10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Movie Reviews thread =D

Started by Turbo D, 12/07/2007, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rag-time4

Quote from: ceti alpha on 12/29/2007, 01:01 AMI hear ya. I'm not generally into those kind of movies, but I'm a sucker for the Rush Hour series. I'm definitely going to check that one out.

I just watched AVP:R the other night. I had low expectations going in so I wasn't too disappointed. Some of the action/fight scenes were pretty cool, but the human characters just got in the way of the fight scenes. It would have been OK if the human character scenes actually helped to move the plot, but that wasn't the case.
The new AVP movie is one I want to see, but I agree with you about the human character aspect. It would probably be more interesting to just drop the humans and go with only subtitles, or maybe even dialogue free.

How would you feel about a dialogue free Predator movie? I think it could be interesting. It would be a fun challenge to make a movie like that.

Kitsunexus

I had never seen Blade Runner prior to buying The Final Cut DVD. Shocking, yes I know. I bought the Final Cut version because this is how Ridley Scott intended it to be, also some people on the net said that this version cleared up certain scenes involving the unicorn and shit.

So naturally when I saw this in Wal-Mart, I figured this would be a great way to get introduced to a great movie.

If you like this movie, please skip the rest of this post, as I am about to shit all over your dreams. I'm not going to skip over any spoilers either, you can't spoil something that already has curdles in it.

This movie fucking SUCKED. SUCKED ASS. SUCKED ASS THROUGH A FUCKING STRAW. I can't believe I bought this shit, and what's more I can't believe this is a "sci-fi classic". It has an interesting story, sure, but the movie moves LIKE A FUCKING GLACIER. VERY................FUCKING......................SLOWLY.  I just cannot get over the pace, it was like, EVERY DAILY ACTIVITY WAS REWARDED AMPLE SCREEN TIME. >_<

The acting was incredibly cheesy and very wooden, it made me not care for a single character in the film. In fact it hurts the story, as you figure out Rachel's a replicant LONG BEFORE the story decides to reveal it thanks to the shit acting.

The set design was alright, but I could have done without the Chinese girls eating shit on every fucking wall or blimp. I FUCKING HATE THAT FUCKING BLIMP. You're supposed to feel sad after the evil robot dies just after sparing Deckard's life, but it's like, do you SEE any fucking robots around today? WE HAVE NO FUCKING ROBOTS. THUS I DO NOT GET THE MESSAGE ABOUT ROBOT CRUELTY.

Also, explaining the unicorn? WTF, THAT DID NOTHING TO FUCKING EXPLAIN ANYTHING! I seriously thought that I had purchased the normal DVD by mistake, as you only see two five-second segments of a unicorn. But no, unless it was a mistake at the packaging/pressing plants, my DVD is the Final Cut.

So after watching the movie, scratching my head, and searching for the receipt (which as I unfortunately found out Wal-Mart does not accept returns on movies) I decided to watch the movie with the commentary of Ridley Scott.

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOLDFISH. If there is ANYONE so dry and pretentious enough that it will LITERALLY put you to sleep, it is Ridley Scott. I could not get past three scenes with his commentary.  Thank goldfish Snatch is such a light-hearted movie, the dark/gritty images coupled with Ridley Scott's incessant droning about how he's a fucking genuis just REALLY bored me.

The one thing done right in this movie, and I don't really think it's any surprise, is the AMAZING score by Vangelis. That dude can DO NO WRONG. Seriously, hats off to him.

So yeah, I really just don't get Blade Runner. No offense those who do, but I just regretted this purchase immediately after the opening credits.

