@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Intro music from Shape Shifter in Bud light commercials.

Started by Keith Courage, 02/03/2018, 07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Courage

I thought this sounded familiar. I then listened closely and realized it's the exact same recording!!!
I'm surprised I didn't catch this before.

Shape Shifter Intro
Bud Light commercials
There are also other bud light commercials with partial versions of the song but the above samples are obvious.

Makes me wonder where the original music came from. Probably some classical piece I know nothing about.

schweaty

To this discovery, I declare:  DILLY! DILLY!

JoshTurboTrollX

Holy carpe!!  That's amazing!!  OMG!!  Now, I somehow respect Bud Lite a little more than I ever have...

I mean, maybe it's just fair use open music now, and they grabbed it from some sharing site..  OR, maybe one of the editors actually pulled it from his nostalgic love of Turbo CD games that he/she grew up with all those years ago...

Maybe...

Still, amazing find duder!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Psycho Punch

The official Turbografx'er choice for piss water.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

roflmao

seieienbu

Next time I go out I'm drinking a Bud Lite.

...and then washing that garbage juice taste out with a Shiner Bock but that's neither here nor there.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

Truly wierd!  Those last 2 links include variations on the original theme.  The next to the last is especially epic near the end.  I wonder if the variations were made all those years ago, or were recently made to accompany the original?
IMG

esteban

I have not processed this yet.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Cool find!

I'd imagine it's just part of a huge pile of easily licensed tracks that the ad company Bud hired put in there. I'd be surprised if anyone involved even knew the game.

Don't let it give you "respect" for fucking Budweiser, sheesh.

I once heard The Death of Optimus Prime used as BGM for a news article about a member of royalty dying under mysterious circumstances. Not Diana, who ever it was before that. This was in like 1991 so it wasn't even that old at the time and you didn't have anywhere near as many adult TF maniacs at that time so I doubt too many people besides me detected it.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/04/2018, 10:03 AMCool find!

I'd imagine it's just part of a huge pile of easily licensed tracks that the ad company Bud hired put in there. I'd be surprised if anyone involved even knew the game.

Don't let it give you "respect" for fucking Budweiser, sheesh.

I once heard The Death of Optimus Prime used as BGM for a news article about a member of royalty dying under mysterious circumstances. Not Diana, who ever it was before that. This was in like 1991 so it wasn't even that old at the time and you didn't have anywhere near as many adult TF maniacs at that time so I doubt too many people besides me detected it.
What the?  Wow, I know, even at the ripe old age of 15, I would've been flippin' my lid hearing that! So wierd that that song was used!  I'll admit it, I still get a lil emotional when I hear it.
IMG

gilbert

I'm not familiar with Shape Shifter, but according to its credits two people and two companies were responsible for its soundtracks. As they're not listed as composers, it's not clear whether the two people composed all the music tracks in the game, and what role those two companies play(whatever the word "soundtracks" means). Maybe these companies just provided equipments and studio, etc. Maybe some of the tracks in the game were acquired from a library provided by them, thus it would not be impossible for these tracks to be (re)used by other media.

On the other hand, it's possible that some games themselves use pieces of music in the public domain(Loom is a classical(pun) example) or sometimes just license tracks from other media. One relevant example here is Might & Magic (I) for the PCE. In one of their magazine ads it was claimed that the game contained music from Joe Hisaishi, and then NEC Avenue received some complaints on false claims. In fact, the game used in its cutscenes 3 tracks from a documentary called The Universe Within which Hisaishi composed for, and that the soundtrack CDs were published by... none other than NEC Avenue itself. They later added fine prints clarifying this in their ads.

It is also not unheard of, when a composer reuse their own music in different media.

NecroPhile

Heh, good find.  I already thought the medieval ads were funny, but now they're even better.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldTurboBastard

My wild guess: Whoever put together this tune for use in ads, youtube, etc, ripped it off from shapeshifter, knowing full well whoever wrote the tune for the game probably wants to forget that portion of his life working on one of the final handful of games of a failing system, therefore will never bother to take action against anyone using it. In fact, he might be happy more than 1000 people are actually hearing the music if he ever finds out. So the rip off artist knows this, liked the tune and used it for his generic ad music.

Again, wild guess......
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

turboswimbz

I always thought that shape-shifter track sounded like generic medieval music #1. 

Hmmm interesting it's exactly the same, I wonder if we can find the track anywhere else?

Maybe like a history of ye old track over 30 years of commercial use.

I feel like writing AB and seeing if I could get a response on the music just for SAG.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: OldTurboBastard on 02/07/2018, 03:45 PMMy wild guess: Whoever put together this tune for use in ads, youtube, etc, ripped it off from shapeshifter, knowing full well whoever wrote the tune for the game probably wants to forget that portion of his life working on one of the final handful of games of a failing system, therefore will never bother to take action against anyone using it. In fact, he might be happy more than 1000 people are actually hearing the music if he ever finds out. So the rip off artist knows this, liked the tune and used it for his generic ad music.

Again, wild guess......
Anyone doing that could be in serious trouble. These are ads that cost millions and millions of dollars to make. It's not standard practice to just steal shit from whatever you can get it. You get sued that way. It happens, sure, but it's not correct professional behavior. "Don't rip off union musicians to save $1800." is sort of a rule.

I like Gilbert's theory, that it was always clip art music, and that Shapeshifter just used it first. I wonder how many times...
IMG

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/07/2018, 03:57 PMAnyone doing that could be in serious trouble. These are ads that cost millions and millions of dollars to make. It's not standard practice to just steal shit from whatever you can get it. You get sued that way. It happens, sure, but it's not correct professional behavior. "Don't rip off union musicians to save $1800." is sort of a rule.
I'm fully aware my wild theory implies someone risking lawsuit, etc...the premise is that the game is so obscure, someone somewhere, thought they could get away with ripping it off, therefore the tune making it into this pool of  music.  In this scenario, this big million dollar commercial wouldn't have a clue about ripping off anything, they are just hiring out some music for their commercial.

While, I agree it's more likely Shapeshifter borrowed the tune or even helped themselves to it, it would be fun to find out if in fact Shapeshifter WAS the original source - in that vein, i'm sticking with my wild tale of ad musician conspiracy.
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

SignOfZeta

Anything is possible but...you know that terrible Dodge ad with the MLK speech in it that's in the news because everyone hates it? That's a copyrighted speech. They paid for that. They didn't do enough research to know that the end product would work as an anti-ad, something obvious to anyone, but even they knew to pay for the tape.
IMG

NecroPhile

Everyone bitches about the Ram ad but I don't hear enough bitching about the King family whoring out the man's legacy to anyone with a buck.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

I'm almost sure that this came out of a music library LP. I wish there was an easy way to search for those using bits of the source music.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2018, 09:26 AMEveryone bitches about the Ram ad but I don't hear enough bitching about the King family whoring out the man's legacy to anyone with a buck.
True story: they sent me a takedown notice for using a sample of his in a song I made in like 1998. They want you to buy the whole address on CD.
IMG

jlued686

I fucking hate these commercials simply because Budweiser is trying so hard to make "Dilly Dilly" a thing. I swear, the first time I go into a shithole bar and hear someone say, "Dilly Dilly!" I'm going to stab him in the throat.

exodus

This is super neat and weird! I'm sure it's licensed music from a library though, as zeta suggests, otherwise they'd be in a load of trouble. Either this music was licensed by both shapeshifter and bud light, or after the release of shapeshifter the composer was allowed to enter their music into a licensing library. Still, neat and weird!!