10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Heh, a 4:3 version is even worse.  And yet this fool questions why anyone would laugh at him for using it with a PS4.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 06:07 PMHeh, a 4:3 version is even worse.  And yet this fool questions why anyone would laugh at him for using it with a PS4.  :lol:
Keep trying, you may get a laugh this time.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NecroPhile

Troll harder, chief.  Maybe some day you really will make me mad, but I wouldn't count on it.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 06:23 PMTroll harder, chief.  Maybe some day you really will make me mad, but I wouldn't count on it.
Maybe when he finally collects every piece of the world's collectable collections his ego will grow to the point where he just might start ruffling some evil robotic feathers around here.

bartre

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/16/2017, 04:51 PMNice. Is Oreshika reasonably priced now? I enjoyed that game.
I paid $35 for it, plus shipping from malaysia.
figured "fuck paying $10 to ship one game"
so I bought waifus the game.

Gypsy

Quote from: bartre on 01/16/2017, 07:45 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 01/16/2017, 04:51 PMNice. Is Oreshika reasonably priced now? I enjoyed that game.
Yeah that's pretty reasonable for the game, I paid more than that at launch. For awhile there was a shortage and the price spiked to herpaderp so I was wondering. I beat the game shortly after release. Not sure how much you know about the game going in but sometimes actually making progress is a bit weird because your characters do die so you have to breed characters to get new characters with better stats/growth rates. Also quite a bit of the game is randomly generated when you start a new game iirc.

SuperGrafx

Wow.
I came back to this thread to see if anyone noticed the post about my recent humble purchase.
Was not expecting to find this sort of thing lol!

bartre

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/16/2017, 08:11 PM
Quote from: bartre on 01/16/2017, 07:45 PM
Yeah that's pretty reasonable for the game, I paid more than that at launch. For awhile there was a shortage and the price spiked to herpaderp so I was wondering. I beat the game shortly after release. Not sure how much you know about the game going in but sometimes actually making progress is a bit weird because your characters do die so you have to breed characters to get new characters with better stats/growth rates. Also quite a bit of the game is randomly generated when you start a new game iirc.
yeah it seemed different; good to kill time between classes.
and I can play it in public, unlike Moe....

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 04:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 04:08 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 03:42 PMLike I've already said repeatedly, it doesn't matter if you care or not.  The fact remains that there's a very good reason to not use such a CRT with a PS4.
lol why would anyone think that's a good idea, even with RGB inputs the scan lines would be very out of place.

I don't even think there would be proper aspect ratios
Most HD CRTs don't have scan lines and it's a 16:9 tube.
Whoah wait. Most?

I wasn't aware of any HD CRTs having scan lines. My interest is peeked. Which HD CRT models have scanlines?  Wouldn't mind finding a YouTube video or images showing this. Just for the fun of it.

DragonmasterDan

This was a digital download only in the US on Vita. But a physical version in English came out in Hong Kong. It arrived this past weekend.

/zpskalaj0zb.jpg
--DragonmasterDan

Gredler

I've loved it so far Dan. I'm playing on PS4 and have a blast with it, so addictive to build the town's while listening to beautiful renditions of memoralble DQ music by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. Enjoy it man!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gredler on 01/17/2017, 05:56 PMI've loved it so far Dan. I'm playing on PS4 and have a blast with it, so addictive to build the town's while listening to beautiful renditions of memoralble DQ music by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. Enjoy it man!
I'm not sure if they kept the music intact for Vita but I'll get too it eventually. I'm still playing the DQ VII remake.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/17/2017, 06:11 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 01/17/2017, 05:56 PMI've loved it so far Dan. I'm playing on PS4 and have a blast with it, so addictive to build the town's while listening to beautiful renditions of memoralble DQ music by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. Enjoy it man!
I'm not sure if they kept the music intact for Vita but I'll get too it eventually. I'm still playing the DQ VII remake.
Is it ps tv compatible?

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/17/2017, 06:11 PM
I've been playing it too. I'm nearly 20 hrs in and have barely scratched the surface. That game is loooooooong.

Bloufo

Picked up a Super CD-ROM² unit the other day. Local guy selling off his stuff.

RGB modded, so that's a nice bonus. I opened it up to see if it needed cleaning and whatnot.

/f20u9x.jpg

Covered by a piece of bubblewrap, and sticky tape holding down the RGB Amp.
Isn't there a better way of doing that?  :P

In any case, I'm happy with the visuals, aside from the fact that my specific RGB to Component convertor needs some color correction/adjustment. It's always given off this slightly green tint to the picture.

Mandlebaum

Quote from: Bloufo on 01/19/2017, 07:45 AMPicked up a Super CD-ROM² unit the other day. Local guy selling off his stuff.

RGB modded, so that's a nice bonus. I opened it up to see if it needed cleaning and whatnot.

/f20u9x.jpg

Isn't there a better way of doing that?  :P

In any case, I'm happy with the visuals, aside from the fact that my specific RGB to Component convertor needs some color correction/adjustment. It's always given off this slightly green tint to the picture.
Doujindance strikes again.

