RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Anyone remember the Electric Brain Fanzine- now with pics

Started by Otaking, 03/31/2009, 07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

Anyone remember Electric Brain? it was a really good Fanzine by a guy called Onn Lee, it had loads of PC-Engine reviews.

Issue 35 Pics:

/dscf0484.jpg
/dscf0494.jpg

/dscf0493.jpg
/dscf0492.jpg

/dscf0491n.jpg
/dscf0490.jpg

/dscf0489.jpg
/dscf0488o.jpg

/dscf0486.jpg
/dscf0485.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 03/31/2009, 07:01 AMAnyone remember Electric Brain? it was a really good Fanzine by a guy called Onn Lee, it had loads of PC-Engine reviews.
Nope. When / where was the fanzine distributed?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 08:24 AM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 03/31/2009, 07:01 AMAnyone remember Electric Brain? it was a really good Fanzine by a guy called Onn Lee, it had loads of PC-Engine reviews.
I've only got three issues which are: issue 33 April 1993, issue 34 may 1993, issue 35 june 1993. I bought them in my local newsagent so it must have had propper distribution, which is very unusual for a Fanzine. I would love to track down the other issues as the issues I've got have got loads of PC-Engine reviews in them.
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 03/31/2009, 11:01 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 08:24 AM
I've only got three issues which are: issue 33 April 1993, issue 34 may 1993, issue 35 june 1993. I bought them in my local newsagent so it must have had propper distribution, which is very unusual for a Fanzine. I would love to track down the other issues as the issues I've got have got loads of PC-Engine reviews in them.
"Newsagent" + the other threads you've created + my slow brain... you're in England :)

You have to scan those Electric Brain issues, or at least scan the covers and a few sample pages!

Any credits listed? Was it a one-man-show or did a bunch of folks produce it?

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:45 AMAny credits listed? Was it a one-man-show or did a bunch of folks produce it?
It was nearly all done by this one guy called Onn Lee but he had a few guest reviewers.
There's a thread about it here: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=33710

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:45 AMYou have to scan those Electric Brain issues, or at least scan the covers and a few sample pages!
unfortunately I've not got a scanner, I'll take some pics of the covers later this evening.

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 03/31/2009, 12:14 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:45 AMAny credits listed? Was it a one-man-show or did a bunch of folks produce it?
It was nearly all done by this one guy called Onn Lee but he had a few guest reviewers.
There's a thread about it here: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=33710

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:45 AMYou have to scan those Electric Brain issues, or at least scan the covers and a few sample pages!
unfortunately I've not got a scanner, I'll take some pics of the covers later this evening.
Read the thread. Any pics you're willing to take would be sweet.

LMS

All this talk of old fanzines has just unearthed a very vague memory in my mind...

a good few years back (probably about 10) I remember there was some guys who were proposing a new (British!) pc engine magazine - a pretty crazy idea around the time as the console was very much old news to most people. I remember sending away a cheque as payment to subscribe me to the first six issues, only to have it returned a few weeks later with quite a rude letter saying that there wasn't enough interest to bother.

does this ring bells with anyone? I might even have kept the original letter, will have a root about later to see anyway. The mag was just three letters I think, PCP maybe?

Otaking

I've been thinking of doing a printed Fanzine, it would heavily feature the PC-Engine/TG-16 but also cover Neo-Geo, Saturn, SFC, Famicom etc..

Otaking

I've updated the first post in the thread with photos from issue 35

LMS

free time pending, I could chip in some design / layout assistance on a fanzine.

check out my (currently hibernating) online/pdf mag here for a taste... http://www.multilinkmagazine.com

Otaking

Quote from: LMS on 03/31/2009, 02:38 PMfree time pending, I could chip in some design / layout assistance on a fanzine.

check out my (currently hibernating) online/pdf mag here for a taste... http://www.multilinkmagazine.com
having enough free time to do it is my main problem too.
Cheers for the link, I'll check it out  8)

esteban

LMS, it would be neat to see if the folks who returned the cheque were still actively involved in any sort of gaming.

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 03/31/2009, 02:33 PMI've updated the first post in the thread with photos from issue 35
Rock on! Thanks for being so swift, I can't wait to read everything.

LMS

Just nudged an old friend I grew up with about this, he lives in Tokyo now but was the only other person I knew of that subscribed. His memory is a lot better than mine too...

