Reputable places/people installing S-Video,etc on Duo's?

Started by MrFulci, 05/07/2007, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/24/2007, 09:57 AMThis is a very interesting topic, however I have to ask the obvious question; can you do a component mod?

S-Video was great 15 years ago, but since it doesn't look that much better than the PCE's already above-average composite (when compared with RGB) , I would think that in this day in age component would be a vastly superior route, and possibly a more practical one as well. A TV I bought recently actually had no s-video in on it, just composite and component.
The S-Video mod outputted through composite may be similar to the S-Video image, but its a huge improvement over the standard Duo composite-

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/video666.html

Its of course most noticible in motion in person. But it produces a vibrant image that looks like emulation.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

My Turbo is hooked up via component, but I do that outside the system, I don't have component jacks on the unit itself.  The result is absolutely awesome.  But s-video is also a large improvement.  I think CrackTiger and I discussed this before and I wasn't listening very well since I don't remember all of the details, but I think s-video gets rid of the shimmering that you see in composite (like Feena's hair in the Ys title screen) and the such.  If that's the case, then s-video would be a HUGE jump over the TG-16's already above-average composite.

Ys.gif

This is a slowed down version of the Ys title screen in composite.
No shimmering at all in RGB/component and I assume s-video as well.

Soviet Conscript

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 06:03 PMMy Turbo is hooked up via component, but I do that outside the system, I don't have component jacks on the unit itself.  The result is absolutely awesome.  But s-video is also a large improvement.  I think CrackTiger and I discussed this before and I wasn't listening very well since I don't remember all of the details, but I think s-video gets rid of the shimmering that you see in composite (like Feena's hair in the Ys title screen) and the such.  If that's the case, then s-video would be a HUGE jump over the TG-16's already above-average composite.
Ys.gif
are you useing a RGB to componant transcoder? and if so which one since i hear most are crap.
Oh my god! They're not even human!

Joe Redifer

Yes I am.  It's the box found on this page:

wayback.howtoconvert.co.uk/howrgb2component.htm

Works with all 480i and under resolutions unlike the Jrock.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 06:03 PMMy Turbo is hooked up via component, but I do that outside the system, I don't have component jacks on the unit itself.  The result is absolutely awesome.  But s-video is also a large improvement.  I think Black Tiger and I discussed this before and I wasn't listening very well since I don't remember all of the details, but I think s-video gets rid of the shimmering that you see in composite (like Feena's hair in the Ys title screen) and the such.  If that's the case, then s-video would be a HUGE jump over the TG-16's already above-average composite.
Ys.gif
Yeah, it gets rid of all shimmering and you can make out every pixel of dithering on an average TV.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 08:19 PMYes I am.  It's the box found on this page:

What do you mean by that? You can use a component Jrok on any old game system pretty much that outputs RGB or can be hacked for it,some things may need some extra work,but otherwise no issues...the res has nothing to do with it as long as the hardware isn't outputting vga signals. Do you even own a Jrok ver4 component encoder?

Joe Redifer

I've read that the Jrok won't work with the Turbo, and nobody is quite sure why.  I've also read that it was design for "arcade resolutions", whatever that is supposed to mean (arcades can have many different resolutions).  I have no reason to own a Jrok or a Neobitz since I already have what I need and it works phuggin' great on ALL systems that I need it to!

PCEngineHell

Your thinking of the standard Jrok ver3 s-video one maybe. It has been confirmed the component one,Ver4, works fine I was thinking,by Gutts. I was thinking Gutts was using one in his system. I could be wrong on that then. Either way it has nothing to do with res. if it doesn't work its because of  a sync issue more likely then not.

Joe Redifer

You're right, I mistyped based on what I heard.  I may also be remembering incorrectly, since now that you mention it I do believe it was the board that combined composite, s-video and component that didn't work, and that the component-only one was fine.  Also I think maybe the component on the other board may have worked, but not the s-video.  Hazy memory.

PCEngineHell

Ver 3 is just composite and s-video. Ver 4 has those plus component out.

He does offer a stripped down Ver 4 with nothing but component,or at least he used to. I don't know if he still offers it now.

Joe Redifer

MrFulci

grahf,

Today I'm discarding the squished box, the Duo-R returned to me in.

The Duo-R has not presented me with any problems. I finished Fray on Thursday or Friday. There wasn't too much left to the game. The ending was interesting, in that it was partially interactive (town party).

I figure, if it can deal with 2-3 hours of continuous play after a week of no play, the system is alright.

