10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: "akamichi"I picked up Kenshin Dragon Quest the other day.  Played it only for about an hour so far.  Pretty fun considering the controls.  If you've never heard of it, it's a self-enclosed unit that connects directly to your TV like those shady NES/N64 controllers.  But this uses some kind of motion detection technology.  Basically you stand in front of the TV swinging the sword controller and just wreaking havoc on all the slimes and skeletons that cross your path.

Even though all you do is swing the sword to play, there's a number of things you can do.  By holding the sword in front of you,  you can block attacks (a transparent shield appears on the screen).  It's also possible to cast magic by holding the sword close to the game unit which calls up a magic window where you can select magic.

Overall, it's seems to be a simple game, but it's just fun (and funny) trying to slash everything in sight.
Vendors (at kiosks) in the local malls here are selling baseball, boxing, and ping pong motion games. The vendors appear during holiday season, then disappear. This is the second or third year I've seen them, so they must be making money.
My wife and I have have fun testing theses games (doubles ping pong is our fave, though homerun derby is therapuetic) ... the boxing game is "new" this year and seems similar to Punch Out (NES), but there was a long line of kids waiting to try it out, so we'll have to wait till next week. If it captures 50% of the fun of Punch Out, then it will be pretty nice, IMO.

I'd love it if they started demo'ing something like Kenshin Dragon Quest... sounds fun.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Hey that Kenshin Dragon Quest game sounds like great fun, reminds of what the Revolution is going to be like with Zelda.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PC Gaijin

Lately I've been playing:

Final Fantasy XI (PC): lots and lots of FFXI. Over two years now and I still have tons left to do in this game. Recently I've been playing beastmaster when I want to solo (just cracked 61 with bst) and bard when I want to party (56 on bard). Unfortunately, all of my RL and online friends that used to play this game with me have quit, so it's been a little lonely lately. This is still by far my all-time favorite FF game (sorry FFIV). Looking forward to FFXII mainly because it seems to be influenced by XI.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC): just a quick CTF session here and there when I need to blow off some steam.

Do Re Mi Fantasy (SFC): awesome platformer sequel to Milon's Secret Castle on the NES. By Hudson Soft too! :D

Tales of Symphonia (GC): still not sure whether I like this game or not. The battle system is pretty entertaining, but the story, characters, and art style are all horrible. Well, maybe horrible is too strong a word, but the story is very cliched and the character designs don't appeal to me at all. I liked Fujishima's mid-90s stuff well enough, like Oh My Goddess and Sakura Taisen, but lately his designs have been sucking IMO. And there's an odd sort of disconnect between the 2D character art, the cel-shaded in-game characters, and the 3D environments. Just doesn't mesh well.

TR0N

Quote from: "Tron"NeoGeo
Last Blade
Blazeing Star/Feel like seeing how high a score i can get on it.

Saturn
Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack

Duo-R
Dragon Slayer/what mess up dubbing :lol:  :lol:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PCEngineHell

Double Dragon for Genesis.

Ninja Spirit

Playing some of that Front Mission on my Super Famicom system.

Currently in: New Milgan

PCEngineHell

Art of Fighting 3 and Real Bout.

akamichi

I've been playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on my DS for the last week or so.  This game is soo fun!  I kinda like those mystery solving games from way back when and this one just takes that and wraps it around being a defense attorney.

It's a little over the top with the sound fx but it makes things interesting when you start accusing people of lying and stuff.  

I'll definitely buy more "episodes" of this game.  I don't think the GBA versions were released in English, so I might have to pick up the JPN versions and see if I can handle all the dialogue.  And there's a lot of dialogue to read in the game.

Very enjoyable from start to finish.

TR0N

MVS
Last Blade
Blazeing Star

Duo-R
Dragon Slayer

Still the same but i'm still waiting for, Bust-A-Move to get here :evil:

Other then 'that i should be getting a super cd-rom2 soon plus a copy of, Chiki Chiki boys for my Duo.
IMG

TR0N

MVS
Pulstar
Samurai Shodown 3

Note had my fill of bam figure i'd switch again.

PCE
Ys IV
IMG

PCEngineHell

Master System :
Time Soldiers
NeoGeo:
KOF99 and Metal SLug X
Genesis:
Devlish,Devils Crash import,and SplatterHouse2.

TR0N

IMG

Keranu

Got a crap load of games lately. Just recently my dad bought me an Intellivision with ten complete games for only $10 as a late birthday present since he knew I had been wanting one :D , kick azz! Also I was at a nice video game store recently and bought Baseball (Intellivision), Earth Defense Force (SNES), Kenseiden (SMS) Mario Paint (SNES), and Vice (NES). Oh and I also got Shape Shifter in the mail the same day I went to the store, so I gotta lot of kick ass games to play, not to mention that my little bro got a DS with some games and that's being using up some of my game time ;) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

esteban

My wife and I are having an absolute blast playing:

Jackie Chan's J-Mat
Jackie Chan's Powerboxing

Needless to say, a full review is forthcoming :). Everything arrived on tuesday and we've spent at least 2 hours every night playing it.

Xavix Bowling, believe it or not, will be our next purchase :)

Ninja Spirit

Just got Ganbare Goemon/Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2 for my Super Famicom. That Konami series is much of a masterpiece as Castlevania and Metal Gear, but didn't get much respect because of the cultural barrier.

PCEngineHell

Tekken 3 arcade pcb on my supergun,and Valis 1 Genesis.

Seldane

I got this (/ys6yse8or.jpg) today. I figure it's time for me to actually play through the original Ys ETERNAL...  8)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

TR0N

Famicom
The Goonies

Took a break from, Neo gaming that's untile i get, NeoBomberman though.

Btw befor i sent my friend, Duo-R back i got to finsh, Neutpoia 1&2 :D
IMG

rolins

My winter break from college has been a blast. I spent all my free time beating all the video games I bought since the beginning of 2005. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX I had borrowed from a good friend from Japan, and the NES games I was replaying them out of nostalgia.

PCE:
 Kyuukyoku Tiger --this is my new favorite pce game. the gameplay is similar to Raiden, it's challenging, and looks amazing on the GT.
 Nexzr --great shmup. stage 6 is tricky and the final boss can be cheap.
 Xak III --great story and nice Eng translation by Nightwolve. the game was too short and bosses are weaklings.
 Bomberman 94 --my favorite in the bomberman series.
 Super Raiden --addictive gameplay. i'm still stuggling to past stage 8.

MSX: using a MSX2+ computer - Sony HB-F1XV
Metal Gear --superior to the nes version in dialog, gameplay, graphics, everything. you actually get to face Metal Gear. my fastest time is 2 hours and 20 minutes.
 Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake --it's like playing MGS in 8bit graphics.
 Vampire Killer --this one plays a little different than the original Castlevania for the nes, but I like this version better.
 Snatcher --this game will test your patience b/c the loading times are horrendous. only play this version if you're a Snatcher fan.
 King's Valley II (msx2 version) --very good puzzle game, a must play.
 Maze of Galious --probably the best platform/adventure game on the MSX.

NES:
 Ninja Gaiden --the first game I ever bought for the nes, and absolute favorite game on this console.
 Gun Nac --great shmup by Compile, it's suppose to be a parody of Zanac.
 River City Ransom --my favorite beat'em up.
 Bionic Commando --great game and innovative. I just wish the diffculty was set higher.
 Akumajou Densetsu --japanese version of CV3. better music and easier than the American version.
 Crisis Force --a shmup by Konami and only released in Japan. this game is fantasic with amazing graphics for a famicom game.

akamichi

Quote from: "Tron"The Goonies
That's one of my favorite games!  Somehow I managed to snag the Famicon Disk version and the cart version for cheap.  I didn't even know about a disk version until I saw it at a flea market!  

Games I'm playing now:
Tekken 5 DR - arcade
Final Fantasy IV Adv - GBA
Never played entirely through the SNES ver.

Ryu ga Gotoku - PS2
It's like Shenmue but more gritty and modern.  Only played a few hours so far.

Coming Soon:
DQ8 - PS2.  I'll probably start this one after I finish FFIV.

TR0N

Quote from: "akamichi"
Quote from: "Tron"The Goonies
That's one of my favorite games!  Somehow I managed to snag the Famicon Disk version and the cart version for cheap.  I didn't even know about a disk version until I saw it at a flea market!  
Was it official one or a bootleg? It's one thing the, Famicom had a lot of on cart and on the disk :?  

I did beat the, Goonies not to long ago... but i've been "replaying it" for a better score :idea:
IMG

esteban

I've been playing Scrabble. That's it. It's the best board game ever created (even better than Risk, which I like a lot)... which reminds me: I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the GBA Scrabble game (I don't know what it's like, but I gotta try it out). I think Target had some copies reduced to $10 when I was last there.

Keranu

Haha, excellent game choice for this week, Steve :D .

By the way, as far as board game video games go, I LOVE Pictonary for NES! You get to play these really fun mini games with awesome music and each time you score, it knocks off a piece of the artwork and when the time goes out, you get to guess what the picture is under a time limit, which kind of sucks without a keyboard, but it's still a really fun game!
IMG

GUTS

Man for board games STRATEGO is where it's at.  Does anybody else here hate Monopoly?  I could never get into that game, plus you can't play it without somebody getting pissed off.