"Blimey, that is a blast from the past! Thank you for the reminder, it made me tingle with wonderful memories.

I remember the fanzine clearly. As for the title, I`m sure you are right as I remember it standing for `PCengine People`. I remember issue 0 was A4 in size and of a very high quality all things considered. Someone clearly had access to Daddy`s Apple Mac. Content was PCE game reviews and features on Japanese culture etc. I remember it coming from the South (Devon/Somerset?) also which was somewhat refreshing as most known hardcore PCE fans were always Northern for some reason.

Prior to receiving issue 1 a proper, the readership was asked to complete a questionnaire. I really took my time over it and tried to convey that there was another one out there that knew as much as they did. It backfired as you remember.

The reason they gave for it stopping (before it really started) was not because of lack of interest but lack of like-minded subscribers, they were somehow offended by the opinions within the returned questionnaires. For example, their reaction to the question `What do you value most?` Most kids of course put `My boxed RGB white PC Engine` or `My PC Engine games` etc. They responded on the lines of `How about your family or you eyesight dude?` Another example; What is your favourite PC Engine game?` `Dracula X, Super Star Parody, Don Doko Don, Gomola Speed etc` `How about Bomberman `94 or Word Court Tennis? The PC Engine is about playing games up to 5-players and getting cained dude.`"

Interesting stuff :D

esteban

Quote from: LMS on 03/31/2009, 10:57 PMJust nudged an old friend I grew up with about this, he lives in Tokyo now but was the only other person I knew of that subscribed. His memory is a lot better than mine too...

"Blimey, that is a blast from the past! Thank you for the reminder, it made me tingle with wonderful memories.

I remember the fanzine clearly. As for the title, I`m sure you are right as I remember it standing for `PCengine People`. I remember issue 0 was A4 in size and of a very high quality all things considered. Someone clearly had access to Daddy`s Apple Mac. Content was PCE game reviews and features on Japanese culture etc. I remember it coming from the South (Devon/Somerset?) also which was somewhat refreshing as most known hardcore PCE fans were always Northern for some reason.

Prior to receiving issue 1 a proper, the readership was asked to complete a questionnaire. I really took my time over it and tried to convey that there was another one out there that knew as much as they did. It backfired as you remember.

The reason they gave for it stopping (before it really started) was not because of lack of interest but lack of like-minded subscribers, they were somehow offended by the opinions within the returned questionnaires. For example, their reaction to the question `What do you value most?` Most kids of course put `My boxed RGB white PC Engine` or `My PC Engine games` etc. They responded on the lines of `How about your family or you eyesight dude?` Another example; What is your favourite PC Engine game?` `Dracula X, Super Star Parody, Don Doko Don, Gomola Speed etc` `How about Bomberman `94 or Word Court Tennis? The PC Engine is about playing games up to 5-players and getting cained dude.`"

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this, and thank your friend for sharing with us. I love stuff like this.

:)

PCEngineSales

You know I THINK, and it's an extremely vague recollection because I've written for so many fanzines and magzines since, but I THINK I wrote the Dynastic Hero review for Electric Brain. Was definitely some fanzine along those lines, my first ever published review too so it's possibly crap.

You got a copy of that? Would be interesting to see if it is mine. You are talking the early 90s here and I would've been 18 or so.
https://retro-access.com/ - Modded consoles and SCART cables for retro consoles and computers. We ship worldwide.

Duo_R

man I really want to check this out. Some pics in better light and higher resolution setting?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Otaking

Quote from: Duo_R on 04/06/2009, 08:24 AMman I really want to check this out. Some pics in better light and higher resolution setting?
The images I took photos are readable though, if you click the image thumb, then on Image Shack double click the image and zoom in, the text is readable.
 8)

Otaking

I'm up for doing some more pics if other forum peeps join in and scan or take pics of any PC-Engine/TG-16 articles in Magazines or Fanzines.
 8)

Duo_R

I was going to clean up in photoshop but they really aren't good resolution and have alot of noise. I appreciate the photos, but they are hard to read.

