@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

3DS Preorders

Started by TheClash603, 12/28/2010, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

I went and plopped down my $50 at Gamestop today for a 3DS.  I don't know how many they will be taking, so if you are looking to get a 3DS, I recommend heading over there soon.

New Kid Icarus is going to be the best thing ever...  or make me sad.

turbogrfxfan

id like to see what kid ic looks like but im not getting a 3ds
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

BlueBMW

What was the final price on the 3DS?  I thought it was like $250 or something, which if that's true, I think its a little bit overpriced to get at launch. :P  I'll wait til it gets a bit cheaper.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheClash603

No final price announced.  Probably just a Gamestop ploy with Nintendo...  they will announce the system as $10,000 and no refunds on the preorders.  Nintendo and Gamestop split the $50 50-50 all the way to the bank.

Duo_R

They estimate between 250 and 300. I just got the black Friday Dsi bundle (orange) and debating if i should return it and get the 3DS. Not sure what u guys think?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/29/2010, 02:40 AMThey estimate between 250 and 300. I just got the black Friday Dsi bundle (orange) and debating if i should return it and get the 3DS. Not sure what u guys think?
return it, that Orange one is ass ugly.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Duo_R

I like the color......but the point was the fact that 3ds is around the corner.

SignOfZeta

There is usually some reason to keep old Nintendo hardware around, even if that reason isn't immediately obvious. I still have all my GBAs and DSs (except the first GBA, which sucked) because none of them are totally better than any other. The DSiXL is really nice, but its also too fucking big. Only the OG and Lite will let you play Metroid Pinball and Space Invaders Extreme with the rumble pack, the GBA Micro does't work with the eReader, etc. At this point you can get a DSi compatible flash cart for $8, where as there won't be one for a while for the 3DS.

I think the orange is really cool.

I don't really feel motivated to buy a 3DS right now. Partially its the price, but also I'm not too fired up about the launch games. I get one eventually though, and I'm sure I'll love it.
IMG

Duo_R

yeah your right Zeta, I actually have the following Nintendo Handhelds:

Gameboy Advance (afterburner modded) <-- great for my 2-year old
Gameboy Advance SP - NES Classic Edition
Gameboy DS Lite
Gameboy DSi (Orange)

And I really can't come to selling the older versions. I have the R4 for the DS Lite, anyone know which flash cart is the one to get for DSi?

Back on topic - I don't think I will get 3DS at launch, but I know I will get it at some point. I think I will do what I do every time Nintendo launches a new handheld, I will scoop up some deals on the prior generation and enjoy cheap games for a while.

SignOfZeta

For DSi I have a TTDSi and an AceKard and even between them there are still game that won't work. I never got Last Window to run. Generally I just pay for my games out of laziness since pirating shit it too much fucking work. For retail games you have to constantly stay on top of firmware releases and buy new cards when the old ones stop being supported, etc. For home brew and emulators...generally as long as your card will boot, it will run any homebrew.

I spent 4 hours last night trying (and eventually succeeding in) pirating a game I've owned for years and have finished twice; Super Robot Wars J (GBA). Now with English patch! I use an M3LiteMicroSD, BTW. The last thing I ran on this card with Mother 3, which I also own and had finished before. God bless fan translators.
IMG

nectarsis

Preorders without a set price=FAIL.  Launch lineup looks meh as a whole, estimated price is just to high IMO...def going to wait quiet awhile.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

I could give a shit about it right now, but even if I was interested I'd wait.  You just know that Nintendo will whip out a 3DS Lite with a better screen, improved battery life, etc. a year or so down the road, just in time for it to have a decent sized library of good games to pick from.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 12/29/2010, 03:04 PMI could give a shit about it right now, but even if I was interested I'd wait.  You just know that Nintendo will whip out a 3DS Lite with a better screen, improved battery life, etc. a year or so down the road, just in time for it to have a decent sized library of good games to pick from.
By that point Pit will have blown his load on me in 3D a hundred times.  I can't wait for that!

Duo_R

ok since I already had a DS and just bought a DSi, someone tell me that was a dipshit move....was it? :D

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah I'm gonna wait for atleast the 2nd model of 3DS, partially cuz of the price, but, partially just knowing Nintendo's portable history of improving things once a year.  However, there are atleast 3 games for it that I want, Bonk, FF7 Before Crisis, & Mega Man Legends 3.  If anything, I might buy those right when they come out & just hang on to them....though, for all I know, Square will release an even better version of Before Crisis for the PSP2, so, maybe I'll wait.
IMG

SignOfZeta

There is always something better in the pipe, that's just the way things are now. This is the 5th DS after all. You have do buy something at some point or just never buy at all. Never have an iPod, never have a car, never have a TV..."better" stuff is always coming.
IMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/30/2010, 06:45 AMNever have an iPod, never have a car, never have a TV..."better" stuff is always coming.
Tell me about it.... do they even sell DLP TVs anymore? :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

guyjin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/30/2010, 06:45 AMThere is always something better in the pipe, that's just the way things are now.
that's the way it's always been. Scribes were replaced by printing presses, wood tools were replaced by stone, and those were replaced with bronze, then iron, then steel...

