10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Namco vs Namcot

Started by Gypsy, 12/30/2017, 02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy

Any gaming historians know the deal here? Nothing I found by googling was all that convincing.

esteban

I, too, always wondered about this, but never researched it.

Here's my 2ยข:

Namco (sans "t") = a more internationally-friendly version for branding purposes.

It sounds less-silly to English-speaking audiences, IMHO.

(Like I said, this is my dumbass explanation...I'm ignorant as f*ck on this...I don't even know what Namcot was supposed to reference, if anything! Ha!)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PukeSter

Namcot was the home division

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 12/30/2017, 03:23 PMNamcot was the home division
This was always how I understood it, NAMCO was the overall name, while Namcot was the name they published games for home consoles under, during the heyday.  Hence why arcade machine, theme parks etc have the NAMCO name while your PC engine games say Namcot.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

EmperorIng

Two different takes:

1) NAMCO [Home Entertainmen]T - thus, their home console ports/original projects carried the logo

2) On another forum I go to, a user had a chance to hear from the horse's mouth:

QuoteI recently met Masanobu Endo (the Xevious and Druaga guy) and had a chance to ask him about the meaning of "Namcot".

Apparently the name was chosen by Toru Iwatani and comes from "pet" and "mascot", giving the impression of something small you can keep at home (as opposed to the "big" arcade games).
Perhaps apocryphal, but a neat insight nonetheless!

Fun trivia fact: Namcot spelled backwards is Tocman; Toc-Man being the villain of Pac-World! Might remind you of how Super Darius/Darius Plus's pilots, PROCO and TIAT, are TAITO CORP spelled backwards.  8)

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 12/31/2017, 12:35 AMPerhaps apocryphal, but a neat insight nonetheless!

Fun trivia fact: Namcot spelled backwards is Tocman; Toc-Man being the villain of Pac-World! Might remind you of how Super Darius/Darius Plus's pilots, PROCO and TIAT, are TAITO CORP spelled backwards. 
Thanks for sharing the "two different origin stories"...

...but it was the Toc-Man and PROCO trivia that I love to learn about the most because it is CONCRETELY OBVIOUS, yet I never knew it.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy