RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

You can use an american TG16 controller with a japanese PC Engine, right?

Started by MotoRoaderMike, 06/08/2007, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoRoaderMike

/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

nat

Yes and no.  The connector plug for each system is different, althought the controller itself is the same.

You have to swap a cable from an actual PCE pad to use a TG-16 pad on the PCE, and vice versa.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

MotoRoaderMike

Quote from: nat on 06/08/2007, 01:33 AMYes and no.  The connector plug for each system is different, althought the controller itself is the same.

You have to swap a cable from an actual PCE pad to use a TG-16 pad on the PCE, and vice versa.
Ah, shit. FUCK!
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

td741

Well, the US TurboDuo connector matches that of the PCEngine and PCEngine Duo's.  There were official converter cables (I forgot the name, I think they were "Duo Cables") that allow you to plug in TG16 controllers in PCEngine.  I don't know they're availability now, but I remember grabbing tons of them and TG-16 controllers and taps when Radio Shack was phasing out TG16 and Duo games and accessories.  I did trade a whack load and kept some for myself.

You can make a reverse-tap as well.  You get a TurboTap and a TG16-tap and swap the connector cables.  Then you have a tap that allows you to use TG-16 controllers on a Duo/PCE and another that allows you to use PCE/Duo controllers on a TG-16.