10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Who designed the PC Engine consoles?

Started by GAUGE, 02/17/2011, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAUGE

From what I've gleaned, Hudson came up with the system architecture / software format, and NEC built the hardware, but did NEC also design the systems' outer casings?

Just curious, because for me, there are no better looking systems out there, past or present.

_Paul

Whoever did was a genius. The original white PC Engine is the most wonderful console design ever.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TurboXray

Yeah, I'd be interested to know who designed the outer shells/casings as well. Specifically, if it's a single person credited for and which said he/she worked on (NEC or Hudson).

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 01:11 PMWhoever did was a genius. The original white PC Engine is the most wonderful console design ever.
I agree completely.
IMG

_Paul

Whatever happened to console design? The Master System was sleek in its time, the Mega Drive looked fantastic...nobody is that innovative any more, they're all just boxes now.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 02:14 PMWhatever happened to console design? The Master System was sleek in its time, the Mega Drive looked fantastic...nobody is that innovative any more, they're all just boxes now.
hey, the PS3 has a nice curve to it, like a grilled cheese machine.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

The PS of shit is only good for making food-

IMG

I really need to get my hands on a PC Engine soon!  i love the look of it.  To think in 2007, I had a chance to snag up one with CD attachment and carrying case.  The owner didn't know if it worked or not, and it was pretty dirty looking.  All for only $30. 

Stupid stupid!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/17/2011, 02:33 PMTo think in 2007, I had a chance to snag up one with CD attachment and carrying case.  The owner didn't know if it worked or not, and it was pretty dirty looking.  All for only $30. 

Stupid stupid!
You passed up on a PCE, AND a PC-FX for cheapness.

DA HELL WRONG WIF YOU DOOD.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 02:37 PMYou passed up on a PCE, AND a PC-FX for cheapness.
I had a PCFX, and then sold it.  The PC Engine... I .... I have no excuse.  Other than at the time I already had the PC Engine Duo.....

That is no excuse.  I need to get my ass kicked.  My ass kicked right in the balls.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

nat

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/17/2011, 04:09 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 02:37 PMYou passed up on a PCE, AND a PC-FX for cheapness.
I had a PCFX, and then sold it.  The PC Engine... I .... I have no excuse.
He's talking about after that, when you didn't have one and a kind soul was selling them at record-breaking prices.  :-"
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NecroPhile

I don't know who designed it, but he did an awesome job.  As for the Turbografx, that must've been done by his slightly retarded little brother.

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/17/2011, 04:09 PMI had a PCFX, and then sold it.  The PC Engine... I .... I have no excuse.  Other than at the time I already had the PC Engine Duo.....

That is no excuse.  I need to get my ass kicked.  My ass kicked right in the balls.
Well, whenever that duo of yours needs audio caps, we could probably slip in a region mod at the same time to fulfill some of your PC engine needs :P  Or just get a Supergrafx and cover all bases.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/17/2011, 02:08 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 01:11 PMWhoever did was a genius. The original white PC Engine is the most wonderful console design ever.
I agree completely.
3rd that!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

grahf

The PCE consoles are awesome looking. The original white PC Engine is the best one of all.
The only thing I don't like is how the dpads are not centered.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 08:02 PMI don't know who designed it, but he did an awesome job.  As for the Turbografx, that must've been done by his slightly retarded little brother.
TG16 is bigger, and since I am an American, that means it is better.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: grahf on 02/17/2011, 11:13 PMThe only thing I don't like is how the dpads are not centered.
???

termis

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/18/2011, 07:05 AMTG16 is bigger, and since I am an American, that means it is better.
I don't think the TG16 is a bad looking system by any means (in fact, I think it stacks up pretty well aesthetically against almost any system out there), but if they were going to make it bigger, they should've at least added in a second contoller port & native composite support.  They didn't utilize any benefit of a bigger system.  Cheap bastards.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: termis on 02/18/2011, 09:13 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/18/2011, 07:05 AMTG16 is bigger, and since I am an American, that means it is better.
They didn't utilize any benefit of a bigger system.  Cheap bastards.
We's 'Merican.   We make em bigger, not better!

