10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The Cigar Smoker's Thread / The Spam Thread

Started by Keranu, 07/18/2008, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keranu

Hello.

Any other cigar aficionados here? I know Murder Date is one since we like to send PMs about stogies we've smoked.

I smoke about one cigar per month and it's always nice to light up a nice, premium cigar outside and enjoy the scenary. I'd still consider myself an amateur aficianado, but I think I'm on my way to becomming a full one soon. I love Romeo y Julietas, but I'm always exploring different brands and types.

Last cigar I smoked was a Punch after dinner cigar, which was a very nice smoke. Had a great taste and the taste was pretty consistent throughout the whole session. Burned nicely, but I didn't get as long of an ash as I had hoped. Was only like $4.75 and well worth it.

Cigar smokers only please.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

Okay spam is acceptable this time around.  8)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

Wait... did this thread get... moderated?  Moderated by Mr. "I don't believe in moderation ever!  I'd rather shoot myself in the face than moderate anything!"????

The times, they are a-changin'!

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/19/2008, 12:42 AMWait... did this thread get... moderated?  Moderated by Mr. "I don't believe in moderation ever!  I'd rather shoot myself in the face than moderate anything!"????

The times, they are a-changin'!
I still don't believe in big moderation. It was a good example of how much it sucks to follow "proper" forum rules. ;)

Anyways looks like cigar discussion on PCEFX is non-existent aside from Murder Date and I. Was just hoping there were fellow aficianado here that also happened to be Turbo nerds.
IMG

TurboXray

This is a great thread. I'd love to get into cigar smoking some time. Totally different than smoking cigarettes - which I don't.

atr3yu

I like to take the tobacco out and roll them myself :lol:  :-"  :-$

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/20/2008, 12:59 AMThis is a great thread. I'd love to get into cigar smoking some time. Totally different than smoking cigarettes - which I don't.
Cigars are great, very manly enjoyment. If you have any smoke shops around, check one out and see if they have an enclosed cigar room. Keep in mind though that there is a lot of "professional" advice in the cigar aficionado. In this case, don't be afraid to buy some cheap factory cigar for "practice."

Anyways, here are some things you'll want to know in terms of how to buy and smoke a cigar:

A good premium cigar will cost around $5 at least (for a single one). There are a ton of different kind of cigars, so take a look around at all the boxes with pretty Hispanic artwork and find one that looks appealing to you for a starter. Remember that cigars will take a long time to smoke, so if you don't plan on spending an hour or more smoking one, then try to find a smaller size. I don't think there is a whole lot you can do to pre-determine if a cigar will be good, but obviously if it's hard and dry, it's not going to be good. You might also want to stick with mild cigars at first, which usually have a lighter wrapper, and then later try darker, bolder ones.

A cigar cutter is practically a must. Sure you might be able to get away with a sharp knife, or your teeth if you absolutely must, but buying just a typical cigar cutter will give you much better quality and convience. I just bought a cheap one at the tobacco shop I usually go to and I think it was maybe $2-3.

Not only is a cutter important, but so is a lighter. Aficionados will shun the idea of using a standard gas station Bic lighter, and while I don't think those are totally bad thing to use, it's best to use other methods. The typical cheap Bic lighter gives off a fume when struck, which can effect the taste of your cigar, so you're going to want a lighter that gives off as least scent as possible and preferably burns hotter. Those super hot "jet" lighters are great if you can find them, but if you can't, look for a quality butane lighter that doesn't give off any smoke when lighting. Some cigar smokers are not keen on the idea of using Zippo lighters either as the wicks in them can also give off some foul scents, but I've never tried it myself. As far as matches are concerned, use wood matches, because like unproper lighters, paper matches also give off bad scents.

When cutting the cigar end (the rounded part that you'll be placing on your lips), you'll only want to cut a little off. It's kind of hard to explain in text, but you'll want to cut so a little bit of the roundness is present so that it leaves a tight end to smoke out of, but you don't want to cut it too short or else it will be too tight and you would get as much smoke and flavor. You also don't want to cut too far ahead or else it can unravel the wrapping a bit and it can get bits of tobacco in your mouth. Just carefully align it and give it a smooth clip. A lot of cigar smokers, myself especially, prefer to "wet" the end before clipping by rotating the cigar in your mouth. Not necessary, but it's fun :) .