I have a spare laser sitting around, I purchased that about 2 weeks ago. Just in case the HOP-M3 laser supply dries up, and the one in my Duo-R fails, I'll have a spare.

grahf, you metnioned you sometimes visit folks near this area. Let me know if you have free time when you do so, maybe I'll also have some free time and I can meet you at someplace. There is always Crab Towne in Glen Burnie, 70+ cabs in one place... if they still have the arcade, I need to visit sometime in the next week or so to confirm. It would be interesting to meet the person who modded my system, haha. I'll buy you a beer!

Once again, grahf's modification services are top knotch. I've had no issues with my Duo-R system, all works well!   Reccomended!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

SNKNostalgia

I received my US Duo back from Grahf yesterday. I got the S-video using the CXA 2075 and region mod done to it. Great craftsmanship on the internal and external work. I just have the S-video jack (I use my Duo cable for Stereo sound) and switch for the region mod on it. I did have the S-video cut out on me after playing some last night. It was an easy fix, just soldered the Y/C wires to the S-video jack for better connection. This must have been due to the shipping even though it was really snugly packed in the box with no damage. The bubble wrap we both did in the disc drive seems to be a good idea.

After playing many games with S-video last night and today... I have came to a conclusion that this system is really meant to be played at least in this video format. It makes a huge difference that the washed out colors, dot-crawl and shimmering are non existent. Games that it makes a really nice improvement on are Blood Gear, Final Lap Twin (overhead map), Dracula X, Exile 2, Cosmic Fantasy 2 (seriously) and of course Ys 1+2. I can't imagine how nobody would want this done to their Duo. RGB or Component would be nice to get rid of some of the pixely effect you get with scrolling graphics in S-video. Really, for a system like this, it is good enough for me. Still, it has a full RGB signal coming out from the CXA2075 that I could tap into easily.

Joe Redifer

Pixely effect when scrolling?  What are you referring to?

SNKNostalgia

It is really hard to explain this completely. Here it goes.... when the graphics are still, say there is a solid color Blue for example. When the screen scrolls, you will see that it doesn't have a complete solid look like it would in Component or RGB. It almost looks as if each little pixel in the TV itself is moving instead of the solid color remaining exactly the same. It isn't anything major really, but noticeable if you have a newer TV that has very sharp S-video quality. Older TVs you don't notice it with the S-video because they usually aren't as sharp. One trick is to turn down the sharpness a bout half but you loose some crispness. I guess you could call it minor dot-crawling that isn't too noticeable. It does this on my newer Sony Wega Trinitron 27" and my parents new Toshiba 27". It isn't noticeable with my RCA Colortrack Plus 21" or our Panisonic 27". Of course the screen on the later 2 older sets isn't as sharp as the other two new TVs listed earlier. This goes for all systems I have S-video on. Eagle eyes is a blessing and a curse I guess. One thing to add to the list I guess for S-video and Component/RGB comparison.

TR0N

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 07/08/2007, 10:29 PMI received my US Duo back from Grahf yesterday. I got the S-video using the CXA 2075 and region mod done to it. Great craftsmanship on the internal and external work. I just have the S-video jack (I use my Duo cable for Stereo sound) and switch for the region mod on it. I did have the S-video cut out on me after playing some last night. It was an easy fix, just soldered the Y/C wires to the S-video jack for better connection. This must have been due to the shipping even though it was really snugly packed in the box with no damage. The bubble wrap we both did in the disc drive seems to be a good idea.

After playing many games with S-video last night and today... I have came to a conclusion that this system is really meant to be played at least in this video format. It makes a huge difference that the washed out colors, dot-crawl and shimmering are non existent. Games that it makes a really nice improvement on are Blood Gear, Final Lap Twin (overhead map), Dracula X, Exile 2, Cosmic Fantasy 2 (seriously) and of course Ys 1+2. I can't imagine how nobody would want this done to their Duo. RGB or Component would be nice to get rid of some of the pixely effect you get with scrolling graphics in S-video. Really, for a system like this, it is good enough for me. Still, it has a full RGB signal coming out from the CXA2075 that I could tap into easily.
Congrats man hmm looks like i will have to ask grahf about modding my, Duo-R some time.

I know i like to have s-video added to it.. composite just doesn't do it for me these days.

Given how washout it is all far as picture qaulity go's.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Duo_R

Question for everyone - does the component video in the Jrok Svideo + Component video work differently than Jrok component only board? So S-video does not work on the 4.0+ versions, but component no problems when using with a duo (besides the reds being strong)?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Duo_R

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 08:19 PMYes I am.  It's the box found on this page:

Joe,

I got the same box as you. Are you using a Scart cable to hookup to your Duo? Some details on your setup please. Also, does this box take composite vid as the sync line, or did u pull sync from the Hu6260?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq