OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Another Piece of the 80's Lost...

Started by ToyMachine78, 03/15/2018, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToyMachine78

I really hate seeing this, even though they've been in trouble for a while. I have so many fond memories of trips to ToysRUs, and standing mesmerized by their wall of games for all systems. Best selection anywhere.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/toys-r-us-files-liquidate-044506784.html

:cry:

seieienbu

Later in it's life, Toys R Us was the only place in town that carried Turbo stuff.  I got a lot of stuff from them so I'll be sad to see them go.

After we heard on the news that all Toys R Us locations would be closing in 6 weeks I went with my girlfriend to check out the local one.  She got a lot of her Sega games from them so she had similar feelings about the store.  It had a sign up stating that it was going to stay open so I'm not sure what the status is on it or all other stores.

I'll always remember the "Toys R Us Kids" commercials that I would see during Saturday morning cartoons.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

The last TG-16 item I ever bought retail was Vasteel in... 1994?

Not sure about the date, but it probably wasn't earlier than 1994...maybe even 1995?

$10
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

Yeah, there's a great video on this topic from when they initially declared bankruptcy. It wasn't that their business was THAT bad, but issues due to a leveraged buyout over a decade ago.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

I shop toys r us. But that trend only started once I became a father.

However. It always felt items where higher priced on average. True they price match but still. Toys r us has never been a first place to stop for games and such.

As a kid. Well I loved it as a kid. It was never my money and Wall tk wall toys.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/15/2018, 05:02 PMI shop toys r us. But that trend only started once I became a father.
Congrats on reaching priesthood!
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Not surprised. They were not competitive.

TheClash603

The store still has some really good stuff in it, but it's prices aren't great and it's website is awful.  I often wonder how mega retailers didn't decide to dump a ton of money into their websites once Amazon started stealing their business.  Now it's too little too late for most, but 5-10 years ago there was still a chance. 

I loved this store as a kid and even seeing the commercial filled me with joy.  I didn't get to go too much, my family knew I'd want everything and we didn't have the money to oblige my greed, but it was always an a huge treat when I did go.

Kids hate toys now anyway, cell phones and tablets are all they want.

TR0N

R.I.P,TRU yeah i've watched videos on what brought them down.I do remember when i was a kid in the 80'&90's,tru was the place to go for video games and toys.Though by the 2000's it wasn't the same any more and beside what kids want now which are tablets and smart phones.It seems,they didn't adapt to change and having good management at all.Any one else remember when you had to use a ticket to buy a game from tru ?
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TR0N on 03/16/2018, 12:50 AMR.I.P,TRU yeah i've watched videos on what brought them down.I do remember when i was a kid in the 80'&90's,tru was the place to go for video games and toys.Though by the 2000's it wasn't the same any more and beside what kids want now which are tablets and smart phones.It seems,they didn't adapt to change and having good management at all.Any one else remember when you had to use a ticket to buy a game from tru ?
Yes, VidPro cards and bringing the paper slip to the cashier to get the game from a cage was a large part of many peoples childhoods. And it stuck around for a long time, I remember getting Panzer Dragoon Saga that way in 1998 before they had the R-Zone section specifically for games.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/15/2018, 11:04 PMThe store still has some really good stuff in it, but it's prices aren't great and it's website is awful.  I often wonder how mega retailers didn't decide to dump a ton of money into their websites once Amazon started stealing their business.  Now it's too little too late for most, but 5-10 years ago there was still a chance. 

I loved this store as a kid and even seeing the commercial filled me with joy.  I didn't get to go too much, my family knew I'd want everything and we didn't have the money to oblige my greed, but it was always an a huge treat when I did go.

Kids hate toys now anyway, cell phones and tablets are all they want.
Kids want to watch other kids playing with toys on youtube now.

As far as not putting more money into websites it's the same short sighted decision making that led to Blockbuster not buying out Netflix for peanuts when they had the chance.

Galad

Quote from: TR0N on 03/16/2018, 12:50 AMAny one else remember when you had to use a ticket to buy a game from tru ?
Yes

Medic_wheat

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/15/2018, 05:19 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/15/2018, 05:02 PMI shop toys r us. But that trend only started once I became a father.
Congrats on reaching priesthood!
Someone get me my shalallie so I can out the fear of God in this lost way word son.

TR0N

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/16/2018, 08:52 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 03/16/2018, 12:50 AMR.I.P,TRU yeah i've watched videos on what brought them down.I do remember when i was a kid in the 80'&90's,tru was the place to go for video games and toys.Though by the 2000's it wasn't the same any more and beside what kids want now which are tablets and smart phones.It seems,they didn't adapt to change and having good management at all.Any one else remember when you had to use a ticket to buy a game from tru ?
Yes, VidPro cards and bringing the paper slip to the cashier to get the game from a cage was a large part of many peoples childhoods. And it stuck around for a long time, I remember getting Panzer Dragoon Saga that way in 1998 before they had the R-Zone section specifically for games.
Yeah it lasted up to the saturn,n64 and PS1 era.Afther that games were sold on the shelf.I remember when i was a kid i use to live not far from a tru,often i walk down to it buy nes games.When blades of steel first came out i didn't see a card or paper slips.So i went down to the booth and ask and i was able to buy the game regardless.
IMG

SuperGrafx

ParanoiaDragon

Many a memory I have riding my bike down to TRU for Turbo games.  I wish I had some video's of the Turbo section among other things.

However, on that note, here comes KB Toys back from the dead?!?

https://tformers.com/were-going-to-save-the-toy-industry-kb-toys-to-be-revived-in-the-wake-of-toysrus-destruction/33354/news.html
IMG

TheClash603

KB was my primary toy store.  It was in the mall, so I could get into it without having to convince my parents to do a drive to a separate toy store.  I llloooovvvveeeeddd KB, which is the toy store I have the most actual nostalgia for.

I remember getting my Jaguar and about  15 games for about $100 on clearance at KB.  Also bought Shaq Fu at KB.  Place had nothing but the best.

xcrement5x

KayBee was in the mall for me too, their clearance bins were always fun to dig through as a non-driving mallrat in the 90s as well.

TR0N

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/20/2018, 03:51 AMMany a memory I have riding my bike down to TRU for Turbo games.  I wish I had some video's of the Turbo section among other things.

However, on that note, here comes KB Toys back from the dead?!?

https://tformers.com/were-going-to-save-the-toy-industry-kb-toys-to-be-revived-in-the-wake-of-toysrus-destruction/33354/news.html
I wouldn't have a problem if kb toys was revived.80's&90's was my go to as well for toys&games at kb.Still,a full on retailer or having just having locations setup in malls i wonder.
IMG

bob

I remember getting ActionMax from KB back when they were clearing them out.  All the tapes were 4.99.  Grabbed them all, but played the shit out of Pops Ghostly

seieienbu

Kaybee Toys was always higher priced than most places in my hometown so I only recall picking up a couple of games from them.  I got Shadow of the Ninja and Double Dragon 3 on NES from Kaybee Toys.  I don't recall them ever having Turbo stuff off the top of my head. 

They had a really nice selection of action figures though.  I recall getting a lot of Transformers from them.

nopepper

Since I grew up with the Sega Master System, Phantasy Star 2 made the Genesis a necessary choice for a starving teenager. But back then, I knew the Turbo was still a worthy adversary and that, some day, when I was a grown up and shit, I would get one.

Toys R Us was the ONLY place I could peruse the catalog so intimately, as magazines could only do so much, and I did not know anyone with one (and my passion for gaming).

For that, it will always hold a place in my heart. It's unfortunate for them that Amazon is just so convenient in comparison...

Fidde_se

Toys'R'Us are unaffected in the Nordic countries for now, there it will live on for some time, stores are owned by TOP-TOY A/S (Denmark) and runs a license to be Toys'R'Us and that license seems to be valid even if the mother corporation goes under, it's only TRU and BR (Fætter BR, Danish too) that's left of all the big toy stores around here, but TRU also sells a lot online here.

Back in the 80 we had Big&Little that was THE toystore here back then, that has somehow
remerged online for being gone in like 20 years time, nostalgic for us...

That logo is for us what TRU are for Americans.
IMG
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

EvilEvoIX

I will miss going there as a child with a fist full of Jeffery Dollars and getting a Game Boy or a Game Gear or a giant Super Soaker.  Tragic
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

crazydean

I went there today. Anything good was either 5% or 10% off. Their stuff is still more expensive than everywhere else. What a joke. No surprise they are closing.

xcrement5x

Quote from: crazydean on 03/26/2018, 09:31 PMI went there today. Anything good was either 5% or 10% off. Their stuff is still more expensive than everywhere else. What a joke. No surprise they are closing.
Yeah, same thing in my area.  A couple sections were a bit more discounted, but it was not very much. 

esteban

Quote from: Fidde_se on 03/24/2018, 05:34 AMBack in the 80 we had Big&Little that was THE toystore here back then, that has somehow
remerged online for being gone in like 20 years time, nostalgic for us...

That logo is for us what TRU are for Americans.
IMG
Ok, that is awesome.

We need to bring back mascots like this.

SRSLY.

PERSONALLY, although I purchased my TG-16 and first few games from TRU, most of my memories purchasing games are from a local mom-n-pop (TG-CD, Splatterhouse, Bloody Wolf, Final Zone II, etc)

And Electronics Boutique and Software Etc.  In the mall.

I think most games were from the mall  ?

Probably.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/26/2018, 08:58 PMI will miss going there as a child with a fist full of Jeffery Dollars and getting a Game Boy or a Game Gear or a giant Super Soaker.  Tragic
You will miss going there as a child now that it's closed, or you've always missed going there since being a child lol

ParanoiaDragon

I went back n forth between TRU & Babbage's for most my games, bought a few at Die Hard out in the San Fernando Valley, & a few here & there from TZD.  I don't think I bought any from Software Etc., though I do think there was one on the Oaks Mall at the time.  Don't recall buying anything there until PS1 was already out, & I would go in there looking for Jag & 3DO stuff on clearance.  Years later, I got more of my games from Game Dude....besides ebay of coarse.

As for a piece of the 80's, Judge Harold T Stone died yesterday at 65.  That makes me sad.
IMG

seieienbu

I think the best thing I ever purchased at Toys R Us would be from a clearance table they had in what was probably 2001.  I got 4 copies of Castlevania Bloodlines (the Majesco reprint cardboard not the original in the plastic case) for less than $3 each.  I gave away 3 of them over the years and opened up the last one with  my girlfriend right when I started dating as she was a Sega kid but hadn't ever played any Castlevania games before.

SuperGrafx

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/18/2018, 02:19 PMI think the best thing I ever purchased at Toys R Us would be from a clearance table they had in what was probably 2001.  I got 4 copies of Castlevania Bloodlines (the Majesco reprint cardboard not the original in the plastic case) for less than $3 each.  I gave away 3 of them over the years and opened up the last one with  my girlfriend right when I started dating as she was a Sega kid but hadn't ever played any Castlevania games before.
I remember that point in time (as well as 2002 / 2003 when the Dreamcast was killed off).  I picked up several copies of Shenmue, Seaman, VMU's and a few other titles for literally $2.97 each.