Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenWheels

Quote from: guest on 02/25/2015, 03:21 PMI wish I would've seen that auction so I could buy it, separate everything out for resale, and get rich off of nully's BIN prices.
All right since I obviously can't tell who is being facetious for shit, I'll ask: Are those easy sells at those prices? I only pay attention to CIC, not CIBs so I have no clue.

If so thank goodness for my wallet I don't care about boxes.

NecroPhile

I was being sarcastic.  I've no doubt that the bundle could easily be parted out for more than $1500, even at fair prices (well under cheapest completed auction prices) to forum friends, yet some of the prices null posted are high even by eBay standards; case in point - the last three non-BIN Cottons sold for ~$250, and the last two BIN copies sold for $400.

Not only was I being sarcastic, but that was my passive aggressive way of telling Null to fuck off and go troll some other thread.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NecroPhile

Blah, blah, blah.  If this thread bothers you so much, why do you keep coming back?

jtucci31

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/25/2015, 04:27 PMBlah, blah, blah.  If this thread bothers you so much, why do you keep coming back?
I come for the free potato salad.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

blueraven

After 3 years of being absent, an observation.

I'm absolutely fucking disgusted with the prices of games on eBay, and the sellers that are fueling it.

Stateside, It seems that every seller on eBay has taken the "$3000" Magical Chase debacle that we so sorely watched unfold and applied it to EVERYTHING TURBO. Copies of Bonk's Adventure and Keith Courage are going for $20-$30. People are paying it? Wow.

On a side note at least its endlessly entertaining to see n00B gougers come to this thread and try and e-lawyer everyone.

IMG

JapanTokei

I saw MUSHA for the Genesis go for $315 on Ebay yesterday.... pretty insane.  IF Musha is that much, Spriggan on PCE will be a matter of time before it explodes...

looks like there is general inflation across all collectible video games since 2009 for sure.  Not just States-side.. even Y! Auction prices are inflated at JP these days.

blueraven

I was mainly reacting to seeing Syd Mead's Terraforming for $1000, and Air Zonk for $650. The Genesis inflation is surprising, but I think you're projection s will be right.

..Speaking to a friend who is a Video Game programmer, I brought this topic up, and he credited the tangibility of retrogames, and how everything now is completely online. Looking at MMO environment games or iPhone games, hey cited the interface aspect of current games and apps: that once the servers go offline the game doesn't exist anymore. If you have a turbo or a Genesis, you own the game, and thus, you can play it "off the grid". He's unsurprised.

Apparently its hip to own a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 02/25/2015, 09:51 PMDoes this guy think by already loading Magical Chase and Bonk 3 that it will increase the price of an everdrive by 100%?  :-k
Item location:  Colorado Springs, Colorado

I presume the seller is high on the ganja.  :mrgreen:

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 02/26/2015, 09:57 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/25/2015, 09:51 PMDoes this guy think by already loading Magical Chase and Bonk 3 that it will increase the price of an everdrive by 100%?  :-k
Item location:  Colorado Springs, Colorado

I presume the seller is high on the ganja.  :mrgreen:
Speaking of ganja, did you see that they passed it as legal in alaska. Just happened to be watching news and that popped up.

esadajr

Quote from: blueraven on 02/26/2015, 01:50 AMApparently its hip to own a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog.
I thought it was hip to hate and troll on Sonic.
Gaming since 1985

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

Ah, a special deal from a Canadian no less! Thanks, Canaduh!

shawnji

I don't know if you've guys have seen this stuff already.  I wish I could afford a lot of it myself, but I'm going through some financial struggles and can't right now.  At the very least, though, I thought maybe some of this could go to a good home:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dooley531/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

It's really the first time I've seen some reasonable prices for Turbo stuff on eBay.  Man, I wish I could get that copy of Ys I + II...

Bloufo

Quote from: JapanTokei on 02/26/2015, 01:25 AMlooks like there is general inflation across all collectible video games since 2009 for sure.  Not just States-side.. even Y! Auction prices are inflated at JP these days.
This is so true.

Got on to eBay yesterday for the first time in a long time.
Most of the asking prices now are just nuts.

Forget about systems like the Saturn. Never the cheapest of systems to get the better games for it, now it's through the roof.

