RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Favorite HuCard Spine Scheme

Started by NecroPhile, 10/17/2007, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Here's my contribution to the pointless polls:  What's your favorite spine label scheme (font, layout, color, etc.) and why?  I'm not a big fan of the old school orange and black labels, but prefer the black bars with colored edges of later releases.  The best ones are purple - a nice calming shade that would make any royal family proud.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

I like the original orange/black.

Second to that I like the purple/white scheme of the Super CD titles.

Turbo D

I'd have to say that the purple one on devil's crush is pretty bad-ass  :)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Sparky

Sidearms... nice bright red label and the spine font matches the manual cover, they should have done that more, i think.

Joe Redifer

I like the PC Engine ones the best because I can't read them since they are written in moon language.

OldTurboBastard

Gotta go with the classic Orange/Black cuz most of my games were the earlier ones..

I gotta find a new hobby....
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Keranu

Great poll. It's a really hard choice, but I think I prefer the newer ones with the color scheme actually and like Necromancer, I really like the purple tag. They all look pretty nice though.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

rag-time4

The best one is the Keith Courage orange and black label.

Keith Courage's label actually has squared corners so it covers the whole spine, wheras all the other labels, including sidearms, have curved corners which leave ugly open spaces.

Keith Courage is the best game so naturally it made sense to give it the best label  :D

VestCunt

I like the later PCE hucards.  People bitch about the lack of a sturdy clip inside the case  but the fact that the PCE hucards actually got CD-style, back inserts rather than just stupid spines is a lot cooler.
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

I like those too, VestCunt.  You just can't beat a full color back insert protected from dust bunnies and grubby fingers by a sheet of plastic.  I'd wouldn't mind getting a few of those suckers to house the few loose HuCards I have floating around, rather than leave them sitting out where any old hobo can grab 'em.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

Yep, I lost at least 3 loose hucards to hobos just this week.

I've been using standard jewel cases to house the turbochips that came without cases.  They work pretty well if you leave the black tray in and break off the CD clips in the center of the tray.  That way the hucard fits without too much moving around.  I noticed that the back panel on turbochip boxes would also work pretty well as a rear insert if you color-copied it and cut off the TurboGrafx bar at the top and the copyright crap on the bottom.  I've been meaning to bring my 92-93 turbochip boxes down to Kinkos and making some inserts.
Topic Adjourned.

nat

Quote from: guest on 10/18/2007, 04:43 PMYep, I lost at least 3 loose hucards to hobos just this week.

I've been using standard jewel cases to house the turbochips that came without cases.  They work pretty well if you leave the black tray in and break off the CD clips in the center of the tray.  That way the hucard fits without too much moving around.  I noticed that the back panel on turbochip boxes would also work pretty well as a rear insert if you color-copied it and cut off the TurboGrafx bar at the top and the copyright crap on the bottom.  I've been meaning to bring my 92-93 turbochip boxes down to Kinkos and making some inserts.
Funny you mention this, that's exactly what I did with my Bonk 3 HuCard when I first bought it back in '95 from TZD. It's almost like they made them that way on purpose!

Keranu

Actually I like the solid black backs of TG16 cases :S . It has really nice and smooth plastic.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"