RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Why wasn't SF II ported..

Started by Tatsujin, 07/25/2009, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

..in fullscreen for the all the 16-bitter?

you actually can see it on every port of street fighter II on any 16 bit platform like SFC, PCE, MD, the black bars above und below.

but why is it so? what was the reason for the horizontal cuts?

the PAL version was even a step worse, since it had the standard 100 black lines from NTSC to PAL, added to the original black bars, which cutted off almost 1/3 of the screen  :lol: that was nooo fun.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

I think its to give it a wide screen effect!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Grandmaster

perhaps it was a way for capcom to fit the game on those home systems, saving the game's overall integrity from the arcade version.

omotai

Capcom arcade games ran at a funky resolution, and they ported them like that instead of cutting off part of the screen or squishing it into TV aspect ratio.

Tatsujin

but non of 'em were straight conversions, all of em were redrawn. so i don't see the point of make 'em smaller than necessary?

SuperDeadite

Well they were all based off of World Warrior on SFC right?  So they probably did it for some reason on SFC, and then just stayed lazy for the ports.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Joe Redifer

The arcade ran at the same aspect ratio as home game systems:  4:3.  The resolution was odd, but there was no need to letterbox it. Capcom never really put a lot of effort into home games except for the NES, I feel.

majors

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/27/2009, 03:09 AMThe arcade ran at the same aspect ratio as home game systems:  4:3.  The resolution was odd, but there was no need to letterbox it.
The arcade may run on 4:3 monitor but it has bars also. The arcade owner may have adjusted the virt to expand the screen. I know CPS2 resolutions are not 4:3 (384x224), dunno about CPS1 of the top of my head.

It may have effected game mechanics if the screen was a different aspect/size so they "ported" it to be the same.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

OldRover

Quote from: majors on 07/27/2009, 08:03 PMIt may have effected game mechanics if the screen was a different aspect/size so they "ported" it to be the same.
I remember from playing SFII on the SNES that the letterboxing actually DID change the game mechanics...it was most noticeable in Vega's stage.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

sure it does, but only in a bad way! N0 LB 4TW!

CrackTiger

Quote from: majors on 07/27/2009, 08:03 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/27/2009, 03:09 AMThe arcade ran at the same aspect ratio as home game systems:  4:3.  The resolution was odd, but there was no need to letterbox it.
The arcade may run on 4:3 monitor but it has bars also. The arcade owner may have adjusted the virt to expand the screen. I know CPS2 resolutions are not 4:3 (384x224), dunno about CPS1 of the top of my head.

It may have effected game mechanics if the screen was a different aspect/size so they "ported" it to be the same.
All that I can think of is that you're assuming that games back then were meant to be stretched proportionately until the longer dimension touches the edges of the screen. It wasn't arcade operators fooling around with monitors, video signals were meant to fill screens and that's why everything looks so disproportionately wide in raw cps2 screen shots. Unless you see black bars in the screen shots, the game wasn't mean to have them.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!