Intro and Power Dolls Help

Started by drdre, 08/22/2008, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdre

Hey all, obviously I'm new to the forum, so a little introduction's in order.  My name's Andres, I live in the midwest, and I'm still at university.  More on topic, I'm a huge fan/collector/hoarder of 'classic' games.  Systems I own include a Neo Geo AES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Saturn, 3DO, DC, TurboDuo, FDS and everything in between-including a PC-FX.  This was the first true import system I owned, and remains my favorite.  I only have a few (6) games for the system, and I'm having trouble with one in particular...

Power Dolls FX.  I don't speak or read japanese, not even a little.  However, I've learned through trial and error how to play almost all my import games for my variety of systems.  I've played strategy games before, and I've mostly figured out this one.  I've gotten the customization, the gameplay basics, the menus, how to save, etc.  The one thing I can't figure out, no matter how much I play, is the specific level objectives and how to complete them.  If anyone can provide help, whether a FAQ or even just some advice, it would be much appreciated.  As little or as much information, for the specific level objectives and how to complete that objective, would be great.  I don't need a walkthrough, I don't need hints about fighting or customizing, only the objective for each level.

Sorry I got so long winded.  Thanks everyone!
Arms installation is complete....good luck

MissaFX

Yeah, those objective are the tricky part.  I often have to just move with 2 scouts sweeping the board to find the one place that will give the special menu option.  There were a lot of faqs for this game in the 90s but for some reason they seem to be super hard to find now :-k  I only went through 6 pages of search results though.  At the very worse you could obtain the english PC power dolls and use it to figure out the objectives...neither is really a good answer though.  There have to be surviving faqs though from when this game was out in the US.  I was shocked someone removed the Power Dolls faqs from gamefaqs, but that place has gone downhill a lot over the last 6 years or so, who knows.  I'll reply here though if I do find a Power Dolls faq.  Unlike UFOs though, we do know for a fact Power Dolls faqs exist.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Sensei

Welcome Andres!

Now, maybe I shouldn't be saying anything since I am incredibly busy.  But I might be willing to take a crack at making a walkthrough.

I have the English PC game and the PC-FX version, so if they are indeed similar I might be able to do it.  Assuming I can find some time.

I'll see what I can do.

drdre

Well, thanks for letting me know, I didn't really think of using the PC version.  I had heard of FAQ's existing, but I can't find them either.  Oh well, I'll keep looking.....if anyone finds one, let me know!

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard, drdre.  I don't know if it'll be of much help (it's rather short), but GameFAQs does have a walk through for the PC version.  Best of luck to ye.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MissaFX

Quote from: guest on 08/25/2008, 10:20 AMWelcome aboard, drdre.  I don't know if it'll be of much help (it's rather short), but GameFAQs does have a walk through for the PC version.  Best of luck to ye.
After reading that FAQ, I am really starting to wonder if there is more than one PC version of Power Dolls.  The PC game I played mirriored the FX first two levels exactly, this faq has nothing to do with the PC game I played or the FX game I have.  There was one literal difference in the two Power Dolls from my memory.  In the FX version the level just kinda begins, but on the PC version little planes flew in the mechs and dropped them off at the FX starting location or very close to it.  Same first level though other than the plane or no planes difference.  This faq talks about controlling tanks, planes and trailer trucks too, not mechs.  I am used to only the enemy using these units...or maybe this faq is just really badly written and wrong, but I have to suspect there is more than one Power Dolls game in english which was available in the 90s.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

drdre

yeah, I saw this faq too....and had no idea which game it was for :-k .  Maybe I was reading it wrong, but it didn't seem like the faq corresponded to the PC-FX version/game.

If anyone has played the game before, even a post of like the first and second level objectives would be great.  Thanks again everybody!

MissaFX

Quote from: drdre on 08/25/2008, 12:11 PMyeah, I saw this faq too....and had no idea which game it was for :-k .  Maybe I was reading it wrong, but it didn't seem like the faq corresponded to the PC-FX version/game.

If anyone has played the game before, even a post of like the first and second level objectives would be great.  Thanks again everybody!
First level quick and dirty walkthrough.

Choose 2 of the seeminly useless scout type mechs.
Choose 2 of the mechs that can fight and repair.
Choose 2 Heavy firepower mechs.

Go north and batter through the enemies.  You'll get about half way up the map (there might be roads once you get out of the trees, I cannot remember) and then you will start going west until you come to a dam.  Try to destroy at least one enemy per turn as you "retreat" to the dam with your heavier units.  When your scout units get to the dam, they will have a new option appear in the secondary menu.  This is how you know you are standing on an objective spot.  Have the first scout use their option on the dam.  Then have the other scout use their option on another piece of the dam.  You might have to retreat after doing this or not, I don't remember, but your mechs can cross the water, so once the dam is blown in a spot, it wouldn't stop you from crossing.

I'll have to actually glance at level two to trigger my visual memory of it.  But that pretty much sums up mission one.

drdre

Well, my girlfriend and son left town this weekend, so I was finally able to play some FX  :D

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong for the first level- the objective is to blow up the three green blocks on your map (the dam basically).  Once you get on of your characters on the green square, your special option opens up.  However, I used the special option for the 3 squares, and nothing happened.  Then I did the special option again on all three blocks, and it cleared the level!

Maybe the first time you are placing a bomb, and the second time you set it?  Either way, once you use the special option twice on each square, you clear the level.

Now to figure out the objective of level two (there are no green squares on the map)...........