Bloufo

Quote from: Mandlebaum on 01/19/2017, 08:22 AMDoujindance strikes again.
You think that's him?

Sheesh, there's no escape! Not even for us in the bottom of Africa? :lol:

Gypsy

I picked up a rough looking PS2 with a network adapter from a junker type shop yesterday. $4.50. Looked like the writing on the price sticker said "needs laser" but I couldn't tell for sure and for the price I didn't bother to ask. Well I bring it home and even practically new games don't boot, get a nice disc read error. So I take it apart, clean everything and grease the gears. Booted a few games and messed around with it after that. Didn't give it any extended play but it appears to be fine now.

Gypsy

Wellllllll I got a CRT monitor today but it didn't really survive fedex. :(

Bloufo

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/19/2017, 10:22 AMWellllllll I got a CRT monitor today but it didn't really survive fedex. :(
Aw man, that's rough.

A write-off?

Gypsy

Quote from: Bloufo on 01/19/2017, 10:28 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 01/19/2017, 10:22 AMWellllllll I got a CRT monitor today but it didn't really survive fedex. :(
Aw man, that's rough.

A write-off?
I messaged the seller hopefully they reply soon. I'd rather recycle it than bother packing it back up to return it but it depends on what they want to do.

The front left part came a bit loose from the bezel. One of the menu buttons now doesn't work at all and another is touchy at best. There is also a nice rattle inside now... It still functions but due to the button that is broke I can't change most of the settings. :|

Edit: Picture quality looks shot to shit too, probably on its last legs.

sirhcman

Sorry to hear that gypsy :( Where are you located? I will keep my eye out for something close to you if you would like..

Gypsy

NE Kansas.

I might be picking up a 14'' PVM in the meantime. The guy that has them is flaky as hell based on past experiences though.

Gypsy

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/19/2017, 10:31 AMEdit: Picture quality looks shot to shit too, probably on its last legs.
To follow up on this yeah the tube is poop due to heavy use. Had to apply gamma correction and have it at max brightness to really display and it still looked poor. In contrast an old emachines piece of shit I have running at 50% brightness was better lol.

Mathius

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Mandlebaum on 01/19/2017, 08:22 AM
Quote from: Bloufo on 01/19/2017, 07:45 AMPicked up a Super CD-ROM² unit the other day. Local guy selling off his stuff.

/f20u9x.jpg

Isn't there a better way of doing that? 

Doujindance strikes again.
If that's doujindance, it's a step up from his older work. I think it was Mckris that posted some pics of some attrocious work from him.

Gypsy

Quote from: Mathius on 01/19/2017, 08:38 PM^^Keep us updated.
I'm waiting for a final decision from the seller before I open it up but will do. They offered a comparable model (but they didn't realize this one was in such bad shape for the display due to the settings being dialed to 11 so I can't exactly trust their judgment) or a refund and I asked for the refund.

Provided I don't have to send it back (sounded like they def didn't want it back) I will see if I can help it any.

SuperGrafx

Walked into Wal-Mart today, which is a rarity for me.
Whilst browsing the aisles I saw a cardboard display to "Reserve your Nintendo Switch!!" in the gaming section.

I asked the sales drone if they had stopped taking pre-orders, and he said, "why no...today is the last day. Go to the service desk to put down your 10% deposit". 

So after all was said and done, I've ended up with a Switch on pre-order.
Still debating if I truly want it, but what the hell!

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

Gredler

Nice Dan! I have not played that one, though I was given a ps2 copy by a friend years back and got it for free on android, I am still considering grabbing this to play it. 3DS is my RPG machine right now for sure. If I weren't in the thick of Bravely Default I'd probably jump on that! I'll be excited to hear how you like it

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gredler on 01/20/2017, 01:52 PMNice Dan! I have not played that one, though I was given a ps2 copy by a friend years back and got it for free on android, I am still considering grabbing this to play it. 3DS is my RPG machine right now for sure. If I weren't in the thick of Bravely Default I'd probably jump on that! I'll be excited to hear how you like it
It's my single favorite game on PS2. But yeah, don't play the Android version it runs slow and choppy
--DragonmasterDan

Gredler

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/20/2017, 02:16 PMIt's my single favorite game on PS2. But yeah, don't play the Android version it runs slow and choppy
It's sad to say I've spent the most time on the Android version. I was assuming it was my device causing it to run like garbage, but I got far enough in that I knew I wanted to play the game. Lofty position in the ranks of PS2 for you surprises me knowing little about your ps2 preferences, but makes me want to play it even more.

Gypsy

I don't quite like it as much as Dan but it's a fantastic traditional JRPG that is well worth the time of any fan of the genre.

Bloufo

Put a whole bunch of extra games with that hack on the NES Classic.
So since I was spending quite some time playing those, I figured I may as well get me one of these.

Feels good in the hands. No noticeable lag.

IMG

NightWolve

Ah, you got the classic, I bought their SNES pad a while ago.

Yeah, great stuff and if you can boot it to keyboard mode, it'll work with most PC games (if keyboard keys can be configured) as opposed to being booted to USB joystick mode which is the default. Very, very close to the weight and feel of an original SNES pad! A solid knock-off!