The lighting process is definitely the biggest learning curve. You should be able to find a bunch of links on Google explaining how and I'll post some good YouTube links below. Some things to keep in mind are to never let the flame actually touch the cigar when lighting (don't worry if you accidently do), "toast" the foot before the actual puff and light process, rotate the cigar and flame to make sure the cigar is evenly lit (this is the hardest part because it's easy to unevenly light one and you'll regret it), and most importantly, to take your time.

And my last advice is to do what you feel comfortable with. There are many different aspects on choosing, lighting, and smoking cigars, so do what you like best because it's about you enjoying the cigar.

Here is my favorite cigar lighting tutorial on YouTube that I watched many times for practice -
Here is another great video that's a clip from a great cigar documentary on YouTube -
And here are the links to the mentioned short documentary -
And here's a super relaxing video of an awesome old dude smoking and talking about cigars and pipes -
Quote from: atr3yuI like to take the tobacco out and roll them myself
Do you buy the Phillies Blunts?  :mrgreen:
IMG

atr3yu

Quote from: atr3yuI like to take the tobacco out and roll them myself
Do you buy the Phillies Blunts?  :mrgreen:[/quote]
Nope but close Swisher sweets cigarellos. Blunts way to big!!

Keranu

This forum sure likes their Swishers! I think a Swisher might've been my first cigar ever back before I got into them. but haven't had one since.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I remember showing a movie directed by David Lynch at a film festival where some dude smokes Swishers and drives a lawnmower as his main mode of transportation.  I showed it for David himself.  Keranu this would be your favorite movie evar.

Keranu why don't you smoke pot?  All of the cool kids these days are doing it.  You cannot have a good time without it.  Keranu, if you want to be cool you need to smoke MJ.  Some kids call it 420 but those kids are even cooler and it is kind of hard to ascend to that level of coolness.  Cigars are for old people.  Pot is for the cool kids.  Are you cool, Keranoo?

Keranu

That sounds like an awesome movie, what's it called? Would be my favorite movie ever if they weren't Swishers. Reminds me of this other movie where this old dude drives to another state on a lawnmower to see his brother and packed a bunch of cold hot dogs.

I am an old man, I can't be cool. Just leave me to my Turbo Grafx and stogies.
IMG

Seldane

It's called THE STRAIGHT STORY and both of you are talking about the exact same movie.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Rainbow_Bright

Thats a great film! :) My bro bought my a cigar for my last birthday, it smelled nice.. I didn't smoke much of it.

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 07/20/2008, 08:04 AMIt's called THE STRAIGHT STORY and both of you are talking about the exact same movie.
Hah I looked it up and it is! I couldn't remember the Swishers in it, but I did enjoy that movie a lot.
IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/18/2008, 04:49 PMHello.

Any other cigar aficionados here? I know Murder Date is one since we like to send PMs about stogies we've smoked.

I smoke about one cigar per month and it's always nice to light up a nice, premium cigar outside and enjoy the scenary. I'd still consider myself an amateur aficianado, but I think I'm on my way to becomming a full one soon. I love Romeo y Julietas, but I'm always exploring different brands and types.

Last cigar I smoked was a Punch after dinner cigar, which was a very nice smoke. Had a great taste and the taste was pretty consistent throughout the whole session. Burned nicely, but I didn't get as long of an ash as I had hoped. Was only like $4.75 and well worth it.

I didn't realize there was any other cigar smokers here. I have been smoking cigars for over 20 years. Started with the Phillies and White Owls and moved on to hand-made premium cigars. I usually smoke 1 per day. I prefer the stronger stuff but I'm not opposed to a milder smoke in the morning.

Keranu, I like the Punch After Dinners too, they are a very good smoke. If you like them, you could also try the JR Ultimates from JR Cigars, they are made in the same factory and are very good.

What other cigars do you like?

Keranu

Quote from: Peluso8 on 07/20/2008, 12:31 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 07/18/2008, 04:49 PMHello.

I didn't realize there was any other cigar smokers here. I have been smoking cigars for over 20 years. Started with the Phillies and White Owls and moved on to hand-made premium cigars. I usually smoke 1 per day. I prefer the stronger stuff but I'm not opposed to a milder smoke in the morning.

Keranu, I like the Punch After Dinners too, they are a very good smoke. If you like them, you could also try the JR Ultimates from JR Cigars, they are made in the same factory and are very good.

What other cigars do you like?
Finally another real cigar smoker! Thanks for posting, it's a delight!

I have not had any JR Cigars, but I have been meaning to try some American cigars since I have really only stuck with Latin American brands. I'll definitely keep my eye out for that one next time I'm shopping. Do you have any other non-Latin cigars that you might recommend?