Speaking of Snatch, btw, that's am OK movie, but I watched it once as it was originally presented, and then again with the deleted scenes re-inserted, but I don't think I'll be watching it again for a LONG time.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Ceti Alpha

QuoteHow would you feel about a dialogue free Predator movie? I think it could be interesting. It would be a fun challenge to make a movie like that.
That would be difficult to pull of, to be sure, but it would be interesting to see. I personally would like to see another Predator movie or even another Alien movie. Resurrection blew chunks, except for that underwater chase scene; that was pretty intense, but the whole hybrid Alien creature thing at the end was terrible.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Ceti Alpha

QuoteThis movie fucking SUCKED. SUCKED ASS. SUCKED ASS THROUGH A FUCKING STRAW. I can't believe I bought this shit, and what's more I can't believe this is a "sci-fi classic". It has an interesting story, sure, but the movie moves LIKE A FUCKING GLACIER. VERY................FUCKING......................SLOWLY.  I just cannot get over the pace, it was like, EVERY DAILY ACTIVITY WAS REWARDED AMPLE SCREEN TIME. >_<
haha. Wow...you really don't like this movie. I'm a big fan of it, but I also like 2001: A Space Odyssey and ST:TMP so... I don't mind slow paced movies.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 12/29/2007, 01:17 AMI had never seen Blade Runner prior to buying The Final Cut DVD. Shocking, yes I know. I bought the Final Cut version because this is how Ridley Scott intended it to be, also some people on the net said that this version cleared up certain scenes involving the unicorn and shit.

So naturally when I saw this in Wal-Mart, I figured this would be a great way to get introduced to a great movie.

If you like this movie, please skip the rest of this post, as I am about to shit all over your dreams. I'm not going to skip over any spoilers either, you can't spoil something that already has curdles in it.

This movie fucking SUCKED. SUCKED ASS. SUCKED ASS THROUGH A FUCKING STRAW. I can't believe I bought this shit, and what's more I can't believe this is a "sci-fi classic". It has an interesting story, sure, but the movie moves LIKE A FUCKING GLACIER. VERY................FUCKING......................SLOWLY.  I just cannot get over the pace, it was like, EVERY DAILY ACTIVITY WAS REWARDED AMPLE SCREEN TIME. >_<

The acting was incredibly cheesy and very wooden, it made me not care for a single character in the film. In fact it hurts the story, as you figure out Rachel's a replicant LONG BEFORE the story decides to reveal it thanks to the shit acting.

The set design was alright, but I could have done without the Chinese girls eating shit on every fucking wall or blimp. I FUCKING HATE THAT FUCKING BLIMP. You're supposed to feel sad after the evil robot dies just after sparing Deckard's life, but it's like, do you SEE any fucking robots around today? WE HAVE NO FUCKING ROBOTS. THUS I DO NOT GET THE MESSAGE ABOUT ROBOT CRUELTY.

Also, explaining the unicorn? WTF, THAT DID NOTHING TO FUCKING EXPLAIN ANYTHING! I seriously thought that I had purchased the normal DVD by mistake, as you only see two five-second segments of a unicorn. But no, unless it was a mistake at the packaging/pressing plants, my DVD is the Final Cut.

So after watching the movie, scratching my head, and searching for the receipt (which as I unfortunately found out Wal-Mart does not accept returns on movies) I decided to watch the movie with the commentary of Ridley Scott.

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOLDFISH. If there is ANYONE so dry and pretentious enough that it will LITERALLY put you to sleep, it is Ridley Scott. I could not get past three scenes with his commentary.  Thank goldfish Snatch is such a light-hearted movie, the dark/gritty images coupled with Ridley Scott's incessant droning about how he's a fucking genuis just REALLY bored me.

The one thing done right in this movie, and I don't really think it's any surprise, is the AMAZING score by Vangelis. That dude can DO NO WRONG. Seriously, hats off to him.

So yeah, I really just don't get Blade Runner. No offense those who do, but I just regretted this purchase immediately after the opening credits.
Sounds like not the kind of movie if for you then if were hopeing for some action flick with scifi mixed in.I did wounder why you bought it in the "frist place afther,your reaction towards it.

I saw blade runner during the mid 90's so i know what i was getting into in the frist place.That's why i was glad to get the limited edition for xmas.

Since it's a slow paced movie that in some ways ask what it is to be human.

Beside,having a look that was ahead of it's time and having a great ost by vangelis.

Still maybe you should ask around here frist befor getting a copy of it.

Some love it others hate it you could put it in the category of not for every one.

Btw if i have watch this..when i was a kid i'm sure it would have bored me to tears.

