RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Guide - Built-In Game for the TurboGrafx

Started by TailChao, 02/21/2018, 11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TailChao

I was doing some rework on my TurboGrafx and decided to poke around at the unpopulated chip pads for IC107 and IC108 near the HuCard slot.

I've seen literature claiming these may have been intended for a built-in game. But after tracing back the pinout of both chips it looks more like IC107 was just supposed to contain a small instruction screen which is displayed when you start the console without a card (like the Master System). IC108 controls the mapping, and probably was just supposed to obfuscate the address line mapping of IC107 to make it more difficult to install stolen software.

But that's just a guess.

Anyway, with some work we can install our own built-in game up to 8 MEGA POWER in size. What we're going to do is adapt the original socket to hold a 27C801 compatible chip and add a small circuit to activate this ROM if and only if a HuCard isn't inserted. I'd rate this at moderate difficulty if you'd like to try, i.e. you should have some basic electronics knowledge and steady hands.

Let's do some soldering.

Here's the pinout for IC107 :
                IC107
              _____ _____
        VCC | 1  v  32 | VCC
        OEn | 2      31 | R139 *
        GND | 3      30 | GND
        GND | 4      29 | GND
 ** IC108,18 | 5  2  28 | GND
 ** IC108,19 | 6  3  27 | IC108,17 **
 ** IC108,20 | 7  C  26 | IC108,16 **
 ** IC108,21 | 8  1  25 | GND
 ** IC108,22 | 9  0  24 | GND
          A2 | 10  0  23 | GND
          A1 | 11  0  22 | IC108,15 **
          A0 | 12  E  21 | D7
          D0 | 13    20 | D6
          D1 | 14    19 | D5
          D2 | 15    18 | D4
        GND | 16    17 | D3
            |___________|

* R139 isn't populated, so this is NC'd.
    Looks like it was just supposed to be a pullup.

** IC108 isn't populated, so these are NC'd.

We need to modify it like this :
                                        IC107
                                      _____ _____
              *** A19 (HuCard Pin 3) | 1  v  32 | VCC
              *** A16 (HuCard Pin 4) | 2      31 | A18 (HuCard Pin 33)
              *** A15 (HuCard Pin 5) | 3      30 | A17 (HuCard Pin 32) ***
              *** A12 (HuCard Pin 6) | 4      29 | A14 (HuCard Pin 31) ***
  **** A7 (HuCard Pin 7) <- IC108,18 | 5      28 | A13 (HuCard Pin 30) ***
  **** A6 (HuCard Pin 8) <- IC108,19 | 6  2  27 | IC108,17 -> A8 (HuCard Pin 29)
  **** A5 (HuCard Pin 9) <- IC108,20 | 7  7  26 | IC108,16 -> A9 (HuCard Pin 28)
 **** A4 (HuCard Pin 10) <- IC108,21 | 8  C  25 | A11 (HuCard Pin 27) ***
 **** A3 (HuCard Pin 11) <- IC108,22 | 9  8  24 | OEn (HuCard Pin 26) ***
                                  A2 | 10  0  23 | A10 (HuCard Pin 25) ***
                                  A1 | 11  1  22 | IC108,15 -> GAME_CSn
                                  A0 | 12    21 | D7
                                  D0 | 13    20 | D6
                                  D1 | 14    19 | D5
                                  D2 | 15    18 | D4
                                GND | 16    17 | D3
                                    |___________|

*** Original trace must be cut.

**** You can also just reconnect these address pins on IC108's pad.
      A7 == IC108,18 -> IC108,64
      A6 == IC108,19 -> IC108,63
      A5 == IC108,20 -> IC108,62
      A4 == IC108,21 -> IC108,61
      A3 == IC108,22 -> IC108,60

The circuit to enable the internal game (GAME_CSn) when a card isn't inserted can be two NAND gates using A20 (HuCard Pin 24) and CARDn (HuCard Pin 1).
GAME_CSn = !(!(A20 & A20) & CARDn)

This can be implemented with a single 74LS00. Below are two photos of my board to give an idea of how much stuff you'll have to add.