Mathius

The white PC Engine w/ Briefcase plus CD-ROM is one of the most beautifullest things I have ever laid eyes upon. Most definitely fap worthy. (That's my first official use of the term :P )

nat

I disagree. For some reason I think the whole IFU-30 setup is really chintzy looking. The all-black first generation US Duo, on the other hand....
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

turbokon

I like the turbografx 16 design better. No offense, the pc-engine looks like a kid toy, a good looking one at that.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 02/18/2011, 08:48 PMI disagree. For some reason I think the whole IFU-30 setup is really chintzy looking. The all-black first generation US Duo, on the other hand....
Yes, the U.S. Duo is mighty purdy. :)

termis

Quote from: turbokon on 02/18/2011, 10:35 PMI like the turbografx 16 design better. No offense, the pc-engine looks like a kid toy, a good looking one at that.
Though I like the PCE setup better, there is some truth to the toy comment.

And yeah, the I also think the US duo is one of the best looking setups, prob an equal to the all-white IFU setup in my eyes.

esteban

Quote from: termis on 02/18/2011, 10:45 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 02/18/2011, 10:35 PMI like the turbografx 16 design better. No offense, the pc-engine looks like a kid toy, a good looking one at that.
I have argued that the U.S. TG-CD + TG-16 combo was a more coherent, aesthetically pleasing hunk of plastic than the IFU, which looks like it was cobbled together.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a certain charm to the IFU's gadgetry, but the IFU is purely utilitarian in its design, and thus purely utilitarian in its aesthetic, and does look like a bunch of Legos stacked together (I agree with nat).

The TG-CD, though you may find it ugly, comes across as an intentional design with an aesthetic that "seamlessly" and coherently linked all the hardware...

...into a titanic T-bone.

EDIT: Here is an old thread on console design that discusses a bunch of fun things. It was worth re-reading :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

I don't have time to really get into it right now, but as I've talked about in the past, I like the TG-16 design and a big part of that is how it fits into the PC Engine family. It totally looks to me that the same designer(s) of the PCE console(s) made the TG-16 shell. Whatever reasons forced it to become a SuperGrafx t-shape are what they are, but working around that the TG-16 looks very nice, especially the Turbo-CD combo. It would have been convenient to have had a TurboGrafx-style AV out that is compatible with Duo/PCE cables and an AC adaptor port that was not inside a removable shell, but cosmetically I love the TG-16.

I have always thought that the Turbo Express/PC Engine GT is the best looking and best designed console of all time. It looks exactly like R-Type, if it came to life as a console.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

awack

I read somewhere that the guy who designed the pc engine duo/turbo duo, went on to design furniture in Japan.

nat

Quote from: awack on 02/19/2011, 03:11 PMI read somewhere that the guy who designed the pc engine duo/turbo duo, went on to design furniture in Japan.
This is just screaming for a Photoshop that I have neither the inclination nor energy to create right now.

shubibiman

Quote from: awack on 02/19/2011, 03:11 PMI read somewhere that the guy who designed the pc engine duo/turbo duo, went on to design furniture in Japan.
A true designer should be able to design anything. ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

rag-time4

Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2011, 06:52 AM
Quote from: termis on 02/18/2011, 10:45 PM
I have argued that the U.S. TG-CD + TG-16 combo was a more coherent, aesthetically pleasing hunk of plastic than the IFU, which looks like it was cobbled together.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a certain charm to the IFU's gadgetry, but the IFU is purely utilitarian in its design, and thus purely utilitarian in its aesthetic, and does look like a bunch of Legos stacked together (I agree with nat).

The TG-CD, though you may find it ugly, comes across as an intentional design with an aesthetic that "seamlessly" and coherently linked all the hardware...

...into a titanic T-bone.

EDIT: Here is an old thread on console design that discusses a bunch of fun things. It was worth re-reading :) 
I disagree on the aesthetic of the PCE + IFU setup... to me it's much more futuristic than it is utilitarian. In fact, I think that even today it still looks futuristic.

