10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

How long could you game without power?

Started by guyjin, 01/09/2008, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combining all your portables, and their ideal battery lives (with a full charge/1 set of batteries) how long could you game continuously?

less than 2 hours
0 (0%)
2-4 hours
1 (14.3%)
4-6 hours
1 (14.3%)
6-8 hours
1 (14.3%)
8-16 hours
0 (0%)
16-24 hours
0 (0%)
2 days
1 (14.3%)
3 days
1 (14.3%)
4 days
0 (0%)
5 days
1 (14.3%)
6 days
0 (0%)
7 days
1 (14.3%)
over a week
0 (0%)
over 2 weeks
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

guyjin

While thinking about the end of the world, I wondered how long I could play games, without electricity.
turns out it's a while: I have a DS (~20 hours under ideal conditions), a Wonderswan Color (~40 hours) and a Game Gear (2 hours). Total of 62 hours. If I swapped the 6 game gear batteries for the WS, I could go a _lot_ longer. But I would have a lot less fun, 'cuz frankly Game Gear software is a lot better.

WoodyXP

Only 2-4 for me... all I have is a GT.  Used to get well over a day on my Micro when I had one.
"I bathe in AES carts."

MissaFX

I am guessing over 48 hours.

PSP slim with 2200mAh - 8 hours (low brightness, volume 2 below max, 200mhz)
PSP fat with 2200mAh X 2 - 5 hours each (low brightness, volume 2 below max, 200mhz)
DS lite with stock battery - 5-6 hours
GBA (no afterburner) with internal 3600 rechargable lithium battery pack - 10 hours
Neo Geo Pocket - I forget how many batteries (I think 4), but Ni-Me, 3000mAh - over 8 hours
Virtual Boy with 6 3000mAh rechargable Ni-Me batteries - over 6 hours
Game Boy Origional - with 4 rechargable lithium batteries - over 6 hours

I also have extra 1800 and a 1200 batteries for the PSPs, and I generally keep 8 AA Ni-Me charged, so if we are allowed to use our extra batteries I could play a long, long time.  I also have 2 UPS batteries.  If I shut them off right away I could later use the 1 battery which can start up without AC power, run it for a few hours charging batteries and then just before it run out, I would jump start my other battery which can run for an hour or two if it was just powering things that are charging.  I cannot live without power and never do. 

Although I would probably just play my PSP slim in the event of a power outage, I could cycle 6 freshly charged li-ion batteries through it and play nearly forever.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

OldRover

My only portable is my DS Lite, so...4-6 hours.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

thanx to DS lite and GB/A i may be able to play around 30~40h. my PSP says bye after 1h already!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

TurboExpress X 2
PCE GT
Gameboy Original x 3
Game Gear
Lynx X 2
Nomad
Random calculator-n-games X 10
frogger, ms pac man "mini-cab tabletop things" (I don't know how to describe)
neo geo pocket
GBA (I still need to get one of those newer models with backlit screens)
cell phone (Ha!)

I can't think of anything else, I can't do the math....
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineHell

Wire up a solar panel,gas generators,problem solved.

Keranu

Oh I thought this thread was going to ask how long could you go without playing games if there was no electricity. In that case, I've had to do that a lot because of my town's crappy power outs (the record of the longest power out being around 19 hours).

Having no clue how long my portable system's batteries could last, I voted "more than 97 hours".
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

However long a PSP and a Gameboy Pocket + flashlight last.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Tatsujin

oh..i completely forgot about my wonderswans which can hold one charge for about +25h

and my PCE-LT-ACCDROM2 combo with regulated 9V/7.2Ah powerstation:

IMG

:)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

guyjin

soo pretty... but how long could you play it?

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

I just picked the longest (97+ hours?) since there are so many portables in my house, including the PCE Duo battery pack.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

I've reset the vote count and added options to accomodate people with ridiculous numbers of portables.

MissaFX

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/09/2008, 08:09 PMmy PSP says bye after 1h already!
Don't ever let your PSP battery go below 30% and it should give you 3 hours with a 1800 battery from the origional release.  Or you are using a non sony battery (or a ripoff sony battery).
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

SignOfZeta

I have two Swan Crystals which get about 22 hours or so (on one measly AA). One has a Mashmods light in it, so knock off a few hours on that one.

I have two Neo Geo Pocket Colors which get something like 47+ hours on two AAs (that's continuous, I have no idea what it is in spurts). The NGP has, by far, the best battery life of any handheld that you'd actually want to play. Simply amazing. Supposedly using lithiums will increase the life by %50 or so, but since lithiums cost %400 as much, that's not really worth it.

