Super CDRom2 low/static sound....caps?

Started by pixeljunkie, 01/15/2011, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

I have a Super CDRom2 that the audio is slightly lower and contains static. When I plug my audio/video cable into the actual Coregrafx the sound is loud and clear. I assume this is a caps issue similar to the Duo? Has anyone modded/fixed this before?

Akraten

I have the same issue with mine , any help would be great

Keith Courage

I just replaced all the caps on my super CDrom2 and the audio is still slightly distorted when the drive is warming up. Takes about 3 minutes to go away. So the caps are not the problem. Also, I to can just plug the AV straight to the core grafx and the problem goes away. I wonder why this is? I almost wish the audio was distorted all the time so I could track the sound on the audio circuit. Since the problem only lasts for 3 minutes I have to stop trying and wait a whole day to try again  ](*,)

farankoshan

"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

Keith Courage

I got it figured out finally. Turns out that the main 1000UF 25V cap that I changed was no good. I guess that's what I get for buying super cheap capacitors.

farankoshan

Quote from: Keith Courage on 10/10/2011, 03:25 PMI got it figured out finally. Turns out that the main 1000UF 25V cap that I changed was no good. I guess that's what I get for buying super cheap capacitors.
Good of you, Keith, to investigate & narrow down the problem. ;) Good find!
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

Fidde_se

IMG

Can only confirm what other's already found, this cap the C301 (1000uF) always seems to leak and continue to give low volume problem even after a full recap if this isn't cleaned good.

The picture shows the under side where this line goes all the way to the separate audio board,
and it's under UV light and revealing the electrolyte as a dark/purple tone, the board is luckily not
damaged the blackness goes away when cleaned (if you're lucky) unlike when looking on battery leakage on Amiga 500 backup cap on the external memory board....

Look in the middle beside the two resistors, four vias.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

gtsamour

Its really not very easy to change the caps on the cdrom2 unit. Since you decide to go into this trouble, why not use really quality kit caps like the panasonic console5 sells... I only get kits from him.