RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

ANIME, EWWW.

Started by Blasta_Mazta, 08/26/2005, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blasta_Mazta

it's ashame the pc-fx never was released in the us. i was looking at the section of the website which showed the system and its games and every single game seemed to have anime charactors. i guess anime is huge in japan and their are people in the u.s. who also like it, but i definately prefer the types of games which were on the turbo grafx. i abslolutely hate ANIME.

however, the system(i got my first look at it) looked phlavas. i always assumed, however, their were great games for it, like turbo grafx, but i didn't see one. doesn't every system released in japan plan to eventually release in the u.s.? they no intention of bringing that thing over here, which is really sad. not even a bomber man.

now, if i've gotten names screwed up, lemme know.

Keranu

Yes I agree, anime sucks. I can't really help on recomending PC-FX games for you since I've only played one, but I'm sure you would probably enjoy a game like Battle Heat, Chip Chan Kick, or Zenki, even though I haven't played them myself. Someone else like Aaron could probably help you here much better.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

lord_cack

I don't have a PC-FX but I would say that there look like there are more than a few good RPG's for it, if you don't mind the language barrier. Also that shooter for it looks amazing...can't recall the name. It is a fantastic looking machine however and it could have done more but again...poor marketing decisions.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

OldRover

Who knows...there may be some new games for the PC-FX sometime soon...in English...you never know......
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

jlued686

Is that a subtle hint?

OldRover

How did you...err I mean...I have no idea what you're talking about...
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Emerald Rocker

Those are some, uh, interesting recommendations for an anime hater, Keranu.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

I know, but they are always the top recommended games for the systems and just because a game has anime in it doesn't mean I won't enjoy it :P .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Emerald Rocker

The best I've played (so far) are Pia Carrot, Chip Chan Kick, and First Kiss Story.  There are still a bunch I'm itching to try out, but those three would be top tier on any system... except that the ports on other systems of Pia and FKS aren't nearly as good.  Go figure!

Zenki is fun but short and has really sloppy controls.  I don't get why people love Battle Heat at all... that game seems virtually unplayable to me.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Ninja Spirit

whats wrong with anime period? I'm not too big of a fan of it either, but it's aight in my book.

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: "Blasta_Mazta"i guess anime is huge in japan

guess? That's where it came from in the first place.

Keranu

Haha, yeah I was thinking that when I first read that post as well.
IMG

SNKNostalgia

I don't see why many people hate anime. Yes, a lot of animes copy eachother, no doubt. Many people complain about the big eyes and silly humor. There are some that are very good though. Its nothing more than another medium for an art form. I say check some of these movies or series out that are more signatured so to speak.

Princess Monoke
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust ( the newer movie)
Beserker Guts Rage
Cowboy Bebop on DVD, (Cartoon network doesn't do enough justice for me.)
Armitage the third and Duel Matrix
Ninja Scroll
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal

In games I really don't mind seeing it. Lets face it, most PCEngine games have anime in them. It gives more of a cinematic experience. Take this away and the games would lack depth in the stories maybe. Who knows. Imagine the Valis games without it. Remember the SNES and Genesis version?

Also, imgagine Ninja Gaiden for the NES without the cinematic anime scenes, even though its digital comic style and not FMV or stills with voices.

_Paul

I wish people would realise that anime (and manga) are not 'genres', just 'mediums' in which to tell a story. It's just the type of anime that gets imported into the west is all very similar. Go watch some Studio Ghibli.

GUTS

Yeah I've shown Berserk to a few friends who HATE anime but they ended up loving Berserk and watching all 26 episodes (and of course they were pissed off at the end, "What?!Tthat's it?!  Aren't they going to make more?!!").  Personally I hate about 90% of the anime that comes out, but finding gems like Future Boy Conana and Peace Maker Kurogane keep me interested in anime as a whole.

esteban

Grave of the fireflies (1988). See it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

My brother actually has Grave of the Fireflies, but I wasn't so impressed of course. I just can't bother myself to anime anymore really. American cartoons all the way.
IMG

GUTS

Keranu can you like anything that isn't cheesy and retarded?

Keranu

What's wrong with cheesy? I'll take cheesey over anime any day, get off my back with your beef against cheesy stuff.
IMG

OldRover

I like some anime and some American cartoons as well. I'd rather watch The Smurfs than Pokémon...

Keranu

That's because the Smurfs rule.
IMG

Keranu

I want to get into English cartoons more because I love the style and humor of them, but I haven't seen nearly enough of them!
IMG

GUTS

Yeah but I mean can you like anything that's NOT cheesy and retarded?  Is there anything normal that you like?

Keranu

Of course, there are plenty movies and games that I love that aren't cheesy, just keep in mind nothing newer because stuff today sucks.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "Keranu"My brother actually has Grave of the Fireflies, but I wasn't so impressed of course. I just can't bother myself to anime anymore really. American cartoons all the way.
I suggested this film because it is not the typical genre of anime that folks outside of Japan are familiar with. If you're familiar with film, you might be familiar with classic, Italian "neorealist" films like "The Bicycle Thief" and "Umberto D" (both great films, by the way). Anyway, "Grave of the Fireflies" is linked to these films -- I know it's weird -- by the drama, the themes, WWII, emphasis on a child's perspective to events in film, etc.

