RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Your TOP5 best music games

Started by termis, 04/30/2010, 09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

My top 5 picks:  In no particular order... (except Herzog, man I love this one)

Herzog Zwei, Genesis -- No doubt about this one.  Goddamn, I can't find a single bad track from this game.  And the tunes are soooo spot on to the game environment.  I'd pay good money to buy a soundtrack of this game, especially this doujin one. 

Ys I&II, TurboCD -- Awesome, awesome tunes again.  Like above, I think they did a good job in matching the setting to the environment, though some disagree (some didn't think the guitar jams didn't quite fit).  Nevertheless, awesome.   My favorite's the tune between the two chapters when Adol gets transported into the land of Ys.

Actraiser, SNES -- Made really good use of the SNES music chip -- These tunes are so well suited to the SNES that wouldn't have quite sounded right on the PCE or the MD chip.  It's so deep, and feels like an orchestra's playing this one out. 

Streets of Rage, Genesis.  Rad techno tunes, and its successors never quite matched up to the originals when it came to the music.

Lords of Thunder, TurboSCD -- Again, not to everyone's taste, but I do love those guitar jams.

Honorable Mentions:
Thunder Force III, Devil's Crush, Double Dragon (arcade, nes), Legend of Zelda

hoobs88

No particular order...
Lords of Thunder
Bubble Bobble
Parasol Stars
any Castlevania game
Legend of Zelda
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Joe Redifer

Good thread, but I'm going to have to think about this one... tough choices to make!

rag-time4

5-Double Dragon Arcade
4-Street Fighter 1 Arcade
3-Castlevania Symphony of the Night PS1
2-Ys III Turbo CD
1-Super Mario 2/USA NES

Honorable Mention to: Zelda II, Dragon Quest/Warrior I, Final Fantasy IV

TR0N

Hmm that's a tough one to pick.

1.Ys Book 1&2
2.Raidant Silvergun
3.Streets of Rage 2
4.Super Castlevania IV
5.Blaster Master (NES)
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Shite this be hard.

1) I tie for Battle of Olympus and Faxanadu on NES:   Depending on my mood they both have kick ass tunes, fun gameplay, nice story/themes, and are great to sit and play all day.

2) Lunar for PSX:  There is no way to describe how epic it is.   Perfect music, beautiful artwork, the best RPG story of all time, cutscenes, simple yet effective gameplay.... :D

3) Hydlide 3/Super Hydlide (same game):   Nice FM music (where applicable), but nice soundtrack either way.  Detailed gameplay, a strange world to explore.  A great game if you give it a proper chance

4) Contra NES: Enough Said.

5) Super Metroid: Enough Said yet again!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

I always thought Super Hydlide sounded awesome on the Genesis, especially for such an early game.  It'd be almost perfect if it wasn't for the gimpy percussion.

Digi.k

hmmmm tough.. there's some great tracks on the super nes I wish I could list but I picked these for having the most tracks I enjoyed in each game

grandia - sega saturn/psx
infinite undiscovery - xbox 360
jet set radio - dreamcast
Akumajou Dracula X - sega saturn/psx
ys book I & II - pc engine cd-rom

(also love to mention ganbare goeman - super famicom, axelay - snes, castlevania IV - superfami, chrono trigger - SNES, secret of mana - SNES, dungeon explorer - pce, dragon saber/dragon spirit - pce, parodius/salamander - pce, shining in the holy ark - sega saturn, silhouette mirage - sega saturn, phantasy star II - genesis, jackie chan - pce, Detana twin bee - arcade, lunar 2 eternal blue - sega saturn, Nights into dreams - sega saturn)

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/01/2010, 12:34 AMA TOP 5 is Impossible!
Agreed. It is impossible. I mean, I could go for the obvious, "Top 40" titles...

Ys Book I & II, Valis II* (CD-ROM)
Dungeon Explorer, Legendary Axe (HuCard)
Double Dragon, Metroid (NES)

...and already I'm over the limit, and I haven't even started.

* OK, not everyone lusts after the Valis II soundtrack like I do. Naysayers be damned, though!

An easier thread topic would be: "Top 5 soundtracks that you have NEVER posted about before" :)

That would still be tough, though :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/02/2010, 02:28 AMI always thought Super Hydlide sounded awesome on the Genesis, especially for such an early game.  It'd be almost perfect if it wasn't for the gimpy percussion.
It sounds pretty good on the PC-88 as far as FM goes too.  But the genesis one still sounds better :D

I got the sound track for it!

its the PC-88 versions songs, and then there are some studio remixes involving a guitar and alot of epic.

The drums on genesis are sometimes OK and sometimes wimpy. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

termis

Picking a top 5 is difficult for sure -- that's why I also had to give an honorable mentions list, but sorting/filtering them out was kind of fun (lots of youtubing to jog my memory on some as well).  The ones that remained to the very end were the games that had the great tracks throughout the whole game, not just a few memorable tracks here and there.

And folks are coming up with some good ones to jog my memory as well - Contra in particular.

Arkhan Asylum

Now I cant decide if I like Contra on NES's music better,

or contra 3 on SNES.

fuuuuuu.

The rest of my list still stands firm..

I just listened to the Battle of Olympus tunes again today.   Kick assery all around on that game.

rag-time4

Quote from: termis on 05/02/2010, 11:19 PMAnd folks are coming up with some good ones to jog my memory as well - Contra in particular.
My favorite by far is the snow-field stage

TheClash603

Great thread...

1.)  Double Dragon (Arcade)
2.)  Outrun  (Arcade)
3.)  Ys 1&2  (Turbo Duo)
4.)  Dr. Mario (NES)
5.)  Sonic R (Saturn)

Honorable Mention.)  Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (It's gonna take you for a ride)

I think that does it...

Opethian

in no particular order:
PC Denjin
Lords of Thunder
Duck Tales!!!!!!!(NES)
MegaMan2 (Wiley stage!)
Chrono Trigger
IMG

TheClash603

I love the level select song in Duck Tales.  To this day I will argue with my fists that this is a better game than Mega Man.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/05/2010, 11:47 PMTo this day I will argue with my fists that this is a better game than Mega Man.
Awesome :)

I still haven't figured out how I'm supposed "hop" properly in the opening stage.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG