The Problem W/people who have a problem w/Apu.

Started by Medic_wheat, 05/13/2018, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

So some how this has blown up on my YouTube feed and fuck it all if it doesn't any the hell out of me.

That and I can't get on fighting street while in mobile. Which is always lol.

Trailer of documentary (if you'd call it that)
New Rule reaction
Become the villain.
I couldn't find the full segment about Marge trying to appeas the modern sensibility of edition a children's book for Lisa.

Where in the end Lisa states "so she starts off well adjusted
And there for has no challenge to oversome to grown as a person?  Sounds kind of pointless"

Which bleeds into the Lisa monologue about Apu and what was once socially wxecrabe and what is now seems offensive.

Personally his kind of SJW stick makes my eyes spin counter clock wise in my head.

NightWolve

Annoy the hell out of you, you mean ? ;)

I have caught glimpse of the "controversy" on my social media within the last weeks. I enjoyed the Apu character when I did catch a Simpsons episode though I was by no means a frequent viewer. I lost track of the series for many years as I don't really watch much free terrestrial TV channels since early 2000...

It was surprising to hear the voice actor Hank Azaria say he's willing to boycott voicing the character going forward... I hope Apu isn't eliminated given pressure/activist bully groups but whatever... Out of my hands and I can't say I was a dedicated fan of the TV show.

I do miss Married with Children but FOX has a great history of axing things I loved before their time like Terminator:Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dark Angel with Jessica Alba, etc. I'm not a FireFly nut, I saw all the episodes on Crackle, I liked it but wasn't invested like its passionate fans who wound up getting that Serenity movie made for it.

seieienbu

The complaint that I see, from the trailer, seems to not be that Apu is bad but instead that there's not other representation of Indian persons in media (or at least there wasn't in the early 90s?).  Yeah, he probably wouldn't be made today but there are a lot of classic things that wouldn't happen today. 

I was curious enough that I checked the website where I could legally stream it.  I'd watch the whole thing if I could but it wants me to sign in through my cable provider and I'm not even remotely interested enough in what some guy has to say about a cartoon character to set that nonsense up so oh well!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Medic_wheat

Quote from: seieienbu on 05/13/2018, 08:45 PMThe complaint that I see, from the trailer, seems to not be that Apu is bad but instead that there's not other representation of Indian persons in media (or at least there wasn't in the early 90s?).  Yeah, he probably wouldn't be made today but there are a lot of classic things that wouldn't happen today. 

I was curious enough that I checked the website where I could legally stream it.  I'd watch the whole thing if I could but it wants me to sign in through my cable provider and I'm not even remotely interested enough in what some guy has to say about a cartoon character to set that nonsense up so oh well!
You tried harder then I to watch it.

Taking what I have seen out of context and based spiky off interviews of the comedian.

His stand up stick is basically Apu.

He frequently mocks and stereotypes of cutlers/people/ethnicities. But you satire his cultural identity and on no white prowl gone to far.

Granted that's about the gist of every person who do not identify as white. We can bash in white people as the United whipping boy. White men most of all. But doing the same to other races is going to far. Lol. I have always found the hypocrisy of SJWs and their like to be most humors that they are blind to their own biases

And that's coming from a guy who is mixed race. But because my last name is English (white) I am culturally dimensioned as being only white and male. Not a personal with Mexican heritage and grew up among Hispanic people more so then white people.

bob

Hank Azaria was in Hermans Head.  Another FOX casualty in the 90's.  Ran along side Shakey Ground which was the screen debut of Jennifer Love Hewitt (credited back then as just "Love Hewitt").  Yet another early release from FOX.  They got it right when they cancelled Top of the Heap.  That was a MWC spinoff with one of the Friends actors.  I think it was LeBlanc.  He was basically a male version of Kelly and his dad was a con artist.  It was terrible.

NightWolve

Quote from: bob on 05/14/2018, 06:47 AMHank Azaria was in Herman's Head.  Another FOX casualty in the 90's.
Oh yeah, I remember that... Only lasted 3 seasons, saw 'em all. I loved that Ken Campbell guy, the devious/masculine representation in his head. But man, that was so long ago, from a different time - it's a vague memory now. It was decent, could've got 2 more seasons, I know I was sad it was gone. Invisible Man on SciFi only got 2 seasons and that was an excellent show I cared about.