Sega Lord X reviews the Street Fighter II Champion Edition PC Engine port.
Main Menu

Hey it's Lent

Started by xcrement5x, 02/15/2018, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

So Lent started yesterday and runs until Thursday, March 29.

Anyone here observe, traditional or otherwise?  I know there has been an upward trend of people doing "secular lent" and giving up various things for the period.  I guess Twitter is the most popular thing for people to give up for Lent this year. 

hoobs88

Doesn't Lent run until Easter?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Galad

Where did you get March 29 from?

NecroPhile

Xele is a good Catholic.  Lent ends on Holy Thursday with the Mass of the Last Supper.

I don't do anything for lent.  I don't really have any luxuries or vices that I could give up that would really be a sacrifice.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

im gonna lent my foot in someones ass
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

I'm giving up gamehuggers for lent. Can't wait until April!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

xcrement5x

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/15/2018, 02:27 PMI'm giving up gamehuggers for lent. Can't wait until April!!
Goddamnint Josh, you can't give up something you've already given up. 

And I'm actually not a good Catholic (is anyone really?), I got the date from Google because most of the time it knows more than me. 

crazydean

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/15/2018, 01:51 PMXele is a good Catholic.  Lent ends on Holy Thursday with the Mass of the Last Supper.

I don't do anything for lent.  I don't really have any luxuries or vices that I could give up that would really be a sacrifice.
What about PC Engine?

NecroPhile

I wouldn't want to give it up, but it wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice for only 40 days.  Harder would be to give up gaming altogether.

TheClash603

I just do the no meat on ash Wednesday and for all Fridays through lent.  I'm not a church going type, but being born and raised in a predominantly Roman Catholic city has rubbed off on me this much.

...Plus it makes my mom proud of me, for once.

ToyMachine78

NecroPhile

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/15/2018, 06:35 PMI just do the no meat on ash Wednesday and for all Fridays through lent.  I'm not a church going type, but being born and raised in a predominantly Roman Catholic city has rubbed off on me this much.
Priests rubbed off on a lot of boys over the years.

majors

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2018, 02:36 PMAnd I'm actually not a good Catholic (is anyone really?)
Typical Catholic. My fam are much more religious, but I'm the fallen one as I'm told. Last mass I attended was prolly when my cousin got married 5-6 years ago...I've been to my girls' Episcopalian more recently, but as my fam tells me, "that does not count".

So, No. I'm not doing shit for lent.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

LostFlunky

I am thinking about giving up my dumb lent joke...

"I'm giving up lent!"

Nah...

esteban

I gave up pcefx for Lent.

I blame the devil for this horrid affair with FacialBook and InstaShite.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 04/15/2018, 09:48 AMI gave up pcefx for Lent.

I blame the devil for this horrid affair with FacialBook and InstaShite.
Just to give credit where credit is due, "FacialBook" was sparky's joke comrade. I know you heard it from me first and took a liking to it, but I should not let you continue to think I was responsible for that creativity. ;)

xcrement5x

I made it through my Lent abstinence but probably didn't get that much out of it.  Didn't even go to church for Easter, but I made it last week.

My daughter loves church because she has somehow associated it with the donuts afterwards.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 11:27 PMI made it through my Lent abstinence but probably didn't get that much out of it.  Didn't even go to church for Easter, but I made it last week.

My daughter loves church because she has somehow associated it with the donuts afterwards.
Let me be the first atheist to admit that I would go to church if I was guaranteed donuts and coffee.

Amen.

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 04/18/2018, 12:24 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 11:27 PMI made it through my Lent abstinence but probably didn't get that much out of it.  Didn't even go to church for Easter, but I made it last week.

Let me be the first atheist to admit that I would go to church if I was guaranteed donuts and coffee.

Amen.
The churches I went to as a kid always had free coffee and sometimes donuts!

I have been to a few that actually sell coffee...that's a little too close to business in a house of worship to me. I'm not personally offended, but it's quite hypocritical.

NecroPhile

Some friends go to a church with two hour services with a half hour "intermission" for coffee and donuts right in the middle.  I love me some donuts, but damn... two hours?!?

Still, I almost feel cheated only getting a little cracker.  :mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/18/2018, 12:37 PMSome friends go to a church with two hour services with a half hour "intermission" for coffee and donuts right in the middle.  I love me some donuts, but damn... two hours?!?

Pour some Velveeta on that cracker and

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/18/2018, 12:37 PMSome friends go to a church with two hour services with a half hour "intermission" for coffee and donuts right in the middle.  I love me some donuts, but damn... two hours?!?

Churches have come a long way. These days its commonplace for them to prominently feature same-sex couple make out tents right next to the smoking section.

God bless America.

<3
IMG

wildfruit

I agnostically abstain from abstaining. Though my dad only had fish on Friday growing up and when I was younger I did go church occasionally. Not too regularly but I went to a church school so it was like going every day.

soop

Fun fact: back in the day, the church declared that beavers were fish.  The reason?  So the pope could eat beavers on the sabbath.  No innuendo intended.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

NightWolve

Quote from: soop on 04/18/2018, 06:30 PMFun fact: back in the day, the church declared that beavers were fish.  The reason?  So the pope could eat beavers on the sabbath.  No innuendo intended.
:lol:

So that was true, ha! I thought your denial of innuendo was sarcasm!