I think the first hand rolled cigar I smoked was a La Gloria Cubana, which I enjoyed very much and should try more of their stuff. I haven't smoked many other brands besides the ones I've mentioned in this thread, but the Romeos, Punches, and Gloria Cubanas have definitely been most enjoyable.

One cigar I was really dissatisfied with was a Macanudo (Prince Phillip maybe?) I bought for $10. Came packaged in a nice glass bottle and filter and was the most I had ever paid for a cigar. I found the usual $5 cigar to taste better and this cigar just wouldn't burn well at all, I had to relight it like three times. I also bought a Partagas torpedo a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it (I've found that I'm not much into torpedo shaped cigars, I can't suck in the flavor as well).

Look forward to more cigar discussion. Too bad we can't all enjoy a fine cigar and talk at the same time.
IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 10:27 PMI have not had any JR Cigars, but I have been meaning to try some American cigars since I have really only stuck with Latin American brands. I'll definitely keep my eye out for that one next time I'm shopping. Do you have any other non-Latin cigars that you might recommend?
Actually, the JR Ultimate is a latin cigar, its made in Honduras. 99% of the worlds cigars are made in latin countries, Nicaragua, Dominican Rep, Honduras and of course, Cuba. :) There are some cigars rolled in Miami and other places but the tobacco is mostly grown in latin countries. There are exceptions like the Cameroon wrapper is grown in Africa and the Connecticut Shade wrapper is grown in Connecticut. :)

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 10:27 PMI think the first hand rolled cigar I smoked was a La Gloria Cubana, which I enjoyed very much and should try more of their stuff. I haven't smoked many other brands besides the ones I've mentioned in this thread, but the Romeos, Punches, and Gloria Cubanas have definitely been most enjoyable.

One cigar I was really dissatisfied with was a Macanudo (Prince Phillip maybe?) I bought for $10. Came packaged in a nice glass bottle and filter and was the most I had ever paid for a cigar. I found the usual $5 cigar to taste better and this cigar just wouldn't burn well at all, I had to relight it like three times. 
Macanudos are very mild cigars so the flavor is going to be very light.

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 10:27 PMI also bought a Partagas torpedo a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it (I've found that I'm not much into torpedo shaped cigars, I can't suck in the flavor as well).
How much did you cut off the end? Usually with Torpedoes I cut off quite a bit or else its too hard to draw smoke out of 'em.

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 10:27 PMLook forward to more cigar discussion.
Me too. As you can probably tell, its a favorite topic of mine :lol:

Keranu

Quote from: Peluso8 on 07/21/2008, 10:51 PMActually, the JR Ultimate is a latin cigar, its made in Honduras. 99% of the worlds cigars are made in latin countries, Nicaragua, Dominican Rep, Honduras and of course, Cuba. :) There are some cigars rolled in Miami and other places but the tobacco is mostly grown in latin countries. There are exceptions like the Cameroon wrapper is grown in Africa and the Connecticut Shade wrapper is grown in Connecticut. :)
Very interesting. I briefly checked up on JR cigars the other day on Wikipedia and it mentioned that they are one of the largest wholesalers in USA; I must've mixed things up. Of course cigars are just another reason why Latin America is so awesome 8) . Have you ever had an authentic Cuban cigar?

Quote from: PelusoHow much did you cut off the end? Usually with Torpedoes I cut off quite a bit or else its too hard to draw smoke out of 'em.
Hmm, maybe about a centimeter. I'll cut more next time I had one because I did have to put some more suction into them. I do kinda like the way they draw in the smoke though, seems like it could really bring in the flavor if I cut more off. Speaking of cutting though, I've always stuck with the standard straight guillotine cut. What are your thoughts on the other types of cuts like the v-cut cut and the "pinhole" (this doesn't sound too good).

Quote from: Peluso
Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 10:27 PMLook forward to more cigar discussion.
Me too. As you can probably tell, its a favorite topic of mine :lol:
Cigars always bring out the best of conversations. ;) Nothing better than enjoying a good cigar with another person(s) and engaging in deep discussions.
IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 11:20 PMVery interesting. I briefly checked up on JR cigars the other day on Wikipedia and it mentioned that they are one of the largest wholesalers in USA; I must've mixed things up.
JRs is a chain of stores, they have 2 stores here in Jersey so they are my main retailer.

