@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

question about copyright law of game musics

Started by Tatsujin, 02/13/2008, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

i have a question about how the international law conderning musics in video games are copyright protected?

become those musics time-barred somewhen?
does it depends, how the music was registered back the?
does it depends, if it's about old chip tune music or red book audio?
does the copy right belong to the composer or the company which has/had the game rights? and if the company doesn't exist anymore, what happens then?

i think it differ case by case, how the contract was closed back then. but any thoughts or facts about this issue would be appreciated :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Hobo Xiphas

I am not a copyright lawyer but I play one in Phoenix Wright.

Quote from: Tatsujinbecome those musics time-barred somewhen?
I'm having trouble trying to figure out what you mean, but yeah, it will eventually become public domain.  75 years or so in da US, probably the same or less in Japan.

Quote from: Tatsujindoes it depends, how the music was registered back the?
Nah, international copyright law has been pretty static since video games have been around

Quote from: Tatsujindoes it depends, if it's about old chip tune music or red book audio?
No.  What does depend is if a musician licensed their work to the game company, but kept the rights to it.

Quote from: Tatsujindoes the copy right belong to the composer or the company which has/had the game rights?
Depends on the circumstances.  99% of the time, especially with older games, I'd say it belongs to the same guys who own the game.

Quote from: Tatsujinand if the company doesn't exist anymore, what happens then?
Whoever bought the company owns the rights.  If no one bought the company, then it might either revert to the original creators or be considered public domain depending on the country.

Kitsunexus

Of course, some assholes don't care about chiptune music, ie: Timbaland.  :evil:
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Seldane

Be a proud pirate and steal all the music you can.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

guyjin

Tatsujin is clearly a Ninja, and not a pirate.  8)

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: guyjin on 02/14/2008, 04:32 PMTatsujin is clearly a Ninja, and not a pirate.  8)
So, too, is Joe Redifer, but who is the cooler and better ninja? That we may never know 8).

To give an extension on this knowledge, using video game music for works created by yourself without much permission are safe to use for, in example, videos uploaded to the Internet. Many videos on YouTube, as well as possibly MySpace, are good evidence of this (which, in corresponding, refer to some of mine).
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Hobo Xiphas

YouTube is not a good example to use for backing up copyright claims.

99% of the stuff on there technically violates someone's copyright.