@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

wicked list of PCE games that use the Memory Base 128 MB128, Mouse, & 6 buttons!

Started by VestCunt, 07/06/2005, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VestCunt

After bringing up the question of "what games are Memory Base compatible?" on the "memory base games" thread sometime ago, i finally went through the complete lists of SCD and SCD/ACD games at PCECP and wrote down every game that uses a M128.  while i was at it, i also made note of the ones that use a 6 botton controller or the mouse.  I did NOT search through the normal CD games, the Hucards or the US released software because i assume that there are few, if any, games that use one of these 3 accesories on those formats (besides SF2). 
this was boring work, so let me know if you see any errors or if there are more games in the other formats that i should include.

M=Mouse
6=six botton controller
128=Memory Base 128

SCD Games
--------------
M         Tenka Tairan
M+128  Alll
6          Advanced VG
128      Aoki Ookami To Shiroki Mejika
128      Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Collection
128       Emerald Dragon
M          Jantei Monogatari 3 Saber Angel
6          Kakutou Haou Densetsu Algunos
M          Lemmings
128       Magicoal
6          Martial Champions
M          Metal Angel
M          Nemurenumori No Chiisana Ohanashi
M          Power Golf 2
128       Sankokushi lll
128       Shin Megami Tensei
128       Tadaima Yusha Boshuuchuu
M          Tokimeki Memorial
6          Ys 4

SCD/ACD Games
--------------------
M+128      Atlas
M+128      Brandish
M+128      Eikan Wa Kimini
6+128       Linda Cube
6              Mahjong Sword Princess Quest Gaiden
128           Popful Mail
6+M+128  Princess Maker 2
128           Private Eye Doll
6+128       Super Real Mahjong P ll + lll Custom
6+128       "                           " PV Custom
128           Vasteel 2

ACD Games
--------------
3           World Heros 2
6           Fatal Fury 2
6           Fatal Fury Special
6           Art Of Fighting
6           Battlefield '94
6           Kabuki Itouryodan
6+128   Fire Pro Female Wrestling

Hucards
---------
6  Street Fighter 2 CE
6  Strip Fighter
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

Thanks for the list. This answers some of my questions.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Leroy

VestCunt

scroll down to the "memory base games" thread.  i explain it some on there
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

awesome work VestCunt! i love stuff like this... and it was smart to make note of several things rather than just the MB 128 issue!

I'll have to update my 3 and 6-button game list at magicengine.com when I get a chance now:

http://www.magicenginefx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1082&highlight=

and we can also update this:

http://www.magicenginefx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1179&highlight=mouse

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VestCunt

cool, thanks for the threads steve.
ok, so strip fighter and Ys 4 also use 6 bottons.
i forgot that brandish uses the mouse (i didn't actually look at it since i own it).
world heroes 2 is only a 3-botton game.  
Art of Fighting offers what i will catagorize as "shitty" 6  botton support, as it only uses bottons #1,2,3, and 6.   :wink:
i don't feel like comparing the lists of mouse games right now.
does anyone know if there are any more cards or normal CDs that use any of these accesories ?
Topic Adjourned.

twor2005

Well the Neo Geo is a 4 button beast so its only natural Art of Fighting would only make use of four buttons. I would hope those buttons are programmable though- I would definitely want the taunt in the top row.

I had no idea Ys IV used the 6 button. What the heck do you do with all those buttons? Its been ages since I played it.

esteban

Quote from: "twor2005"Well the Neo Geo is a 4 button beast so its only natural Art of Fighting would only make use of four buttons. I would hope those buttons are programmable though- I would definitely want the taunt in the top row.

I had no idea Ys IV used the 6 button. What the heck do you do with all those buttons? Its been ages since I played it.
As I noted in the thread, the 6 buttons are used to improve the navigation of menus in Ys IV:
QuoteA. Ys IV (The extra buttons are used as shortcuts to sub menus)
Pretty kool idea!

twor2005

Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "twor2005"Well the Neo Geo is a 4 button beast so its only natural Art of Fighting would only make use of four buttons. I would hope those buttons are programmable though- I would definitely want the taunt in the top row.

As I noted in the thread, the 6 buttons are used to improve the navigation of menus in Ys IV:
QuoteA. Ys IV (The extra buttons are used as shortcuts to sub menus)
Pretty kool idea!

Its not much but it doesn't hurt when it comes to justifying the purchase of the 6 button controller. I bought one of those Smartjoy converters that let you use PS controllers on PCE but it was very cheaply made for a smartjoy product. There's nothing like the real nec avenue etc for those 6 button games.

esteban

This thread is awesome. I love this stuff.

While I love VestCunt for his cutting sarcasm and related hijinks, some folks might not be as familiar with his other side: the obsessive, gotta-be-exhaustive, explore-minutiae-to-the-end side.