How ever since i'm older now i can "appreicate it" and i can see why movie critics give it so much credit.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Kitsunexus

You hit the nail on the head. I was hoping for something more like Total Recall/Fifth Element.

Ceti Alpha

Blade Runner is a kick ass movie. It's definitely in my top 10 list.
IMG

Kitsunexus

I just bought The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut. Expect a review shortly.

nat

I will be seeing the new Alien vs. Predator movie tomorrow. Expect a review shortly.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

PCEngineHell

I saw Blade Runner in the theater as a kid. Its been one of my fav movies since then,always will be.

GUTS

The unicorn dream was there to give you a clue as to Deckard's true nature, I haven't seen the movie in ages but you should read up on it and rewatch it again sometime once you know what to look for.  I didn't like it a whole lot either the first time I saw it way back in the early 90s, but after re-watching again a couple years later I absolutely loved it because I was able to catch a lot of the subtleties and subtext going on.  Trying to figure out if Deckard was a replicant or not was awesome.

Kitsunexus

The Warriors....welll, I expected a good movie, and yet again, as fate would have it...

THIS MOVIE WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!!  :dance: :dance: :dance: That was one of the BEST movies ever, everything was PERFECT. Far surpassed the hype!

This easily worked itself into my top 5 favorites.

nat

So I saw AVP:R yesterday.

It was OK. That's it. I'm glad I didn't go see it on Christmas like I was going to.

It is inferior to the first AVP and doesn't have a single name or face I've ever seen or heard of. By comparison, the first AVP was inferior to entire Alien quadrilogy but that's only because those movies rock extremely hard. The story, setting, plot progression, everything was better in the original AVP. That underground temple with the frozen alien queen just ruled. Plus it had nice tie-ins to the original Alien movies what with Lance Henriksen and the whole Weyland-Bishop thing.

AVP:R brings very little to the table beyond lots of blood & guts. If that's your thing, then this movie is for you. For fans of the original Alien movies, like me, AVP:R is a rental.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

^^ I liked it way better than the original, I couldn't stand the first one because of the whole gay ass "buddy cop" feel to the movie after the predator and that black chick became best buds (what the fuck?)  Predators don't team up with humans, that was just way out of character and basically ruined the movie for me.  Plus part 1 was PG13, that was just insulting.

nat

Yeah I thought that part at the ending of the first one was a little odd. I was fully expecting the Predator to just kill her.

Kitsunexus

War is a FANTASTIC movie, how could it not be? It has Jet Li and freaking JASON STATHAM, one of my favorite actors ever, you know when you pick up the box that it's going to be a good movie.

It also has the awesome instrumental of "After U Die" (forgive the cheesy video) by Dr. Dre and Rakim in the credits.

Turbo D

GunHed

Gunhed is a futuristic movie where machines have turned against humans and have taken over (*cough* Terminator theme *cough*.) Long story short, the movie is nothing like the PcEngine game. However, the movie is pretty decent by its on terms. The special effects are pretty bad by today's standards, but they have that cheesy 80's feel to it. There are also scenes that are comical. One aspect that was cool was that the movie was in Japanglish. Yup, you read that right! lol. Most of the characters, including the protagonist, speak Japanese. However, many characters also speak english; when this happens, Japanese subtitles are displayed on the right of the screen. Overall, I would recommend this movie based on its novelty factor. I'm going to display this laserdisc with my GunHed comic books and PcEngine game. :D

IMG
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CipLes

Benjamin Button. Its a pretty lengthy movie, but its unlike any other you will see. Its story is very creative. Its about a guy who starts aging backwards. Brad Pitt plays as Benjamin, great movie.

Tatsujin

NEXT (2007, starring nicolas "dumbface" cage)

It wasn't so good.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Sinistron

Quote from: CipLes on 07/22/2009, 12:05 AMBenjamin Button. Its a pretty lengthy movie, but its unlike any other you will see.
Actually it's a LOT like Forrest Gump.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/22/2009, 01:09 AMNEXT (2007, starring nicolas "dumbface" cage)

It wasn't so good.
Haha- Nick "Droopy Dog" Cage- horrendous actor.  Unfortunately this was based on a Phillip K Dick story- The Golden Man- which IS good.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

esteban

All right, fellas, it's time to recap the "Top 40" movies I watched recently. Only mainstream stuff here:

Doubt -- Fantastic. I saw this a week ago. I didn't know anything about it, and when it ended, I turned to my wife and said, "This was driven purely on  characters' relationships and dialogue, like a play." She replied, "Duhhhhhh!"

