Broken TG-CD need repair

Started by Official Ninja, 01/03/2019, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Official Ninja

Hello.

My drive for the TurboGrafx CD isn't working properly. When it has been stored away for a while and I first attempt to use it, the disc will not spin. The drive displays PC but there is no "click" and the disk doesn't spin or move at all. After some time, say 1/2 hour or so, it will start to work fine. Once it starts working it seems to work just fine.

It also does not work on it's own as a CD player although just like when in the system, once it works it works.

I had replaced the whole laser assembly from the computer version of this drive years ago. However this seems to be another issue altogether. Also I can smell some "burnt" electronics from the back of the drive where it plugs into the CD unit.

Is there anyone offering repair for the CD drive? I am hoping it is just caps...

I do have another functioning version of this drive that was used with computers.
I sometimes listen to music on it. Not sure if that unit can help in the repair of the TG-CD unit.
It doesn't work for games when connected to the TG-CD base.

Thanks!

Official Ninja

NightWolve

Yeah, both Keith Courage and thesteve are active and taking repair orders. You can PM them for rates.

Given the burnt electronics smell, I'd recommend Steve more for serious damage like that as he's a fully trained electrical engineer.

Official Ninja

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/03/2019, 11:07 PMYeah, both Keith Courage and thesteve are active and taking repair orders. You can PM them for rates.

Given the burnt electronics smell, I'd recommend Steve more for serious damage like that as he's a fully trained electrical engineer.
Thank you, I will contact one of them.

Looking back now, it seems the replaced laser assembly is simply having the same trouble as the original.
Probably the gear, the smell may be the motor trying to turn but it can't

Keith Courage

I'd be happy to work on your CD drive for you if you haven't found someone already. Just send me a PM