Keranu

I don't hate Monopoly, but I do get tired of it quite easily. By the way, the best board game ever made is The Omega Virus.
IMG

Keranu

Actually I take that back, it's a toss up between The Omega Virus and Sassy.
IMG

TJ

...day eleventy-hunnert-and-thirty-twelve...STILL playing Dragon Quest VIII...89 hours so far...there's a tiny mirage on the horizon, it may be the end, but so hard to tell...must...make...it....to....end...!!

Actually, I'm still loving DQ8. There are so many ways to dick around and waste time before pushing ahead to your goals. Making new weapons, gaining levels, side quests. Definitely getting my money's worth out of that one.

I've also been playing OutRun2 on the Xbrick. Picked up Chaos Field for Gamecube the other day but still haven't popped the shrinkwrap on it...I have the Dreamcast version, and it's not the greatest of all shmups, but I do like to buy any shmup that gets a domestic release just to try to support the cause. And I got Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection for five bucks at Best Buy. I suck at pinball but it's a super cool game, the presentation is great.

Today I found Sonic R for Saturn and The Ring for Dreamcast (I didn't even know that got released in the US). Recently added a whole pantsload of boxed 2600 games to the collection too -- had to rearrange the display case just to fit 'em all in there.

Finally, I'm keeping my eye on a few PCE games on ebay, but I'm trying to save my money for a trip to the Pacific Northwest this year, so I dunno if I'll buy right now. Oh what am I saying, I probably will, I'm terrible at saving money.

esteban

Quote from: "GUTS"Man for board games STRATEGO is where it's at.  Does anybody else here hate Monopoly?  I could never get into that game, plus you can't play it without somebody getting pissed off.
Stratego... I have vague memories of trying to play STRATEGO when I was a a kid. kddMonopoly really never holds my interest for long. The most fun my brothers and I had was devising ways of grabbing extra cash. This only worked when you were the banker.

TANGENT: When I was a kid I remember getting an Alien board game (based on the movie). I had not seen the movie, but the package art was really scary. It was pretty a generic game, from what I remember, and I think aliens could get you, but it was decided randomly. Hmmm, yet another thing I have to google now.

Ninja Spirit

Played the following last night:
Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (PCE)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (Genesis)
Dinosaurs for Hire (Genesis)
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (Super Famicom)
Gun Nac (NES)
Strider (NES)
Double Dragon II (PCE)

Keranu

Oh hell yeah, another person here who has played Dinosaur's for Hire! I love that game! That was the only game my friend got for his Genesis 10 years or so ago and me and my bro kind of felt sorry for him, but we ended up nearly beating the game the first time we played it and I love the game to this day. Cheesy-looking games totally get overlooked, it really is a fun game.
IMG

GUTS

Dinosaurs for Hire is the game where it locks up for a second and then the dinosaur says something about your "blast processing unit" screwing up?  I remember playing that once years ago and thought that was fucking hilarious, plus the game seemed like a really cool Contra style shooter.  I have it in my closet, I just need to dig it out, haha.

Keranu

Yep that's the one! It's a fun platform shooter or run n' gunner except it's cheesy dinosaur theme, poor graphics and sound might really turn people off but the game is pretty awesome to play and has some big ass bosses in it and a awesome level where you go up on this outside elevator that goes all the way to the top of the Empire State Building where you fight some boss. Only super retards like me can enjoy dinosaur themed games.
IMG

TR0N

Famicom
Goonies II
Castlevaina

Finally got my, 60to72 converter so i can play my, NES carts on it 8)
IMG

PCEngineHell

You guys play Dino for Hire on Genesis, i'll stick to Tekken 3 arcade pcb on my supergun.

NightWolve

Quote from: "rolins"Xak III --great story and nice Eng translation by Nightwolve. the game was too short and bosses are weaklings.
Ah, so you really thought it was nice aside from difficulty and game length? I would've loved it if I had Deuce to spruce up and de-Engrish the translation some more at the time. It really could use it I'd say, looking back on it. My translators from back then weren't as good as he is at naturalizing/localizing the translated strings. But, going back to it yet again after so long is as unlikely as me getting Deuce interested in it. I wish it could've worked out differently though, it deserves better, but oh well. I couldn't get proofreading help from the pce/tg16 community even.

GUTS

I personally thought Xak III had a great translation.

I just beat Wild Arms 4, it was fookin incredible.  Best RPG I've played in AGES, it was that good.

NightWolve

I still have to beat Wild Arms 2 for Playstation and 3 for PS2. :(

rolins

Has anyone heard of these websites before.

Tool Assisted Console Game Movies
Speed Demos Archive

These are perhaps two of the most interesting I've seen because they post movies of player's fastest time to beat a game. There is one major difference between websites and thats their approach. Tool Assisted Console Game Movies uses emulators to create the movies and encourage the use of slow motion and save states to gain the fastest time. Thats why when you watch some of the movies (NES - Gradius for example) the player would seem to have god-like reflexes. The other site, Speed Demos Archive, all submitted movies are recorded from actual gaming hardware, no emulators used. So whatever you see is pure skill of the player. Thats why when you watch their movies it's grainy because players record them from VHS then convert to avi. It's too bad there are no entries of tg16 games.

