10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What year did you first start gaming on the PC Engine/Turbografx??

Started by erik, 09/12/2010, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vecanti

Right after Christmas 1990.  I had never even heard of the TurboGrafx.  I had money after Christmas so I was going to go buy a Genesis($129 I think), but my friend told me I need to get a TurboGrafx.  I was like what the hell is that?  Then I went to the store and saw one ($149) and saw the HuCards and I bought it.

One of the better decisions I've made.  I had a Nintendo Power from 1989 and on the back cover it had an ad for the Turbo, but I never even noticed it until after I bought one.

benevicious

2011 will be when I start gaming on a real PC engine.

As a kid the TG-16 was way out of our price range so we were a sega/nintendo household. I started hearing about the PC engine again on shooter forums and kept it in the back of my mind.

After spending some time with an emulator I decided I need to start collecting/playing this system. I have a stack of Hucards ready and waiting (Download, Final Soldier etc), and will be picking up one of those nice RGB Duo-r's after the new year :).

Also, by then I should have my arcade stick modded to work with any kind of system via rj-45. Should make for a great January.

Joe Redifer

1991 for me, about May of 1991 in fact when I graduated high school.  I had rented the Turbo console one or two times before that and a friend of mine owned the console and the CD unit, but that doesn't count.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

JapanTokei

1989 - played the PCE at friends houses while I lived in Taipei, Taiwan
1990 - drooled at the US version, aka TG16  :mrgreen:     gamed on a US SMS to get me by.
1991 - TG16 purchased.  Xmas 1991 - CD addrom received from my awesome mommy.  bought Sherlock Holmes with it.
1992 - january - mom brings back Super System Card from a taiwan trip.  I ended up waiting 3 months to get a Purple barney delivered from some EGM mag ad shop.  Gate of Thunder in full force!
1993 - moved onto the PC
1995 - sold everything on the Turbolist or the Turbopages (dont recall the site exactly)

1995 - 2008 - life takes over.

2009 - got the itch, bought boxed PCE DUOR at Tokyo on a business trip.  Then a SCD addon loosey. 
2010 - full redemption of the time-lost, slowly and steadily get everything back and then some  :mrgreen:

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: benevicious on 11/17/2010, 05:54 PM2011 will be when I start gaming on a real PC engine.

As a kid the TG-16 was way out of our price range so we were a sega/nintendo household. I started hearing about the PC engine again on shooter forums and kept it in the back of my mind.

After spending some time with an emulator I decided I need to start collecting/playing this system. I have a stack of Hucards ready and waiting (Download, Final Soldier etc), and will be picking up one of those nice RGB Duo-r's after the new year :).

Also, by then I should have my arcade stick modded to work with any kind of system via rj-45. Should make for a great January.
awesome!!!  hope you enjoy that duo r.  def the right choice of a system.  the rx is good too but for the money duo r is the way to go.  you should prolly pick up an ave 6, 6 button controllers as well. dont forget to pick up an arcade card so u could play all cd games.  if ya have any questions lemme or anyone know cause were all cool here and willing to help out!!
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

TurbografxKid

I'm not sure what year it was. I was stuck in front of the TV playing my Turbo Grafx 16.  :-s
I do know that it was before the Turbo Duo came out. I was waiting for and anticipating the launch of the Duo. I was reading about the Duo in video game magazines and drooling all over them. That is when I was not playing the TG16.

I walked into a Toys-R-Us to purchase my TG16. And I still have the 19" Sanyo CRT that I used and I am still playing the TG16 on it!

kenomac78

92. could only get 1 system per year and so when it hit $50 it was easy to convince mom!

goombakid

I got my TG16 on March 29, 1991. I still had a label I made the day I bought it in that extension bay cover! I actually remember throwing a fit because I couldn't get it the first time around. When they added Bonk's Adventure in as a pack-in game, I was able to come up with part of the money so my mom would shell out the rest.

I still can remember playing Bonk for hours on end, trying to find every single secret in the game.

I've been trying for the longest to get the CD attachment to it, but finally gave up and just got a PCE Duo just recently.

