RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Highest on-screen colors screenshot

Started by CrackTiger, 05/21/2007, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

What are some of the highest number-of-colors-on-screen-at-once screenshots that you can find?

Anyone know of any PC Engine games that display 100+ colors at a time?

From memory, I believe that Xanadu II's boss fights are 90'ish and thats around as high as I've counted for any PCE game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

awack

Some of the highest color counts i know of are for beyond shadowgate, you can get 100+ colors.
Fatal fury 2/special..mai's stage is also very high,i cant remember the count tho.
There are many other duo games with 80+ on screen colors like rondo of blood, lords of thunder, ai cho aniki, ect.

Keranu

The highest I've found in any official game is for Tokimeki Memorial, in which I found a screenshot that displays 124 colors on screen! I want to see someone else beat my find of that many colors in an official released game 8) . A couple other screenshots from the game that I counted ranged from 70 - 122. Another high colored screenshot I found was a map in Bomberman Panic Bomber, which displayed 101.

As far as nonofficial games go, Chris Covell's new puzzle game displays a crap load of colors, like over 200 I believe, not to mention his demos which displayed the entire 512 palette. Mindrec's new PC Gunjing and Xymati games will also be displaying a lot of colors, some of which in the 90's I think, as well as some of our Frozen Utopia games ;) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: awack on 05/21/2007, 10:04 PMSome of the highest color counts i know of are for beyond shadowgate, you can get 100+ colors.
Fatal fury 2/special..mai's stage is also very high,i cant remember the count tho.
There are many other duo games with 80+ on screen colors like rondo of blood, lords of thunder, ai cho aniki, ect.
Beyond Shadowgate is the least colorful PCE/Turbo game I've ever checked screenshots of. I remember that the bg's are 16 colors of less. What part of the game gets super colorful?

Quote from: Keranu on 05/21/2007, 10:13 PMThe highest I've found in any official game is for Tokimeki Memorial, in which I found a screenshot that displays 124 colors on screen! I want to see someone else beat my find of that many colors in an official released game 8) . A couple other screenshots from the game that I counted ranged from 70 - 122. Another high colored screenshot I found was a map in Bomberman Panic Bomber, which displayed 101.

As far as nonofficial games go, Chris Covell's new puzzle game displays a crap load of colors, like over 200 I believe, not to mention his demos which displayed the entire 512 palette. Mindrec's new PC Gunjing and Xymati games will also be displaying a lot of colors, some of which in the 90's I think, as well as some of our Frozen Utopia games ;) .
Do you have any uber colorful screenshots from Tokimeki Memorial that you can post Keranu? I won't try beating something until I see proof.  :wink:

Tongue Man's Logic's new menu screens get up over 100 colors, but I'm pretty sure the rest are under 100.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Don't post JPEGs, they totally mess up the color count (a screen with 12 colors will end up having 7,000 colors when converted to JPG).  Once you have them in that format, there's no going back EVAR!  So start out with the uncompressed stuff.

Use PNG or BMP.

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2007, 10:33 PMTongue Man's Logic's new menu screens get up over 100 colors, but I'm pretty sure the rest are under 100.
That's not quite true...

TMLogic6.gif

There are 126 colours in this shot.

OldRover

There are some cutscenes in Mysterious Song that are over 50 uniques.

As for "official" games, I took a screenie at one point during Ys 4 that was over 70 uniques.

More colors != better graphics. Food for thought. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2007, 10:33 PMDo you have any uber colorful screenshots from Tokimeki Memorial that you can post Keranu? I won't try beating something until I see proof.  :wink:
Of course ;)

I got these screenshots from NEC-Ro-Pole, if you guys remember that site. They're from the program the author made which catalogued all of those screenshots.

70 colors
/tokimeki1jy9.png

122 colors
/tokimeki2ni5.png

And the grand finale, a whopping 124 colors on screen!
/tokimeki3xi2.png

Here is the Panic Bomberman screenshot with 100 colors.
/panicbombertp1.png

QuoteBeyond Shadowgate is the least colorful PCE/Turbo game I've ever checked screenshots of. I remember that the bg's are 16 colors of less. What part of the game gets super colorful?
The screenshots I've checked have over 60 colors on screen and they're not even in the more colorful spots of the game.

This one has 64
/bs1bi9.png
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ccovellThere are 126 colours in this shot.
I count 123.
Quote from: Keranu70 colors
Quote from: Keranu122 colors
Quote from: KeranuAnd the grand finale, a whopping 124 colors on screen!
Quote from: KeranuHere is the Panic Bomberman screenshot with 100 colors.
99.  Methinks you are counting the alpha channel in the PNG file as a color.
Quote from: KeranuThis one has 64

Anyway I know this thread is about the PC Engine, but I just want to agree with the person who said that more colors doesn't necessarily mean better graphics.  Take a look at Toy Story for the Sega Genesis:

IMG
86 colors

IMG
105 colors

IMG
163 colors

IMG
101 colors

ccovell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/22/2007, 04:12 AM
Quote from: ccovellThere are 126 colours in this shot.
I count 123. 
Okay, 123 it is then.  I'm still happy with it.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/22/2007, 04:12 AM...Take a look at Toy Story for the Sega Genesis:
That's pretty impressive - technically.  How do they manage that?  Shadow/Highlight mode?

