OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Devilman RPG translation for Hucard underway!!

Started by anRPGlegend, 03/16/2011, 07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anRPGlegend

=D> =D>

Susano O Densetsu
IMG

Brought to you by the team that translated Debiruman for the NES. The team started the Turbografx tanslation in 2009. Who knows when it will be done but at least it's being worked on.

IMGIMG
World MapTown View
IMGIMG
https://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/game.php?id=7490
https://gamingafter40.blogspot.com/2012/04/clueless-gaijin-gaming-susano-o.html

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

anRPGlegend

It was because of me this project was started. I was not even supposed to leak this info but I figured this would bring joy and even hope to some.

Senshi

What made you pick this game? (No bias, just wondering)
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Arkhan Asylum

Just wondering, why do you say the "team" when it was one person that did the original translation?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

turbogrfxfan

i wonder where they would get the hueys to make it.  id love to buy one though.  Id like more info!
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 03/16/2011, 10:21 PMi wonder where they would get the hueys to make it.  id love to buy one though.  Id like more info!
I think thats just a misleading title, and the patch will be for the ROM like all of the guys other translations.

SignOfZeta

Good news, obviously, but...a fan translation that hasn't even been officially announced yet...how far down the pipeline is that, 6 years? Assuming it doesn't get abandoned like most too.
IMG

TheClash603

When fan translations get done, someone should always release a copy on the original media.  Roms schmoms.

grahf

nat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/17/2011, 12:48 AMWhen fan translations get done, someone should always release a copy on the original media.  Roms schmoms.
That's why you buy a flash cart.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/17/2011, 12:48 AMWhen fan translations get done, someone should always release a copy on the original media.  Roms schmoms.
That's not exactly realistic. Completing a fan translation requires hundreds of hours or work, and usually calling on every favor you can...and even then the project is usually abandoned. When they actually get completed....its pretty impressive and awesome, IMO. Asking them to shell out a couple of thousand dollars to publish the thing on top of that is...pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Of course if you want to be a really great guy I'm sure they'd love you to help them out financially by publishing it for them...

Quote from: nat on 03/17/2011, 02:01 AMThat's why you buy a flash cart.
Yeah, that's why you buy one...and then fuck with it for days trying to get it to work, wondering if the problem is the card, the software, your computer, or your lack of technical skill before you eventually throw the piece of shit in drawer and never touch it again.

There is nothing more frustrating than a flash cart. When they work they are MAGIC, when they don't they are @#%*&%#$@*!!!
IMG

termis

Looking at the original post gave me flashbacks of White Zombie's Supercharger Heaven  :P

Yeah, this isn't a bad idea - I dunno about physical cards (too expensive to be feasbile, probably) but it should certainly be possible for CDs.  I'd imagine we can pool together people to get a batch of pressed CDs for a fully translated game.  (However, most CD games have Japanese voices too, which 99% don't get subtitled/dubbed.  In fact, I don't know of a single fantranslated PCE CD game that 100% understandble by an English speaker because of this issue.)

I'd certainly shell out for a fully translated PLUS fully-dubbed/subtitled Ys IV, Xak III, etc...

NecroPhile

Woo-hoo!  I'm always happy to see translations.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

anRPGlegend

Actually there will be only two people working on this, excluding myself. The way this game came about to being picked up for translation was simple. My love for the turbo on translation forums reached the right ears (or eyes) when I recommended a few cool Hucard RPGs for translation (necromancer & sinibad being among them), a fan of the Devilman series learned of this game when I presented it before the board. He liked it and private messaged me the details of who will be hacking and translating the game.

Who knows where it is in progress, but I DO know War of the Dead is 100% translated but they cannot hack it. (different team for war of the dead im almost positive).

:(

_Paul

Any translation is cool, but why do they keep picking games I have little to no interest in?

Hopefully that City Hunter translation is coming along soon.

Arkhan Asylum

I wonder when people are going to realize anRPGlegend is talking out of his ass. :D

Senshi

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2011, 04:08 AMAny translation is cool, but why do they keep picking games I have little to no interest in?