Lilgrafx

I just recently picked mine up about six months ago. I'm a bit younger than most people here as I grew up with the 64. I learned about the system through spida1a and Happy console gamer, I instantly fell in love with the system. It just has a charm that makes it so fun to collect and play for.

gekioh

My first experience with a Turbo Grafx was way back in like 1991 or 92' at a store called Incredible Univers in Wilsonville, OR. Now its called Fry's Electronics, anyways I was hooked, and every subsequent trip to my local Fred Myers' store who also had a TG-16 demo unit set up thing resulted in me playing while my mom shopped. I finaly got my own console in 2001 when I bought it off a friend. I paid $100 for it with 14 games(all Hu's) and 2 controllers and the multi tap. 2 years later I bought a TG-16 and CD Rom set up for $50 with 2 controllers and 15 games. That was I have to this day.

gekioh

MottZilla

The first time I played PCE was via emulation with MagicEngine sometime in 2000 or 2001 most likely. The reason being I was a fan of Castlevania and had read about Dracula X on the internet. Sometime I guess maybe in late 2005 or more likely in 2006 I bought a boxed PC-Engine DUO. Basically I just wanted to play games like Dracula X on the real deal. I think the only HuCards I bought were Street Fighter II and the Arcade Card DUO. I just burned CD-Rs I'll admit. Then sometime in late 2006 I decided to sell it. I forget now what I wanted the money for now. And part of my reasoning was that the Xbox could emulate it. And it probably didn't help that I didn't have the money or want to spend the money to get various HuCard games.

But recently I was looking for something to get to play with and the contenders were a Famicom Disk System (It's pretty cool too), the 3Ds when it comes out (shiney new consoles are fun), probably some other things that crossed my mind..., and the PC-Engine. Since my last and first PC-Engine, I'd bought a nice RGB monitor and gotten SCART RGB cables for my SNES, Genesis, Saturn, and PS1 so when browsing ebay awhile back I was very tempted to buy a great looking DUO-R that was RGB modded. But I didn't bite. Then when I looked later they were all gone. While being tempted to buy the FDS I checked for DUO stuff and saw another.

I gave it some thought and big surprise, I decided I'd rather buy and collect PC-Engine stuff than FDS stuff. It didn't help the FDS's case that I have the NES PowerPAK so I have my Nintendo 8-bit addiction covered. Meanwhile I have no PCE/TG16 hardware at all. And just giving a quick thought about the DUO I knew I could get Lords of Thunder, Dracula X, and Super Raiden which are all games that I think are top notch titles for all time. Meanwhile the FDS the top titles I think of are also on US carts I own or could buy like Zelda, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, etc. So the FDS lost out, while it is nifty the PC-Engine is more appealing especially since while I plan to build a neat collection of HuCards and CD-ROMs this time around, some CD-Rs can tide me over until then.

The only bad thing I can think of is that it's not so simple to play Turbo Chips on a Japanese console which is a bit of a bummer as I'd like to play things like Neutopia which I think it helps to be able to read the in game text. Not sure I'd be too comfortable opening an expensive DUO-R and soldering things or cutting traces. I was thinking if I ever do anything I'd rather do the pin 29 thing but then use a converter rather than mess with the card slot.

So now I'm going to be waiting on my DUO-R to show up. Definitely excited to be again adding a PC-Engine to my collection.

JapanTokei

Mottzilla - you made the absolutely right choice to collect PCE vs FDS :)   It is a wonderful system to get into.  the history is so super interesting too, with all the varieties of add-ons, etc.  Check out Henrycsc's posts on the poster of the PCE/TG linage. 

Quote from: MottZilla on 12/15/2010, 03:07 AMThe first time I played PCE was via emulation with MagicEngine sometime in 2000 or 2001 most likely. The reason being I was a fan of Castlevania and had read about Dracula X on the internet. Sometime I guess maybe in late 2005 or more likely in 2006 I bought a boxed PC-Engine DUO. Basically I just wanted to play games like Dracula X on the real deal. I think the only HuCards I bought were Street Fighter II and the Arcade Card DUO. I just burned CD-Rs I'll admit. Then sometime in late 2006 I decided to sell it. I forget now what I wanted the money for now. And part of my reasoning was that the Xbox could emulate it. And it probably didn't help that I didn't have the money or want to spend the money to get various HuCard games.