Seldane

That is an awesome picture, ccovell. Did you draw it?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

termis

123 color count for the Tokimeki Memorial screenshot is letdown  The street scene looks good, but most of the screen is the not-so-exciting mix of green checkerboard and status screens.  Higher color count definitely doesn't necessarily look better.  (Though I still say it's nice to have the option to go higher colors without resorting to all the software tricks!)

Keranu

It's not exactly displaying all of the PCE's 512 colors on screen at once that makes it such a great feature, but the fact that games practically won't suffer any background or sprite layer color limitation.
IMG

Seldane

In my opinion, less colors are almost always better. Many colors usually mean that there's a lot of shading used, and I hate shading! :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Joe Redifer

Original GameBoy RULES!  It makes the PC Engine sad.

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 05/22/2007, 05:07 PMIn my opinion, less colors are almost always better. Many colors usually mean that there's a lot of shading used, and I hate shading! :P
So does that mean Adventure for Atari 2600 with its three colors on screen looks better than Final Fantasy III for SNES with its 100+ colors ?  :mrgreen:

IMG

IMG
IMG

nat

Quote from: Seldane on 05/22/2007, 05:07 PMIn my opinion, less colors are almost always better. Many colors usually mean that there's a lot of shading used, and I hate shading! :P
Is there anything about video games you do like?  :lol:
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

awack

Here are some of the counts i got for pc engine games

magical chase us version: 1 st level 110 (alot of the colors come from the ton of sprites in screenshot)
Fatal fury 2 mai stage: 114
beyond shadowgate: 125 (from one of the shops with item menu in view)

These are all in game color counts.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 05/22/2007, 01:14 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/21/2007, 10:33 PMDo you have any uber colorful screenshots from Tokimeki Memorial that you can post Keranu? I won't try beating something until I see proof.  :wink:
Of course ;)

I got these screenshots from NEC-Ro-Pole, if you guys remember that site. They're from the program the author made which catalogued all of those screenshots.
Keranu, these screenshots won't load for me. Can you please e-mail them to me or something?

Quote from: awack on 05/22/2007, 09:48 PMHere are some of the counts i got for pc engine games

magical chase us version: 1 st level 110 (alot of the colors come from the ton of sprites in screenshot)
Fatal fury 2 mai stage: 114
beyond shadowgate: 125 (from one of the shops with item menu in view)

These are all in game color counts.
Can you post the screenshots?

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/23/2007, 07:04 PMKeranu, these screenshots won't load for me. Can you please e-mail them to me or something?
I emailed the screenshots to the email in your profile.  8)
IMG

ccovell

Quote from: Seldane on 05/22/2007, 09:54 AMThat is an awesome picture, ccovell. Did you draw it?
Thanks for the compliment!  Yes, I drew all the art in the pic (minus the sake puzzle graphic...)

awack

Shadowgate 125 with menu 115 without.

IMG

Keranu

Welp, I guess awack beat my find. 125 is the new record.
IMG

Tatsujin

can someone check some rayxanber III screenshots? i believe there have to be used a lot of colors in some stages, altough the palette is kept in narrow variations.

how about sapphire?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

There's got to be an official Turbo or PCE game that beats the Genesis' 160+ colors onscreen for Toy Story.  I don't care if it is "in-game" or a static shot.  We must find it!  Didn't Ys 3 have some high-color screens during the intro?

termis

Anyone know how the genesis actually got around the color limitation?  (software tricks, but how does it fool the hardware?)

Tatsujin

static pictures (titlescreen etc) are much easier to trick than ingame backgrounds/sprites.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Keranu

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/24/2007, 12:34 AMcan someone check some rayxanber III screenshots? i believe there have to be used a lot of colors in some stages, altough the palette is kept in narrow variations.

how about sapphire?
I remember checking Rayxamber III before and recalling it being around the 70 color range. I've checked Sapphire before also and got mixed results, but can't remember any high point. I'd imagine Sapphire can get up to 90.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keranu on 05/24/2007, 02:07 AMI'd imagine Sapphire can get up to 90.
but which is quite high, regarded to the sheer incredible action which goes on the screen :D

Keranu

Rayxamber III just looks awesome period. :)
IMG

akamichi

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 05/24/2007, 01:27 AMAnyone know how the genesis actually got around the color limitation?  (software tricks, but how does it fool the hardware?)
Don't know for sure, but probably some kind of palette modifications during h-blank.  Seems to be a common technique to display more colors than usual per frame.

