What is a Good PC Engine Controller?

Started by Purple1308, 01/20/2018, 09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple1308

What is the best pc engine controller? For gaming I own a battle pad and the d pad is the worst so I was wondering about converters or controllers so I can get a better d pad.

Gypsy

CrackTiger

The most common "2" button pads with turbo switches is my favorite controller of all time.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2018, 10:27 PMThe most common "2" button pads with turbo switches is my favorite controller of all time.
It's a great design for sure. I have a 3 button but I don't use it unless I have to.

PukeSter

My favorite the the Avenue Pad 3. Has a mappable run/select button

SignOfZeta

IMG

esteban

These are good:
IMG

...especially if you have a malformed claw instead of a hand.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

IMG

The best PCE controllers have a mini-DIN that hasn't been bent, broken or crushed by a powerful force.

You can also use TG-16 controllers (we refer to this at pcefx as going "FULL DIN") with a PCE console if you get a DIN to mini-DIN cable.

CrackTiger

I don't like the Blaster for PCE or MD. The d-pad is stiff and not circular. I'd put up with the narrow shape of the pad if there was a reason to use a 3-button pad, but I haven't encountered one yet.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2018, 11:07 AMI don't like the Blaster for PCE or MD. The d-pad is stiff and not circular. I'd put up with the narrow shape of the pad if there was a reason to use a 3-button pad, but I haven't encountered one yet.
Yeah, that sounds like good info to share with folks before they buy something. So...

I should make a disclaimer:  I love Famicom/NES controllers in general (including the d-pads)...

...and my Ave 3 (in addition to the 3-button Blaster above) are my "go-to" pads 90% of the time.

I have fun using the third button to shift speeds in shootemups and other random functions in a handful of games.

3-button pads, in general, are not necessary, but I happen to love using them (only a small percentage of games utilize SELECT and/or RUN button in a significant manner...so clearly, I am easily entertained).

:)

WARNING: The 3-button PC BLASTER has a switch that might be annoying (sharp and pokey) depending on how you hold the controller. My kids don't like it, for example, but I don't have any issues.

Johnpv

I've got 3 different ones, and the Avenue 3, and original models are good but the D-pads are so tiny on them.  I recently got the hori 6 button pad for it, and absolutely love it.  It's become my go to controller for the system.

Purple1308

Thanks for the respones i just got into collecting for pc engine / turbografx and the controller i got is called the battle pad and the d-pad on that thing is horrible.

PunkCryborg

Purple1308

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 01/21/2018, 07:25 PMShuttle pad is the best :D
Those controllers look really comfortable with the wing design.

imparanoic

hori fighter commander is decent, but rare, avenue 6 is nice

turboswimbz

all up to preference

I like most of them

I find the ave 3 to the most comfortable personally. if you play a lot of fighters you'll prob. wnat a 3 or 6 button controller.  if you just play in general, just get a standard pad that works.  IF you like a more arcade feel any of the arcade sticks are great.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NecroPhile

I like all the two-buttoners I've tried; they all feel about the same (and the Ave 3 feels just as good), but I'm most partial to the wireless ones so I'm not tripping over extension cords.  I don't much care for either the Ave 6 or the RX pad, as the former's d-pad makes my thumb sore and the latter's d-pad feels stiff and weird.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

GohanX

I agree with most of the guys here, the regular 2 button pads are generally the best and there's not a lot of difference between them. I've been using a Avenue 3 lately instead since I like the extra button, it feels largely the same but the controller is bigger so it may be more comfortable if you've got bigger hands. I'm undecided since with the two button pads I have my index fingers over the top like a SNES controller as my preferred way of holding it and I can't do that with an Ave 3.

I don't really get the love for the Shuttle pad. It's a fine pad, but I like the regular ones better.

NecroPhile

I want a Shuttle pad and a Hori 6 buttoner.  They both look so comfy.

VmprHntrD

I read the Avenue 3/6 pads are garbage, to go with Hori.

xcrement5x

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 01/21/2018, 07:25 PMShuttle pad is the best :D
I agree with this.

And I've heard to avoid the RX pad as it's kind of shite.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

ClodBusted

The regular CoreGrafx and TurboDuo pads give me a slightly hurting left thumb after playing some hectic shooters. Still, I like them much better than the Genesis 3-button controllers. Having adjustable turbo switches is a must for games like Gradius. Concave buttons are not my thing for long sessions, but they do the job well enough.

I haven't spent enough time with the Avenue 3 pad yet to make any conclusion about it. Being able to map button III to select or start is useful for Blazing Lazers. Otherwise anything I said about so far about the regular controllers applies to it, too.

The Hori PC Fighting Commander is a quite nice 6-button controller. I've got to spend some more time with it, but I think the strictly cross-shaped D-pad and convex buttons are pleasant to operate. Sometimes I wish you could configure your button placement freely, e.g. like putting the II and I buttons in the places were the SNES controller's Y and B buttons are. Also, having no shoulder buttons with this shape of controller still freaks me out in a funny way. What you can not do is map button III to select or start, if I remember correctly - I've got to double check this tonight.

Purple1308

Quote from: Necromancer on 01/22/2018, 10:03 AMI like all the two-buttoners I've tried; they all feel about the same (and the Ave 3 feels just as good), but I'm most partial to the wireless ones so I'm not tripping over extension cords.  I don't much care for either the Ave 6 or the RX pad, as the former's d-pad makes my thumb sore and the latter's d-pad feels stiff and weird.
Is it radio waves or IR

NecroPhile

Quote from: Purple1308 on 01/22/2018, 05:49 PMIs it radio waves or IR?
IR, so it can be a pain maintaining line of sight sometimes.  I like to play rpgs and digi-comics a lot, though, and those usually don't require close timing and are pretty forgiving if you've tipped the controller too far out of line.

