RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

A couple o' movie mini-reviews

Started by nat, 02/03/2008, 12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

I saw The Eye and Rambo this weekend. I hadn't seen or read any reviews of Rambo going in, so I had no idea what to expect. For The Eye, I'd hear nothing but a few negative reviews. So here's my take.

The Eye - Normally these Asian-to-American conversions (The Ring, The Grudge, etc) don't impress me much. It always feels like something gets lost in translation. I don't mean language-wise; some part of the essence of the films are missing. The Ring was OK, definitely kind of creepy but not the best in it's genre. The Grudge was just horrible. I won't touch on their respective sequels. Despite the negatives I'd heard about The Eye, I actually enjoyed it. I might be a little biased since I have a huge crush on Jessica Alba, it's hard to say. I didn't get that "something's missing" feeling from this one, however. It was adequately creepy but I wouldn't say scary. It has a few of those "BOO!" startle-you moments but that's about it. Parts of the story were somewhat predictable, but I was interested to see how things would play out regardless. It kept me involved enough to hold my attention the entire time. In any case I enjoyed it and would recommend it for those who like these type of films.

Rambo - Good grief. Where do I begin? I'll make it simple. Imagine an hour-and-a-half long explosion with dismembered limbs flying at you the entire time. I saw more severed heads in this movie than in all the movies I've watched in the past 15 years combined. Great action flick. Loved it.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

Here's my review (with spoilers, you've been warned):

Rambo
This movie kicks ass.  Starts kind of slow, but the payoff is worth it.  [spoiler]I love how the wimpy do-gooders realize that peace and getting along and helping people is not the answer.  Instead, good ol' violence is the solution, as always.  I loved it when the do-gooder killed a bad guy and he realized his new life would be filled with action and adventure and that his old life was just a waste of everyone's time.[/spoiler]

nat

That's funny, I had the exact same thought at that moment. I think I even said something along those lines to my movie-going buddy.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

Awesome, thanks for posting that.

Ceti Alpha

lol. That's awesome Tatsujin.  :lol: I think I see a pattern there. heh

I look forward to Rambo. I'll have to go see that and Cloverfield this week.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

I've heard polar reviews on Cloverfield; all over the place on that one. GUTS loved it, Aaron walked out 20 minutes in.

Let me know what you think.

esteban

I want to see Rambo (and that new Rocky film) simply because I'm curious. They might stink, but I have to see them.

As for real films, I watched Stroszek (1977, Werner Herzog) again. I haven't seen it in.... a decade? ... but, damn, I still love this movie. I don't know if anyone here would actually dig it, so I would recommend a long list of other Herzog films before this one.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

Rocky Balboa really wasn't all that bad; certainly better than V, which was pretty much ignored anyway.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

The new Rocky was really good actually, if you like those movies.

I don't know, I might like Rambo better though.

OldRover

I've seen bits and pieces of the latest Rocky movie while working the Walmarts. It doesn't seem like a bad movie.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

I thought the new Rocky sucked (go figure). Too much lame dialog going on until the big bout and the big bout was no where near as exciting as the prequels. I thought Rocky V was pretty crappy too, but I have to say I enjoyed it more (if for the cheese factor alone).
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Rocky 4 had music by Vince DiCola, didn't it?

nat

Rocky 4 was one of the best Rocky movies, although I have no idea who did the music.

runinruder

Tatsujin

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/03/2008, 02:36 PMRocky Balboa really wasn't all that bad; certainly better than V, which was pretty much ignored anyway.
word. it wasn't a rocky 1 not even a 2, 3 or 4, but it was light years better than the crappy 5!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: OldRover on 02/03/2008, 03:32 PMI've seen bits and pieces of the latest Rocky movie while working the Walmarts. It doesn't seem like a bad movie.
just a little bit unrealistic. but regarded to the old aspirants, the new one was just risible. so no big probs. also for a 60yrs over rocky!

Joe Redifer

Kitsunexus

Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

MurderDate

this is a little off subject  but I've been a cult movie / horror buff for years  and I was THRILLED to see that review of Dr Butcher MD in Turbo Force Magazine #3.   Whoever had the gall to publish that in an up and coming video game magazine (complete with a detailed description and photos taken off the sceen!) has my respect.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Sinistron

After moving this weekend we were dog tired- just rented movies.

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford-
I was expecting something good- but I must say this movie screamed "masterpiece".  Gorgeous, lush cinematography, incredible acting- and it's always great to see Garret Dillahunt from Deadwood getting roles.  Actually reminded me of the first season of Deadwood- the whole Wild Billd/Jack McCall thing.