TheClash603

Quote from: guyjin on 01/07/2011, 07:19 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/30/2010, 06:45 AMThere is always something better in the pipe, that's just the way things are now.
that's the way it's always been. Scribes were replaced by printing presses, wood tools were replaced by stone, and those were replaced with bronze, then iron, then steel...
I'm not sure if I am ready for 4D :(

nectarsis

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/07/nintendo-3ds-battery-life-averages-3-5-hours-dsiware-can-be-moved-over/

Man I hope that battery life's with max brightness, wi-fi on, etc.  Sad for a non disc based system.  This things has more cons than pros for me the more I hear about it.

MotherGunner

I have played with the 3DS at work and while it's an impressive little handheld, I think I will wait for an inevitable 3DS XL.  The DS XL has really spoiled me.

Definitely keep your old hardware.  I still have my GBA Cobalt with the backlit screen and love it.  They are getting harder to find for a good price these days too.   A DSLite with the GBA port will be prized as well so if you have one hold on to that too.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

SignOfZeta

Quote from: nectarsis on 01/07/2011, 10:30 PMhttp://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/07/nintendo-3ds-battery-life-averages-3-5-hours-dsiware-can-be-moved-over/

Man I hope that battery life's with max brightness, wi-fi on, etc.  Sad for a non disc based system.  This things has more cons than pros for me the more I hear about it.
Yeah, that's pretty terrible for sure. Battery life really peaked in the 90s when the Wonderswan and Neo Geo Pocket came out. A friend of mind did a battery life test with a Neo Geo Pocket Color (original style) running Metal Slug Second Mission at max volume and got over 55 hours out of the thing on two Energizers. This was the same era when Sony was getting 70-100 hours out of their high end Minidisc players. Our standards sure have changed. I guess we can blame smart phones, mostly.

On the plus side I'm really glad they aren't being dicks about moving your DSiWare stuff around. I have a lot of those games and I want to keep them for as long as possible.
IMG

Duo_R

MG You like the DSi XL? I hear that the games don't really look better, just the pixels are farther spread out. I played with one for a little bit and funny to say but it just seems too big.

BlueBMW

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/08/2011, 12:41 AMI guess we can blame smart phones, mostly.
Haha isn't that the truth.  Although comparatively speaking... my smartphone is as powerful as my PC was in 2000.  That old desktop had to have sucked down a few hundred watts.  I guess if you compare computing output vs power consumption we have got to be ahead of the game today :P

On the 3DS, yeah 3-5 hours seems a little weak when we've been spoiled by better.  That's getting awful close to Turbo Express / Game Gear battery life :lol:

Mathius

I think I'll get a blue DSiXL first. My hands are a little arthritic anyway, so the bigger DS will be a lot easier on them. Regardless, I still want a 3DS. I just don't know when I'll pick one up.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/08/2011, 03:08 AMMG You like the DSi XL? I hear that the games don't really look better, just the pixels are farther spread out. I played with one for a little bit and funny to say but it just seems too big.
It looks better for sure, at least IMO. I'm probably never going to own one though as I don't like big things. The thing is just too big closed to fit in the sort of pocket I can currently fit my DSi in.
IMG

MotherGunner

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/08/2011, 03:08 AMMG You like the DSi XL? I hear that the games don't really look better, just the pixels are farther spread out. I played with one for a little bit and funny to say but it just seems too big.
They look fine to me.  I guess it comes down to user preference.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

nat

I have a DSi, and I love it, but I'm really upset they removed the GBA cartridge slot. My wife has a DSlite with a GBA slot, so we have a number of GBA games, but I can't play them on mine because of it. It seems like they removed it for no good reason.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

I think they removed it just to save a few cents. There hasn't been an official GBA release in ages anyway, so the thing would be largely unused.

The best way to play GBA is either the SP2 or the Micro anyway. The cart sticking out of the DS Lite is...out of wack, IMO.
IMG

TheClash603

SP2 is where it's at.

Micro makes my hands cramp up.

SignOfZeta

Odd, I get more cramped from the SP. Its a bigger device, but not in any way that relates to holding it. Your hands have to be closer together use use the SP.