Guess I'll stick to buying and playing games for one of the "non-desirable" consoles.  :P
I'm thinking oXbox. If those ever get ridiculously inflated, then there clearly is no hope.  :lol:

HailingTheThings

IMG

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 03/03/2015, 05:16 AMOMG GOUGING!!! J/K someone should buy this though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Zonk-Turbografx-Game-Turbo-Duo-Hu-Card-Great-Shape-Fun-Shooter-/261799153443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf4720f23

seems like a "deal"
Considering I got Air Zonk complete for 1/3rd of that 3 years ago hardly. This just goes to show the PC Engine versions of these games are continually looking more attractive at least for a pricing standpoint.

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

GoldenWheels

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 03/03/2015, 09:22 AMConsidering I got Air Zonk complete for 1/3rd of that 3 years ago hardly. This just goes to show the PC Engine versions of these games are continually looking more attractive at least for a pricing standpoint.
3 years is a loooooong time ago in the market for anything some people might consider "Collectible".

blueraven

Quote from: esadajr on 02/26/2015, 12:32 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 02/26/2015, 01:50 AMApparently its hip to own a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog.
I thought it was hip to hate and troll on Sonic.
Quite the debacle we have now, eh?

Nexus7

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Nexus7 on 03/04/2015, 03:16 AMI've been seeing Blazing Lazers selling for $70 now.  Isn't that game pretty darn common? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blazing-Lazers-TurboGrafx-16-1989-Turbo-Duo-Turboexpress-RARE-NEC-Gunhead-/321514883559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adbc7c9e7
Now that is just dumb. Surely there are enough copies floating around to be quite a bit cheaper, no matter how good it is.
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: Nexus7 on 03/04/2015, 03:16 AMI've been seeing Blazing Lazers selling for $70 now.  Isn't that game pretty darn common? 
Yeah, Blazing Lazers is a super common game.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

xcrement5x

New copies were being sold buy a guy in the UK less than a year ago for like $18, so yeah super gouge.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

KGD

Miracle_Warrior

Quote from: KGD on 03/04/2015, 12:48 PMI was wondering about Cadash, CIC copies... Is this an anomaly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadash-Turbo-Grafx-16-TurboGrafx-WOW-NEC-Sleeve-Clip-Manual-HuCard-/221674987134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339cdbde7e

The only boxed copy that sold recently went for 250$..?!
Wow, that is crazy, I'd say that is definitely an anomaly.

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

JapanTokei

Cadash is a great game IMO for the console though, one of the few rare titles that has 2-player simu-play on the system... I think the US versions are just getting more and more "appreciation" and boxed versions are tougher to find.  that said, 250 is a lot, but again, when Valis 3 boxed goes for >100 something as well, things gets put in context.

one of my new favorite quotes:  "Everything is relative in life".  I think this applies for sure on the video game inflation these days.  It'll take another rcession to dampen this, since every country is printing $ and devaluing their currency like crazy these days.  (In case of Japan, I'm totally getting screwed !!)

esadajr

aren't these gougers afraid of buyer fraud?
Gaming since 1985

wilykat

Unfortunately very little the seller can do about it.  eBay and Paypal usually side with the buyer unless buyer has unusually high complaint or return rate.

Dishonest buyer could buy sealed copy, open dispute claim the wrap was fake or missing and return a different copy that was not sealed or mint.  Dishonest buyer could also get the game and return rocks.  Dishonest buyer could also buy working Duo or CD system, swap part, and send non working unit back.

There's also case of buyer who buys a lot, then file chargeback with CC company claiming stolen CC.  I was hit with that once but since the scammy buyer was in USA I'm sure that hundreds seller who were ripped off over $30,000 from this one buyer all filed counter claim with original ship-to address and the CC company likely went after the person at the address for receiving goods with stolen CC. Never heard anything back and loss of $75 still stinks after about 5 years.

Once in a while seller can win the dispute but usually it's near impossible to win through eBay.  The seller may have a better luck filing complaint with post office for postal fraud (ie switched items), with police department, etc.

tl:dr if you can't afford to lose to that 1% scam buyer, don't sell it on eBay.  Use something like Craigslist and meet in police station lobby (many are open for CL deals)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: KGD on 03/04/2015, 12:48 PMI was wondering about Cadash, CIC copies... Is this an anomaly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadash-Turbo-Grafx-16-TurboGrafx-WOW-NEC-Sleeve-Clip-Manual-HuCard-/221674987134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339cdbde7e

The only boxed copy that sold recently went for 250$..?!
And that was WITH a loose copy ending a day after that on auction for $30. I was tracking that one but since I already had won the CIB copy I didn't feel the need to drive up the cost on a really good deal loose copy (English) for someone else trying to get a good deal.

I litterly three. Days ago bought one CIb off eBay for $95 w/free shipping.

