RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Name that game!

Started by termis, 06/15/2007, 07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

So, let's see how arcade-dorky all you are. 

I thought the graphics were beyond brilliant at that time.

IMG

nat

Hey, didn't we have this thread going like last year sometime?

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ParanoiaDragon

You know, I'm pretty sure I know the game, but I can't think of the name.  I'd have to check my Mame files to refresh my memory, but, I believe the first level is some kind of desert?
IMG

Keranu

It reminds me of Magmax, but I know it's not.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

It looks like some sort of high tech dig dug
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

termis

First level is a foresty-mountain type area IIRC. 

Some big hints - I'd say this game is the spiritual predecessor to Side Arms (I actually think it's better than Side Arms).  So yes, the above sprite is the main character.

nat

ParanoiaDragon

Then that would be Section Z.  Don't know why it took me this long to figure that out, though, I'm more familiar with the NES version, he looks different here.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 06/16/2007, 07:58 AMThen that would be Section Z.  Don't know why it took me this long to figure that out, though, I'm more familiar with the NES version, he looks different here.
I don't think it is Section Z, because our hero in Section Z (arcade) is goofy looking. The NES sprite of our hero is way kooler looking, IMO.

I can't name the game!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

termis

None of the above...

Hmm.... Maybe I started off with a game that was too obscure.  I'll give it some more time before revealing the answer.

Tatsujin

looks like a macross robo. but never played that one, i believe.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Kitsunexus

Looks like an Amiga sprite so it could be one of the games on the Arcadia board....no concrete guess though.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

TR0N

I was thinking Turricane but you stated arcade thumpin_termis  :?: :-k

Damn this one realy has my brain rattleing....
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

OldRover

The only game I thought of was Thexder, but I dont think that was released as an arcade game...how about Wolf Fang?
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 06/17/2007, 05:01 AMThe only game I thought of was Thexder, but I dont think that was released as an arcade game...how about Wolf Fang?
I remember Wolf Fang Puck... wasn't that a hockey game?

termis

Alriight, I guess no one knows that one.  Maybe I started out too hard.   8-[

The answer was Vastar.
IMG IMG

If you never had a chance to play this, and you like shooters like Side Arms, I HIGHLY recommend you check it out on MAME.  For a game developed in 1983, it's quite brilliant.

Moving on to the next game....

Here's an easier one for sure.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 06/17/2007, 02:13 PMIf you never had a chance to play this, and you like shooters like Side Arms, I HIGHLY recommend you check it out on MAME.  For a game developed in 1983, it's quite brilliant.
Kool, I'll have to check that out.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

termis

Quote from: guest on 06/17/2007, 02:38 PMTime Pilot
Correct!  =D&gt;

Do you or anyone else wanna do the next one?

Kitsunexus

Ben does these all the time on vintagecomputing.com, you should check it out!

Seldane

I can do it. :wink:

/untitled1uo9.jpg
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

PCEngineHell

What is that,Side Pocket or sumthin?

termis

Turbo D

Is it an arcade or console game?
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Lunar Pool ? Bah i'm just guessing at this point....
IMG

Joe Redifer

Parlor Games - SMS ?

Seldane

Tron is correct. Lunar Pool it is. :)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

TR0N

Quote from: Seldane on 06/18/2007, 05:11 AMTron is correct. Lunar Pool it is. :)
Damn i took a wild guess on that one.

I'm surpise i was right about it too  :shock:
IMG