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/06/2009, 04:10 PM
Quote from: Duo_R on 04/06/2009, 08:24 AMman I really want to check this out. Some pics in better light and higher resolution setting?
The images I took photos are readable though, if you click the image thumb, then on Image Shack double click the image and zoom in, the text is readable.
 8)
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/06/2009, 04:14 PMI'm up for doing some more pics if other forum peeps join in and scan or take pics of any PC-Engine/TG-16 articles in Magazines or Fanzines.
 8)
Guess what, my friend. I have a ton of scans on my computer, sitting there for nearly 3 years. I'll match every scan of yours with one of my own :).

I have a few days of vacation coming up (next week), so I think there is actually a chance that I'll follow through.

I ask only that you follow these scanning guidelines.

lkermel

I have many of the first Electric Brain Fanzines, around 20/30 of them I think (It wasn't called EB at first but PC Engine Fanatics  - I've a picture on my Hucard article, bottom of the page - these are the ones I have...). However they are all in storage in France, my native country. I probably have some scans laying around but I won't be able to scan anything for some time I'm afraid (as I live in California right now).
I thing EB was available in the UK, a friend of mine sold them to me when I was working there, 7 or 8 years ago...

Otaking

Quote from: lkermel on 04/08/2009, 01:47 PMI have many of the first Electric Brain Fanzines, around 20/30 of them I think (It wasn't called EB at first but PC Engine Fanatics  - I've a picture on my Hucard article, bottom of the page - these are the ones I have...). However they are all in storage in France, my native country. I probably have some scans laying around but I won't be able to scan anything for some time I'm afraid (as I live in California right now).
I thing EB was available in the UK, a friend of mine sold them to me when I was working there, 7 or 8 years ago...
aha so you're the person behind VG Den, great work, its probably my favorite site for PC Engine reviews.
It would be awesome if you could ever scan those issues of PC Engine Fanatics.

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 04/07/2009, 10:47 PM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/06/2009, 04:14 PMI'm up for doing some more pics if other forum peeps join in and scan or take pics of any PC-Engine/TG-16 articles in Magazines or Fanzines.
 8)
Guess what, my friend. I have a ton of scans on my computer, sitting there for nearly 3 years. I'll match every scan of yours with one of my own :).

I have a few days of vacation coming up (next week), so I think there is actually a chance that I'll follow through.

I ask only that you follow these scanning guidelines.
I currently can't meet those guidelines as I don't have a scanner, the best I can do is like the pics I put up in the first post in this thread.

I think it would be cool if we could get a huge thread going with loads of scanned/Photographed PC-E/TG-16 articles.

lkermel

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/08/2009, 02:42 PMaha so you're the person behind VG Den, great work, its probably my favorite site for PC Engine reviews.
It would be awesome if you could ever scan those issues of PC Engine Fanatics.
Thanks mate :) - VGDen is a lot of work and It'll pass the 500 reviews mark in my coming (soon) update  :dance:

I'll try to dig-out the scans I made a couple of years ago (mainly PCE reviews and covers) - but I won't be able to do complete scans for some time as I'm only travelling back to my native country once a year...

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/08/2009, 02:50 PMI think it would be cool if we could get a huge thread going with loads of scanned/Photographed PC-E/TG-16 articles.
We can do better than that :).

We can simply add to my site, which has a searchable, re-sortable database:

https://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm

Why do all this work without sharing it with everyone, right?

esteban

Quote from: lkermel on 04/08/2009, 04:48 PMI'll try to dig-out the scans I made a couple of years ago (mainly PCE reviews and covers) - but I won't be able to do complete scans for some time as I'm only travelling back to my native country once a year...
Hey! First, I want to say that I received La Bible PC Engine #1 and it really is nice. I am glad to see this project finally come to fruition. Everyone here should consider picking one up, even if you only know a smattering of French.

Second, it would be wonderful to see the scans you have. They could serve as placeholders until better page scans are made :).

lkermel

Quote from: esteban on 04/09/2009, 01:10 PMHey! First, I want to say that I received La Bible PC Engine #1 and it really is nice. I am glad to see this project finally come to fruition.
This was such a looooong project and I'm also glad we finally wrapped it up. The final book is incredible, way beyond my wildest expectations and the whole team has been great. We're now working on Vol#2 which should be (at least) twice the fun  :wink:

Quoteeven if you only know a smattering of French.
I think this is cool, you can learn about the PC Engine and how to speack French in one go ! How good is that ? I don't know that many books out there that can achieve such level of effectiveness :wink:
No more seriously, we've been talking about an English version but many factors need to be considered first. That'd funny 'cause I have the opposite problem - a lot of French people have asked me to translate my web site in French... Ill keep ya posted.

