@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

KO Seiki: Beast Sanjuushi

Started by termis, 03/07/2007, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

Just finished it.  I don't think this is a well-known RPG, but I kinda liked the sci-fi theme it sported, so I gave it go.

Not a spectacular or ground-breaking RPG.  It's basically the same-old command-driven, turn-based RPG.  It took me about 17 indicated hours of playing time to beat it, so not a long RPG.  About the only thing that was different than your average DQ-clone was that you could attack by transforming into a beast, which gives you a slightly more powerful attack in exchange for some of your hp. 

I did like that you actually had use magic effectively in this game.  I really didn't even have bother using much magic for my past couple RPGs, and it makes me wonder why developers even bother putting magic in the game if it isn't going to be a key strategy element in battles.

The game also has some nice, albeit not mind-blowing, cut scenes.

I'd say it's one of the easier Japanese RPGs to pick up and play even if you don't know any Japanese, but obviously, any little bit will help.  Just knowing hiragana and katakana can help you which characters can equip what weapons and so forth.  Most of the game is pretty linear, and what you need to do next isn't too difficult to figure out most of the times (and downright obvious if you can read Japanese).

The one thing that non-Japanese readers will really miss out on is the humor in the game.  Since my Japanese is so-so, I didn't get 100% of it, but I understood enough of it to give me a good laugh here and there.  A few of the characters in this game are down right hilarious.  It would take quite a bit of the charm off the game if you didn't get these small jokes here and there - it'd be like playing a Working Designs game with all the jokes taken out.  But oh well...

In all, I had a good time and I'm glad I played it, but I doubt I'd pick it up again years down the line.

Think I'll try out an English-text RPG next to give my brain a bit of a rest...

IMG
[Japanese walk-through for the game here.]

esteban

Sounds interesting. I didn't know anything about this title prior to reading your post. I don't even recognize the cover art.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Thanks for the information, I've heard/seen very little of this game.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ParanoiaDragon

I have the anime series.  I actually bought the series, because of this game!
IMG

SignOfZeta

I've been on the fence about this game since it was released. I think you talked me into it just by saying it's short. I really like short RPGs, especially now that they are getting over 60 hours on average nowadays.

IMO Panzer Dragoon Saga is infinitely better at 16 hours than Tales of Symphonia is at....actually I don't know how long ToS is since I lost interest at over 40 hours and still being on the first disc....
IMG

Ninja Spirit

I have a CD-R of this, but I'm too scared to play it in my DuoR.

NecroPhile

Thanks for the mini-review.  I haven't seen any info about this game before, but it looks like a good rpg to add to the ever growing list of games that I'd like to try my hand at.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

termis

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2007, 12:10 PM...ever growing list of games that I'd like to try my hand at.
Sheesh, I know what you mean.  As you can tell, I'm trying to catch up from games that were released 10-15 years ago.  It won't be another 20-30 years till I get to the current generation consoles  :|

Tatsujin

liked to watch the anime 15 years ago, or so. anyway, for the game i watched the WHOLE introscene :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Seldane

I wonder - why would anyone play a game like this without understanding it? I want a reason. A sane one, at that.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Seldane on 03/15/2007, 10:31 AMI wonder - why would anyone play a game like this without understanding it? I want a reason. A sane one, at that.
that's my general question concerning any JPN only RPG, which a lot of people playing day after day without getting anything from the storyline. walkthroug ok, but is that really funny?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

runinruder

You've asked this before, Tatsujin, and you were provided with plenty of answers.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2379.15
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

termis

At least for me, it's an excuse to continually study Japanese (and I mean that literally - I keep a notepad next to me while playing so I can write down new vocab/phrases/kanji, etc).  I understand enough of it to not be completely lost, so it's not that bad for me, per se.

And I also agree with some of the things that folks have said in the other thread.  I just like the play of classic J-RPGs, not to mention something unique about playing obscure never-released in NA market games.