+VG (Mean Machines section), Sinclair User, ACE, RAZE (they covered the PCE heavily) and The Games Machine (what a magazine) and anything PCE will be shown.  Although way too small to read/enjoy and thus screen grab, the videos are there for a reference anyway, if needs be, for those mags.
JAPJAC - Thank you for mentioning your YouTube channel.

The 'Retro Magazines' playlist is making what I wanted to do, in finding PCE articles, considerably easier, it's excellent as a reference.

esteban

Quote from: SGX Engine on 12/31/2017, 11:30 AM
Quote from: JAPJAC on 12/30/2017, 04:53 PMSGX Engine-You are doing God's work, thank you.  What a treat it is to see all these old printings again, and some are even new to me.  Print is forever.

JAPJAC - Thank you for mentioning your YouTube channel.

The 'Retro Magazines' playlist is making what I wanted to do, in finding PCE articles, considerably easier, it's excellent as a reference.
REQUEST: If you one (both! Division of labor!) of you fine bastards type up a list, I will happily include it in my reference table here:

https://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm

NOTE: please note any specific games/page numbers (to make it as useful as possible).

I have actually been working on a major update to that table and my long-neglected project to document all that is PCE.

:)

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
sig-bot.jpg

touko

QuoteI wish I could read French... Joystick issue 8 - September 1990.
it's better to not reading,because there is some bullshits .   :-s

SGX Engine

It's been awhile since I've posted anything.

Check this out, from EGM #18 - January 1991

IMG
IMG

What the editor said here in reply to a letter was true, about Quartermann breaking news on the PC-Engine in July 1988
with a picture of R-Type (in Electronic Game Player magazine, the forerunner to EGM).

IMG

IMG
IMG

Sorry for the blurry pics, I could only do Youtube screen captures of a collector thumbing through 3rd issue of EGP.
I've never ever been able to see it before, since nobody anywhere has scanned the issue.
So yeah, not the first western magazine to cover the PC-Engine, but perhaps the first U.S. magazine to do so.

Ergot_Cholera

Quote from: touko on 01/02/2018, 10:10 AM
QuoteI wish I could read French... Joystick issue 8 - September 1990.
it's better to not reading,because there is some bullshits .   :-s
This is great, it could be applied to almost anything.
It's better to not ........, because there is some bullshits.

NightWolve

Quote from: SGX Engine on 07/20/2018, 12:38 AMIMG
I could swear I saw that article with PC Engine logo and clever headline, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" And it did get off to a good start, at least in Japan!

"Quartermann," heh, that rings a bell too, hearing about what he was up to in random EGM issues on occasion... I mostly liked to look at purty graphics/eye candy in my magazine-collecting days in the 90's, rarely did I read the content unless something really caught my interest/excitement.

Coincidentally, I was looking at my old EGM/EGM2/GamePro/GameFan mag collection a week ago, they're in the way of much needed cleaning, and decided I'm ready to part with all these heavy stacks of gaming history that just sit to collect dust... I want the space, can't just keep them knowing they serve no purpose, just incredible weight on the building...

I hope all have been scanned for online preservation somewhere should nostalgic sentiment arise some time to browse them but oh well. Wish there was an easy way to sell them off, I don't wanna just throw them in the recycling bin my city provides for paper/plastic... But yeah, I'm ready to say good bye to that part of my gaming past and sure as hell don't wanna be a scan slave if others already got most of the job done.

SGX Engine

There were a total of 4 issues of Electronic Game Player in 1988,  issues 2 and 3 are extremely rare and they've not been scanned & uploaded online, AFAIK.

Now, from issue #4

IMG

IMG