You watch the film to see relationships, like any drama. Of course, "relationships" often are distant and disconnected. As long as you can appreciate that, then you're in good shape.

P.S. I guess I've been living under a rock, because everyone knew about this movie except for me. Last night I saw this Doubt (Genesis), which was amusing for the first viewing but doesn't hold up for a second viewing this morning. Or maybe I'm just cranky in the morning.

SpongeBob SquarePants the Movie (200X) -- OK, I think it is fair to say that movies based on TV shows (animated shows in particular) flat out stink. They simply can't compare. I wish they had spent the money on a few episodes, instead of making this bloated piece of bloat of a movie. Sure, it had a few moments of fun, but even a mediocre batch of TV episodes outclass this movie.

CareBears Movie 2: A new Generation (198X) -- Pretty good, actually (you can watch this with a 5 year-old and not kill yourself). The "Lucifer" character in this is passable and adds an edge that I wasn't expecting. Would you sell your soul to the devil to be "Camp Champ"? I actually like a bunch of the songs in this (you guys would hate them, because they are dreck), but they were fun to blast on the stereo whilst watching this with my daughter. Of course, we choreographed our dances to the songs. The songs are softee 80's pop (easy listening) with a bit of weak synth (occasionally)... just barely enough to keep my interest (masochism). Of course, the lyrics are fun to sing along to (topics include "growing up" and stuff like that). I will re-watch* this film, which is pretty close to the tv show, in case you were wondering.

* Five-year-olds never watch a movie once. Multiple viewings are mandatory. This is the law.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Fail

What a piece of shit.  I was expecting it to kinda suck, considering the universal panning by reviewers and Hollywood's unerring ability to piss on every franchise they try to resurrect, and man o' man did they ever deliver.  Essentially, it's a two hour long chase scene / explosion interspersed with lame dialogue, piss poor acting (though Gordon Levitt wasn't half bad), and oodles of flashbacks.  I found the latter most annoying - if you don't know the characters already, then you probably don't care about their back story; if you're familiar with the characters, then you'll be pissed at everything they got wrong.  To top it off, this was one of the grainiest films I've ever seen on a big screen.  I swear, this train wreck looked like it was shot on grandpa's Super 8.

P.S. - Did you know that ice sinks?  :roll:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/17/2009, 01:14 PMG.I. Joe: The Rise of Fail

What a piece of shit.  ...

I can't wait to see this film! Did Snowjob and Zarana make it to the big screen? I hope so.

I saw one trailer for this fine film and was immediately thrilled. I knew that it would be a delightful revisit to all the things I loved about GI Joe as a kid (cartoon, comics, toys).

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 08/17/2009, 02:39 PMI can't wait to see this film! Did Snowjob and Zarana make it to the big screen? I hope so.
Nope, but don't fret; sequels are sure to come.

Quote from: esteban on 08/17/2009, 02:39 PMI saw one trailer for this fine film and was immediately thrilled. I knew that it would be a delightful revisit to all the things I loved about GI Joe as a kid (cartoon, comics, toys).
When I first saw previews, I thought "Yippee!  G.I. Joe!"  A few minutes into the movie, I thought "Poor Joes just got kicked in the pills", starting with the fucking H2s (isn't there about a jillion Humvees from other movies?).  The same sentiment applies if you exchange 'G.I. Joe' for 'Transformers'.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DJLobo

What a piece of shit.  I was expecting it to kinda suck, considering the universal panning by reviewers and Hollywood's unerring ability to piss on every franchise they try to resurrect, and man o' man did they ever deliver.  Essentially, it's a two hour long chase scene / explosion interspersed with lame dialogue, piss poor acting (though Gordon Levitt wasn't half bad), and oodles of flashbacks.  I found the latter most annoying - if you don't know the characters already, then you probably don't care about their back story; if you're familiar with the characters, then you'll be pissed at everything they got wrong.  To top it off, this was one of the grainiest films I've ever seen on a big screen.  I swear, this train wreck looked like it was shot on grandpa's Super 8.