I believe Ex-Ranza (Ranger X?) used this trick to get 128 or so colors on screen in game.  However, don't quote me on that since I've never seen the game in action.  I just read about it in a book I have.

Tatsujin

btw. did someone check out some of the highest on-screen colors for SFC & NG AES games? how much do they bring on the scales?

ccovell

The SFC will of course win with colours going into the thousands.  Transparencies and colour blending multiply the on-screen colour amounts pretty quickly.

Tatsujin

yeah..thousands..but i'm not interested in the possibilities, i want to know the facts :mrgreen: how much the best games used?

a garou on the NG and a garou on the PCE doesn't look that much different in terms of colours on-screen, altough the NG can display thousends of them as well, the PCE can't.

Keranu

Quote from: akamichi on 05/24/2007, 06:02 AMI believe Ex-Ranza (Ranger X?) used this trick to get 128 or so colors on screen in game.  However, don't quote me on that since I've never seen the game in action.  I just read about it in a book I have.
I've messed with the color counts in Ranger X before briefly and remember counting around 40 or so. I don't know what book you read that says it can get 128, but color wise the game is a bit messy overall.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I've seen nothing from Ranger-X that looks above average color-wise.  Vectorman 1 sports about 70 colors on screen for nearly the entire game... during gameplay.  Although the NeoGeo AES can supposedly put 4096 colors onscreen at once, I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple hundred from the machine.

CrackTiger

Quote from: ccovell on 05/24/2007, 09:51 AMThe SFC will of course win with colours going into the thousands.  Transparencies and colour blending multiply the on-screen colour amounts pretty quickly.
Which is cool from a technical standpoint.

But they still look like 100+ color games with a simple transparency on top and not like graphics using thousands of colors for shading.

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/24/2007, 06:59 PMAlthough the NeoGeo AES can supposedly put 4096 colors onscreen at once, I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple hundred from the machine.
Man you have serious beef with the Neo Geo, shame on you :P . Anyways, though I have color counted many Neo Geo games, the highest I've seen was over 500 in KoF'98.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Pffft...  even the wimpy Saturn can do that.  It's just a wiener.  The Game Lord says the Neo Geo is a real hot dog!

SuperDeadite

What do you use to count color's anyway?  I'd love to experiment myself.  As for NeoGeo games, I have no clue on how many colors are being displayed, but Blazing Star looks quite bright and purdy.   :mrgreen:
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

JoshTurboTrollX

has anyone tried that one scene in Lords of thunder, when you beat all the normal levels and that one screen pops up connecting all the islands?  It goes incredibly bright and looks really amazing.  Anyway, has anyone looked at that shot?  To me it looks like a ton of colours, much nicer than most SNES and Genny games!

I hope you guys know what shot I'm talking about...lol   :-k
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

GUTS

Yeah I bet Blazing Star puts tons of colors on screen, that game has some of the most amazing 2D graphics of all time.

CrackTiger

Quote from: turbo_sage on 05/25/2007, 08:54 AMhas anyone tried that one scene in Lords of thunder, when you beat all the normal levels and that one screen pops up connecting all the islands?  It goes incredibly bright and looks really amazing.  Anyway, has anyone looked at that shot?  To me it looks like a ton of colours, much nicer than most SNES and Genny games!

I hope you guys know what shot I'm talking about...lol   :-k
I don't think that it has any more colors than the regular map screen.

They probably just color cycled it to the equivalent of being inverted in photoshop like this-

IMG

akamichi

Quote from: Keranu on 05/24/2007, 03:57 PM
Quote from: akamichi on 05/24/2007, 06:02 AMI believe Ex-Ranza (Ranger X?) used this trick to get 128 or so colors on screen in game.  However, don't quote me on that since I've never seen the game in action.  I just read about it in a book I have.
I've messed with the color counts in Ranger X before briefly and remember counting around 40 or so. I don't know what book you read that says it can get 128, but color wise the game is a bit messy overall.
Well, I looked thru the book again and basically it stated that this game could do up to 128 colors.  Couldn't find much info on the book online (for the 5 minutes I tried looking :P), but here's a here's a link to the book called MegaDrive Encyclopedia.  It basically lists all JPN games released (MD, CD, 32X) by date, with a small blurb about the game.  It also has some interviews from some old school MD game developers.

ccovell

Quote from: Keranu on 05/23/2007, 11:42 PMWelp, I guess awack beat my find. 125 is the new record.
It's not an official game, but TML tried valiantly to beat Toy Story's record of 160+...

IMG IMG
  129 colours    ....................................  156 colours

Give the Turbo a shadow & highlight mode in hardware, and I'd be able to beat it!

BigusSchmuck

Sticky pretty please even if it's 6 years old?

Tatsujin