10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Duo R Component Video in Black & White

Started by TDIRunner, 04/06/2018, 09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDIRunner

A few years ago I bought a PC Engine Duo R.  I got a pretty good deal on it since it included an Arcade Card along with a six button pad.  It also included a component out mod.  I didn't care that much about the mod at the time.  In fact, I would have preferred that it didn't have the mod.  But for the price, I didn't care that much as long as the system worked with the original outputs.  For the past few years, I've been using it through composite video with no issues.  Recently, after getting my new switch box with extra component inputs, I've been working on getting as many of my systems running through component as possible.  I tried hooking up the Duo with component and I got a very green screen.  After reading about the pot adjustments on the component board, I adjusted everything until I had a proper color on my TV.  At that time, for testing purposes, I was running component from my Duo directly to the TV.

This is where my issues start.  Last night I tried to run the component through my Extron Matrix switcher.  When doing this, I'm getting a black and white image on my TV.  Everything else works fine.  All of my other component systems looked correct.  I also tried to change out different component cables including ones that I've confirmed work properly with other systems.  I also tried to run the Duo's component cables through different inputs on the switcher including the same inputs that I confirmed worked with my other systems.  I cannot understand why I'm getting a black and white image through my switch box when it works perfectly when plugged directly into the TV. 

For the record, the following systems are running component through my switch box with no issues:
SNES
Wii
Master System
Genesis/CD/32x
Saturn
PS1
PS2
Xbox
Jaguar

My TV is a 32" Sony Trinitron
My switch box is an Extron CrossPoint Matrix Switcher 16x8

The PC Engine Duo R is the only system giving me this issue, and only when running through the switch box. Any ideas?  Anything would be helpful.  I wish I had taken a picture of the component board when I was adjusting it, but I can take it apart again and take pictures if that helps. 

Thanks for your help.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Keith Courage

The sync signal from a pc engine sometimes has issues with switch boxes. No one knows why or how to fix it other than getting a different switch box. This is also the case with some RGB switch boxes as well.

Is your switch box digital or analog? Analog would probably be best.

TDIRunner

Quote from: Keith Courage on 04/06/2018, 03:30 PMThe sync signal from a pc engine sometimes has issues with switch boxes. No one knows why or how to fix it other than getting a different switch box. This is also the case with some RGB switch boxes as well.

Is your switch box digital or analog? Analog would probably be best.
I think it's analog, but I guess I'm not sure.  It's an Extron Crosspoint matrix switcher.  It's also a pass through switcher, in that it doesn't offer any type of upscalling or anything like that.  However, it does have the ability to send the output video and audio signal to multiple sources at the same time.  With my current setup, I actually send my video signals to two TVs at the same time.  Both TVs are giving me the black and white image, and both TVs are working correctly with the component signals from the consoles I listed above. 

I have another component switch box that I could test with to see if I could duplicate the black and white image.  But even if it works, it's still an issue because the whole reason I bought a 16 input switch box was to run everything through it and avoid multiple switch boxes.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

SignOfZeta

That switch is a massive pro grade beast. It's going to have all kinds of buffereing and circuit protection and gain control and shit. That's probably what's fucking it. A modded PCE is about three steps down the ladder of legit-ness. They weren't made for each other.

What is the exact model number of the switch? There are many Extron Crosspoint matrix switchers.

EDIT: documentation says it's unity gain. Check the PCE's output is between the specified .5 to 1.5V (peak to peak). If you have a solid mono image that's good and sync isn't an issue. Color comes from the other two signals and comparing them to the mono version.
IMG

TDIRunner

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/06/2018, 06:15 PMThat switch is a massive pro grade beast. It's going to have all kinds of buffereing and circuit protection and gain control and shit. That's probably what's fucking it. A modded PCE is about three steps down the ladder of legit-ness. They weren't made for each other.

What is the exact model number of the switch? There are many Extron Crosspoint matrix switchers.

EDIT: documentation says it's unity gain. Check the PCE's output is between the specified .5 to 1.5V (peak to peak). If you have a solid mono image that's good and sync isn't an issue. Color comes from the other two signals and comparing them to the mono version.
CrossPoint 300 168 HVA
I'm getting less than .3V on each output. 
If I plug or unplug the red and blue plugs while the system is on, I get a short flash of that color on the screen for a split second before it goes back to black and white. 

Also, I noticed that the output voltage drops even lower when the original composite video cord is plugged into the back.  However, even with it removed entirely, I still get the black and white signal while running through the switch box. 

Is there any way to boost the signal before it gets to the switch box, or am I just talking out of my ass?

Thanks for you input.

SignOfZeta

Can you do a similar measurement on another source to verify your measurement? This should be either with a DVOM in AC mode or with a scope, just to be clear.
IMG

TDIRunner

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/07/2018, 01:11 AMCan you do a similar measurement on another source to verify your measurement? This should be either with a DVOM in AC mode or with a scope, just to be clear.
I can verify that I was using my volt meter in AC mode.  Although I will admit that my knowledge on this type of stuff is pretty limited. 

I'll try to take another measurement on something else sometime this weekend.  I was about to head to bed before I heard my email notification.  Any particular source that would be best, or just anything running component?   

Thanks again.

Keith Courage

Do you know what kind of component mod you had done to the system? There is usually a brightness control which sometimes can be adjusted higher or lower to help with compatibility of some TVs. not sure if it would play a role with your switch box or not.

TDIRunner

I'm not sure off the top of my head.  As I said before, I didn't actually order the mod.  It just came with it when I bought it.  I only remember pot adjustments for R, B and sync, but maybe I missed something else.  I will take a picture of the board this weekend.  It probably won't be until Sunday because Saturday is my son's birthday.

Keith Courage

Quote from: TDIRunner on 04/07/2018, 01:50 AMI'm not sure off the top of my head.  As I said before, I didn't actually order the mod.  It just came with it when I bought it.  I only remember pot adjustments for R, B and sync, but maybe I missed something else.  I will take a picture of the board this weekend.  It probably won't be until Sunday because Saturday is my son's birthday. 
Sync will raise and lower the brightness as well. So it's the same one. Adjusting it higher or lower might make a difference.