On the topic of small consoles, what about Wii? Sure, the PS3 and XBOX 360 make mincemeat of the word 'slim', but the Wii is extremely compact. How does Wii compare to PCE size wise?

_Paul

Quote from: nat on 02/19/2011, 06:00 PM
This is just screaming for a Photoshop that I have neither the inclination nor energy to create right now.
/sittinginchair.jpg

turbokon

Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

SignOfZeta

QuoteThough I like the PCE setup better, there is some truth to the toy comment.
Yes, there is some truth because it is a toy. Its a video game. Video games are for toys kids. Back then manufacturers knew this and tried to make their stuff appealing to kids instead of trying to placate a fragile sense of "maturity" in infantile 20-somethings.

QuoteI have argued that the U.S. TG-CD + TG-16 combo was a more coherent, aesthetically pleasing hunk of plastic than the IFU, which looks like it was cobbled together.
The "cobbled together" aspect is somewhat intentional. The whole "core" concept. IMO the TG-16+CD is looks much more cobbled together though, and unintentionally. In addition to the US CDROM just not looking like it was even made my the same people as the rest of the system, its behind the unit, up on a little pedestal, and in the center. Who the hell builds stuff that way? It couldn't look more tacked on if it were an aftermarket "continental" spare wheel on some ghetto fabulous Cadillac Brougham.

The only thing aesthetically coherent about the TG-16 is the way it blends in with the CDI, 3D0, 32X and Jag as being horrible ideas forged in black plastic that went onto total failures plugging up the flea markets of America.

In my next post I'll tell you how I really feel. :)
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/20/2011, 12:13 AMOn the topic of small consoles, what about Wii? Sure, the PS3 and XBOX 360 make mincemeat of the word 'slim', but the Wii is extremely compact. How does Wii compare to PCE size wise?
The unit itself is much bigger than a PCE, but much smaller than a PCE+IFU+CDROM. Unless I'm forgetting something is the smallest system with a full sized optical drive built in.

Wait, strike that, the CD-X is smaller, slightly.

The Wii also has four controller ports and two memory cars slots (for Cube compatibility) in addition to an SD card slot, two USB sockets, AV, power, and sensor bar jacks. Packaging wise, its fucking brilliant. Despite its "child-like" image/market it makes more money for its creators than the competition could even dream of, which makes me wonder why Sony and MS are so eager to run each other into the ground making gigantic, expensive, unreliable loss-leading refrigerator-sized bricks. I mean, MS has now made two systems that were each "superior" to what Nintendo was selling at the same time, but they are, IIRC, something like 10 BILLION USD in the hole on the whole "XBox" venture overall. Sony seems to fail more fantastically the more powerful the systems get. To me its painfully obvious they are headed in the wrong direction.

These guys, basically:
IMG

esteban

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/20/2011, 12:13 AMI disagree on the aesthetic of the PCE + IFU setup... to me it's much more futuristic than it is utilitarian. In fact, I think that even today it still looks futuristic.

On the topic of small consoles, what about Wii? Sure, the PS3 and XBOX 360 make mincemeat of the word 'slim', but the Wii is extremely compact. How does Wii compare to PCE size wise?
I'll defend TG-CD's honor later :)

As for the Wii vs. PCE...

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

I didn't put the rear cover on the original PCE.

The Wii looks much more "distinctive" on its stand (which holds it at an angle).

Zeta's right: lots of ports are hidden behind panels on the Wii, keeping a streamlined look without losing flexibility and convenience.

rag-time4

Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2011, 05:37 PM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/20/2011, 12:13 AMI disagree on the aesthetic of the PCE + IFU setup... to me it's much more futuristic than it is utilitarian. In fact, I think that even today it still looks futuristic.

I'll defend TG-CD's honor later :)

As for the Wii vs. PCE...

IMG
I didn't put the rear cover on the original PCE.
Poor PCE.... looks like someone left his jammies open!

Looks like he needs a bath too!

Btw, nice comparison shots!

esteban

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/21/2011, 10:51 PMPoor PCE.... looks like someone left his jammies open!

Looks like he needs a bath too!

Btw, nice comparison shots!
Yeah, I need to clean that dirty old PCE.