Yep, that's why I'm avoiding this film like the plague. Besides, there's a much better G.I. Joe film that came out earlier this year on Adult Swim.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/17/2009, 03:28 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/17/2009, 02:39 PMI can't wait to see this film! Did Snowjob and Zarana make it to the big screen? I hope so.
Nope, but don't fret; sequels are sure to come.
I hope not! Then they can't bastardize GI Joe any further ;)

Quote from: esteban on 08/17/2009, 02:39 PMI saw one trailer for this fine film and was immediately thrilled. I knew that it would be a delightful revisit to all the things I loved about GI Joe as a kid (cartoon, comics, toys).
When I first saw previews, I thought "Yippee!  G.I. Joe!"  A few minutes into the movie, I thought "Poor Joes just got kicked in the pills", starting with the fucking H2s (isn't there about a jillion Humvees from other movies?).  The same sentiment applies if you exchange 'G.I. Joe' for 'Transformers'.
When I saw one of the trailers for GI Joe, I asked myself, "So, why are they even bothering to call this GI Joe?"

The "bionic" suits they were using... totally lame.

ParanoiaDragon

Actually, while I thought the suits were gonna be lame, once I saw the movie, I didn't think so, since it's not like every single Joe gets one!  I enjoyed the movie, certainly more then the 2nd Tf's movie which I thought was mostly terrible other then Jetfire.  They made Prime the Punisher, not to mention the dumb redneck homie bots Mudflad & Skids, plus the movie was riddled with filthy & dumb humor, the mom Witwicky needs to go away, I hated her in the first one, & she had a bigger role in this one, SHE's TERRIBLE!  I don't want to some dumb mom hopped up on weeded brownee's telling chicks about her son popping his cherry & where his room is, not to mention her & the dad being plunged into the battlefield at the end of the movie?!?  I'll see if the TPB of the movie is better, it certainly is probably cleaner #-o
IMG

blueraven

ROFLMAO.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D&gt;

What about Dennis Quaid?

TurboXray

District 9. Saw it without ever watching a preview or reading what it was about (all I knew was that it had some aliens in it). The first 20 minutes into it, I thought.....god, this it going to be one of those political awareness message movies. I immediately starting having uneasy flashbacks of m night shyamalan movies. As it turns out, I was wrong. Thank god. I really enjoyed it.

The Passengers: Meh. It's decent (it is a little bit slow). It's been done before, but didn't realize it until about halfway through. Worth a rental viewing.

Awake: I thought I had this movie figured out. What a cool flick. I'll not spoil it any further. I love the grit that shows through in this. Recommend.

After Dark: Autopsy. Classic style horror/gore flick. Not the best, but enjoyable. Best line in the movie (and a I paraphrase) "(guy1) ....I take you the fucking Disney land of drugs and you ask for antibiotics!? (guy2) Ah man, I had this guy bleed into my mouth! Uhh! (guy1) Oh man, that's fucked up! ........did you ask him to???"

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Tom on 08/18/2009, 05:44 AMDistrict 9. Saw it without ever watching a preview or reading what it was about (all I knew was that it had some aliens in it). The first 20 minutes into it, I thought.....god, this it going to be one of those political awareness message movies. I immediately starting having uneasy flashbacks of m night shyamalan movies. As it turns out, I was wrong. Thank god. I really enjoyed it.

The Passengers: Meh. It's decent (it is a little bit slow). It's been done before, but didn't realize it until about halfway through. Worth a rental viewing.

Awake: I thought I had this movie figured out. What a cool flick. I'll not spoil it any further. I love the grit that shows through in this. Recommend.

