10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Suggestions for starting off for NES/Famicom?

Started by Izod1337, 12/29/2017, 04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izod1337

Hey all, hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season. I bought myself an AVS and so far I've been playing the Castlevania games. I'm looking to play and get some more NES or Famicom games for $20 or less. Anybody have any game suggestions that are non-Nintendo developed? Thanks!

CrackTiger

If you're not using real hardware you might as well stick to an Everdrive.

What kinds of games do you like and dislike?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

bartre

cheapo NES games I've enjoyed:
Batman
Astyanax (think broke dick ninja gaiden)
Startropics
Monster Party

But honestly I'd even expand CrackTiger's statement to "if you don't already have a ton of NES stuff, just stick to an everdrive"
they're under $100, and these days that's what, 2-3 Megaman games?

Izod1337

I've yet to use an everdrive so which would you recommend?

I'm into pretty much every genre. I've played many NES games on other consoles through collectione like Ninja Gaiden, Megaman, and Mario.

I'll check those out bartre, thanks.

LostFlunky

A Boy and His Blob - shouldn't set you back too much.
Dr. Mario
Bubble Bobble

CrackTiger

Even if anyone wants to still buy original carts, a flashcart is the best way to play so many translated and customized games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

sirhcman

The vast majority of third party NES games can be had for under $20. Some of the ones I like are: Rock N Ball, RC Pro Am, Tetris (technically this is Nintendo developed), Cobra Triangle, Snake Rattle n roll, Battletoads, Blades of Steel, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Duck Tales, Jackal, Super Off Road, Indy Heat.. That is just a small sampling, I could go on if you want

nopepper

There are a lot of great NES games that can be had for less than $20, basically some of the best games on the system:

Super Mario Bros.
Bionic Commando
Mega Man 2 and 3
Ducktales
Gradius
Adventures of Lolo
Blaster Master
Punch Out
Metroid
Excitebike
Adventures of Lolo
Crystalis
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Double Dragon 2
Batman
Rygar
Lifeforce
Zanac
Xexyz
Tetris
Shadowgate

You can also get some of the more expensive 1st party stuff in Famicom carts for big savings, such as Kirby and Mario 3, which can be had for dirt cheap. Same for other 3rd party stuff like Rockman 4 and 5 and the Adventure Island series.

DeshDildo

Here's a list of great games that are $20 or less that haven't been mentioned and are all fun plays.

8 Eyes
Adventure Island
Adventure Island II
Air Fortress
Alien Syndrome
Batman Returns
Battle of Olympus
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Eliminator Boat Duel
Faxanadu
Gremlins 2
Guardian Legend
Guerrilla War
Gun Smoke
Joe and Mac
Journey to Silius (runs around $25 loose but it's one of my personal favorite games for the system)
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Little Nemo The Dream Master
Magic of Scheherazade
Nightshade
POW
Spy Hunter
Tiny Toon Adventures
Willow
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

in99flames

If you ever feel like affording it....the price isn't for ones with weak hearts...Bucky O Hare is an awesome game. Very challenging and fun. Again, only if you fele like splurging on a game :-P
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

PukeSter

Not a big nes fan but there's definitely a bunch I haven't tried.

You cannot go wrong with these:

MegaMan 1 through 6 (all of them)
Wai Wai World 2
Ninja Gaiden 3 (Japan)
Spartan X2
Adventure Island IV

The kunio games are all quality but a bunch of them, including River City ransom, are better on Turbografx.

The Bonk's Adventure port is also a far cry from the original (especially the lack of color) but it's better than nothing

sirhcman

DeshDildo

Lukester can't look back on the NES with any sort of nostalgia.  Remember, he's pretty young so XBOX 360 was probably his first console growing up.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

PukeSter

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2018, 04:37 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 01/17/2018, 02:33 PMNot a big nes fan
Not a big lukester fan (anymore) ;-)
Can't say I'm a fan of "Hannah Montana The Movie". How many gamescore points did that net you? :)

Quote from: Desh on 01/17/2018, 04:57 PMLukester can't look back on the NES with any sort of nostalgia.  Remember, he's pretty young so XBOX 360 was probably his first console growing up.
Was actually the ps2 but pretty close. Didn't get a 360 until high school because my family had a no violence rule at the time. Sucked being stuck with a Wii even though everyone else had MW2 and Halo 3.

That said I like all 3 16-bit systems more than the nes.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2018, 05:05 PMCan't say I'm a fan of "Hannah Montana The Movie". How many gamescore points did that net you? :)
Don't knock it til you tried it!

SuperDeadite

Get an FDSStick.  http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/
The best way to play FDS.
If you are on a CRT, get yourself the 3D System, boot up Falsion, and be amazed!
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TR0N

I can suggest a few nes/famicom games as well.