Then there is my GBA SP. I think its maybe 14 hours or so. I have no idea. Nothing compared to an NGP, but considering how much more powerful the GBA is, its pretty good.

GB Micro: Maybe 20 hours. Probably not that much.

DS: 15 hours so so, maybe.

So I'd say about 7 days total, the vast majority landing on the NGPs.

Its interesting to note how as some things advance, some things go backwards. New handhelds obviously aren't meant to be taken very far from a wall outlet, but the 90s ones were pretty amazing. It kind of reminds me of how certain models of Minidisc player could get over 100 hours of playback (using the internal rechargeable and the add-on AA adaptor) where as getting an iPod to last more than a few trips to work and back between recharging is impossible.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Missa on 01/09/2008, 11:26 PM
Don't ever let your PSP battery go below 30% and it should give you 3 hours with a 1800 battery from the origional release.  Or you are using a non sony battery (or a ripoff sony battery).
So is that 3 hours including the %30?

I've never seen a PSP last that long, personally. That could be due to irresponsible charging habits since PSPs tend to sit for months upon months between play sessions.
IMG

Tatsujin

kind of memory effect? thought that was past after NiCd-technology.
anyway, the PSP accu has a big self-discharge current. so even you don't play for 1~2 month after a full charge, the accu is completly down (below 10% i guess). i purchased the PSP 2 1/2ys ago and just played rarely with.

MissaFX

Quote from: SignOfZetaSo is that 3 hours including the %30?

I've never seen a PSP last that long, personally. That could be due to irresponsible charging habits since PSPs tend to sit for months upon months between play sessions.
3 hours should be your playtime roughly on a 1800 battery (the first 70%), on a fat, with low brightness, default clock speed (200), wifi off.  I am also assuming you shut down your PSP between play sessions.  You can only do this with a custom firmware and a plugin or by removing the battery physically for a second and re-inserting it (I use a plugin that lets me press left trigger + []).  Otherwise the PSP is in standby mode and very slowly using the battery.  This is different from sleep mode, the most battery draining "off" mode.  The PSP is really designed to be used every day and they assume you will keep it charged more religiously than your cell phone.

MissaFX

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/10/2008, 12:07 AM
kind of memory effect? thought that was past after NiCd-technology.
anyway, the PSP accu has a big self-discharge current. so even you don't play for 1~2 month after a full charge, the accu is completly down (below 10% i guess). i purchased the PSP 2 1/2ys ago and just played rarely with.
It isn't a memory effect, it is what happens when you drain any Li-ion battery down below 25-30%, they get damaged slightly and they will never recharge to full again.  They will read full because the voltage is proper, but they will seem to drain more quickly because they are actually storing less. 

If you let your PSP sit for more than a week, always charge it before using it.

guyjin

Wait. I thought battery memory occurred when you charged it without draining it completely.

Also, Utada Hikaru goes down *cough* on a DS:
IMG

MissaFX

Quote from: guyjin on 01/10/2008, 12:25 AMWait. I thought battery memory occurred when you charged it without draining it completely.
Yes, that is how memory works.  You can discharge a battery with memory and fix it.

Li-ions however experience something similar to memory if you over discharge it (this amount varies battery to battery).  However you cannot fix a Li-ion with this problem.  It is just garbage.

I did this to 2 cell phone batteries and to my first PSP battery because I never knew this could happen.  I can assure you from use it does happen this way though, even if I do not know the science behind it.

Tatsujin

so my conclusion:

1x GB ~20h*
1x GBA SP ~12h
1x GBA micro ~10h
1x DS lite ~10h
1x PSP ~2h
1x NGP Color ~35h*
1x Wonderswan b/w ~30h*
1x Wonderswan crystal ~25h*
1x PCE GT ~2h*
1x Gamegear ~2h*
1x PCE accu-pac combo ~3h
(30+ Game & Watch(es) = ~100ys+)

total: 101h (+100ys)

*under best batterie available condition

MissaFX

Quote from: Tatsujin(30+ Game & Watch(es) = ~100ys+)
ROFL

NecroPhile

2-4 hours on my TurboExpress (far longer if I can cheat by firing up the generator).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guyjin on 01/10/2008, 12:25 AMAlso, Utada Hikaru goes down *cough* on a DS:
IMG
I was just about to post that. "DON'T FUCK WITH THE CRAZIES!"

MissaFX

Quote from: KitsunexusI was just about to post that. "DON'T FUCK WITH THE CRAZIES!"
I think she thinks the trigger buttons on the DS suck as much as I do.  Or maybe it is a fix for the cracked back hinge? :-k

Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

TAKE ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!  :lol:

Why hasn't that hit 4Chan yet?

guyjin

Tatsujin