But recently I was looking for something to get to play with and the contenders were a Famicom Disk System (It's pretty cool too), the 3Ds when it comes out (shiney new consoles are fun), probably some other things that crossed my mind..., and the PC-Engine. Since my last and first PC-Engine, I'd bought a nice RGB monitor and gotten SCART RGB cables for my SNES, Genesis, Saturn, and PS1 so when browsing ebay awhile back I was very tempted to buy a great looking DUO-R that was RGB modded. But I didn't bite. Then when I looked later they were all gone. While being tempted to buy the FDS I checked for DUO stuff and saw another.

I gave it some thought and big surprise, I decided I'd rather buy and collect PC-Engine stuff than FDS stuff. It didn't help the FDS's case that I have the NES PowerPAK so I have my Nintendo 8-bit addiction covered. Meanwhile I have no PCE/TG16 hardware at all. And just giving a quick thought about the DUO I knew I could get Lords of Thunder, Dracula X, and Super Raiden which are all games that I think are top notch titles for all time. Meanwhile the FDS the top titles I think of are also on US carts I own or could buy like Zelda, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, etc. So the FDS lost out, while it is nifty the PC-Engine is more appealing especially since while I plan to build a neat collection of HuCards and CD-ROMs this time around, some CD-Rs can tide me over until then.

The only bad thing I can think of is that it's not so simple to play Turbo Chips on a Japanese console which is a bit of a bummer as I'd like to play things like Neutopia which I think it helps to be able to read the in game text. Not sure I'd be too comfortable opening an expensive DUO-R and soldering things or cutting traces. I was thinking if I ever do anything I'd rather do the pin 29 thing but then use a converter rather than mess with the card slot.

So now I'm going to be waiting on my DUO-R to show up. Definitely excited to be again adding a PC-Engine to my collection.

nikdog

Not to say that the PC-Engine wasn't the right choice, but Zelda on the FDS sounds wayyyyyy better then the cart version. FM Synth Zelda > regular Zelda, even with the loading for dungeons.
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

Jared4781

It was around 1991 and I would always play the TG-16 setup at the Toys R Us here.
Finally the price for the base turbo went down to $99 and that did it for my mom, she purchased one for me.
Soon after Toys R Us begin clearing out their stock and I grabbed a Turbo Express and games.
Then I got an offer in the mail from TTi about trading in your TG-16 for a Duo for a small fee.
My awesome mom once again agreed and we did the trade. I still have all of it to this day.
always looking to buy mint turbo games. hit me up if you've got some!

MottZilla

Quote from: nikdog on 01/09/2011, 08:17 AMNot to say that the PC-Engine wasn't the right choice, but Zelda on the FDS sounds wayyyyyy better then the cart version. FM Synth Zelda > regular Zelda, even with the loading for dungeons.
The RetroZone PowerPAK allows me to play the Disk version with the FDS sound channel. I can't say I was blown away by it. Don't get me wrong, if I had money to collect for both systems right now I would. But for now I'd rather focus on the PC-Engine games I want.

Eltigro

I don't remember the exact year, but it was when I was still in High School so it was probably about 90 or 91.  My parents got it for me for Christmas.  We lived in East Texas and they drove to Shreveport to find one.  We had a shop in the local mall, a McDuff's Electronics, that sold them, but I told my parents about a special deal package that came with a coupon for a free game.  They had to call around and then go to Louisiana to find a store that had the coupon package.  I ordered Blazing Lazers as my free game, and I also got The Legendary Axe that Christmas.  Anyway, I still have the same TurboGrafx and box to this day.

Later on, I added more games and accessories via shop closings, clearance deals, pawn shops, ebay, and TZDirect.

IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

Xmas 1990. Word!

In the 90s (94 through 98 or 99, can't remember anymore) I ran a dialup BBS (remember those?) in the Seattle area. I didn't have any actual friends with Turbos, but one of my BBS users who lived downtown had a Turbo and we'd trade Turbo games back and forth periodically. We'd meet up at Red Robin once every 4-6 months and trade. I once traded him Pac-Land for Bonk 3, this was right after Bonk 3 came out. I hadn't even HEARD of the game yet, but he already owned it. It was because of this trade that I ended up buying a copy for $49.99 from TZD shortly thereafter.

I haven't talked to that guy in 10 or 12 years, I wonder if he's still around and if he's still got his Turbo....