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 11:20 PM. Have you ever had an authentic Cuban cigar?
A few. I wish they would lift that damn embargo so I could get more. :lol:

Quote from: Keranu on 07/21/2008, 11:20 PMHmm, maybe about a centimeter. I'll cut more next time I had one because I did have to put some more suction into them. I do kinda like the way they draw in the smoke though, seems like it could really bring in the flavor if I cut more off. Speaking of cutting though, I've always stuck with the standard straight guillotine cut. What are your thoughts on the other types of cuts like the v-cut cut and the "pinhole" (this doesn't sound too good).
The V-Cutter and the punch work, but I would stick with the guillotine, since it works for you.

kid_rondeau

I don't know if I smoke enough cigars to be considered a regular smoker of them, but I would estimate I smoke 5-6 cigars a year. And when I do, I really enjoy it!

Some of my favorites are (in no particular order of quality):

-Hoyo de Monterrey
-Ashton
-Don Tomas
-Cohiba
-Rum Runners (every so often, because of the sweet rum smell and the cool skull n' bones label...AARRRGGGHHH!!)

When I used to live in New Hampshire I would often frequent "Cigars, Etc." in Plaistow. A small shop, nice owner, good selection, a place to sit down and smoke and watch CNN, and a dish of complimentary mints for when you're done.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 07/22/2008, 07:24 AMI don't know if I smoke enough cigars to be considered a regular smoker of them, but I would estimate I smoke 5-6 cigars a year. And when I do, I really enjoy it!

Some of my favorites are (in no particular order of quality):

-Hoyo de Monterrey
-Ashton
-Don Tomas
-Cohiba
-Rum Runners (every so often, because of the sweet rum smell and the cool skull n' bones label...AARRRGGGHHH!!)

When I used to live in New Hampshire I would often frequent "Cigars, Etc." in Plaistow. A small shop, nice owner, good selection, a place to sit down and smoke and watch CNN, and a dish of complimentary mints for when you're done.
Sounds nice....except for the CNN part.  :P
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

kid_rondeau

Yeah, if you didn't feel like watching the news, then you'd be outta luck. Jimmy, the owner, doesn't have it on very loud, but I bet he'd let me change it if I asked him.

That's it...next time I'm up there, I'll do just that.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 07/22/2008, 12:56 PMYeah, if you didn't feel like watching the news, then you'd be outta luck. Jimmy, the owner, doesn't have it on very loud, but I bet he'd let me change it if I asked him.

That's it...next time I'm up there, I'll do just that.
I'm a news junkie, so I'm guilty of watching CNN. I prefer CBC Newsworld, but sometimes I just need that American flavOR.  :wink:
IMG

Keranu

BIG thanks goes to Peluso for sending me some cigars! I smoked the first one of the lot tonight and will be reviewing all of them as the week goes on.

I started with the La Floridita, which I had never heard of before and Peluso informed me of it's Costa Rica background and how they're no longer available. This along with the fact that he had been aging the cigar for nearly seven years made me very interested in this one. What briefly started off with skepticism ended with amazement.

First thing to notice was that this cigar was a pretty sight. I don't know the measurements, but 'twas fairly long and had a superb ring gauge that would prove to have a huge delightment towards the last moments with the cigar. The smell and taste of the cigar at first was very different and unique to other cigars I have had. I was a little unsure of this flavor at first, which almost reminded me of a dried tomato with a slight spice, but only a short while after lighting, my liking to the flavor became well acquainted.

Now what really blew me away with this cigar was the last portions of it. Unlike a lot of cigars where they become more bitter at the end (I always like to describe that taste as a soft pretzle :P), this one had a phenomenal taste during it's last few inches. Thanks to the thicker ring guage, the cigar fit nicely between my teeth and as I sat back looking at the night sky with a nice breeze of wind blowing on me, a surge of cool flavor would dance around my tongue during each handless puff. The sensation was orgasmic and can't be explained with words; never have I had a cigar with such a wonderful ending.

So overall, I enjoyed the La Floridita very much. The overall taste of this cigar wasn't my favorite, but the ending I described really sold to me. If I ever come across one of these again, I'll gladly pick one up (and I'm very thankful for Pelsuo sharing this with me!). Oh and this cigar seemed to take me a long time to smoke too, over an hour and a half as far as I can tell.
IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/26/2008, 04:34 AMBIG thanks goes to Peluso for sending me some cigars! I smoked the first one of the lot tonight and will be reviewing all of them as the week goes on.