IMG
IMG

Keep in mind some of the patch wires here are for different repairs or from when I was reverse engineering stuff. Basically, doing this won't make such a huge mess.

HuMan

If I actually had a TG16, this would be fun to do.

NecroPhile

Heh, that's pretty neat.  Looks like a relatively clean install and I'm surprised you can fit all those kangaroos in.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TailChao

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 11:56 AMHeh, that's pretty neat.  Looks like a relatively clean install and I'm surprised you can fit all those kangaroos in.
I was considering putting a System Card 2.0 in there so it'd be just like owning a Duo except worse, but the kangaroos are a way better resident. Best option is probably to install Magical Chase and flip the thing on eBay so I can buy a few cars.

Anyway, TurboGrafx is all put back together.

No game inserted gives you Kangaroo Mans '94.
IMG

Putting a card in will run that instead.
IMG

CD Stupid Cards and rare sharpie-edition games are still fine.
IMG

NecroPhile

So are those empty spots only on the TG-16 (and maybe PAL TG) or are they on all the PCEs, Duos, Shuttles, etc. too?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TailChao

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 03:20 PMSo are those empty spots only on the TG-16 (and maybe PAL TG) or are they on all the PCEs, Duos, Shuttles, etc. too?
As far as I know they're only in NTSC TurboGrafen.

CrackTiger

This is very cool. :)

Magical Chase gouging is never a joke. The first time I saw this done to a TG-16, it was an ebay listing someone posted here. It was sold as a 'rare" one of a kind unit with Magical Chase built-in.

I'd love to have one made with a homebrew rom like Atlantean and dye/paint it blue to match. Maybe change the logo to Aetherbyte-16 or something. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ergot_Cholera

This is amazing stuff. I wish I still had my PAL Turbografx to check for the empty pads.

P.S. I like your wood.

TheClash603

Step 1: Port Stroker to TG16.
Step 2: Install as built-in game.
Step 3:  Sell on eBay without listing built-in game.
Step 4:  Positive feedback.

TailChao

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 04:14 PMMagical Chase gouging is never a joke. The first time I saw this done to a TG-16, it was an ebay listing someone posted here. It was sold as a 'rare" one of a kind unit with Magical Chase built-in.
That's ridiculous. I do remember seeing another TurboGrafx with this modification though, so maybe it was that one.

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 04:14 PMI'd love to have one made with a homebrew rom like Atlantean and dye/paint it blue to match. Maybe change the logo to Aetherbutt-16 or something. :P
That could be pretty nice. There's been enough decorated consoles given away in Kickstarters and such that don't have the game they're promoting built-in.

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 05:24 PMThis is amazing stuff. I wish I still had my PAL Turbografx to check for the empty pads.
The PAL board photos I've seen just have a big ground plane where the pads were, but that doesn't mean they're all that way.

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 05:24 PMP.S. I like your wood.
At first I thought you meant the television. But yeah, the floor is nice too.

Vecanti

Is it possible this was going to be for a built in System card?

TailChao

Quote from: Vecanti on 02/24/2018, 08:14 PMIs it possible this was going to be for a built in System card?
I don't think so, at least if the data were only going to be stored in IC107. Enough of the address pins are grounded that a 27C1000 compatible ROM would only be able to contain 1KB of data.

seieienbu

I remember the Magical Chase TG auction from a while ago and I recall thinking that it was interesting.  I'm glad I see how it was actually done, finally.  This is really cool.

Yeah, even if it's only system card 2.0 that still seems to be the best option unless you're looking to hawk magical chase and buy an island.  I think a new startup screen before whatever game loads would be kinda neat too.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Marll

System card 2.0 would be kind of neat to do. Has anyone else also done this, but maybe with a different game, like Keith Courage since that was the original pack-in game for the US?

Has anyone thought about doing the instructions as were mentioned in the original post, just curious to see what that might look like.

Overall it's a pretty neat mod that I wouldn't mind doing, if I can find the time. I've got other repairs that my systems need, and some desired mods I haven't gotten around to.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Keith Courage

How about just wiring in an entire Turbo Everdrive? Pretty sure Turbokon did that one once.