10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE duo blank screen only on cd system 3

Started by KoSLoW, 07/19/2018, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoSLoW

Hello i'm new on this site thanks admin for accept me. I'm also new on pc engine world.

I bought a duo (as is) in japan and trying to repair.

First i recaped all with console5 smd kit. I cleaned all with isopropyl before recap.

The hu card run well but when i power on the unit without hu card i got a white screen.

Normally i must see system 3 ststem waiting cd and i noticed no life in cd tray no moving lens or motor.

I check the forum and i read via chip can be the fault ? I don't know any help are welcome !  :D

Keith Courage

1st thing to check is if both 7805 voltage regulators work. Check with a multi-meter to see if both put out 5V

Hopefully a bad voltage regulator is the problem. If it is not then you either have a bad via hole connection/trace on the board or worst case scenario a bad chip on the board.

KoSLoW

ok first i notice changement. I let demo mode hu card run about 5 minute and after power on without hu card menu system CD finally work !

Good but when i let this menu alone it turn back to white some minutes after... and i can notice some glitch artifact sometimes.

here is my results :

IMG

IMG

i take mesure in IN voltage and OUT voltage. Am i good ? as you can see i didn't get 5V at all on both

Keith Courage

Well, if it works sometimes then there has to be a bad trace or connection somewhere. Turn on the board and start pushing on the various chips on the board to see if it makes a difference. Could be a cracked solder joint on one of the chips legs.

If that doesn't do anything then I'd check the traces on the bottom of the board for the Hu card slot pins.

KoSLoW

Ok thanks keith i will more investigate  :o

thesteve

the quickest way to find this (for me) is to probe the data pins at the slot and the address pins at IC501
with cart out
the IC501 pinout is posted D91317GD