I started with the La Floridita, which I had never heard of before and Peluso informed me of it's Costa Rica background and how they're no longer available. This along with the fact that he had been aging the cigar for nearly seven years made me very interested in this one. What briefly started off with skepticism ended with amazement.

First thing to notice was that this cigar was a pretty sight. I don't know the measurements, but 'twas fairly long and had a superb ring gauge that would prove to have a huge delightment towards the last moments with the cigar. The smell and taste of the cigar at first was very different and unique to other cigars I have had. I was a little unsure of this flavor at first, which almost reminded me of a dried tomato with a slight spice, but only a short while after lighting, my liking to the flavor became well acquainted.

Now what really blew me away with this cigar was the last portions of it. Unlike a lot of cigars where they become more bitter at the end (I always like to describe that taste as a soft pretzle :P), this one had a phenomenal taste during it's last few inches. Thanks to the thicker ring guage, the cigar fit nicely between my teeth and as I sat back looking at the night sky with a nice breeze of wind blowing on me, a surge of cool flavor would dance around my tongue during each handless puff. The sensation was orgasmic and can't be explained with words; never have I had a cigar with such a wonderful ending.

So overall, I enjoyed the La Floridita very much. The overall taste of this cigar wasn't my favorite, but the ending I described really sold to me. If I ever come across one of these again, I'll gladly pick one up (and I'm very thankful for Pelsuo sharing this with me!). Oh and this cigar seemed to take me a long time to smoke too, over an hour and a half as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the review, I'm glad you liked it. :)

MurderDate

Hello boys !

Punches and Acids are great for beginners.   Keranu -  you know I've maybe smoked 10 cigars my whole life - you are thee man - not me.  I actually had to all-but quit when I started working out -  got tired of clearing my throat and coughing repeatedly on the ol' elliptical!   Yes, I'm a sell out.    Sometimes when it's a nice sunny day out I do miss it though - especially if I've got a good magazine or something to flip through.  STILL thumbing through those old Fangorias I found a couple of months ago!

I know I haven't been on the board for months !!   I got stuck watching spaghetti westerns - it's all I do !  Tons of tough ass cool guys smoking cigars in those movies btw.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Keranu

Hey I'd still consider myself an intermediate stogieman too. I think as long as you enjoy them is what counts the most. It's good that you stopped when you started working out though, I can't imagine those two things going together. But making time for a nice stogie on rare special occasions might be nice :) .

Cigars in movies are awesome, I came across a website the other day that lists cigar appreances in movies actually - http://www.cigarsinmovies.com/ . The two latest movies I've watched, Career Opportunities and Dutch (Murder Date, weren't you refreshing my memory about this movie on these forums!?), both made in 1991 and written by John Hughes ironically enough, featured cigars, though mostly cheap factory cigars from what I could tell.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Keranu, do you outright refuse to watch movies that don't have a cigar in it?  You should.

Also, is Bill Clinton your favorite president?  Do you approve of his cigar relationship with Monica Lewinsky?

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/27/2008, 02:08 AMKeranu, do you outright refuse to watch movies that don't have a cigar in it?  You should.
Yes. A movie without a cigar in it is simply not worth watching.

Quote from: JoeAlso, is Bill Clinton your favorite president?  Do you approve of his cigar relationship with Monica Lewinsky?
You know I had to look up what you were talking about and that was quite... kinky. But speaking of cigar related presidents, JFK was a snitch for having his aide import a 1,000 Cuban cigars for him the day before the embargo.
IMG

Keranu

H. Upmann No. 40

There isn't a whole lot I can say about this cigar, except that it's a very solid stogie. No complaints; it burns very smoothy, ashes superbly, straight forward flavor, and nicely sized. I would recommend this cigar for beginners because I think it really defines what cigars are like by getting straight into the point. This would make for a good cigar on any occasion and is sure to be enjoyed.

I'll be smoking and reviewing the JR Ultimate Toro tomorrow, which I have been looking very forward to!
IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/27/2008, 03:34 AMI'll be smoking and reviewing the JR Ultimate Toro tomorrow, which I have been looking very forward to!
I smoked one last night. Sat on the patio with a nice cool breeze blowing. It was a great cigar on a perfect night. The JR Ultimate has become my "go-to cigar" and has never let me down.

I look forward to reading your review. :)

Keranu

JR Ultimate Toro

Well I had my review all written and ready to go, but once as I going to hit the post button, the damn power went out :evil: ! Here goes again.

Peluso's post in this thread about this cigar made me interested in it and he kindly sent me a couple. It was a very delicious cigar, though I think I prefered the Punch After Dinner just a little more overall.