PCEngineHell

People here could start???

akamichi

Quote from: "Tron"Was it official one or a bootleg? It's one thing the, Famicom had a lot of on cart and on the disk :?  

I did beat the, Goonies not to long ago... but i've been "replaying it" for a better score :idea:
I'm not sure if it's a bootleg or not.  It looks like the real thing, but I admit that I'm not that familiar with FDS games/bootlegs in general.  Maybe I'll dig it out of packing and post a pic.  Since it was used, I only got the disk + instruction sheet.  

One major difference I remember between the FC Goonies and arcade ver was that enemies did a lot more damage to you in the arcade version.  It was like 3 hits and you died.  FC version is like 5 or 6 hits.  I was able to finish the FC ver with one guy w/o even the fear of dying.  

I wish there were more games like the Goonies.  I love those run-and-jump adventures.  Others I like are Out of this World, Flashback, and Pitfall II. :)

esteban

Quote from: "rolins"Has anyone heard of these websites before.

Tool Assisted Console Game Movies

Speed Demos Archive

These are perhaps two of the most interesting I've seen because they post movies of player's fastest time to beat a game. There is one major difference between websites and thats their approach. Tool Assisted Console Game Movies uses emulators to create the movies and encourage the use of slow motion and save states to gain the fastest time. Thats why when you watch some of the movies (NES - Gradius for example) the player would seem to have god-like reflexes. The other site, Speed Demos Archive, all submitted movies are recorded from actual gaming hardware, no emulators used. So whatever you see is pure skill of the player. Thats why when you watch their movies it's grainy because players record them from VHS then convert to avi. It's too bad there are no entries of tg16 games.
No, never saw those sites. Only the second one appeals to me, though, because that's the real deal. I'll definitely check ot out. Personally, I love watching the SMB videos that you find on twin galaxies (i always assumed they were recorded "live", no tricks).

Keranu

Yes, real deal all the way. It took me awhile until I noticed the first link said it used emulator tricks.
IMG

akamichi

It's possible to beat Dungeon Explorer in like 20 secs using that one invincibility/debug code. hehehe.   :lol:

Of course it'll take longer if you count inputting the code as part of the speed run.

TR0N

Famicom+Disk System
Crisis Force
Legend of Zelda

Btw just got my Famicom Disk System from JGS.

Works good so far heck, LOZ&Metroid on disk put the, NES versions to shame.
IMG

TJ

Quote from: "Tron"Famicom+Disk System
Crisis Force
Legend of Zelda

Btw just got my Famicom Disk System from JGS.

Works good so far heck, LOZ&Metroid on disk put the, NES versions to shame.

I wish MY Famicom Disk System worked. ;_;

But I FINALLY finished Dragon Quest VIII! Yay! Now I have to finish up Phoenix Wright. I just bought Resident Evil 4 so I guess that's next...or I might just chill out for a while with some shmups, I dunno.

cavein2000

Tron,

Sweet!  How is the Famicom disk system... I just saw a brand new boxed system with Zelda, Metroid, and two other favorites go for about 160 shipped.  
Looked like a real nice collectors piece, but you say the games are superior to the NES.  Can you explain a bit...
What a horrible night to have a curse...

cavein2000

Btw, I've been playing Dracula X and Res Evil 4, both are amazing.  Just passed the slew of bosses after the grim reaper in Drac X and I'm wrecking everything in sight with the Infinite rocket launcher in res evil.  

Just picked up a ton of video games for SNES, and the NES.  I actually found a Tristar super 8 converter as well.  The games include
SNES
Castelvania IV
Castlevania X
Japanese Capcom special edition controller

NES
Super C
Simon's Quest (mint and complete)
Metal Gear
Snakes Revenge
Legend of Zelda (near mint complete)
Ariksta's Ring
Kirby's adventure (mint factory sealed)

Got my hands full for now.  Probably take a break from buying except for checking out the local thrift stores for some occasional rare finds!!

PCEngineHell

From what I saw of the Tristar was that the video quality was crap.I was wondering if all of them were like this?

cavein2000

not sure but i'll tell you when it arrives.  I think there are a few different versions of these.  Some say tristar, some say super 8 on them.

rolins

PC-Engine
Rayxanber III
R-Type Complete
Aero Blasters

MSX
Blaster Burn
Aleste Gaiden
Final Justice
Gulkave

NEC PC98 (emulator only)
Rude Breaker
Burning Dragon
Night Slave
Steam Hearts

Manage to obtain a bunch of pc-engine and msx games, but spent most of my time playing games on the NEC PC98.