Back to the topic at hand, though I got my first Turbo in 1990 I didn't get a TG-CD deck until 1997. They were just too expensive. I ended up selling that deck to Black Tiger three or four years ago when I finally bought a Duo.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Quote from: nat on 02/20/2011, 07:30 PMXmas 1990. Word!

In the 90s (94 through 98 or 99, can't remember anymore) I ran a dialup BBS (remember those?) in the Seattle area. I didn't have any actual friends with Turbos, but one of my BBS users who lived downtown had a Turbo and we'd trade Turbo games back and forth periodically.
Word. :)

I didn't know what a BBS was in 1991, but my friend's family subscribed to Prodigy and we loved the message boards. We mostly concentrated on music, but I was allowed to occasionally venture into the realm of video games.

I still remember asking my friend, "How does this work? Who has access to this? How much does your dad pay? Why can't I LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE?"

I couldn't believe that there were actual TG-16 fans posting messages in computerland.

rag-time4

Quote from: Eltigro on 02/19/2011, 05:27 PMI don't remember the exact year, but it was when I was still in High School so it was probably about 90 or 91.  My parents got it for me for Christmas.  We lived in East Texas and they drove to Shreveport to find one.  We had a shop in the local mall, a McDuff's Electronics, that sold them, but I told my parents about a special deal package that came with a coupon for a free game.  They had to call around and then go to Louisiana to find a store that had the coupon package.  I ordered Blazing Lazers as my free game, and I also got The Legendary Axe that Christmas.  Anyway, I still have the same TurboGrafx and box to this day.

Later on, I added more games and accessories via shop closings, clearance deals, pawn shops, ebay, and TZDirect.

IMG
Shreveport, home of the great Stromile Swift!

Welcome aboard the forum Eltigro!

GAUGE

In November of 1989, I remember seeing the TurboGrafx-16 in the display case next to the Sega Genesis at the local Montgomery-Ward. It looked interesting, but I didn't know any of the games and the Sega had all these arcade titles available - so I chose the Sega.

Then later that month, I started reading about the PC Engine in the first EGM I ever bought (#4). It really looked amazing. I remember seeing the white little console with a copy of Vigilante and the unique card-based software format. EGM talked about how the PC Engine already had dozens of games out that were potentially a built in library for the Turbo to choose from.

While I was generally happy with my Genesis, I was very interested in learning more about the Turbo and read a lot about the system in EGM through the spring and summer of 1990. Finally, after saving up some cash, I decided to pick up a TurboGrafx with Bonk. I'm so glad I did. There's just something about the graphics and gameplay on the Turbo that I still, to this day, can't quite put my finger on - it just seems to be more vibrant and responsive than most other systems. Bonk showed this off perfectly. Tunes from Keith Courage and Bonk always remind me of that summer. 

The following summer I saved enough to buy the CD-ROM attachment and Ys I & II. After reading about it in EGM, my expectations were very high. Ed Semrad (one of the reviewers, who I trusted for good reviews) said "the perfect game finally happened." I fully agree. Even today, it's a game I never get bored with. It's so unique and easy to pick up. The story, graphics and cinema cut-scenes blend perfectly. That whole summer was spent playing Ys and Legendary Axe.

So those were my initial, favorite Turbo moments. Those moments have really stuck with me. So much so, that it's been the only system I've never sold.

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: GAUGE on 02/23/2011, 04:34 PMYs Even today, it's a game I never get bored with. It's so unique and easy to pick up. The story, graphics and cinema cut-scenes blend perfectly. That whole summer was spent playing Ys and Legendary Axe.

So those were my initial, favorite Turbo moments. Those moments have really stuck with me. So much so, that it's been the only system I've never sold.
thats awesome!!! story!  Its the only system I never got rid of but I worked all summer to get my tg/cd and ys copy but man was it worth it and it blew my mind as well!  Welcome to the forum!

GAUGE

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 02/23/2011, 08:17 PMthats awesome!!! story!  Its the only system I never got rid of but I worked all summer to get my tg/cd and ys copy but man was it worth it and it blew my mind as well!  Welcome to the forum!
Hey man, thanks! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to spend all that cash on the CD-ROM attachment back in the day.