STATUS: I love VestCunt. I also love NecroPhile because I wasn't able to find this thread the other day (and only had the foggiest notion of its contents).

:pcgs:

InfraMan

Quote from: esteban on 04/15/2014, 10:52 AMSTATUS: I love VestCunt. I also love NecroPhile because I wasn't able to find this thread the other day (and only had the foggiest notion of its contents).

:pcgs:
Ha, it is completely weird that you just happened to revive this old thread now... I used the search feature a few moments ago to find a list of mouse-compatible games, and when I got to the bottom of this ancient thread I noticed that the last post was from this morning. Cool coincidence! :D

Also, very useful thread!

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 04/15/2014, 10:52 AMI wasn't able to find this thread
It'd be easier to find if it had MB128 (or Memory Base 128) and button in the title.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

Ah, 2005. The limitless horizons of weird PC Engine stuff to explore. Undocumented pockets of the "Big Woods" remaining on the internet.  The MB128. The TE multiplayer games. No one cared about French manuals, we knew fuck-all about the LD library, and Nat would still insist that Magical Chase was a $100 game.

Now I'm just an old asshole sitting on my screen porch cursing at the Racketboy fucks who clear cut the forest, raped the natives, and built a suburban hell of Buy-It-Now Tyvek® HomeWrap®, TurboChip shingles,  and VGA-graded siding.
Topic Adjourned.

VestCunt

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/15/2014, 12:13 PMIt'd be easier to find if it had MB128 (or Memory Base 128) and button in the title.  :P
Fixed. (2005 was also before I went back to school.)
Topic Adjourned.

BigusSchmuck

I'm going to NecroPhile bump this as I was looking for games that utilized the pce mouse. Could one of the mods kindly sticky this? I'm still curious if games like Loom or Beyond Shadowgate will work with the mouse or if you are absolutely pigeon holed into using the mouse on mouse compatible games only...

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BigusSchmuck

I wonder if a Playstation 2 mouse will work on a ps2 converter..

ClodBusted

The PS2 mouse (and keyboard) are connected via USB, this should give you an idea about (non-) convertibility.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2015, 12:56 AMThe PS2 mouse (and keyboard) are connected via USB, this should give you an idea about (non-) convertibility.
Yeah I just realized that. Still will probably get a PCE mouse. :)

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

While playing Magicoal, I tested out its MB128 compatibility.  Either there's something wrong with my MB128 (doubtful), I'm fucking it up somehow (quite possible), or Magicoal doesn't support it very well (most likely).

When attached, load and save can only see the MB128; the system's saves are only accessible when using 'copy', where you can swap individual saves back and forth between system and MB128 (three on each).  I could successfully save to the MB128 and swap games both ways, but loading from the MB128 led to a black screen of nothing.  Do any of you guys have Magicoal and a MB128 that can test it out and corroborate?

P.S. - Thanks again to le Ope for ze MB128.

Opethian

you already used it more than I did. I just made sure popful would see it and save but I didn't try direct loading
IMG

NecroPhile

You can add 6-button controls to Emerald Dragon.

Thanks to SavagePencil for pointing it out:mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/08/2016, 11:31 AMYou can add 6-button controls to Emerald Dragon.

That's right.

I forgot about the page I was making for this.

Talk about ANCIENT.

SavagePencil

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/08/2016, 11:31 AMYou can add 6-button controls to Emerald Dragon.

I finally paid attention to this thread and hoped it wasn't something that was already discussed!

rcantor77

PC-Engine.co.uk - definitive hardware listing for all PC Engine and Turbo Grafx systems.

esteban

wertz

SuperPlay

TurboXray

esteban

Pokun

I love these kinds of lists!
A small addition: Develo Startkit Basic-hen (TICD-6007) has two sample programs supposedly made in Basic for Develo by MSX-FAN magazine readers. One of them is "Mouse de Rakugaki". I just tried it with my mouse and it worked as advertised.

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/22/2016, 12:38 PMWhy is Forgotten Worlds the only 3button game on that list?
Yes and I don't think a list of 3-button support games makes any sense in the first place (Esteban's 3-button Friendly Games list makes sense though).
Also the Backup RAM part of that list looks really small and has lots of errors. I like the Analogue Controller list though, as that's something I haven't found much info about.

esteban

Quote from: Pokun on 02/08/2017, 05:18 AMI love these kinds of lists!
A small addition: Develo Startkit Basic-hen (TICD-6007) has two sample programs supposedly made in Basic for Develo by MSX-FAN magazine readers. One of them is "Mouse de Rakugaki". I just tried it with my mouse and it worked as advertised.

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/22/2016, 12:38 PMWhy is Forgotten Worlds the only 3button game on that list?
Yes and I don't think a list of 3-button support games makes any sense in the first place (Esteban's 3-button Friendly Games list makes sense though).
Also the Backup RAM part of that list looks really small and has lots of errors. I like the Analogue Controller list though, as that's something I haven't found much info about.
If you could help us fix the mistakes with the BackUP RAM...that would be awesome.