Not sure if that was average just a price I was willing to pay to get that much closer to a complete WD collection. But man. $250?  I would have kept on looking personally.

Mathius

I just received a depressing newsletter from Genki Video Games (a UK seller of new and retro games). Before listing their new additions they say, quote "Genki Greetings. Nice to have some of the finer Saturn releases in stock in brand new format. Though judging by recent retro shifts, investment companies may be buying them up by the time you read this."

This isn't Turbo related, I know. It gut punched me so hard that I'm having a hard time dealing with the state of affairs going on in our most beloved sector of entertainment. Scratch that. It isn't entertainment to me. It's a part of my heart and soul. I gave my life to God recently, but this place and the games we love hold sway over my inner being still and it devastates me to see the things I love in this life be invaded by those that have zero love or respect for it. They only see profit. And that pisses me off!

PCEngineFX

Are you guys contacting any of these sellers?  If not, I suggest you do and get your frustrations heard.  I've recently contacted a batch of eBay business (ie, "investors") with a piece of my mind on the issue....of course it won't change anything, but I'd rather have them hear from us than not.
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

I don't bother contacting sellers, as they know exactly what they're doing, happily increasing values so they make even more off the next game they flip.

Gentlegamer

Yeah, what good would contacting resellers do? What we should do is lobby ebay to reclassify video games so they can't list BINs that don't sell over and over with no listing fees. Make them price to sell or use a crazy thing called auctions.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Arkhan Asylum

what we need to do honestly, is create a PC Engine/Turbo Grafx-16 Fair-Price-Guide

that is maintained by us.

let it become the defacto standard, with evidence made from sales here, and in the FB groups from non-fuckups.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bob

Quote from: guest on 03/12/2015, 05:16 PMwhat we need to do honestly, is create a PC Engine/Turbo Grafx-16 Fair-Price-Guide

let it become the defacto standard, with evidence made from sales here, and in the FB groups from non-fuckups.
LOL. i would love to see the debate that this would facilitate

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 03/12/2015, 05:16 PMwhat we need to do honestly, is create a PC Engine/Turbo Grafx-16 Fair-Price-Guide

This would be tits!

technozombie

Some sort of guide to dispel some of the rarity myths might be a worthwhile endeavor even if it doesn't include prices.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: galam on 03/12/2015, 05:20 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/12/2015, 05:16 PMwhat we need to do honestly, is create a PC Engine/Turbo Grafx-16 Fair-Price-Guide

LOL. i would love to see the debate that this would facilitate
We have the most pull, being the yknow, only functional forum.

and FB group full of police that de-retard the retards.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

The only other forum based price guide that I know of is NeoGeo.com's and it failed. Plus I doubt resellers would take it seriously since they "obviously know better."

This has become a club for the rich only where normal Joes like us aren't invited since we play and appreciate our games and systems. How dare us!

The new guy or gal that wants to jump on board this band wagon is seriously screwed thanks to high and mighty resellers. I feel so bad for them.

technozombie

GoldenWheels

Quote from: technozombie on 03/12/2015, 05:41 PMSome sort of guide to dispel some of the rarity myths might be a worthwhile endeavor even if it doesn't include prices.
Seems like a much more useful and doable idea to me, a la the way Atari stuff is ranked.

Prices change and fluctuate, and someone would have to keep up on that faithfully to make the price guide worth a damn, if anyone could ever agree on the values.

But a rarity ranking of the library once done is....done (maybe you add homebrews as released if you are so inclined). Unless case recyclers use up so much Power Golf it actually becomes rare!

EvilEvoIX

Who are the people paying eBay prices?  I mean they are so off the chart but they keep popping up so someone keeps buying them?  The sad thing is shirt of destroying the internet there is no way to stop this.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NecroPhile

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/13/2015, 10:40 AMWho are the people paying eBay prices?  I mean they are so off the chart but they keep popping up so someone keeps buying them?  The sad thing is shirt of destroying the internet there is no way to stop this.
I like shirts.

poponon

A shirt of destroying the internet sounds pretty cool

LostFlunky

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/13/2015, 10:40 AMWho are the people paying eBay prices?  I mean they are so off the chart but they keep popping up so someone keeps buying them?  The sad thing is shirt of destroying the internet there is no way to stop this.
In some cases it is the sellers themselves buying it, to create an illusion of normalcy...

Gentlegamer

Yes don't underestimate shill bidding to prop up the "value."
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

technozombie

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/13/2015, 11:26 AMYes don't underestimate shill bidding to prop up the "value."
I'm convinced this is a much bigger problem than people give it credit for.