Mathius

Quote from: GAUGE on 02/23/2011, 09:59 PM
Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 02/23/2011, 08:17 PMthats awesome!!! story!  Its the only system I never got rid of but I worked all summer to get my tg/cd and ys copy but man was it worth it and it blew my mind as well!  Welcome to the forum!
Hey man, thanks! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to spend all that cash on the CD-ROM attachment back in the day.
I didn't get a CD attachment bitd but I remember that gigantic box sitting in stores. Now I have one, and I am one of the few forum members who plays exclusively on a Turbo-CD unit (I think). Most peeps here play on Duos.

GAUGE

I still have my Turbo-CD and original Turbo and will play them sometimes, but I usually play on a region-switching Core Grafx and "suitcase" CD-ROM, with an Arcade Card. I just prefer the look of that set up over the Duo - I know, weird.

And yeah, those boxes were HUGE. Wish I still had mine, but it would have taken up the majority of my closet when I was a kid. I'm still not sure why they were so big, was the size of a mini-fridge... I remember being so excited about bringing that huge box home.

turbokon

We got our turbografx back in 91 around Christmas time. Me and brothers been bugging dad for weeks for it and he finally took to Montgomery wards and we picked it up for 99.99. One of the most exciting day my life.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 02/23/2011, 11:43 PM
I didn't get a CD attachment bitd but I remember that gigantic box sitting in stores. Now I have one, and I am one of the few forum members who plays exclusively on a Turbo-CD unit (I think). Most peeps here play on Duos.
I still use my original TG-CD, but I also use a SuperCD and US/JP Duo's to evenly distribute the wear and tear.

:)

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 02/26/2011, 01:33 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 02/23/2011, 11:43 PM
I still use my original TG-CD, but I also use a SuperCD and US/JP Duo's to evenly distribute the wear and tear.

That's my goal for the future. I want to get a Famicom Disc System replacement first before I throw any more money into the NEC console ring.

GAUGE

Quote from: esteban on 02/26/2011, 01:33 AMI still use my original TG-CD, but I also use a SuperCD and US/JP Duo's to evenly distribute the wear and tear.

I like this reasoning. Gives me an excuse to buy more than one system...  :mrgreen:

rodek

First time I ever played the tg was emulated on the computer like 10 years ago.

I've always dreamed of having the tg system but they never sold it near the small town I grew up in. I remember having a magazine article with showing a keyboard (protype) and trying to convince my parents to drive to a big city to buy it for me. Hah. never worked..(yeah mom, it's like a computer, it's got a keyboard, haha) =)

about 5 years ago I traded my old 55" tv to a game collector for a collection of systems and games..  one being the tg16 unit and 2 games, turbo express, and a coregrafx(no games) .(and whole wack of other gaming non nec stuff). After that point I was so excited to have one I started trying to collect all the hu cards and etc.   Fast forward to current time and I have 6 us cards left , 4 tg16's, multiple controllers, A tgcd unit, and lots of other stuff (rental cases, etc).

turbogirl

I first played TurboGrafx 16 when I applied for a job at NEC Technologies in Wood Dale (IL).  A friend and I both applied for the job and both got the job for a new Customer Service Helpline that was going to offer customer service for its newly launched game system, called the TurboGrafx 16.  I had played Nintendo before, and had Customer Service background, so I thought, how cool is that? On the job interview they asked all sore of questions, but I will never forget hat one of he questions was "What is a boss?" in a video game.  I remember thinking what a weird question, but I guess I answered correctly because 5 minutes later they invited me to work there, and my training day was going to consist of playing the game that came with the system, Keith Courage.   Wouldn't you know I came to hate that game because I got stuck on one level and couldn't pass the level.  One of the Gamer Guys secretly put in a code they knew , probably taking pity on me, since I was new.  He opened up a whole new world to me because I didn't know about codes before that!I realized that our job was to play all the games!  I was like, how wild is this?  Best job ever! I will never forget playing my first game, even if it was Keith Courage because it was the start of the best 3 years of my life!  : ) 