Hopefully that City Hunter translation is coming along soon.
Agreed...City Hunter would be great.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

ParanoiaDragon

I hate to say this, but I personally have no interest in ever playing this game, English or no, it just doesn't interest me.  I hope it all goes smoothly & you can get to something afterwards that I'll be looking more forward to. :)
IMG

Snake Plissken

Hi! I'm a new member here.
This is really great. Susano Oh is one of the most ambitious mangas ever drawn by Go Nagai, and some of it's characters and situations also come up in other Nagai's works, like Mazinsaga and Violence Jack. Unfortunately, it's still untranslated / unscanlated...
Being an huge fan of Nagai, I hope that this translation job will bring some attention on the Susano Oh manga too. Keep up the good work! :)
Call me Snake...

Keranu

I always thought this game seemed really cool whenever I tried it on emulators. May not have the prettiest ingame graphics, but the battle system is unique and the setting is a bit different from generic RPGs.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Snake Plissken on 06/29/2011, 03:47 AMHi! I'm a new member here.
This is really great. Susano Oh is one of the most ambitious mangas ever drawn by Go Nagai, and some of it's characters and situations also come up in other Nagai's works, like Mazinsaga and Violence Jack. Unfortunately, it's still untranslated / unscanlated...
Being an huge fan of Nagai, I hope that this translation job will bring some attention on the Susano Oh manga too. Keep up the good work! :)

/rRpNVnSFWGS&t=1

Snake Plissken

No trolling man, i'm a genuine fan. In fact one of the reasons that brought me to registering here, coming out from the lurker's corner, is to comment this project positively :)

BTW, is anyone is curious about the Susano Oh manga, check out this link. http://www.mazingerz.com/SUSA/SUSA.html
It covers the "Susano Oh Densetsu" novels too.
Call me Snake...

blueraven

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/17/2011, 12:16 AMGood news, obviously, but...a fan translation that hasn't even been officially announced yet...how far down the pipeline is that, 6 years? Assuming it doesn't get abandoned like most too.
:lol: That's about right. I'm glad to hear about it too but skeptical of the high abandonment rate.

Hopefully it manifests.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Snake Plissken on 06/29/2011, 03:47 AMHi! I'm a new member here.

well then you will be displeased to know that the original poster was full of shit.

TurboXray

Quote from: blueraven on 07/02/2011, 12:47 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/17/2011, 12:16 AMGood news, obviously, but...a fan translation that hasn't even been officially announced yet...how far down the pipeline is that, 6 years? Assuming it doesn't get abandoned like most too.
:lol: That's about right. I'm glad to hear about it too but skeptical of the high abandonment rate.

Hopefully it manifests.
If the PCE community really cared about translations, then they need to make some noise in the right channels. There are plenty of capable translation hackers (with connections to good translators and healthy track records) in the scene. But the PCE is just not popular enough to garner the attention. SNES and NES see almost all of it, followed by GBA. And then probably GB/C and Genesis, misc/etc. A ton of crap games have been translated too for the SNES, as well as almost ALL the good ones. Things are drying up for the popular consoles of translation choice and scene is starting to move onto the PS1 (it's gaining quite a bit of popularity) and NDS. The PCE is being skipped over since there is no demand for it. So like I said, if the PCE community really cared about getting translations for (insert X Japanese PCE game here), they better make some noise in the hacking scene. Which I highly doubt will ever happen. The large majority of the PCE community doesn't care for emulation and most won't run CD-Rs on their system (or have flash cards to run Huie translations, thought Hucard translations are more rare. CD games are where it's at).

Arkhan Asylum

Maybe people gave up and or stopped caring.  There was at least 1 translation project started by seasoned PCE dev people who are capable of the nitty gritty AND the translating....

that got abandoned for whatever reason. 

Cosmic Fantasy 1.  Wheres it at.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 07/03/2011, 01:34 PMMaybe people gave up and or stopped caring.  There was at least 1 translation project started by seasoned PCE dev people who are capable of the nitty gritty AND the translating....

that got abandoned for whatever reason. 

Cosmic Fantasy 1.  Wheres it at.
Seasoned PCE dev people != translation hackers

Just because people are qualified/capable of doing translation hacking, doesn't automatically give them the drive to do it. Translation hacking is often tedious, repetitive, mentally exhausting, and/or just plain boring for people that know how to do more than just hacking. It might be fun the first project/time around... being a new challenge and all. But it gets old fast. The no so fun part in testing/debugging with usual headaches, hair pulling, etc. You're hacking your own routines into the game, hoping it doesn't break any sort of compatibility with other in game functions (unrelated stuff that never the less gets effected in one way or another. It's not like you have the whole game disassembled and commented/figured out. Only key/small parts). It could be something as simple as your replacement hook routines taking too much time, throwing timing out that usually causes graphic glitches but sometimes straight lockups.

Rom hackers (slang term for translation hackers) are a totally different breed of coder. They live just for translation hacking and nothing more. They're not interested in coding anything outside of that narrow field (like homebrew and related). And they often have many completed projects under their belt as well. Some of us that code purely in ASM, do RE on the real system, write emulation, and low level related activities tend to cross over into the hacking realm as well. That's just natural. We tend to like to take things apart (and in this case, code and games. See what makes them tick and how they work or how efficient they are, etc). But that doesn't make such people good candidates for translation hackers. They (rom hackers) are a different and specific breed all their own. My hat off to them.

QuoteCosmic Fantasy 1.  Wheres it at.
Dave Shadoff is translating it at his leisure. The text is completely uncompressed and I already did the work/made a new string read and print routine (special case just for him. Can read both SJIS and ASCII, and can show narrow ASCII as well as fat SJIS. This was so he could see missed bits of untranslated text that he didn't catch and could do a SJIS search for it in the ISO since he could still correctly see it in the print routine). I also upgraded the game from CD to SCD, so there's additional room if he needs it for script/text that the original game code won't touch. Last I heard, it wasn't canceled.

SuperPlay

This is one of those games that I have always been slightly intrigued about (maybe it is the cover artwork).

Would be nice to see a translation.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/03/2011, 03:15 PMSeasoned PCE dev people != translation hackers

Just because people are qualified/capable of doing translation hacking, doesn't automatically give them the drive to do it. Translation hacking is often tedious, repetitive, mentally exhausting, and/or just plain boring for people that know how to do more than just hacking. It might be fun the first project/time around... being a new challenge and all. But it gets old fast. The no so fun part in testing/debugging with usual headaches, hair pulling, etc. You're hacking your own routines into the game, hoping it doesn't break any sort of compatibility with other in game functions (unrelated stuff that never the less gets effected in one way or another. It's not like you have the whole game disassembled and commented/figured out. Only key/small parts). It could be something as simple as your replacement hook routines taking too much time, throwing timing out that usually causes graphic glitches but sometimes straight lockups.

Rom hackers (slang term for translation hackers) are a totally different breed of coder. They live just for translation hacking and nothing more. They're not interested in coding anything outside of that narrow field (like homebrew and related). And they often have many completed projects under their belt as well. Some of us that code purely in ASM, do RE on the real system, write emulation, and low level related activities tend to cross over into the hacking realm as well. That's just natural. We tend to like to take things apart (and in this case, code and games. See what makes them tick and how they work or how efficient they are, etc). But that doesn't make such people good candidates for translation hackers. They (rom hackers) are a different and specific breed all their own. My hat off to them.
yep, but you still need to understand the PCE enough to do this crap, and given that its such an "obscure" system, it gets ignored.

There are people out there more than capable of doing it who don't bother because there is more exposure on other platforms.   Not to mention the pce dev scene is also barely existent anymore, and whats left of it is hardly organized.  It's all disheveled and rife with apathy.  So, I think the people who could bother see that and go "screw it".

QuoteDave Shadoff is translating it at his leisure. The text is completely uncompressed and I already did the work/made a new string read and print routine (special case just for him. Can read both SJIS and ASCII, and can show narrow ASCII as well as fat SJIS. This was so he could see missed bits of untranslated text that he didn't catch and could do a SJIS search for it in the ISO since he could still correctly see it in the print routine). I also upgraded the game from CD to SCD, so there's additional room if he needs it for script/text that the original game code won't touch. Last I heard, it wasn't canceled.
Well that's good news.  I won't hold my breath though.

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/04/2011, 12:29 PMWell that's good news.  I won't hold my breath though.
"Don't hold your breath" is an interesting euphemism, if only because the longest anyone I know can hold their breath is maybe a minute, 2 tops.