Grave of the Fireflies illustrates the earlier point that anime/cartoon is simply the medium to convey a story.  

A wind named Amnesia is another anime film that a I really dig. But like Grave, you have to allow yourself to give it a chance...

GUTS

Hey I've seen Amnesia, sweet movie!  I love those post-apocalyptic movies I think for the same reason I love Robinson Crusoe type stories, I love seeing how people live when they're on their own in new environments (especially when they go into detail).

Also on the same subject, personally I think Akira is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  I watched it about 3-4 times back when it came out in the early 90s and never really got into it (story was too hard to follow so it was kinda boring).  Last year though I bought the new DVD version with the new translation and holy shit it was like a whole new movie, the translation actually made sense and I understood everything.  It was fucking BADASS.

esteban

Quote from: "GUTS"Hey I've seen Amnesia, sweet movie!  I love those post-apocalyptic movies I think for the same reason I love Robinson Crusoe type stories, I love seeing how people live when they're on their own in new environments (especially when they go into detail).

Also on the same subject, personally I think Akira is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  I watched it about 3-4 times back when it came out in the early 90s and never really got into it (story was too hard to follow so it was kinda boring).  Last year though I bought the new DVD version with the new translation and holy shit it was like a whole new movie, the translation actually made sense and I understood everything.  It was fucking BADASS.
DITTO! on both points, GUTS. I love the post-apocalyptic setting. In the "movie" thread I suggested "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price. This film is usually overlooked and not many folks would hold it up as a gem.... but I just dig it. I saw it for the first time a few years ago, at a movie theatre in Los Angeles. It was sweet. Watch it with the lights off, late at night with no distractions. Hopefully you won't fall asleep :)

Akira is a film that deserves all of the praise heaped upon it. It strikes a great balance between drama, action, meditation, etc. The opening sequence, with the great music and visuals, still gives me goosebumps.

TRIVIA: Has anyone ever suggested that the psychic midget lady from the  film "Poltergeist" inspired the similar character in this film? Or was that a product of localization? Not to detract from Akira by linking it to Poltergeist, but that's something I always wonder about.

Keranu

Quote from: "stevek666"I suggested this film because it is not the typical genre of anime that folks outside of Japan are familiar with. If you're familiar with film, you might be familiar with classic, Italian "neorealist" films like "The Bicycle Thief" and "Umberto D" (both great films, by the way). Anyway, "Grave of the Fireflies" is linked to these films -- I know it's weird -- by the drama, the themes, WWII, emphasis on a child's perspective to events in film, etc.

Grave of the Fireflies illustrates the earlier point that anime/cartoon is simply the medium to convey a story.
I figured that was the reason why you suggested it, and while I don't think it's bad at all, I just don't like it (if that makes sense), because I'm not into movies like that.
IMG

SNKNostalgia

Check out Goldenboy, funny as hell. Part 1, 4 and 5 are the best. Kinda perverse but not all too too bad. The bicycle part on Golden Boy 5 will have you rolling on the floor :lol:

Keranu

The bicycle part on the movie "Kazaam" with Shaq flying on a gold bicycle had me rolling on the floor. God that was hilarious.
IMG

Seldane

Quote from: "Blasta_Mazta"i abslolutely hate ANIME.

I love you so much!  :lol:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

PCEngineHell

Ghost in the Shell,Golgo 13,Armatage,Kishen Corps,Detanator Orgun,Akira,Galaxy Express,and many others out there are great.You just have to look around.The best anime was on LD.The laserdisc scene seemed to avoid most of crap anime on the US side of things.

Keranu

I actually do enjoy Akira and Galaxy Express. I don't even know why I liked Galaxy Express so much, but it had great atmosphere.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "Keranu"I actually do enjoy Akira and Galaxy Express. I don't even know why I liked Galaxy Express so much, but it had great atmosphere.
Galaxy Express rules. it used to be on UHF tv out here in southern california.

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: "stevek666"Grave of the fireflies (1988). See it.

Dude, I remember watching that with a few of my friends. It made several of them actually cry. Since my dad's into history, (he watches the History Channel alot), he might actually enjoy this one.

------------------------

Anyone aware of the rampant hate toward "4kids"?

I know alot of people rant about them a whole lot and they might a few "get a life" here and there, but according to an interview I saw with the 4kids CEO Al Khan, I kinda have to hate them from a ethical standpoint.

QuoteBy the time we localize the programs kids don't even know they're from Japan any more

That's very fucking cold IMO. That's almost like taking someone's creation someone made, altering it off completely, and hogging the credit for yourself.

They're practically robbing kids' opportunities to broaden their horizons with some cultural exposure.

esteban

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Quote from: "stevek666"Grave of the fireflies (1988). See it.

Dude, I remember watching that with a few of my friends. It made several of them actually cry. Since my dad's into history, (he watches the History Channel alot), he might actually enjoy this one.

My friends were kinda upset with me after we watched it. We were all kinda bummed for the rest of the evening. The fact that it had this emotional impact on all of us, IMO, is the sign of a truly fine film.

QuoteAnyone aware of the rampant hate toward "4kids"?

I know alot of people rant about them a whole lot and they might a few "get a life" here and there, but according to an interview I saw with the 4kids CEO Al Khan, I kinda have to hate them from a ethical standpoint.
No, I haven't heard about this. I am curious though.

TR0N

I'm not basis towards to japan or american cartoons.

Heck i watch both sooooo :P Beside both have there strength and weakness :wink:

Btw i've look at what the, pc-engine fx has for games can't say.. i'm interested in it's selection.

To many digital comic games if you ask me.

No offense to any, PCFX owners on here but i'm more of a, PCE&Super Grafx fan :wink: I just find more variety on those systems.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Dark Fact

I really don't see any reason to hate anime considering that some of the stuff that's made is better than some crap that's on TV nowadays.

But if you anime haters really want to be stingy about it, I have one suggestion for you: Cowboy Bebop.  See it.  See ALL of it, including the movie.  This is a show even non-anime fans can enjoy.
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

I am not an anime fan really and I have watched many Cowboy Bebop episodes (my bro has them all on DVD) and Cowboy Bebop was a anime that I didn't really like even when I did use to watch anime, surprisingly  :? . I was more into Evangelion back then and Akira was like my favorite, which is still something I can admit today is great.
IMG

Dark Fact

QuoteI am not an anime fan really and I have watched many Cowboy Bebop episodes (my bro has them all on DVD) and Cowboy Bebop was a anime that I didn't really like even when I did use to watch anime, surprisingly  . I was more into Evangelion back then and Akira was like my favorite, which is still something I can admit today is great.
You see? Not all anime is bad.  It's just that some shows tend to have much poorer writing and production than others.

And believe me, I've seen plenty of bad anime in my day.

And your avatar looks like the guy Kenshiro from "Fist of the North Star" keeps killing by blowing his head off with his fingers-in-the-brain technique. :D
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Ninja Spirit

Anyone know people who let anime take over their lives? Oh man I knew quite a couple. Gave them the delusional idea that Japan is a "happy magical utopia" as depicted in most animes. No joke.

GUTS

^^ That's like 1/3 of the people on the internet!

Ninja Spirit

LOL What really irritates me is when they mix Japanese words they learn from anime in their English vocabulary.

"shut up you baka!"

"that cat is kawaii"

"ohhh that game is sooo sugoi"

embarassing.

Keranu

I hate it when people do that.

I'm going to give that woman some pai-zuri.
IMG

Dark Fact

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"Anyone know people who let anime take over their lives? Oh man I knew quite a couple. Gave them the delusional idea that Japan is a "happy magical utopia" as depicted in most animes. No joke.
As someone who attends a couple of anime clubs weekly, I say I know plenty.  But the majority of them are just high school students.  At one time, even I felt that way about Japan being this "land of gold" with stylish technology, awesome food, and friendly locals, but then a few years later, I matured and found out it's just like any other asian country with the same people living their lives just like you and me.

Sooner or later, those high school students in the anime club will grow out of their "japanophile" syndrome (hopefully) and see that Japan isn't all what it is cracked up to be.

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"LOL What really irritates me is when they mix Japanese words they learn from anime in their English vocabulary.

"shut up you baka!"

"that cat is kawaii"

"ohhh that game is sooo sugoi"

embarassing.
In the anime club, all the freakin' time. :?  The girls can't stop lusting over how hot Inuyasha is! :lol:  They're lusting over how hot a "cartoon" is! Christ! :roll:

If they really want to learn japanese, they should just go take some language courses.  Languages aren't made to be mixed. :roll:

However, I sometimes do use a couple of words from time to time in my vocabulary like "kuso" and "shimata" but that's only reserved for places where I can't swear (in english of course :wink: )

PC Gaijin

You have not experienced embarrassment for humanity until you have gone to an anime convention. A-kon 1994 in Dallas, Texas was my first and last anime con. The cosplay I saw there....<BRANDO>The horror...the horror...</BRANDO>. Anyway, at least I got to meet Monkey Punch for all my troubles. :)

Dark Fact

You got to meet Monkey Punch? :shock:

You should've asked him to draw you a nude sketch of Fujiko! :D

And I know exactly what you mean by the convention attendees.  They're some of the creepiest around.  Guys who don't bathe, girls who always talk about which bishounen is more sexier.  

Telling them all to get a life would be a serious understatement. :!:

Ninja Spirit

Heh I go to cons myself, but my reason would be the dealer's room to add stuff to my import game collection, and the colossal gaming room with acres of TV's and consoles.

I attempted cosplay once.....didn't look right since I'm a brotha.

esteban

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"I attempted cosplay once.....didn't look right since I'm a brotha.
hahahahhahaa. Since "not looking right" at cosplay is a good thing, I wouldn't be too upset :). It's awesome that you admitted to it, though. I had bookmarked a site of a cosplayer I totally loved (I found her site randomly -- I'm serious!). She had pictures of her making the outfits she created and had commentary (step by step). Awesome. The FELT and HOT GLUE GUN industry must really love the extra sales racked up by the cosplayers.

OldRover