turbogirl

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: turbogirl on 02/27/2011, 09:43 PMI first played TurboGrafx 16 when I applied for a job at NEC Technologies in Wood Dale (IL).  A friend and I both applied for the job and both got the job for a new Customer Service Helpline that was going to offer customer service for its newly launched game system, called the TurboGrafx 16.  I had played Nintendo before, and had Customer Service background, so I thought, how cool is that? On the job interview they asked all sore of questions, but I will never forget hat one of he questions was "What is a boss?" in a video game.  I remember thinking what a weird question, but I guess I answered correctly because 5 minutes later they invited me to work there, and my training day was going to consist of playing the game that came with the system, Keith Courage.   Wouldn't you know I came to hate that game because I got stuck on one level and couldn't pass the level.  One of the Gamer Guys secretly put in a code they knew , probably taking pity on me, since I was new.  He opened up a whole new world to me because I didn't know about codes before that!I realized that our job was to play all the games!  I was like, how wild is this?  Best job ever! I will never forget playing my first game, even if it was Keith Courage because it was the start of the best 3 years of my life!  : )   
LOL wow I would of killed for that job as a kid.  good for you!

nat

Was it level 4? I got stuck on that level 4 boss for ages when I was a kid. Summer of '91 I wrote a letter to your customer service department (probably the same department you worked in) asking how to beat him. While I waited for a response, I actually figured it out on my own.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

henrycsc

Welcome aboard turbogirl!  It's great to now have two former NEC employees as members here!

You and malicedoom should start a thread of insider stories.

Did you have any particularly funny or strange customer support issues?  Like somebody needing to know what a boss was?  LOL
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

War Pig

1990.  Got it for my 13th Birthday.  I put the system away when I went off to college, and sold it at a yard sale before I moved to NJ 6 years ago.  Damn....that was dumb.  Because now I'm back into it, and I've had to reacquire everything that I once had.

PunkCryborg

The first time I ever played it was at a game store after I got my SNES in 1990. It was bonk and I remember thinking "man this sucks" compared to my snes.
Then a couple of years later, my friend's mom had a video game store and he could bring home any opened items. One day he brought home a Duo and we played Super Air Zonk, we played it for about 30 minutes. After agreeing on it sucking we went back to playing some Mad Dog Mcgree on the 3do for some reason or another.
I found my TG-16 at a thrift store for a couple of bucks about 5 years ago
Now I feel bad for my past mistakes cause I love this shit  :oops:

NecroPhile

Quote from: War Pig on 02/28/2011, 03:31 PM1990.  Got it for my 13th Birthday.  I put the system away when I went off to college, and sold it at a yard sale before I moved to NJ 6 years ago.  Damn....that was dumb.  Because now I'm back into it, and I've had to reacquire everything that I once had.
You were dumb twice.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

billyh455

I got my Turbografx Christmas of '90. I don't remember if I saw it in EGM first or on display at Toys r Us, but I talked my parents into getting me the setup as a Christmas gift.  I only got a few games for it over the years, but they were pretty fun ones for the time. R-type: I can still only get to a certain point in this game and die repeatedly. Splatterhouse: this was awesomely gory for an eleven year old at the time and my dad almost didn't let me buy it.  Cratermaze: I played this one a lot. Bonk's Adventure and Revenge: what can I say, these were a blast to play. Takin it to the Hoop: meh, I had fun playing it back in the day though. Blazing Lazers: still one of my all time favorite games. I sold my Turbo stuff around the ps 1 era to get games for that system.

In about 2000 I bought a small collection off of a guy who had a beat to hell Duo, but had some sweet games with it like Y's 1+2, Y's 3, Air Zonk, Lords of Thunder, and a few others.  I found a number of great games and had a cool collection going but sold all that a couple of years later to help get out of debt. I don't regret doing that for an instance, but I do miss all the rare cool stuff I used to have.

About a month ago I watched a couple of videos on Youtube of vintage game reviews and had to get an old Turbo system again. It's just not the same on an emulator so I bought a Duo-R collection with a lot of loose Hucards, most of which require a little too much of the Japanese language for me, and have been trying to get some of the games I used to enjoy years ago.

Well, that's the short version of my Turbo story. I hope to keep my game collection this time around  :lol:

esteban

Quote from: turbogirl on 02/27/2011, 09:45 PMOops year was 1989.
Welcome, turbogirl. As someone else mentioned, feel free fondness any stories you remember from your job at NEC.

gekioh

Man you know what really sucks that I am just now realizing again, when I got my own Turbo in '2001, I remember coming across the TZD site several times and among other game selling site while vigorously searching for import games on Saturn. And I remember when games like SAZ, Bonk 3, Dynastic Hero etc etc were actually cheap, man who the hell woulda thought that id hate myself for not ever buying those games just cause i didnt have a cd set up till 2004, even then i still could have bought them, but was still way into SNES, Saturn and PS1(still am mind you).