The cigar is a beauty to look at. It's long and has a smooth, dark brown wrapper topped with a big colorful band. It lit like a charm and while I had a hard time tasting the flavor with the initial puffs, it soon kicked in. The flavor is medium-full and very enjoyable, with a taste that stands out a little from other cigars and it withdraws and blows out of the mouth wonderfully. The ashing on this stogie was magnificent (I'm a sucker for ashes), keeping very straight and firm with two long ash lines throughout the session. The only downside to this baby was that the end became pretty bitter, but still fun to smoke.

I'm thinking about the Angel 100 next ;) .
IMG

Keranu

Angel 100

This cigar reminded me of the JR Ultimate. About the same size and color and both had a similar taste to me, though I think maybe this was a tad lighter. However the flavor in this cigar was more consistent for me with some of the flavor intact toward the end. but it's hard to decide which one I liked more. Another thing to note was that this cigar gave me a slightly different taste in my mouth afterwards than most cigars, one that was a little more sweet, which was nice for a change. Unfortunately I think this cigar got a little too moist when I placed damp paper towels in the plastic bag as it became softer than the other cigars and the cellophane wrapper was a little wet. As such, I think this resulted in giving me a harder time lighting the cigar, but I was still able to enjoy it and would happily smoke again.
IMG

Seldane

I guess it is time for me to contribute to this thread:

Punch has been one of my preferred brands of cigars for many years. I especially enjoy their Grand Cru line, and the first Grand Cru Robusto that I ever had is one of my five most memorable smokes of all time. However, subsequent purchases of this same cigar over a period of several years did not provide me with the same cool, aromatic, and enjoyable smoke that I experienced the first time. This is still a good cigar, but no longer one of my greatest of all time. The Robusto measures 5 ¼ inches in length with a ring gauge of 50. The cigar is made in Honduras with Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Honduran filler tobacco, and uses a Connecticut shade wrapper leaf.

Flavor
My Grand Cru Robusto was medium in flavor, with nice creamy smoke and a hint of spice. It had a rich taste, and was also very mellow. A balance of moderate strength and flavor makes this cigar a very good choice for both beginners and experienced smokers, alike. The flavor was consistent throughout the cigar, and you will not want to put it down with more than two inches remaining. Note: The flavor of these cigars will improve greatly, and will become really mellow, after aging them in a humidor for at least several months.

Draw and Construction
The cigar was very well made, had an even burn, and did not require any relights. The draw was very easy, providing me with the right amount of smoke with little effort. There were not any issues with the construction of this cigar to prevent its enjoyment.
Value

A single stick can cost up to $6.50 at a local tobacconist, but these cigars are also available online in sampler packs of five for under $22 (sometimes less). The cost per stick is even cheaper when purchased by the box. Because of a most memorable smoking experience with my first Grand Cru, I have not given up trying to duplicate that same level of enjoyment, and I continue to sample an occasional Grand Cru from time to time. Cigar manufacturers make every effort to maintain the consistency of their product, but that is very difficult to accomplish, especially over a number of years. The Punch Grand Cru may not be the great value that I thought it was a few years ago, but it is still a very good cigar at a reasonable price if you can find them in a 5-pack or box for under $4 a stick. However, at $6.50 for a single, I think they are damn overpriced.

Mwahahaha.
IMG

Keranu

IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/29/2008, 03:35 AMAngel 100

This cigar reminded me of the JR Ultimate. About the same size and color and both had a similar taste to me, though I think maybe this was a tad lighter. However the flavor in this cigar was more consistent for me with some of the flavor intact toward the end. but it's hard to decide which one I liked more. Another thing to note was that this cigar gave me a slightly different taste in my mouth afterwards than most cigars, one that was a little more sweet, which was nice for a change. Unfortunately I think this cigar got a little too moist when I placed damp paper towels in the plastic bag as it became softer than the other cigars and the cellophane wrapper was a little wet. As such, I think this resulted in giving me a harder time lighting the cigar, but I was still able to enjoy it and would happily smoke again.
Excellent review. You have very good taste. :lol:

Peluso8

Quote from: Seldane on 07/29/2008, 07:30 PMI guess it is time for me to contribute to this thread:

Punch has been one of my preferred brands of cigars for many years.
Same here. Have you tried the Gran Puros or the Rare Corojos? Both are excellent, although a little stronger than the Gran Cru line.