After Dark: Autopsy. Classic style horror/gore flick. Not the best, but enjoyable. Best line in the movie (and a I paraphrase) "(guy1) ....I take you the fucking Disney land of drugs and you ask for antibiotics!? (guy2) Ah man, I had this guy bleed into my mouth! Uhh! (guy1) Oh man, that's fucked up! ........did you ask him to???"
I'm so excited to see District 9. I might have to head to that tonight actually. After Dark, well all those movies sound good.
IMG

esteban

I don't know what this "District 9" film is you keep mentioning, but it sounds interesting.

In other news, I actually want to see the Julia Child film that is out now. Yeah, I do.

Lord Thag

You actually liked District 9? Everyone who went and saw it with me thought it was as dry and boring as sourdough toast without butter, myself included. It wasn't horrible, but it sure wasn't great. Definately a rental, in my book.

And yeah, GI-Joe was one long chase scene with explosions. I found it more entertaining than transformers, in a dumb-but-fun summer blockbuster kinda way. I think there may have been a bit of story in sandwiched between all the ninjas and explosions, but it flashed by to quick for me to catch :)

Still, it had Ninjas.
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Ceti Alpha

I thought District 9 was pretty darn cool. When the movie first started I wasn't sure how they were going to pull it off, but they certainly did. I just love sci-fi movies that portray humans as the galactic trash we are. lol
IMG

_Paul

I saw Surrogates and it's a difficult one to decide on. It's sort of like a poor man's I-Robot, with very little action. The central premise is interesting and it kept me entertained, but looking back on it showed a few flaws and some fairly predictable plot points. I liked it, but it's a movie I will easily forget and won't think about purchasing on DVD.

blueraven

Inglorious Bastards.

A spaghetti-western WW2 Quentin Tarantino drama set to rock & roll with elements of 1960's blaxploitation and 1940's cinematography.

By no means historically accurate, but I haven't seen a better movie all year.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: blueraven on 09/29/2009, 12:31 AMInglorious Bastards.

A spaghetti-western WW2 Quentin Tarantino drama set to rock & roll with elements of 1960's blaxploitation and 1940's cinematography.

By no means historically accurate, but I haven't seen a better movie all year.
haha. Sweet. I'm looking forward to this one.
IMG

Rainbow_Bright

Did anyone see the wrestler ? What did you guys think? I liked it a lot, really good performance by Mickey, so I picked it up on dvd. Some good extras too, including an interview with Mr Rourke. I've seen this dude in a number of interviews and think he comes across really well. Glad to see him back in the big time.

Anyone heard of a film called Moon? Directed by David Bowies son, meant to be really good. But, it only had limited release in some cinemas in the uk/ireland so i never got to see it. I'll have to catch it on dvd.

_Paul

Quote from: rainbow on 10/13/2009, 09:10 AMAnyone heard of a film called Moon? Directed by David Bowies son, meant to be really good. But, it only had limited release in some cinemas in the uk/ireland so i never got to see it. I'll have to catch it on dvd.
I've not seen it but heard generally good things about Moon. It's supposed to hark back to the older days of sci-fi which is a good thing.

blueraven

Quote from: rainbow on 10/13/2009, 09:10 AMDid anyone see the wrestler ? What did you guys think? I liked it a lot, really good performance by Mickey, so I picked it up on dvd. Some good extras too, including an interview with Mr Rourke. I've seen this dude in a number of interviews and think he comes across really well. Glad to see him back in the big time.
In the Theater. An epic WIN.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2009, 10:02 AM
Quote from: rainbow on 10/13/2009, 09:10 AMAnyone heard of a film called Moon? Directed by David Bowies son, meant to be really good. But, it only had limited release in some cinemas in the uk/ireland so i never got to see it. I'll have to catch it on dvd.
I've not seen it but heard generally good things about Moon. It's supposed to hark back to the older days of sci-fi which is a good thing.
Agreed. I still haven't seen this, but I've heard the same thing. It's been so long since there's been a true sci-fi flick.
IMG

Sinistron

Trick 'R Treat was a direct to video horror movie with Brian Cox and Anna Paquin that finally was released- I suggest renting (or buying) the blu-ray as the cinematography is really lush for a dtv release- anyway it's like a mix of Creepshow, Halloween and Pulp Fiction- if you want a great Halloween themed movie to get you in the mood I'd say you can't go wrong- I don't really want to spoil anything further about it- it's a cool movie- not oh-my-god-I'm-gonna-shit-myself scary or anything- but fun- like Creepshow.
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Rainbow_Bright