I love both the Micro and the SP though.
IMG

Mathius

Yeah, the SP will definitely contribute to someone getting "Narled-Claw Syndrome."

nectarsis

SignOfZeta

That's not really surprising. Its amazing handhelds have been region free all this time.
IMG

NecroPhile

Outside of online extras (where the region could be set via a software setting), I fail to see the point of region locking nowadays - if I want to play a Japanese game, I'm gonna have to buy it, so why do they care?  Even for thwarting bootleggers it makes little sense, as there's nothing stopping them from getting games from whatever region they want anyway.

SignOfZeta

Read this and try to apply it to the publishing world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tordesillas

That's pretty much why. Publishers want to sell things in different regions for different prices with different features and levels of localization and censorship. They get in a big room and divide the world up into pieces on a map and decide who gets what. If you can import/export whatever you want, you thwart this.
IMG

NecroPhile

That sounds good in theory, but if publishers were clamoring for region lockout to be added to the 3DS then I'd think more PSP/PS3 games would have their optional region lockout enabled.

DragonmasterDan

Just on a side note, besides gamestop. Toys R us is taking deposits on them as well.
--DragonmasterDan

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2011, 04:32 PMThat sounds good in theory, but if publishers were clamoring for region lockout to be added to the 3DS then I'd think more PSP/PS3 games would have their optional region lockout enabled.
Regardless of the logic/effectiveness of it, this is why region lockouts exist.

Is there an optional region lock-out on PSP? If there is I've never seen it used on a game (but always used on movies). As for PS3...I don't know if there is any point in fragmenting that pathetic system's sales. Everyone should be happy with what they get.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/12/2011, 02:43 AMRegardless of the logic/effectiveness of it, this is why region lockouts exist.

Is there an optional region lock-out on PSP? If there is I've never seen it used on a game (but always used on movies). As for PS3...I don't know if there is any point in fragmenting that pathetic system's sales. Everyone should be happy with what they get.
No, there's no region lock-out on the PSP.

Also as far as PS3 goes, I'm aware of a region lock only for Blu-Rays, not for PS3 game discs themselves. Where did you hear there's an optional one, if there is it's news to me.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/12/2011, 07:35 AMNo, there's no region lock-out on the PSP.
Wrong, though there's only one game that uses it - Battlezone.

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/12/2011, 07:35 AMAlso as far as PS3 goes, I'm aware of a region lock only for Blu-Rays, not for PS3 game discs themselves.
Games can be region locked by using the standard Blu-Ray region system, though only one game has been locked so far; I can't remember the name of the title, but it was locked because it included a movie on the disc.

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/12/2011, 07:35 AMWhere did you hear there's an optional one, if there is it's news to me.
I learned of 'em about a month back when I bought a PSP and was doing a little online research.  Search teh interweb tubes and ye shall find! 

SignOfZeta

I remember hearing something about it early in the system's life.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2011, 10:24 AMGames can be region locked by using the standard Blu-Ray region system, though only one game has been locked so far; I can't remember the name of the title, but it was locked because it included a movie on the disc.
From what I recall only the movie which was a separate disc was region locked, but I could be wrong.
--DragonmasterDan

nectarsis

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/12/2011, 12:37 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/12/2011, 10:24 AMGames can be region locked by using the standard Blu-Ray region system, though only one game has been locked so far; I can't remember the name of the title, but it was locked because it included a movie on the disc.
From what I recall only the movie which was a separate disc was region locked, but I could be wrong.
I'd have to look to be sure..but he may be meaning Stranglehold as it also has the movie Hardboiled on the same disc in the Collector's version.

NecroPhile

Quote from: nectarsis on 01/12/2011, 12:40 PMI'd have to look to be sure..but he may be meaning Stranglehold as it also has the movie Hardboiled on the same disc in the Collector's version.
Yep, that's the one.

ParanoiaDragon

IIRC, PS1 & PS2 games on regionlocked on the PS3, which is a bummer, I do have a few Jp games for both.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2011, 12:41 PM
Quote from: nectarsis on 01/12/2011, 12:40 PMI'd have to look to be sure..but he may be meaning Stranglehold as it also has the movie Hardboiled on the same disc in the Collector's version.
Yep, that's the one.
There's a game that has Hardboiled on it?

Shit.

I'm not sure if that's genius or sacrilege.
IMG

nectarsis

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/13/2011, 04:10 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/12/2011, 12:41 PM
Yep, that's the one.
There's a game that has Hardboiled on it?

Shit.

I'm not sure if that's genius or sacrilege.
Well the game is a "sequel" to Hardboiled (IIRC John Woo had a big hand in it's development).

SignOfZeta

So its probably sacrilege then.

(explanation of joke: I have seen newer John Woo movies, and also games based on HK properties.)
IMG