@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Super Deep Blue!

Started by _Paul, 04/19/2009, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

After reading the slow progress on Aaron's Lords of Thunder remake, I decided to raise the stakes for him by creating the ultimate PC Engine remake that will make grown men weep with joy. Two whole days in the making, once you play this, your life will never be the same again.

/sdbforumbanner.jpg

Download it here.

Super Deep Blue Special Stage Moderator Edition

Introduction
------------
It's the moment everyone has been waiting for. One of the best loved and most celebrated PC Engine games of all time now comes to your home PC with all the excitement and non-stop underwater thrills that made the original such a classic.

Starting the Game
-----------------
From the title screen you have two options to begin the game.
If you wish to use joystick control, just press fire for the normal mode.
But everybody knows that real men use the keyboard to play games. That's why there is now a new hard mode, which can be selected by pushing the left Ctrl button. Whereas normal mode allows rapid fire of weapons, hard mode does not, so you'll have to keep bashing away on that key if you want to get the high score.

Gameplay
--------
The gameplay of the original Deep Blue has been taken and refined as much as is possible with today's technology. The original game just 'seemed' to go on and on forever with no end. Now, this flaw has been resolved and Super Deep Blue now DOES go on forever. The number of enemy types has been greatly streamlined for this version, meaning faster recognition and a more satisfying gameplay experience.

Power-Up Weapons
----------------
If you have mega skills, you might find that destroyed enemies will release 'power bubbles'. Collect a 'power bubble' and you will gain one of three amazing new weapon systems.

Redifer - Harness the power of the ninja to destroy all who stand before you.
Keranu - Dispatch your foes with squads of powerful muscle-men who will wrestle them to the ground.
Nat - Release the imprisoned foes that tried to conquer Fantasy Land with this devastating attack.

These special weapons will not last long so use them wisely.

Health Warning
--------------
If at any time you experience eye strain or hand cramps after prolonged periods of play, you are just weak and should go and play a girls game instead.

Arjak

LMAO! sunteam_paul, you have created the greatest...THING I've ever seen on this forum!

So, who wants to try to beat my high score of 1,132 points? :twisted:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

_Paul

Eat that beatch.

Arkhan Asylum

Classic :)

Game maker is a fun toy.

wheres netplay!? >_O
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

I haven't played it yet, but clearly this is awesome :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 04/19/2009, 08:05 PMI haven't played it yet, but clearly this is awesome :)
Indeed.  Downloading now.  :D
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

I just aced my high score, so now it stands at 1931.  :D

jperryss

I hit like 2200-something last night.  My goal is to hit 3K, I'll get a snapshot if I do. :D

_Paul

Quote from: jperryss on 04/20/2009, 12:38 PMI hit like 2200-something last night.  My goal is to hit 3K, I'll get a snapshot if I do. :D
I just got 2713 and my thumb now aches! Not quite the 3k mark but getting there slowly.

I've been wondering what to do next in Game Maker. I remember seeing a hack someone did that put Thunder Force 2 sprites into Gate of Thunder, maybe a proper mix of the two games would be interesting.

Ceti Alpha

haha Awesome! I'll try this out when I get home. Now, where the hell is nat? Oh, I know - playing his heart out on this game. lol  :mrgreen:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Got up to 2102 last night.  Die fishies, die!

_Paul

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/23/2009, 01:19 PMGot up to 2102 last night.  Die fishies, die!
I'll give you a little gameplay hint here...the special weapons are not timed, but they run out after a certain number of shots fired. So sometimes it can be an advantage to hold back a second or two before letting it rip (especially if it's a Nat, as that's a pretty destructive one).

NecroPhile

Thanks for the tip.  Now my goal is to hit 3000 or at least 2714.  :twisted:

_Paul

Muhahaha 3110!

/3110bitches.jpg

A rough start with some Keranus (really not very good) but I made it up with deft dodging and a few Nats in a row!

nat

I have to admit I still haven't tried this. Mainly because I use a Mac, and this is a Windows program. One of these days when I'm using the Windows partition for something (which is really only like once a month) I'll give it a try.

_Paul

Quote from: nat on 04/23/2009, 06:03 PMI have to admit I still haven't tried this. Mainly because I use a Mac, and this is a Windows program. One of these days when I'm using the Windows partition for something (which is really only like once a month) I'll give it a try.
Here's a couple of screenshots to whet your appetite  :P

/sdb1r.jpg

/sdb2.jpg

Turbo D

Mac is really handicapped in the sense that it can't run as wide of a variety of programs as windows. :| Cool game though, haha. I enjoyed it very much; I even got my family members to give it a shot! 8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

_Paul

My Gate of Thunder/Thunder Force idea is beginning to take shape although still in a very, very primary phase. 3 working weapons, successfull parallax scrolling test and one enemy. Had a bit of a problem with infinite invincibility but hopefully that's fixed now.

/gotf.jpg

Ultra Luigi

Here's my highest score.

IMG

Both Redifer and Nat are great for racking up points but Keranu... kind of sucks. Sorry Keranu lol. My favorite out of the three is definitely Nat. Covers wide range, and large bullets. Top tier gun!

Nice game. :)

_Paul

Arrr, a mountain to climb to beat that one...but I'm getting slowly better and better.

NecroPhile

_Paul

Bah, I don't think I'll EVER beat that.

PCEngineFX

Ok I'm late to the party...but man this is great!  Guess I should dust off the old LoT port then...
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

esteban

Dammit, I still haven't played this! I gotta resurrect an old laptop or something...

_Paul

Has anyone got the old install exe of this lying around? I think I might have lost it in my HD crash a while back.

Arjak

I'm pretty sure that I do. I'll try to email it to you when I get home later today.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

_Paul

Mishran

If located, are you planning on making it publicly available again, Paul? It's previous availability was before my time here on the board, but I wouldn't mind trying it out. Thanks in advance.

roflmao

Quote from: Mishran on 06/11/2012, 04:46 PMIf located, are you planning on making it publicly available again, Paul? It's previous availability was before my time here on the board, but I wouldn't mind trying it out. Thanks in advance.
Same goes here.  Looks like fun!

_Paul

_Paul

roflmao

Thanks!  Downloading now.

esteban

Anecdote Approaching!

NO ONE CARES BUT ME: So, I wanted to play Super Deep Blue again (in light of the raffles), but, alas, my PC desktop died not too long ago and has not been willing to be revived.

IMG

_Paul

Maybe I'll put it on Xbox.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 08/30/2012, 12:19 PMMaybe I'll put it on Xbox.
Fuck that.  There are more people on this forum who will play it than on that stupid disaster! 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

On the original Xbox.

Retro, bitch.

Arkhan Asylum

OMGRETR0B0xxxxxxxxxxxxxfhruhgyhj

Call it deep green and make it black/green themed.

Itll sell

Opethian

make it  clown fish and call it SHooting Nemo youll be rich before Disney sues
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

put it on XBL.  ;)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Quote from: Opethian on 12/15/2012, 07:44 AMmake it  clown fish and call it SHooting Nemo youll be rich before Disney sues
^^^ I like this idea.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II