OK enough of the weird name...is it Bunilla or Vanilla?

Started by OldRover, 11/10/2009, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Regarding this mahjong game for the PCE...the original name is Vanilla Syndrome. However, I quite often see the PCE version labeled as "Bunilla" instead. Which is right?
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NecroPhile

The Brothers Duomazov, the PC Engine Software Bible, KLOV, PCE Daisakusen!, and the PC Engine Catalog Project all have it as 'vanilla', so I'd take their collective word for its correct name.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Tatsujin

i guess "Bunilla" must come from some uneducated japanese translaters. alltough i've never heard that before :-k
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ccovell

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/10/2009, 11:35 AMi guess "Bunilla" must come from some uneducated japanese translaters. alltough i've never heard that before :-k
Even educated people make spelling mistakes, but yeah, Japanese is a repeat offender about getting spelling wrong.

SignOfZeta

IIRC the cover has a "bunny" girl on it, maybe the confusion comes from that? I can't remember (if I ever knew) exactly why it was called Vanilla Syndrome, but somehow I knew it was.

I traded that POS off at least 10 years ago, so my memories are vague.

And yes, you have to forgive translators. Even pros make mistakes (Linkle Liver Story) and you really have to have a good imagination and some problem solving skills to figure out WTF an English word is supposed to be after its been written in kana. Like trying to recognize a pig after its been made into a hot dog. If the loan word is French or German (as they often are) then I'm completely screwed. Also, many times with ota stuff the "word" is just a made up string of kana anyway, and there is no translation. (See: Mobile Suit Gundam).
IMG

termis

I also vote for "Vanilla".  But I can see why some people transcribed it as "Bunilla".  Check out the cover:

IMG

As in "Bunny"-la. 

Even then, it I reckon it should've been バニーラ (as in バニーガール, not バニラ.

shubibiman

It's a play on words anyway as in kanas, "bunny" and "vani" would be spelled the same way.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

hcf

Although it seems that everything is clear now, I will say one more argument. The Arcade game is also named "Vanilla", so it seems that this is the correct name, not only for the PC Engine. And the Arcade game also has a bunny-girl  :D

I didn't know that there was many people interested in Mahjong games out of Japan!!   :D

OldRover

That's why I wanted to know if the PCE version was named after the original or not. The PCE version is a bit more expansive than the arcade version too; the intro is much more animated, plus has two more bunny girls. :D I love mahjong though I'm not very good at it (yet).
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

hcf

Fantastic! I like Mahjong too  :)

Besides, in my country (Spain) there is a card game named "Chinchon" that has VERY similar rules to Mahjong (a bit simplified, because there are no winds or dragons, and you only must build pairs or groups of three like in Mahjong). I have the hypothesis that this "Chinchon" game was inspired in Mahjong and the name "Chinchon" is in fact inspired in the name "Mahjong", although having "Chinese" sounds. Of course, I have not been able to know if this is true or not  :wink:

Oh, and let me say one more thing: people don't use to get naked when playing Chinchon, hehehe  :mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: hcf on 11/11/2009, 06:54 AMI have the hypothesis that this "Chinchon" game was inspired in Mahjong and the name "Chinchon" is in fact inspired in the name "Mahjong", although having "Chinese" sounds. Of course, I have not been able to know if this is true or not  :wink:
Intriguing. We must decipher the origins of Chinchon!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: ccovell on 11/10/2009, 03:21 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/10/2009, 11:35 AMi guess "Bunilla" must come from some uneducated japanese translaters. alltough i've never heard that before :-k
Even educated people make spelling mistakes, but yeah, Japanese is a repeat offender about getting spelling wrong.
:oops: :P

I'm very unwell educated when it comes to English language :mrgreen: but at least you've got me right :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: hcf on 11/11/2009, 06:54 AMOh, and let me say one more thing: people don't use to get naked when playing Chinchon, hehehe  :mrgreen:
Then why would anyone play?  :)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!