Keranu

Romeo y Julieta (not sure what kind it was... was it a Bully?)

Romeo y Julieta never fails me. I think I've had this cigar before, but I had no problems resmoking it if I have :mrgreen: ! This is one of those cigars you know you're in a treat for as soon as you light up with the inital puffs blowing out of your mouth. It just has that pure cigar flavor, with maybe a hint of sweetness that feels so good when slowly puffed out. It may look like an ordinary cigar, but it packs a hell of a good session. The withdraw on this stogie is fantastic and the burn is so smooth with no problems at all. Like the H. Upmann cigar I reviewed earlier, this would be a great cigar for beginners as it gets to the point and ends at a good time without dragging on.
IMG

Keranu

So that ends the samples I received from Peluso, thanks so much for the great smokes! I gotta say, I really liked that La Floridita. Are there any other good Costa Rican cigars you would recommend?
IMG

Peluso8

Quote from: Keranu on 07/31/2008, 06:00 AMSo that ends the samples I received from Peluso, thanks so much for the great smokes! I gotta say, I really liked that La Floridita. Are there any other good Costa Rican cigars you would recommend?
I can't think off any off the top of my head. Send your addy again, and I'll send ya a few more of the La Floriditas.

Keranu

Consuegra (?)

Another thanks to Peluso for this one! Appearently the Consuegra cigars are the "duds" that didn't make the cut from other cigar models of the Villazon factories and are thus very inexpensive. Don't let this stray you away, the Consuegra I had was nice. The taste is the highlite of this cigar, which seemed about medium-full with a smooth flavor that almost seemed to mix a little sweet and spice and it remained throughout the entire smoke. The draw was also about perfect to my preference and the smoke was nice and thick. Unfortunately aside from these pros, the wrapper flaked in some parts thus causing some flakey ash and uneven burns around those parts. But for the price, you really can't complain and it's a well worthy smoke. Blows away machine made cigars!
IMG

Keranu

Been awhile since I updated this thread since I smoke less in the colder seasons of the year. Back in August, my brother went to a famous smoke shop in Omaha while he was visiting there and picked me up a few cigars. Unfortunately they were flavored cigars, but like RuninRuder's useless thoughts, you gotta review a goofy dud every once in awhile. The first two cigars I am reviewing were actually smoked in August while the last one was smoked tonight, so my insight might not be entirely accurate, but what does it matter for these cigars anyways.

CAO Eileen's Dream Cigarillo

When I first held this cigarillo in my hand, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to smoke it or eat it. The sweet Irish creme fragrance came rushing out as soon as I opened the little, clover-patterned tin it was packaged in. Sure this would smell great as a cup of coffee, but puffing on something such as this is a different story. The smoke was very quick, maybe 20 minutes at most and in all honesty, it wasn't that bad. Aside from the annoying taste it leaves on your lips, especially if you have big ole lips like me, the actual smoke was better than expected. It's very different from your authentic cigar of course, but it had a standard factory made taste to it that got the job done for a quick smoke.

CAO Eileen's Dream (standard)

This pretty much had the same flavor as the cigarillo, except it was a standard cigar, a bit on the small side. This too came in it's fancy gimmick wrapping with a wooden shell and small green cloth, perfect for those girly-girls to get while accompanying their manly boyfriend to the cigar shop. Overall, this cigar felt a little lighter than the cigarillo and had a decent draw and lasted about a solid hour. Not bad for it's type, I can't imagine preferring many more flavored cigars over this.

Tatiana Rum Flavored

Another cigar trying to look professional by coming in a glass tube and glorifying itself with a rum label. It's a long cigar, about 8 inches, but has a small ring gauge, which I'm personally not a fan of. Speaking of things I'm not a fan of, I'm not a fan of rum or any alcohol flavored cigar. As soon as this cigar tries to rest inbetween your lips, you'll immediately taste the rum flavoring mixed with an overpowered sweetness that results in a truly nasty taste. The taste nearly made me want to puke for the first few minutes, but once the cigar end wettened from my mouth over time, it became less offensive. The smoke itself is just really bland, but luckily it took me under an hour to smoke (maybe because I was rushing it since it was cold outside). Like other factory made cigars I've had (though JR Cigars lists this as handmade, which I simply don't buy), the ash length will barely reach an inch before falling off. Definitely one of the worst cigars I've ever had (the worst would belong to some super dry cigarillo I had once), so avoid this one by all costs. If you have to have a flavored cigar, spend it on a Swisher Sweet or something or maybe even anything.
IMG

Lord Thag

Ok, I had some time on break, and I read through this whole thread earlier today. I've been toying with the idea of picking up cigar smoking at some point. I loathe the smell of cigarettes, but cigars have always smelled just wonderful, ever since I was a kid. I never really gave it a look until I found out that smoking less than three per day (and not inhaling) results in no increased risk of cancer, as per several major tobacco studies. Moderation and all of that.