Purple1308

Quote from: Necromancer on 01/22/2018, 06:09 PM
Quote from: Purple1308 on 01/22/2018, 05:49 PMIs it radio waves or IR?
IR, so it can be a pain maintaining line of sight sometimes.  I like to play rpgs and digi-comics a lot, though, and those usually don't require close timing and are pretty forgiving if you've tipped the controller too far out of line.
Darn that sucks

ClodBusted

Another word on the Hori PC Fighting Commander 6-button controller. On mine, the soft plastic of the cord has started to desintegrate, by leaving a sticky residue. No matter how good you clean it, it will become sticky again after a few months.
This is pretty similar to the synthetic rubber overmoldings of screwdrivers, power tools and other devices such as computer mice and the Sony Dualshock 3 joystick rubber caps. Some of them will become awfully sticky to touch over time, others just last dry.

Good thing the cord on that controller is rather generic, I will replace it.

crazydean

We now have bluetooth controllers for NES, SNES, Genny, DC, and Saturn. Maybe someone will make a receiver for the PCE.  [-o<

spenoza

For as plain and chunky and not comfortable-looking as the NEC Avenue Pad 6 is, it's actually really comfortable. It looks like it shouldn't be, but it works.

VmprHntrD

Currently I just have one core grafx II controller, that's it, and I so love that built in turbo as a choice.

That said, I asked around and read around about a 6 button controller, and I'm not certain really why but I see people dump on the Avenue 6 (and 3) for not being so great while the Hori Fighting Commander is top notch.  It has backed me off considering the avenue even if it does cost like $5-10 less.

stlpaul

The standard 2-button NEC pads are awesome.

For 6-button, I like the Hori better than the Avenue 6.

For 3-button, I like the Avenue 3 better than the Blaster Pad.

For arcade sticks I like Hori Fighting Stick PC the best.

But none of the PC-Engine controllers I've used have been bad, just some felt better than others.

I've never tried the Arcade Pad 6 (Duo-RX pad), I've read that the d-pad on it is not great. And I've never had the pleasure of trying any of the weird analog controllers but there's only a few games that work with those anyway.

Digi.k

my NEC Avenue pad 6 is missing from this pic but I like these all..
IMG

Gypsy

I wish the receiver for the wireless pads wasn't so expensive. That's a real nice set of controllers.

soop

Quote from: imparanoic on 01/22/2018, 12:41 AMhori fighter commander is decent, but rare, avenue 6 is nice
This is my fave too.  Kind of annoyed that I can't find mine 🤔
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Purple1308

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/25/2018, 01:29 PMmy NEC Avenue pad 6 is missing from this pic but I like these all..
IMG
What games used the mouse accessory?

Bloufo

ClodBusted

Digi.k

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 01/28/2018, 04:41 AMIMG
Wait...I don't recall ever seeing that PCE TURBO STICK before...

How is that possible?

Anyway, tell me about this item. Any docs inside? Like cute directions with images?

MOAR INFO!

Bloufo

Quote from: esteban on 01/28/2018, 08:45 AMWait...I don't recall ever seeing that PCE TURBO STICK before...

How is that possible?

Anyway, tell me about this item. Any docs inside? Like cute directions with images?

MOAR INFO!

It's model no: PI-PD4.

Originally released back in the late 80's.

IMG
IMG

Purple1308

cabbage

Bloufo

Quote from: Purple1308 on 02/03/2018, 08:10 PMIs that a european controller in the second picture
The 2nd from left controller in the top row?
Yeah that came with the PAL Turbo.

Quote from: cabbage on 02/04/2018, 04:04 AMvistar-pad.webp
Pronounced in Korean as "biseutar"

Purple1308

Quote from: Bloufo on 02/04/2018, 04:34 AM
Quote from: Purple1308 on 02/03/2018, 08:10 PMIs that a european controller in the second picture
The 2nd from left controller in the top row?
Yeah that came with the PAL Turbo.
Quote from: cabbage on 02/04/2018, 04:04 AMvistar-pad.webp
Pronounced in Korean as "biseutar"
Man you got lucky on that one

Ex_Mosquito

With a soldering iron you can make any controller you want with a padhack. The Hori Fighting Commander is pretty nice, though. The PCE pads are pretty bad imo, especially for shooters.

Hori-Fighting-Commander-PC-HPJ-07-TurboGrafx-16-PC-Engine.jpg
/2m6ljwh.jpg

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 01/28/2018, 10:10 AM
Quote from: esteban on 01/28/2018, 08:45 AMWait...I don't recall ever seeing that PCE TURBO STICK before...

How is that possible?

MOAR INFO!

It's model no: PI-PD4.

Originally released back in the late 80's.

IMG
IMG
Comrade!

Thank you very much.

I thought I was very familiar with all things PCE, but something so obvious like this controller just never registered in my brain.

(I have the North American TurboStick...so I assumed the PCE version was simply a different color scheme?)

I wonder how many other obvious things I have missed...

Bloufo

Quote from: esteban on 02/04/2018, 08:35 AMI wonder how many other obvious things I have missed...
I posted those pics even though I thought you may have been putting me on.

I kinda still do. :P

schweaty

I prefer the Hori Commander (the 2-button, not the Fighting Commander).  I think it has the best d-pad

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Ex_Mosquito on 02/04/2018, 07:58 AMWith a soldering iron you can make any controller you want with a padhack. The Hori Fighting Commander is pretty nice, though. The PCE pads are pretty bad imo, especially for shooters.
Bad compared to what?
IMG

Purple1308

Quote from: schweaty on 02/04/2018, 09:46 AMI prefer the Hori Commander (the 2-button, not the Fighting Commander).  I think it has the best d-pad
Wasnt that also on the master system?