OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Good shooters

Started by Skrat, 08/26/2018, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skrat

Fairly new to the TG16/PCE and I'm looking for recommendations for good shooters on TG16/PCE that have some more complex scoring mechanics.  I don't have the CD add on but I do have a region modded TG so I am open to imports.  I enjoy shooters that I can go back and try and grind for a higher score even after I 1cc them.  I am sure similar questions have been asked before so I apologize if this is redundent.

thesteve

most shooters on the system are actually good, but not many have complex scoring or a way to grind

Medic_wheat

I don't know what you mean. The system has no Shooters.

It's primarly a pong clone.

NightWolve

Super Star Soldier is one of my beloved favorites of the system and it's all I can think of that has what you seem to be asking about. The 2 and 5 minute game modes are all about high score tests and add additional massive replay value to a great game that already has lots of it for the normal mode.

JoeQuaker

Salamander is so hard that you are lucky to stay alive 5 minutes lol. It's one of my favorite shooters.
Mir ist kalt, so kalt...

exodus

Skrat if you like to grind for score, you probably want to go for the shooters with caravan modes. Here's a handy list of those: http://www.pc-engine.co.uk/?section=caravan

Unfortunately they're all expensive :P

As others have noted, most of the shooters on the PCE are good... I'm more into the ones on the CD, but you can't go wrong with the Soldier series, I also quite like aero fighters though it's rarely topping anyone's list, override, armed F, all quite good. I think the real issue everyone's having here is that this is a system known for its shooters, and because of that competition was quite fierce among developers to try to outdo each other. The dev environment also lent itself to shooters quite well. So it'd actually be easier to make a list of the shooters that aren't that good, versus a list of the best of them, because the "best" list is just all the ones that aren't the worst!

nopepper

I might be wrong, but the PCE doesn't seem like the right system if that is a priority in your shooters (or 16 bit shooters in general), as they generally have simple scoring mechanics and AFAIK, nothing akin to Cave, Raizing or the like (besides some having rank).

With that said, and sorry if this is old news to you, but this guy's blog goes over scoring mechanics of pretty much every shooter he reviews:

http://1cclog.blogspot.com/p/list-of-1cced-shmups.html?m=1

I would just do a search for PCE games there and see if anything piques your interest based on his descriptions.

Skrat

Thanks guys.  Just ordered the Japanese super star soldier.  The us version is a little pricey.

Skrat

Quote from: nopepper on 08/30/2018, 11:24 PMI might be wrong, but the PCE doesn't seem like the right system if that is a priority in your shooters (or 16 bit shooters in general), as they generally have simple scoring mechanics and AFAIK, nothing akin to Cave, Raizing or the like (besides some having rank).

With that said, and sorry if this is old news to you, but this guy's blog goes over scoring mechanics of pretty much every shooter he reviews:

http://1cclog.blogspot.com/p/list-of-1cced-shmups.html?m=1

I would just do a search for PCE games there and see if anything piques your interest based on his descriptions.
Love those guys.  Still play bat rider and futari all the time

Love those guys.

majors

Parodius on PCE is good, it has a special mode that is a score attack. Definitely a must-have if you can deal with cute'm up's. If you play Caves' Pork and Death Smiles, then you should be okay with that.

I have some love for Dragon Saber, you should try it but it's not going for scores, just a good challenge.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

nopepper

I still can't think of any shooters that have elaborate scoring schemes besides the shoot everything, collect everything, don't die and perhaps milk some bosses (and be bored to death) "mechanics". The only games in the PCE library that I play for scores are Alien Crush and Devil Crash, which of course are pinball games, but they are twitchy enough to appease shooter sensibilities. So those are what I would recommend.

Flare65

Bithead1000 just putout a video on youtube about his top 10 shooters for the system.  Might want to check it out.

NightWolve

Quote from: Flare65 on 09/12/2018, 08:28 AMBithead1000 just putout a video on youtube about his top 10 shooters for the system.  Might want to check it out.
That Bithead1000 episode came up in my feed as well, he really captured A LOT of my experiences growing up encountering Lifeforce/Salamander (NES in my case), Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Sapphire, etc...

I'm glad it's now permanently captured in a YouTube video! Wish we had cool members like that here, really also respect when he gets his Bob Villa skills on in other episodes (e.g. the cabinet-building, painting the Ys Goddess Lair/Leah)!

I was kinda debating if I really felt like watching the whole thing since it's an hour long, but I split my time to do so and it was in fact worth it:

pixeljunkie

I did the same and was shocked I watched a full hour, but it was great. I remember preordering Lords of Thunder from Die Hard Gamefan - I was calling my house from a payphone a couple times while out asking if it had arrived yet. I couldn't get home fast enough to throw that thing into my Turbo CD.

Gentlegamer

Start with Blazing Lazers / Gunhed
IMG