Quite a few of us want to see Moon then, thats cool :) I'm going to look it up and see when it's out on dvd..

esteban

Grave of the Fireflies (1988) -- I haven't seen this in years, but I just re-watched it and it still kicks ass. The fact that I knew the plot this time round did not diminish its impact. What a goddamn awesome, depressing, bittersweet movie. If you dig this, I suggest you see Fires on the Plain ("Nobi", 1959, Ichikawa). It's another kick-ass anti-war film, but, unlike "Grave...", it has a few moments of divine (morbid) humor that breaks up the intensity. I haven't seen "Fires" in a few years, but I'm pulling out my old VHS if I can't get it from Netflix.

Everyone should see these films, regardless of your political leanings, because they are masterpieces, and I never use that word to describe anything.

So, I'm sure that many of you folks are fans of Carpenter's The Thing (1982) and let me just say: it is totally worth watching this on Blue Ray. I just watched it with my brothers (and mom!) on a new 50" television.

Damn, it just looks gorgeous. I'm no expert in film transfers, but it certainly seems like they did a decent job on this BR release, because I didn't see any imperfections.

I saw this film when I was a kid (HBO at my grandma's house) and it scared the TurboChips out of me. It must have been 1983-84, and it was one of the best/frightening experiences I've ever had in my entire life. I was 8 years old.

I'm glad to report that it still packs a punch, all these years later.

Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro, 1959)  -- Holy crap, I've watched this movie so many times, and I just keep loving it. I suppose some of you will think some of the scenes are corny, but this movie is goddamn awesome. I could write an entire page about why you should see it, but, instead, I'll simply say this: you don't have to dig Greek mythology to appreciate this film. If you are familiar with the myth, though, you are in for a treat, because there are so many wonderful touches (the locations, especially at the film's conclusion, for instance) that just make you want to kiss every single goddamn person who was involved in the film.

Also, you can't help but love Orpheus' trademark song (especially with the kids). So. Goddamn. Awesome.

NEXT UP: Bladerunner. My brothers report that the details in the background that are visible on the Blue Ray are insane. Hopefully, I'll watch that this weekend.

NOTE: I decided that "awesome" and "goddamn" should be used liberally in all of my reviews.

Sinistron

Yes Esteban the Blade Runner blu-ray is a must own- not only does it look stellar but it comes with all FIVE versions of the movie  :)
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Sinistron on 10/15/2009, 09:13 AMYes Esteban the Blade Runner blu-ray is a must own- not only does it look stellar but it comes with all FIVE versions of the movie  :)
GODDAMN, I am stoked :).

blueraven

Quote from: Sinistron on 10/15/2009, 09:13 AMYes Esteban the Blade Runner blu-ray is a must own- not only does it look stellar but it comes with all FIVE versions of the movie  :)
:shock: :shock: Sounds like I need to get a Blu-Ray player.

TR0N

Quote from: blueraven on 10/18/2009, 12:53 AM
:shock: :shock: Sounds like I need to get a Blu-Ray player.
Get a PS3 it does every thing  :wink: :wink: Though the most convenient thing for blade runner on bluray it has all the different cuts on one disc.I have the limted edition on dvd the extras are nice but,each movie is on it's own disc.
IMG

Sinistron

That's strange tron- the Blade Runner Blu ray I have is a 5 disc set.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Maybe Warners finally figured out how to do seamless branching so they could put it on one disc.  Close Encounters has all of the different versions on one disc via seamless branching.  I have the 5-disc set, too.  I have yet to watch anything other than the Final Cut, though I might watch one of the ones with narration because I have never heard that before.

TR0N

Quote from: Sinistron on 10/23/2009, 11:49 AMThat's strange tron- the Blade Runner Blu ray I have is a 5 disc set.
Realy thought it was all in one given bluray is duel layer dunno i guess.Even though i have a (PS3) now i haven't bought a single movie on bluray yet.
IMG