:)

Pokun

The only games I can confirm are the ones I have, but I can tell that the list have lots of errors since it lists RPGs like Emerald Dragon as not using Backup RAM. I mean a CD RPG that uses passwords for saving? No way!
And games like Forgotten Worlds are using BRAM for saving the High-Score according to this list.

Games that I have from the list and can confirm that they do save to BRAM:
Popful Mail
Princess Maker 2
Private Eyedol
Tokimeki Memorial

CrackTiger

Quote from: Pokun on 03/04/2017, 05:46 AMThe only games I can confirm are the ones I have, but I can tell that the list have lots of errors since it lists RPGs like Emerald Dragon as not using Backup RAM. I mean a CD RPG that uses passwords for saving? No way!
And games like Forgotten Worlds are using BRAM for saving the High-Score according to this list.

Games that I have from the list and can confirm that they do save to BRAM:
Popful Mail
Princess Maker 2
Private Eyedol
Tokimeki Memorial
There is no list of games using internal backup ram. This is an accessories compatibility list.

The Memory Base 128 is an accessory which plugs into the controller port.

Pokun

Sorry for derailing the thread. We were actually talking about this list. Not the one this thread is about.

It seems to assume that all games that access the MB128 are not using Backup RAM, but they generally supports both.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: VestCunt on 04/15/2014, 10:01 PMNat would still insist that Magical Chase was a $100 game.
Nat, we changed our mind, please come back and fix this, please
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 03/04/2017, 06:28 PM
Quote from: VestCunt on 04/15/2014, 10:01 PMNat would still insist that Magical Chase was a $100 game.
Nat, we changed our mind, please come back and fix this, please
Seriously.

It has been a long time since Nat was here.

Damn.

Artabasdos

What's a "memory base 128"? If it's a memory card, where do you insert it?

Pokun

In the Pad port. It forwards the Pad port to the pad (like a multitap with only one port). You need a CD game that has a manager program for it to use it, else you can only use it for games that saves directly to it. Emerald Dragon and Private Eye Dol are two games with fully featured manager programs.

It has 63 BRAM banks (compare with Ten no Koe BANK that only has 4 BRAM banks). Save-kun is a clone of MB128 by KOEI that works identically and is fully cross-compatible. Both uses 4 AA batteries, I use Eneloop low-discharge rechargeable batteries and they have lasted over two years now.

Artabasdos

Quote from: Pokun on 03/21/2017, 07:44 AMIn the Pad port. It forwards the Pad port to the pad (like a multitap with only one port). You need a CD game that has a manager program for it to use it, else you can only use it for games that saves directly to it. Emerald Dragon and Private Eye Dol are two games with fully featured manager programs.

It has 63 BRAM banks (compare with Ten no Koe BANK that only has 4 BRAM banks). Save-kun is a clone of MB128 by KOEI that works identically and is fully cross-compatible. Both uses 4 AA batteries, I use Eneloop low-discharge rechargeable batteries and they have lasted over two years now.
Oh ok! Can you attach it to a multitap?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/21/2017, 04:31 PMOh ok! Can you attach it to a multitap?
Maybe.  It's a pass through device, though, where you attach it to the system and the controller to the MB128, so I assume you'd want to attach the multi-tap to the MB128 rather than the other way around.

Artabasdos

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/21/2017, 04:36 PM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/21/2017, 04:31 PMOh ok! Can you attach it to a multitap?
Maybe.  It's a pass through device, though, where you attach it to the system and the controller to the MB128, so I assume you'd want to attach the multi-tap to the MB128 rather than the other way around.
Alrighty!

Pokun

You don't have to have it inserted at all times though. I mostly only insert it when I want to backup my BRAM.

Artabasdos

Quote from: Pokun on 03/23/2017, 09:00 AMYou don't have to have it inserted at all times though. I mostly only insert it when I want to backup my BRAM.
BRAM?

Pokun

Backup RAM, the 2 kB memory used for saving in games and are added by peripherals like Ten no Koe 2, Backup Booster and the CD units.

Artabasdos

Quote from: Pokun on 03/24/2017, 06:07 AMBackup RAM, the 2 kB memory used for saving in games and are added by peripherals like Ten no Koe 2, Backup Booster and the CD units.
Only 2KB?! Even the MegaCD has 8 lol.

Can the 2KB hold many saves?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/27/2017, 01:27 PMOnly 2KB?! Even the MegaCD has 8 lol.
The system that came out four years later had something better?!?  Stop the presses!

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/27/2017, 01:27 PMCan the 2KB hold many saves?
It depends on the game.  It could be dozens and dozens or it could be a single save file.