Firebomber7

Not much to say really.
I definitely knew about the TG-16 from reading Gamepro since issue 1 and early EGM issues. I first played Keith Courage at a Toys 'R US when the system first came out, but that was it. When Bonk came out, one of my friend's friends got it for his TG-16. I remember playing it there for a few hours one day, and that was it for a LONG time. I always wanted to get into it more, but I'm from a small town in Canada. It literally was not for sale in any stores where I lived, and of course no game rental places had Turbo games. That made the choice between a Turbo and a Genesis pretty easy. I got a Genesis.

Fast forward to maybe 1996 or 1997. "The Dump", a cool emulator website around at that time, led me to Magic Engine. I spend quite a while playing all of the TG-16 games that I'd missed (as well as a lot of Shining Force II...). I familiarized myself with the TG library, but I wouldn't get one until 2007 or so when I was living in Japan. I picked up a PC Engine Duo for a great price, and would later buy/sell most of the various PC Engine incarnations (everything from the CG, to the Express and Shuttle and RX, but no LT...). I became a huge PC Engine fan in the process, and guys like Tatsujin from this site just fueled my interest in the system. It is not probably just shy of the Saturn as my favourite all time console. I would say that it definitely has more "charm" than any other system out there.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

Mathius

Quote from: Firebomber7 on 03/08/2011, 02:08 AMNot much to say really.
I definitely knew about the TG-16 from reading Gamepro since issue 1 and early EGM issues. I first played Keith Courage at a Toys 'R US when the system first came out, but that was it. When Bonk came out, one of my friend's friends got it for his TG-16. I remember playing it there for a few hours one day, and that was it for a LONG time. I always wanted to get into it more, but I'm from a small town in Canada. It literally was not for sale in any stores where I lived, and of course no game rental places had Turbo games. That made the choice between a Turbo and a Genesis pretty easy. I got a Genesis.

Fast forward to maybe 1996 or 1997. "The Dump", a cool emulator website around at that time, led me to Magic Engine. I spend quite a while playing all of the TG-16 games that I'd missed (as well as a lot of Shining Force II...). I familiarized myself with the TG library, but I wouldn't get one until 2007 or so when I was living in Japan. I picked up a PC Engine Duo for a great price, and would later buy/sell most of the various PC Engine incarnations (everything from the CG, to the Express and Shuttle and RX, but no LT...). I became a huge PC Engine fan in the process, and guys like Tatsujin from this site just fueled my interest in the system. It is not probably just shy of the Saturn as my favourite all time console. I would say that it definitely has more "charm" than any other system out there.
Charm is right sir! The NEC consoles in general had tons of charm that I could never ignore. Also, they are most definitely the most fascinating.

Jesse813

just started gaming on the PC Engine about 2 years ago, never knew about the system when I was younger back than i grew up w/ a SNES and was busy playing Super Mario World and DKC games, while i still love the SNES, I also now the PC Engine and its excellent selection of games :)

Mathius

Quote from: Jesse813 on 03/17/2011, 10:31 PMjust started gaming on the PC Engine about 2 years ago, never knew about the system when I was younger back than i grew up w/ a SNES and was busy playing Super Mario World and DKC games, while i still love the SNES, I also now the PC Engine and its excellent selection of games :)
The excellence only keeps getting more excellenter! Hee-hee :mrgreen:

SaturdayMorningRobots

My first NEC system was the TG-16 in 1989. I first learned of the TG-16's existence in a comic book Ad. My favorite game on the system back in the day was Legendary Axe 2, but I was also pretty fond of Silent Debuggers.

ddd1234

I had a Turbo duo with the following-

Dracula X
Gate of Thunder
Soldier blade
Super Star Soldier
Gunhed
Jackie Chan
Space harrier
Raiden
Bonk 1,2,3
Air Zonk
Super Air Zonk
Dungeon EXplorer II

I sold it all in order to get a Ps3 and some games. I fell for the hype..
OBEY TECH N9NE!