Across the Universe-
Sucked.  Sucked.  Sucked.  Turned it off halfway through.  I knew what it was going in- but let's just say it doesn't work.  Schmaltzy, corny, plain old crap.  Everytime a character is introduced- "hi- I'm Sadie..." You can already see what song will be coming up ten minutes or so down the road.  Even worse is that half of the songs seem to have no context whatsoever within the overreaching "story" that's playing out.  Avoid.

The Nines-
Wow.  This was bad.  Started off really interesting- I'd say it stayed interesting for 2/3rds way through.  Then it starts to become obvious that there'll be no payoff, no explanation, no nothing.  Just a load of pseudo existential, "spiritual", self-indulgent horsecrap.  What a waste of Hope Davis.  Nice try from Ryan Reynolds- but this material is bad.  It wants so hard to be one of those movies that stays in your head- leaving questions.  The only thing it leaves it two hours of wasted time and a bad taste in your mouth.  Stay away.

Also rented The Abyss as my girl never saw it- (she loved it), and I rented but have yet to watch the remake of Black Christmas- just for two reasons- was in the mood to see a bunch of hot girls getting butchered and I have a big thing for Mary Elizabeth Winstead.   :P
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

nat

Black Christmas is pretty shallow, but it's fine if you like that sort of thing.

Sinistron

I wasn't expecting high caliber stuff- just junk- and Mary Elizabeth Winstead...
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Rainbow_Bright

I need to go see this new Rambo movie :) I liked the new Rocky film! I always liked Sylvester. I think he comes across as a really nice guy.

nat

Live Free or Die Hard - I was on a movie roll this weekend, so I decided to top it off with the newest installment in the Die Hard series yesterday. It's really a shame I didn't go see this on the big screen. I wanted to, but timing was never right. Fantastic movie. If you've seen the other Die Hards you know what to expect here, and Bruce doesn't disappoint. It's been many years since I watched the original and seeing this really made me want to go pull it out and revisit. Some guy I know only as the "Mac kid" (from the Mac vs. PC commercials) plays in a great supporting role here and does a nice job. Although I kept expecting him to say "Hi, I'm a Mac." every time they met someone new. Great way to spend 2 hours, you can't go wrong. So in keeping with the trend of set by Rocky & Rambo, another classic series gets a breath of fresh air in 2008.

Sinistron

ha see that- Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays McClane's daughter in that one.
IMG

nat

Oh, is that her? Yeah I guess she's kinda cute. She was in Black Christmas?

Sinistron

yeah and she's the girl in the cheerleader outfit in Death Proof.
IMG
IMG
IMG
 ](*,)
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Sinistron on 02/04/2008, 02:09 PMyeah and she's the girl in the cheerleader outfit in Death Proof.
The one who (SPOLIER)

gets her face ripped off by a tire?

(/SPOILER)

Sinistron

was it her? lol I guess so- yellow cheerleader uniform-
IMG [-o&lt;
IMG

Kitsunexus

Oh wait no, she's in the second quartet of girls, she's the one Kim and Zoe left behind with that dude to borrow the Vanishing Point car.

I was thinking of Vanessa Ferlito.

Sinistron

right right she's with the chicks that get revenge but not there with the three of them at the end

she was being talked up for being wonder woman in justice league but I guess she lost out. 
man I'd love to see her in that costume.
IMG

NecroPhile

Cripes!  What is she, 15?  I'd hit it regardless, but she looks like jailbait.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Sinistron

Quote from: guest on 02/04/2008, 03:01 PMI'd hit it regardless
lol.  jeez I guess I better check- hold on...
IMG

Sinistron

:) :) :)
She's good boys! 23 years old- born November 28th, 1984!
 :-"
twenty three skidoo!  she's ready for it!  :wink:
IMG

Sinistron

Funny because my other favorite (in that way) current actress looks older than Winstead- but I just found out that she (Camilla Belle- from the When A Stranger Calls remake, The Chumscrubber, The Quiet and the upcoming 10,000 BC) is 21.  Beautiful, beautiful chicka.  :-"
Sorry to pervert this thread Nat...  :evil:
IMG

NecroPhile

Is your 'modify' button broken, Sinistron?

Sinistron

no she works fine  :P
it all depends on how quickly I have something more to say- if it's under a minute then I modify- if not I usually just add another.  Does it grate on you that much, nitpicker?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: nat on 02/04/2008, 01:03 PMLive Free or Die Hard - I was on a movie roll this weekend, so I decided to top it off with the newest installment in the Die Hard series yesterday. It's really a shame I didn't go see this on the big screen. I wanted to, but timing was never right. Fantastic movie. If you've seen the other Die Hards you know what to expect here, and Bruce doesn't disappoint. It's been many years since I watched the original and seeing this really made me want to go pull it out and revisit. Some guy I know only as the "Mac kid" (from the Mac vs. PC commercials) plays in a great supporting role here and does a nice job. Although I kept expecting him to say "Hi, I'm a Mac." every time they met someone new. Great way to spend 2 hours, you can't go wrong. So in keeping with the trend of set by Rocky & Rambo, another classic series gets a breath of fresh air in 2008.
I saw it in the theater. It was totally fun, despite some corny stuff. IIRC, they kept the gunfights rather short (unlike most movies that have gunfights going for 20+ minutes and use 30,000+ ammunition rounds).