Arkhan Asylum

man, Id love it if a CF1 translation would be out in 2 minutes.   lol

As prickish as it sounds, I started going the route of saying "Fuck waiting for translations, ill just lrn2Japan as I go".  Its slow to start but really picks up as you go.

I can complete and understand basic RPGs now .  Like NES/Early PCE CD era stuff.    Once you get to PCFX era, I get raped.  But I still love me some PCFX

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/04/2011, 07:00 PMman, Id love it if a CF1 translation would be out in 2 minutes.   lol

As prickish as it sounds, I started going the route of saying "Fuck waiting for translations, ill just lrn2Japan as I go".  Its slow to start but really picks up as you go.

I can complete and understand basic RPGs now .  Like NES/Early PCE CD era stuff.    Once you get to PCFX era, I get raped.  But I still love me some PCFX
With Japanese, it's not so much the words that get you in games. They use a simple subset of kanji, most of them, and a good kanji dictionary goes a long way. No, it's that Japanese is just as much a grammatical mess as English is. There are little exceptions and special forms and sayings all over the place, and mastering those is a life task for those not raised bilingual.

SamIAm

Quote from: guest on 07/04/2011, 10:29 PMWith Japanese, it's not so much the words that get you in games. They use a simple subset of kanji, most of them, and a good kanji dictionary goes a long way. No, it's that Japanese is just as much a grammatical mess as English is. There are little exceptions and special forms and sayings all over the place, and mastering those is a life task for those not raised bilingual.
This is going off topic, but I've got two private students who were were raised here in Japan with an American father who deliberately only ever spoke English to them. I also dated a half-Kiwi girl for a while, met her two sisters, and saw her mother also speaking only English to them. As someone who has studied and struggled with Japanese, I used to be insanely jealous of people raised in bilingual environments, but not anymore. After meeting these people and understanding their situations, it's clear that it takes basically the same amount of work for a child to learn a second language as an adult. The only major difference, IMO, is that it's easier to force a child into a situation where they simply HAVE to use the other language.

As of yet, I have met precisely one truly bilingual person who is half-Japanese, and he achieved this mostly by going to school for long periods in both England and Japan. Everybody else is actually worse off than me as a serious adult learner. I love my two half-Japanese students to death, but I never would have expected that even they have trouble with plurals, articles (a/the), and basic verb conjugations just like regular Japanese people do.

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/03/2011, 03:15 PMSeasoned PCE dev people != translation hackers

This, I fear, is where the LOX2 translation is held up at the moment. Esperknight, who has a 1-year-old son to help look after when he's not at work, is going to need real time to properly deal with all the difficulties of storing the script and getting it to display. I've got faith in him, though.  8)

TurboXray

Quoteman, Id love it if a CF1 translation would be out in 2 minutes.   lol

Loving the game of the translation project you're working helps out tremendously. I take it you haven't worked on a translation project like this before? This would be the perfect opportunity for you, if you're interested. The print routine/asm hacking work has already been done, so it's just a matter of translating the text itself. While I can't give out hacked ISO (my work) without Dave's permission, I'm sure if you emailed Dave Shadoff he'd let you use it for your own version/translation of the game (quite a few games have multiple translations). The way the game is setup and segmented in the ISO, you can translation as you go through/play the game. And he's doing just that.

Arkhan Asylum

Despite loving all of the Cosmic Fantasy games (were you implying Dave doesnt even like the game? lol. That would be comical), I have no interest in doing a translation project for one.  I have enough new-game projects. 

I stumblefucked my way through the first one with a Kanji dictionary and a character chart.  I still don't know much of what the talking was about, not that a translation project will solve that issue.

If I wasn't doing the Retrocade, I'd maybe jump at the opportunity.  Though, I am more of a creator, not a hacker.  I like making new things, even if they're cloned arcade games especially since everything's been done for the most part anyways.  Everything Aetherbyte's doing is a "clone", but original enough to set it apart at least!   This isn't to say I think hacking shit up is a waste of time, I just don't get much enjoyment out of noodling around with already-done stuff.

I don't see the point in putting too much crap on my plate.   That's how nothing gets finished and 50 things get barely anywhere.