Quote from: esteban on 04/09/2009, 01:10 PMSecond, it would be wonderful to see the scans you have. They could serve as placeholders until better page scans are made :).
I'll try to dig them out this week end... but I've been really busy at work recently, so it may take some time...

M1Savage

Holy cow esteban! When did you update your site? Guess I haven't visited in a while. Looking good!

esteban

Quote from: m1savage on 04/09/2009, 09:01 PMHoly cow esteban! When did you update your site? Guess I haven't visited in a while. Looking good!
Hey m1savage :)

You know, it was only a year ago that I finally updated it. And, truth be told, I wouldn't have done it if the old site hadn't disappeared (my old service provider let the site sit on their servers for almost 2 years before deleting it).

Here's the kicker: all of that work was done and ready to go for... 1-2 years before it went live. If only I had moved back to N.J. sooner....

M1Savage

Maybe I need to move lol. Glad to see it done.

Side note to lkermel - I still enjoy your site a lot!  I think your link to Adventure Island (Hu) may be broken? I noticed it didn't work for me the other day. (firefox)

Keep up the good work guys!

lkermel

Quote from: m1savage on 04/09/2009, 11:38 PMSide note to lkermel - I still enjoy your site a lot!  I think your link to Adventure Island (Hu) may be broken? I noticed it didn't work for me the other day. (firefox)
Thanks a lot :)
This is odd... I just tried Adventure Island and it worked fine... maybe it was just a glitch... lemme know if it is still missing on your side...

M1Savage

Checked it again just now and what it is doing for me is make the menu disappear on the current page. If I right click and open in new window then I get the menu but nothing in the right hand frame. I'm sure someone else here will happen upon this thread and will test it too. Could just be my settings or something but all the other links seem to work ok.

NecroPhile

The link to Adventure Island works for me in Firefox 3.0.8.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JAPJAC

I wrote that. 

He didn`t thank me but I am glad you liked it esteban (at least you have good manners).

Since writing the above I have since remembered that issue 1 was supposed to come with a free PC Engine game!  The fanzine was sponsored by Dream Machines 2/Dreamware so hence this is why it seemed quite possible at the time.  Looking back it was probably more bollox (or loose copies of bin fodder  like Tales of the Monster Path etc). 

The best people to ask about this fanzine then that I know of would be videogameimports aka Dream Machines 2, Dreamware etc.  I doubt that LMS would want to as I think they swindled him regarding some PCE stuff a long time ago (15 years?) if memory serves me.

That is all I can muster I`m afraid.

Cheers.
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

esteban

Quote from: JAPJAC on 04/18/2009, 07:03 AM
Quote from: esteban on 04/05/2009, 09:45 AM
Quote from: LMS on 03/31/2009, 10:57 PMJust nudged an old friend I grew up with about this, he lives in Tokyo now but was the only other person I knew of that subscribed. His memory is a lot better than mine too...

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this, and thank your friend for sharing with us. I love stuff like this.

:)
I wrote that. 

He didn`t thank me but I am glad you liked it esteban (at least you have good manors).

Since writing the above I have since remembered that issue 1 was supposed to come with a free PC Engine game!  The fanzine was sponsored by Dream Machines 2/Dreamware so hence this is why it seemed quite possible at the time.  Looking back it was probably more bollox (or loose copies of bin fodder  like Tales of the Monster Path etc). 

The best people to ask about this fanzine then that I know of would be videogameimports aka Dream Machines 2, Dreamware etc.  I doubt that LMS would want to as I think they swindled him regarding some PCE stuff a long time ago (15 years?) if memory serves me.

That is all I can muster I`m afraid.

Cheers. 
Hey, thanks for stopping by and posting the additional info!

Anyway, this may be a longshot, but are you the same JAPJAC who wrote a positive review of Gomola Speed a few years ago? I ask because I've been working on Gomola Speed -related stuff recently.

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

LMS

Quote from: JAPJAC on 04/18/2009, 07:03 AMHe didn`t thank me but I am glad you liked it esteban (at least you have good manners).
My bad, sorry mate  :oops:

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
sig-bot.jpg