10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Altered Breast. I mean Beast, Altered Beast.

Started by offsidewing, 03/06/2010, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offsidewing

So, I've never played Altered Beast on the PCE.  Been thinking about picking it up.  Should I grab the CD or HuCard version?  Looks like the HuCard version come available less often than the CD-Rom.

nectarsis

Neither lol.   Just remember if you do nab the cd you'll need a japanese 1.0 card.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

blueraven

Please reference this thread. It should answer any questions about Altered Beast.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6088.0

I still haven't played the %$#&ing game.

rag-time4

Please grab both and post a comparison thread!

SignOfZeta

IMG

_Paul

shubibiman

Come on guies, Altered Beast is not that bad.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: shubibiman on 03/07/2010, 04:50 AMCome on guies, Altered Beast is not that bad.
well its not that good either.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

shubibiman

Sure it's not but it doesn't deserve all the harsh comments ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Tatsujin

pce is top in sprites.
md in backgrounds and scrolling.

put em both together you would get a very nice arcade port!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

runinruder

Long story short, the HuCard.  I did up reviews for them if you'd like to get some details or see some screen shots:

Altered Beast

Altered Beast CD
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

offsidewing

Boy, this is turning into one of those heated Bitstream VS PCM debates.  Those A/V nerds sure know how to pour on the haterade.  My 8 year old son pointed out a similar disparity to me.  He preferers the Bonk 3 HuCard to the Bonk 3 SCD because, "you can't be giant angry bonk on your CD, daddy."  I wondered if there were some of the same difference with Altered Breast.

TheClash603

You should be careful letting an 8 year old play with a game with as much value as bonk 3 cd.  Send it this way for some safe keeping.

But as with altered beast, everyone knows the master system is tops, minus the 10 FPS of course.

_Paul

I had an altered beast watch game. It was awesome.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/07/2010, 10:18 AMBut as with altered beast, everyone knows the master system is tops, minus the 10 FPS of course.
lol, that game should have been called Clunkered Beast.   

For what it's worth, neither is really BAD, I guess.   It's just if you are used to the Genesis one, it leaves a little to be desired.

Nice tunes though, as usual.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Jammaniaclord

Having played and beaten the original in the arcade back in it's hey day, as well as the Genesis versions (all 3 craptastic titles), it was nice to see this cd version, because it has cinema's, and nice soundtrack. Don't remember the Hu-Card version. Not that great of a port, but i can think of other titles worse than this for the beloved PC Engine.

Didn't know you can't be angry big bonk on the cd version. Are you sure? That just doesn't make sense.
PC Cocoron Hunter

_Paul

Quote from: Jammaniaclord on 03/07/2010, 05:50 PMit was nice to see this cd version, because it has cinema's, and nice soundtrack.
Wellll...The 'cinemas' consist of a very cheaply made slide show of existing artwork and the in-game music is all chip generated and is the same as the card version, so hardly major selling points.

offsidewing

Quote from: Jammaniaclord on 03/07/2010, 05:50 PMDidn't know you can't be angry big bonk on the cd version. Are you sure? That just doesn't make sense.
Nope, on the Super CD version when you (no snickering) eat meat as giant Bonk, Bonk just changes color shades slightly.  His character does not change.  On the HuCard, giant Bonk changes into all three forms of Bonk.  Has to do with the amount of RAM required for SCD play versus direct from the HuCard.  Someone with better working knowledge of the hardware could 'splain better.

exodus

Altered Beast isn't that good of a game to begin with. The PCE ports add extra barriers to appreciating an already mediocre game...not a fantastic time.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: exodus on 03/08/2010, 03:43 AMAltered Beast isn't that good of a game to begin with. The PCE ports add extra barriers to appreciating an already mediocre game...not a fantastic time.
this is very true.  The game , for as much as I love it, is a clunky bastard.

Often you get some WTF moments when you get caught on a thing trying to jump, or you bounce around like an epileptic at a rave.

WoodyXP

I love pain and punishment, therefore the HuCard version is best.
"I bathe in AES carts."

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Firebomber7

Quote from: shubibiman on 03/07/2010, 04:50 AMCome on guies, Altered Beast is not that bad.
Yeah... it is.  At least the Mega Drive version is playable.  The PCE version makes me want to puke.  I honestly didn't want to finish the first level in it.  I shut it off and turned on my MD... and I generally prefer the PCE overall.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

Arkhan Asylum

i played the PCE CD one again this morning before work.

hmm.  Nah, it isn't bad at all.