@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Anyone played Avenger?

Started by pixeljunkie, 07/25/2007, 12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

Picked this up off ebay the other day. Looks great, kind of like a prequel to Under Defeat or something. Will post impressions after I get it. But it looks awesome / hard as nails.

shubibiman

I have.
It's not as great as it seems but the comparison with Under Defeat is quite relevant though.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Tatsujin

yeah..always had the feeling of a zero gunner prequel while playing it. mostly because you can slightly turn you heli-ship (~10°) in left and right direction.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

I think I borrowed this from a local game store once and recall it being quite underwhelming.

esteban

I always thought of this as a poor-man's Tiger Heli / Raiden. It isn't a great game, but you know what? I have certainly gotten some enjoyment from it. It really should have been a much better game, and I feel bad for folks who paid full-price for this back in the day.

Anyway, the one "unique" thing about this game is that your bullet stream sprays slightly to the left / right of your ship when you are pressing the respective direction on the direction pad. This is actually a neat idea to employ in a game where the "target" is constantly shifting and moving. I don't know if Avenger fully capitalized on this game mechanic  (hmmm, it really doesn't), but I think there is potential in the concept.

Avenger is really a generic, lackluster shooter... but if you're like me, you'll be able to enjoy it for what it is (a bargain bin shooter). I love playing all shooters.

I think that some of the music is quite nice at times. Depending on your tastes, Avenger is worth purchasing just for a few songs.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GUTS

I thought it was awful, hell Legion was way more fun.

Tatsujin

Quote from: GUTS on 07/26/2007, 07:16 PMI thought it was awful, hell Legion was way more fun.
:?:

those two are not even comparable in terms of gameplay and ..ehmm..everything.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

runinruder

I don't think Avenger is awful, but I agree with GUTS that Legion is better.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

elnino

Avenger is a fairly good game, not great but certainly not awful either. If you're a fan of shooters then it's a must buy. The limited control of the bullet stream is really innovative and you won't find a better game with the name Telenet on its cover :lol:
The comparison with Legion is way out of line, Legion is an offspring of the devil himself which nobody with even a little bit of brain left in his head ever played for more than about 1 minute.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

Tatsujin

almost agree with you, elnino-kun. but with the following statement, you've probably awaken some of the most dangerous and ugliest demons which now seeking  for bloody revenge.

Quote from: elnino on 07/27/2007, 02:52 AMand you won't find a better game with the name Telenet on its cover :lol:

elnino

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/27/2007, 04:02 AMbut with the following statement, you've probably awaken some of the most dangerous and ugliest demons which now seeking  for bloody revenge.
Yeah it's a little exaggerated but you get the idea. Anyway I do know a person who's now seeking for bloody revenge as well since he is the victim of another person who hasn't sent him some mautherfarking games for 768 years.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

ccovell

Quote from: GUTS on 07/26/2007, 07:16 PMI thought it was awful, hell Legion was way more fun.
A wise man once said, never argue with a fool.  So I won't.

But here's my contribution with the only way that someone could possibly have fun playing Legion:
QuoteAt the title screen press the following (carefully):

D,R,L,D,L,R,U,2,1, RUN, to have the narration accompanied by text.

U,D,L,D,L,R,R,2,U,1,1, RUN, to activate the in-game "edit mode". In-game, pause and press I to bring up a cheat menu. Also you can press Select to have the game display some numbers for scrolling at the bottom of the screen.

U,R,2,R,L,R,L,2,D,2,L,2,R,L,1, RUN, to activate the debug mode.

U,D,U,D,2,1,L,R,L,2,D,2,L,2,2,1, RUN, to see the ending.

If you want a two-player game [someone to share in the agony?! Ugh!], press select before pressing RUN.

Enjoy?

Tatsujin

Quote from: elnino on 07/27/2007, 05:26 AMAnyway I do know a person who's now seeking for bloody revenge as well since he is the victim of another person who hasn't sent him some mautherfarking games for 768 years.
teh Laul!! since this person wasn't able to tell the other person about the condition and price of those muthafarkin' games yet, i think there is no reason for any revenges, not even bloody ones.

GUTS

Legion's first stage is better than all of Avenger.

esteban

Quote from: GUTS on 07/28/2007, 08:48 PMLegion's first stage is better than all of Avenger.
Hahahhaa. What's up with your sig... did I miss some drama between you and Nod?

Anyway, I like Legion too, for what its worth. I don't think that most folks would find Legion as accessible as Avenger, though.

GUTS

Legion is definitely hard as hell, but at least it has some personality.  Avenger is one of the most generic and forgettable shooters out there.  The graphics are so drab and poor it looks barely NES quality, and its so boring and lame that its like work just making it a few stages into the game.

The quote is from when he flipped out over Shape Shifter.

esteban

Quote from: GUTS on 07/29/2007, 02:50 PMLegion is definitely hard as hell, but at least it has some personality.  Avenger is one of the most generic and forgettable shooters out there.  The graphics are so drab and poor it looks barely NES quality, and its so boring and lame that its like work just making it a few stages into the game.
I agree, actually. But I still had some fun playing Avenger, despite its mediocrity. Plus, I like a bunch of the songs (granted, this doesn't have any relevance to the gameplay itself).

I've played worse shooters and had some fun, so perhaps my standards aren't as rigorous as they could be :).