RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo Memoirs - Updated 6.27.07 - "Originals"

Started by PCEngineFX, 06/27/2007, 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

The Turbo Memoirs has been updated as of 6.27.07

pcengine-fx.com/TM/

- Layout change/update
- Added new section: "Originals"
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

NecroPhile

=D>  Thanks, this artwork kicks ass!  The unused Godzilla shot is busy and goofy looking (hey ladies, what the hell are you looking at?).  I can certainly understand why they didn't use it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

That's some awesome rare stuff right there (when are you going to add the Might and Magic III one!?), how on Earth did you obtain these? I got a big kick how you pointed out there were ceiling lights showing in the Godzilla image, hahaha.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

lkermel

Waoo, this update is amazing. Where did you find those original cells ?
Congratulations, great photos and the site has a very neat and unique overall quality to it.
Great stuff :)

Turbo D

cool update, everything looks awesome  =D>
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

MrFulci

Everything looks nice, the only issue I had with it is that so many of the pics are at an angle. Many of them I'd rather look at "straight".

I'd like to see more of those types of pictures (Pictures of papers, scans, cells, etc) to be straight, not an angle. Or at least have an option to view it without the angle, outside of copying the picture and rotating in in an image editing program myself.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

guyjin

I think he deliberately puts them at odd angles to discourage plaigarism(sp?) :-k

nat

I think it adds more of an artistic flair to the presentation.

Personally, I love it!

esteban

Aaron, this is great stuff! :)

Quote from: nat on 06/29/2007, 12:32 PMI think it adds more of an artistic flair to the presentation.

Personally, I love it!
You're right, but I think there's some truth behind guyjin's assertion as well.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MrFulci

The stuff at an angle, such as sytems, controllers, etc. That's alright.

What bothers me, are pretty much all the papers, cells, etc being at an angle. When I first saw the originals section, and clicked on a picture, I thought, "Oh, this is at an angle". Then I see another pic like that. After that, I had an idea that nearly all would be the same.

Some of those cells, it's alright, such as air zonk. Though with the map, and some others, it really seems to take away from the picture, as i find my self tilting my head, or just wanting to save the picture to my own hard drive, so I can rotate it myself.

An option to view certain papers, cells (flat things) "straight" would be welcome.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

PCEngineFX

Sorry to hear that you guys didn't care for how the cells were presented.  I just want to warn everyone now that rarely will you see images like these perfectly straight on the Memoirs because of two reasons:

1. Artistic Freedom - I will not be constrained in any way, shape, or form to a standard way of displaying images.  If I deem straight images benefit the set of artwork I am displaying than so be it.  If not, then angles it will be.

2. Plagiarism - Obviously, all of the images found on the Memoirs can be identified as being from pcengine-fx.com and no other site, but just in case, angles add an additional step to making them straight for use in whatever the plagiarizer intends on doing with them.
IMG

MrFulci

I wasn't saying much concerning "artistic freedom", just that the crookedness seems to take away from certain pictures. I find myself tilting my neck and thinking, "Why can't this look even, straight, etc".

When I hold up a map, magazine, cell, transparency, or similar, I don't do so at an angle. I tend to look at it, "straight".

The pictures of the systems, etc at a slant, that's decent to me. Especially since they can be seen elsewhere, I've seen them before. They also show more of the depth to the systems, and such.   For the papers, cells, etc, there really isn't any depth. It's something flat.

I can always take the images and rotate them on my own, so it doesn't bother me too much. I was throwing out a suggestion, as the crooked pictures of the "originals" are a bit repetitive.

It would be nice to have another option of viewing cells without the, "artistic freedom".

That sums up about all I have to say about it.

*edited to add:

I re-read this post, wanted to clarify something.

When I typed, "The pictures of the systems, etc at a slant, that's decent to me. Especially since they can be seen elsewhere, I've seen them before..."   To add to that, see, you're presenting those pictures in a manner that shows their depth, and also a different way of seeing them, since there are MANY other pictures out there of those systems. I've seen those systems plenty.

The originals, a lot of that hasn't been seen. Which is why I want to look at them as I normally would something of that sort. If it were something I'd seen before, I wouldn't have comment on it.

Pcenginefx, I appreciate what you do with this site. I've been visiting for quite a while, even prior to registering on this board in 2005. The PCE TV episodes are fun, my fav part being the short reviews. The guide to PCE and TE compatibility is nice, it's a good link to send folsk to when they are confused about how all the systems cards and such work. The Enemy of the State screen caps you feature, that show the Turbo Express are nice, hahah. If you want, you can snag the caps I posted of the PCE Duo-R I spotted in the aniamtion.

Keep it up, I enjoy seeing updates!

PCEngineFX

Suggestions and comments are always welcome and I do evaluate them if there is a problem with something.  Since there is a majority of people supporting "straight" images in the Originals section, I will seriously consider the suggestion.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 07/03/2007, 04:36 PMSuggestions and comments are always welcome and I do evaluate them if there is a problem with something.  Since there is a majority of people supporting "straight" images in the Originals section, I will seriously consider the suggestion.
I think that a compromise can be reached to satisfy the aesthetic vs. practical concerns folks have voiced. I think you should *continue* to take interesting shots (I like your compositions) and make them available. They look damn nice, and it is so refreshing to have a more "artistic" approach to the subject matter.

If and when you have the desire, you can also make the generic, "straight" images available as well. Think of it as providing the raw source material to folks (I myself like to see this). The advantage here, IMO, is that folks will be able to better appreciate your original compositions when they see the "straight" images.

Ultimately, though, I think you should prioritize your artistic contributions to the site (and the TG-16 scene in general)... perhaps providing the "straight" images at a later date.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MrFulci

No need to fully do away with tilting pictures TG-16 stuff, PCenginefx seems to understand a bit now why I commented as I did; Stuff I've seen before, compared to things I have not seen before.

Going through every image in originals (one exception), seeing it at the same degree tilt, I found repetitive. That lead to my comment in this thread.

Long story short, Mix it up a bit.

BonkThis

I think they look awesome sideways, I totally love the zonk one. Great work as always!!