The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
IMG
Main Menu

Starcade

Started by TR0N, 01/19/2007, 02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

I use to watch this during the 80's.

Pretty much it was a game show where people to compete to, get the highest score for a prize.

To me this is the only video game related show i'd ever like.

I was suripse to find out... there is a site with the episodes of it.

http://www.starcade.tv/starcade/episodes.asp

Yeah i've herd (G4) use to rerun it... but since i don't have that "channel they can go screw themself's  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Oh sweet this is awesome! Thanks a lot!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Whoa, I remember that show. I also remember Nickelodeon having a similar show about 10 years later, but their show sucked monkey nuggets through a straw. Good find.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

awesome as dirk the daring is!! :shock:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PCEngineHell

I hated this show,and still do.

Fuckin gramps Geoff Edwards on there given useless advice,like he thinks hes master of the obvious. "Some of the staff stay at the Hotel Suck" and "some of the contestants ride in a sucky ugly bus". Yep. The prizes,chocolates and a shitty robot,and chess alot of the time,and if your "awesome" enough,Bump n Jump or a laser disc game of some sort. They heavy pumped the LD games in that time period on that show. All this show was was a giant commercial for these games.

esteban

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/19/2007, 03:24 PMI hated this show,and still do.

Fuckin gramps Geoff Edwards on there given useless advice,like he thinks hes master of the obvious. "Some of the staff stay at the Hotel Suck" and "some of the contestants ride in a sucky ugly bus". Yep. The prizes,chocolates and a shitty robot,and chess alot of the time,and if your "awesome" enough,Bump n Jump or a laser disc game of some sort. They heavy pumped the LD games in that time period on that show. All this show was was a giant commercial for these games.
Well, I found the show a blast to watch, for some of the reasons you stated (the host provided much entertainment).

Plus, I love seeing the prizes. Lots of goofy electronics that I had forgotten about (and lots of stuff I had never heard of before... like the personal robot servants!).

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TR0N

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/19/2007, 03:24 PMI hated this show,and still do.

I just ingore the host when... i watch it as a kid all i care about were the games.

Sure the people who played them "sucked but, back then it was better then nothing.

Still i've notice that's one thing that will never change in related shows 'on video games the host trys to hard to act cool.

Just look at Gamepro TV when it aired  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

sorry guys, you can say what you want, but this show r0x to no end!! i even didn't know about the existence of that show until i discovered this thread. so i watched throug the whole episodes on the page and it was the pure fun in any points of view!! :lol:

beside of interessting vintage arcade games there was also..

- a faggot mic
- unbelievable hilarious hair-dos
- a portable turntable named mister disc (probably without anti-shock, so don't use it for jogging etc.)
- US made high quality joysticks with 5 years of warranty (even may the manufacturer didn't exist anymore after just one year later)
- silly talks'n'walks

hope to see more of it soon! :mrgreen:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/23/2007, 10:59 PMsorry guys, you can say what you want, but this show r0x to no end!! i even didn't know about the existence of that show until i discovered this thread. so i watched throug the whole episodes on the page and it was the pure fun in any points of view!! :lol:

beside of interessting vintage arcade games there was also..

- a faggot mic
- unbelievable hilarious hair-dos
- a portable turntable named mister disc (probably without anti-shock, so don't use it for jogging etc.)
- US made high quality joysticks with 5 years of warranty (even may the manufacturer didn't exist anymore after just one year later)
- silly talks'n'walks

hope to see more of it soon! :mrgreen:
Precisely. It's totally fun to watch.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ninja Spirit

For me it's all about Video Power, filmed straight out of a room in Madison Square Garden. Ah man, weekday mornings in the summer of 1992. I wish I could go back.... :(
IMG

IMG
Can't go wrong with a superhyperactive respawn of Vanilla Ice for a TV show host and his mullet sporting co-host Terry. Also add some cheesy organ music playing in the back and you're all set to go. I haven't watched the show for all these years, but I still remember the sequence:

> Theme song and then Terry's loud and echoey introduction of Johnny Arcade
> Video Power Edge #1 (random tips)
> Commercial
> Video Power Edge #2
> "It's time to put the spot on Johnny by putting Johnny on the spot!" : Four random people from the crowd ask Johnny a Nintendo related question. The goal is to stump him with something he doesn't already know. If successful, they get a prize.
> Commercial
> The four contestants (garbed in a velcro vest, helmet and gloves for the rest of the show) engage in a 4 minute playoff. Based on score (or distance) Two contestants are eliminated with a consolation prize.
IMG
> Video Power Quiz. One of them being a guess the Nintendo tune question.
Mushroom: 5 points
Pizza - 10 points
Star - 20
> Commercial
> 2nd power play. Runner-up gets the boot with a prize.

IMG
Now the epic climax of every episode... THE POWER MALL!!!
The winner gets to pick up as many games as he wants. Very quickly, he'll look so damn silly like walking around with giant refrigerator magnets all over him. However, he has to pick up a certain prize to get the mother of prizes for the day. I remember one episode, he found the secret prize, and guess what he got? A NEO GEO AES!

EDIT:
http://www.nesplayer.com/television/vidpower_files/JDinterview.htm
A interview with a VP contestant

GUTS

What's a faggot mic?  Is the mic all gay looking or something?

Tatsujin

a mic which let the operator appear like a faggot.

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"