Cons: The battery is cheap, lasts ~24 hours. However, there's plenty of room to buy a better quality, higher milliamp 5V replacement so it can last longer. Sucks they cheaped out in that area. I can only speak for the SNES version of course, but yeah...

Bloufo

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/21/2017, 04:53 AMAh, you got the classic, I bought their SNES pad a while ago.

Yeah, great stuff and if you can boot it to keyboard mode, it'll work with most PC games (if keyboard keys can be configured) as opposed to being booted to USB joystick mode which is the default.

Cons: The battery is cheap, last 24 hours. However, there's plenty of room to buy a better quality, higher milliamp 5V to have it last much longer. Sucks they cheaped out in that area. I can only speak for the SNES version of course, but yeah...
I've tried a few other wireless pads with that receiver. They work. So that's nice.

As well, I had an idea (just the other day I picked up one of those SNES Classic controllers. It's still in its wrapping) that I may be able to use that SNES Classic pad wirelessly via that receiver, syncing via a Wiimote. That works as well.

IMG

sirhcman

Quote from: Bloufo on 01/21/2017, 02:55 AMPut a whole bunch of extra games with that hack on the NES Classic.
So since I was spending quite some time playing those, I figured I may as well get me one of these.

Feels good in the hands. No noticeable lag.

IMG
Can you map "Y" to "B" and "B to "A" for use on the NES Classic? Otherwise I would find this controller to be a whole lot of awkward when trying to play games where you want to use quick button presses between B and A  or holding down the B button while hitting the A button (example: Mario run/jump).

Side note: I don't understand why all these companies are making new NES controllers and can't just put the B and A buttons side by side. They insist on putting the buttons at an angle (and the wrong angle no less). The Nyko NES Classic and Retro-Bit Capcom controllers come to mind

Flare65

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Nexr for a while, but whenever I see one, the price is $180 and up usually....if you do find one less than that, its in very piss poor shape.  When PCEWorks announced this new set, I jumped on it.  I wasn't expecting it to include the Summer Carnival 93' as the second disc so that was a nice surprise.  Same with the repro of Dungeon Master that came with the set.  I will say, the quality here on everything is top notch.  I've always been impressed with the quality that PCEWorks put out and it shines with everything I've ever purchased from them.

Can someone explain the whole Steam Hearts story line to me?  Wasn't expecting the story board artwork to be so.....um......yeah.....

Gredler

Medic_wheat

Hey you got the same fate stay vita game I did yesterday. Cool. I got it because it seemed like a fun dynasty warriors clone and seems to work on the ps tv.

I really just need to mod the extra ps tv I have with that software which allows you to play 90% of vita games on it.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Bloufo

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2017, 09:47 AMCan you map "Y" to "B" and "B to "A" for use on the NES Classic? Otherwise I would find this controller to be a whole lot of awkward when trying to play games where you want to use quick button presses between B and A  or holding down the B button while hitting the A button (example: Mario run/jump).
You can, there is a remapping tool. You need to make sure you've updated the firmware as well. If not, the remapping won't be saved after turning off the controller.

NightWolve

Quote from: Flare65 on 01/22/2017, 03:43 PMIMG

I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Nexr for a while, but whenever I see one, the price is $180 and up usually....if you do find one less than that, its in very piss poor shape.  When PCEWorks announced this new set, I jumped on it.  I wasn't expecting it to include the Summer Carnival 93' as the second disc so that was a nice surprise.
Good ole Tobiass, didn't know he went for Summer Carnival '93. I own an original I got used from a gaming mag. It's a nice shooter with decent CD soundtrack, though I think it's a bit too short.

bartre

Quote from: Gredler on 01/22/2017, 03:56 PMIMG
I think that horse has been beaten to death and back.

back on topic -
I picked up Street Fighter III Third Strike via the PSN flash sale.
makes me happy :)

munchiaz

NecroPhile

Quote from: Flare65 on 01/22/2017, 03:43 PMCan someone explain the whole Steam Hearts story line to me?  Wasn't expecting the story board artwork to be so.....um......yeah..... 
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19100

PS - Fuck Tobias and fuck the people that jerk off all over themselves about how great he is.

Gypsy

My first 3DS arrived today. N3DS the black friday Mario model. Guy I bought it from wasn't really playing it (didn't even open the charger he bought for it) and is good people so he sold it to me for his cost (plus shipping) despite knowing the Ebay value. I'mma fire up DQVII tonight.  :)

Flare65

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2017, 11:27 AM
Quote from: Flare65 on 01/22/2017, 03:43 PMCan someone explain the whole Steam Hearts story line to me?  Wasn't expecting the story board artwork to be so.....um......yeah..... 
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19100

PS - Fuck Tobias and fuck the people that jerk off all over themselves about how great he is.
I won't get into the ethical debate on if he should or shouldn't make the repros, but I don't think anyone can deny the quality of what he produces.

CatPix

Not exactly today, but quite recently, still trying to convert games to sound wave format... :mrgreen:

https://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/20050-elektronika-bk-et-alim/
IMG