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
Don Doko Don 2
Sweet Home
Crisis Force,beware it has gotten pricey.
Mad City,japanese version of bayou billy and a easier game.
Holy Diver,also pricey for a original but retro bit is having a release.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

BigusSchmuck

I would recommend the Wizardry and Ultima games for the NES. Rampart for the Famicom is pretty bad ass too. Oh yeah and the original Gooneis. Can't go wrong with that. :P

Medic_wheat

I'll recommend some games shortly.

However. I'd say just get a Analouge Nt mini. It's "clone" sure but apart from allowing both famicom, nes, pal physical cart to olay you get:

HDMI out
RGB our
Sd card slot which allowed:

Roma to be played for

NES
Atari
SMS
Game boy
Gamebiy color
Game gear

And some other stuff

So it's cheaper then buying a AVS and everdrive. Also has more flexibility.

VmprHntrD

It's kind of a cop out saying this, but sticking to stuff the US didn't get at all (or is now grossly overpriced ($100+) there is a fairly safe way to go with it.

Arcade conversions, console conversions from other systems (Bonk NES =300 loose, 20~ on FC), and the unique Konami releases are great places to start looking for some pretty solid quality.  Second to that, if you're using a rom box (android tablet/phone, retron, retrofreak) that can run translations or a SD card using kit -- head over to romhacking and find any 97-100% translation patches.  People rarely waste 100s of hours on hot garbage.

Xanadu Gaiden

For Famicom I recommend Quarth from Konami. It's cheap and an amazing puzzle/ shooter hybrid. One of the best 8-bit games period.

TheClash603

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/20/2018, 06:41 PMGet an FDSStick.  http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/
If you are on a CRT, get yourself the 3D System, boot up Falsion, and be amazed!
Never knew this existed, I just play the actual disks and eagerly await for them all to break.  It's a shame that it looks like when using a Twin you need to be the world's greatest engineer to hook it up.

To the OP, get a bunch of the Chinese pirate games and thank me later.  Things like Street Fighter 12, Somari, and Super Mario World are in heavy Famicom rotation at my house.

roflmao

Bloufo

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/09/2018, 08:40 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/20/2018, 06:41 PMGet an FDSStick.  http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/
Never knew this existed, I just play the actual disks and eagerly await for them all to break.  It's a shame that it looks like when using a Twin you need to be the world's greatest engineer to hook it up.
Did you know you can play Fami Disk games via a SNES?  :P

IMG

VmprHntrD

The 150in1 is one of the better, but there is an even nicer one, and in Famicom format can cost you like 1/2 the price of that.  The Super Games 500in1.  It has maybe 330~ unique games with NO repeats, and the other are subpar lesser than homebrew quality pure garbage from who knows where.

The 500in1 has a lot of those $50-1000 Famicom/NES era stuff people go stupid over with their wallets now so the selection is a fantastic slice of goodies.  It does lack some of those games people go nuts over, but they tend to be chipped games by the maker.  Things like the Konami VRC line of stuff (Twinbee 3, Gradius 2, Yume Monogatari Penguin, Castlevania III, Crisis Force, Bio Miracle Bokuette Upa, and others aren't on it.)  But you do get the nasties like Adventure Island 4, Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2, Contra Force, TMNT Tournament Fighters, Rescue Rangers 2, Gun Nac, Flintstones 2, and others.  I'd go find a list and skim it as it's crazy.

roflmao

Quote from: VmprHntrD on 02/09/2018, 04:23 PMThe 150in1 is one of the better, but there is an even nicer one, and in Famicom format can cost you like 1/2 the price of that.  The Super Games 500in1.  It has maybe 330~ unique games with NO repeats, and the other are subpar lesser than homebrew quality pure garbage from who knows where.

The 500in1 has a lot of those $50-1000 Famicom/NES era stuff people go stupid over with their wallets now so the selection is a fantastic slice of goodies.  It does lack some of those games people go nuts over, but they tend to be chipped games by the maker.  Things like the Konami VRC line of stuff (Twinbee 3, Gradius 2, Yume Monogatari Penguin, Castlevania III, Crisis Force, Bio Miracle Bokuette Upa, and others aren't on it.)  But you do get the nasties like Adventure Island 4, Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2, Contra Force, TMNT Tournament Fighters, Rescue Rangers 2, Gun Nac, Flintstones 2, and others.  I'd go find a list and skim it as it's crazy.
Yeah, I've got this 340-in-1 cart for the Famicom and it's got tons of awesome games on it.

IMG

in99flames

I little known shooter i really like is Abadox. Very challenging and cool.
I don't like baseball games,but this one was always a blast: Bad News Baseball.

Try those 2
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)