Plus, who isn't amused by the "odd couple" formula: Bruce + "Mac Kid" ? Yeah, its corny, but it's fun :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Sinistronit all depends on how quickly I have something more to say- if it's under a minute then I modify- if not I usually just add another.  Does it grate on you that much, nitpicker?
It grates on me.  There is no reason to do that in such a short amount of time.  The only reason people seem to like to do that is to inflate their post count.  It also looks incredibly messy when viewing the page.

GUTS

Live Free or Die Hard was awesome, I loved it.  The end was especially cool, I didn't see that coming at ALL, and the whole movie was filled with some nice creative ideas that worked really well.  Plus the one-liners were actually tasteful and not overdone (the few that there were, another great point), hell the best one was where McClain kills some dude and just yells "HA!", I laughed super hard at that.

nat

Yeah, it was a great movie.

My favorite line was when he rammed that bitch with the SUV and while she was pinned to the front of the truck he goes, "How ya doin'?" all nonchalant. Great stuff.

Joe Redifer

She must be the bionic woman, climbing and kicking after all that!

Sinistron

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/05/2008, 09:47 PMIt grates on me.  There is no reason to do that in such a short amount of time.  The only reason people seem to like to do that is to inflate their post count.  It also looks incredibly messy when viewing the page.
"like to do" doesn't come into play here.  I wasn't considering it- was thinking more about what I was writing at the moment actually. 
As for inflating the post count- I made a minor joke out of it when approaching "Venus Bonk Trap"- I am here because I have something in common with most of the members here- a love of the pc-engine.  I am not here to put on a show, to put on airs, or to further validate an already full and comsuming life by inflating my post count.  If that was really my bag- you'd see me here on the weekends more.  You do not.

You are a mod now- so if it really grates on you so heavily then either A) deal with it, B) edit it, C) kick me off the site, D) talk to me a little more respectfully, which can work wonders or D) continue to whine about it.  The only option I don't care for is C- since I rather enjoy this page- but hey the power is yours.

I know you're the ninja and everything here- but this isn't the first time you or necromancer have come off strangely cold in my direction.  Don't expect me to stay mum- not really my style.
IMG

nat

Nobody's getting kicked off anything.

In the future just make an effort utilize "Modify" whenever possible so as to streamline other users' reading of the board as much as possible. It's a minor point of forum etiquette.

It's analogous to making the effort to fit your Hummer into one parking space at the mall (since I'm sure you have one). Sure you could just take up two, and save yourself 30 seconds of time but you inconvenience everyone else in the process.

That's it, no biggie. Nobody hates you, is going to kick you off or any nonesense like that.  :D

Now, since this is my thread, I demand that this train of discussion ends now and we return to talking about movies.

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 02/06/2008, 11:26 AMNow, since this is my thread, I demand that this train of discussion ends now and we return to talking about movies.
Mandate rejected......

Quote from: Sinistron on 02/06/2008, 09:13 AMI know you're the ninja and everything here- but this isn't the first time you or necromancer have come off strangely cold in my direction.
I'm not cold, just cynical and seldom serious (maybe I need to toss around a few more smilies).  If you don't like me commenting on your bad forum manners, then I suggest that you either A) deal with it, B) ignore my posts, C) deal with it , D) go away, or E) deal with it.  I vote for options A, C, or E.  :twisted:

Sort of back on topic (TV box set):  I just watched a few episodes of Red Dwarf - Series 3, and it's pure gold.  Beware the polymorphs!

nat

Non-remasters I assume? DVD?

You've seen all the episodes, right?

Joe Redifer

Quote from: SinistronI know you're the ninja and everything here- but this isn't the first time you or necromancer have come off strangely cold in my direction.  Don't expect me to stay mum- not really my style.
I don't know where you think I'm coming off cold or disrespectful.  To be honest I am not that familiar with you or your posting style, so any grudges you think I have against you are in your imagination alone.  It's just common sense, that's all.  Granted if enough time has passed and you have new and relevant info to add, then making a new post is fine.  But mere minutes and just adding to the same chain of thought?

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 02/06/2008, 05:55 PMNon-remasters I assume? DVD?

You've seen all the episodes, right?
Correct on all counts, though it's been years since I've seen some of the episodes.