So Keranu, this is entirely your fault. :D I'm going to be running down to the local tobaccoist, and picking up a couple of fine cigars to try out over the weekend, and heading up to the lake. Point me in the right direction. What's a good one to start with. Bear in mind, in pretty much anything, I generally like strong, spicy flavors, and weak anything is generally bad. I was like that with beer. Hated it for years until I tried a good stout.

Anyway, point me towards a good brand and you'll have another retrogaming cigar afficianado to compare notes with  :lol:
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Keranu

Hey welcome to the club! Glad to see you taking an interest in cigars!. Just so everyone knows, I'm not here to "convert" people to smoking cigars nor do I necessarily recommend people to get into it. But I do highly wish that people not group cigar and cigarette smoking together as one is generally a hobby while the other is generally a habbit.

Cigars are best enjoyed in moderation, in my opinion, Lord; I can't imagine as much pleasure from a cigar if you smoked more than one a day. Just as people like to go on a junk food spree every now and then (and in this country, that's often), some people really enjoy spending time with a fine cigar once in awhile. Too much of anything isn't good for you, so making room to relax with a cigar once a weekend, or whatever time frame you prefer, isn't going to guarantee you a tracheotomy. There are far worse things that the average person can do to their body, like drinking more than one can of sodapop a day like a lot of Americans do (or go through packs of cigarettes a day).

As far as cigar recommendations, I don't think you can go wrong with my favorite brand, Romeo y Julieta. It's got that heavenly cigar flavor that's consistent in all of it's types, solid all around, and very common, making it an ideal choice for beginners. In my H. Upmann No. 40 review, I mentioned how I would recommend that for beginners as it's a great introduction for what makes cigars so great. Stronger cigars (known as maduro) are usually identified by having darker wrappers and are categorized as being stronger if the color is darker. The JR Ultimate Toros and Angel 100s I reviewed in this thread are great, bolder cigars. Keep away from Macunudo though if you don't want anything mild as they are very popular and mild, not to mention they can be pricey!

Please post your thoughts when you're finished with the cigars you buy! I'll likely be buying one next week and as usual I'll log my opinions here. Look up some guides for cutting and lighting cigars before you smoke them; I've posted some reference material here. Once you're out on that lake, simply sit back and enjoy that cigar to accompany your view of life and nature. 8)
IMG

Lord Thag

Thanks, I'll see if the local shop carries those brands. I have no intention of becomeing a chain smoker, and I intend to enjoy a cigar the way I do a fine stout or white russian: Occasionally, on the weekend, sitting somewhere comfortable and having a deep conversation with a friend of mine who loves that kind of thing.

Oh, and that youtube video of the guy talking about cigar's and pipes was great. The point about them instantly lending you credibility is certainly true. I used to know a guy, a friend of my dad's, who was a complete idiot, but EVERYONE listened to him because he had a pipe  :lol:
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Keranu

Quote from: Lord Thag on 10/30/2008, 12:49 PMThanks, I'll see if the local shop carries those brands. I have no intention of becomeing a chain smoker, and I intend to enjoy a cigar the way I do a fine stout or white russian: Occasionally, on the weekend, sitting somewhere comfortable and having a deep conversation with a friend of mine who loves that kind of thing.
That's exactly what cigars are for: casual enjoyment 8) . Chain smoking cigars would ruin the magic and it boggles me how a man like Sigmon Freud could smoke 20 cigars a day.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Keranu on 10/31/2008, 03:57 AM
Quote from: Lord Thag on 10/30/2008, 12:49 PMThanks, I'll see if the local shop carries those brands. I have no intention of becomeing a chain smoker, and I intend to enjoy a cigar the way I do a fine stout or white russian: Occasionally, on the weekend, sitting somewhere comfortable and having a deep conversation with a friend of mine who loves that kind of thing.
That's exactly what cigars are for: casual enjoyment 8) . Chain smoking cigars would ruin the magic and it boggles me how a man like Sigmon Freud could smoke 20 cigars a day.
Yeah, that's unthinkable.  :-& Cigar's are definitely a casual thing.
IMG