I need your opinion (Super Grafx)

Started by dingsbums, 04/30/2011, 03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingsbums

OK - long story  :P.
Finally I got lucky and won a loose Super Grafx on Ebay for 85 Euro  :D.
Two days after I paid the thing the seller contacted me he hadn't noticed a flaw before he listed the system  :|.
The flaw was near the S-EXP connector on the edge there was a 5mm hole in the case broken out  :? :cry: :? :cry:.
After a few hours of thinking about this "issue" we (me & seller) came to the conclusion 75 Euro for the system and I would take it and try to repair it  :dance:.

Sorry - I hadn't take a picture before the fix - but I think you can imagine a hole in a Super Grafx  8).
Here it is after the fix:
/img1236901x676.jpg

And the spot in particular:
/img1246901x676.jpg

I made the fix with "Feinspachtel" (sorry I don't know the English term) for cars. This stuff is perfect for things like that - it gets hard as **** but you can grind it easily. But when you grind away the surplus stuff you will make scratches in the case of course.
And here is the part where I need your guys opinion(s)  :)  - I'm thinking about respraying the Super Grafx (I personally suck at painting stuff, so I'm thinking about get it made at a car paint shop).
Would you guys respray it in it's original colour or would you go for something completely different ??? (Because the SG looks a bit like a car engine I'm thinking about respraying in chrome metallic  :D).

As I had the system disambled already I decided to make a RGB mod also:
/img1235901x676.jpg

RGB Awesomeness:
/img1231901x676.jpg

Please let me know what you think.
Cheers Marco

Arkhan Asylum

Looks good.  Maybe paint the spot with some matte model paint to match up the colors, and scrub it down with a toothbrush to get the dust / dirt out of all the cracks.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Usually the stuff used on cars is polyester putty. The vernacular for Americans is "Bondo" (a brand name). In the UK I think they just usually call it filler.

I would have just left it cracked, but you're beyond the point of no return now. I think painting it another color would be cool, but not chrome. Maybe a darker grey, or black, or silver. If it were white it would look like a Star Wars prop, which is kind of cool.

How are you going to re-apply the logos though? That would be my biggest issue when it comes to painting any console.
IMG

soop

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/30/2011, 05:43 PMUsually the stuff used on cars is polyester putty. The vernacular for Americans is "Bondo" (a brand name). In the UK I think they just usually call it filler.

I would have just left it cracked, but you're beyond the point of no return now. I think painting it another color would be cool, but not chrome. Maybe a darker grey, or black, or silver. If it were white it would look like a Star Wars prop, which is kind of cool.

How are you going to re-apply the logos though? That would be my biggest issue when it comes to painting any console.
Everything above is correct.  Filler, wouldn't bother, nice white, RGB cool, etc.
You got a deal, but a Super Grafx is a Super Grafx, and I like them the way they are.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

dingsbums

@ signofzeta

Thanks for the info.
Yeah reapplying the logos is my biggest concern at the moment. My method will be something like redoing them in a Graphic programm, print them on a transparent sticker and put it on the console. Hopefully this way will work  8).

Arkhan Asylum

ew no, dont print them on a sticker.  thats so janky!  It'll look funny, and possibly undo itself over the years and come off... 

you want to make a stencil and paint new ones on!  print the logos out on cardstock, cut them out precisely (good luck!), and then paint away!

I myself would just scrub that thing down with a toothbrush and some windex, and then match the paint color and touch it up.  Thats like, a dark gray Testors flat enamel paint color.   Much better than redoing the whole thing.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2011, 03:44 AMI myself would just scrub that thing down with a toothbrush and some windex, and then match the paint color and touch it up.  Thats like, a dark gray Testors flat enamel paint color.   Much better than redoing the whole thing.
That's never ever ever going to look right. Nothing looks quite like raw IP. There is no fucking way you're going to be able to match a section. Even if the color was %100 perfect (which is impossible) the texture is never going to match. Its everything or nothing, I'm afraid.
IMG

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/01/2011, 06:46 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 05/01/2011, 03:44 AMI myself would just scrub that thing down with a toothbrush and some windex, and then match the paint color and touch it up.  Thats like, a dark gray Testors flat enamel paint color.   Much better than redoing the whole thing.
That's never ever ever going to look right. Nothing looks quite like raw IP. There is no fucking way you're going to be able to match a section. Even if the color was %100 perfect (which is impossible) the texture is never going to match. Its everything or nothing, I'm afraid.
yeah , but you wont notice unless you press your face up against it and stare at it.  Id rather have a little touch up spot than have to fuck with restenciling it, lol

NecroPhile

Whatever color you paint this thing (please not chrome), make sure you prep the shit out of it.  No matter how good of paint you use or how talented the applicator, it'll be blotchy and/or chip easily if you don't spend enough time cleaning, sanding, and scuffing.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/02/2011, 01:49 PMWhatever color you paint this thing (please not chrome),
inb4goldplating.

dingsbums

Disassembled it completely and cleaned the hell out of it  :D - tomorrow it will go to the paint shop  8).
/img1253901x676.jpg

@ arkhan
Painting only the scratched part of the system is no option for me. Like signofzeta said that is never going to look right.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

soop

Could you possibly powder coat it?  That might look ok.

dingsbums

Hi Guys  :P
Today I got the SG back from the paint shop - and what can I say - blue metallic rules  :D.
Before the paint shop I thought about redoing the SG & PCE Logo on the front of the console in silver metallic but it looks GREAT even without the logos  - so now I think to just leave it like that  8).
Pics say more than words.

/sg1aq.jpg
/sg2a.jpg
/sg3c.jpg

Mathius

I does look very nice! Miss the logo though.

NecroPhile

The power switch sticks out like a sore thumb, but it's not bad overall.  I'd like it even better with matte paint and logos (black or a darker shade of blue). 

nat

It's not a bad color, but it looks cheap (or something) without the logos.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

roflmao

BlueBMW

The SGX looks like it would do well with a two color paint scheme.  Have the main body one color, and the fakeler bolts and accents another color.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

turbogrfxfan

i think its awesome!!! good for you!  Im happy you like it so much cause sometimes people get stuff done and then they regret it.  You should of had em paint the controller!  does the slot have any problems/?

and i think the button looks great with it
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Opethian

IMG

soop

It certainly looks professional :)

dingsbums

Thanks
@ BlueBMW
I'm thinking about a 2 colour scheme right now :). Blue metallic & silver metallic.
Example picture - excuse my poor graphic programm skills ;).
The Super Grafx & PC Engine writings will be in the style of the original of course  :D.
/sg1aaa.jpg

@turbogrfxfan
I don't have a extra controller for the SG (and I use hacked controllers and an arcade stick anyway). No problems with the slot.

turbogrfxfan

i would like to see how it would look with just the sgx logo, 2 stripes on to side and the huey slot grey. yeah man looks awesome though

termis

Personally, I'm not feeling it. 

I'd like for someone to really make it look like an engine.  Something along the lines of what NecroPhile was saying - like a dark matt gray as a base color, and another matching color for the bolts/fins.

And yeah, I think the logos definitely need to come back too.

Tatsujin

As others already stated, it's a shame you couldn't mask out the SGFX logo while it was painted. That would have been much more awesome.

For my taste it also looks way too shiny = little bit cheap. A more mat/rough surface would have looked better imo.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Jesse813

Quote from: dingsbums on 05/10/2011, 01:53 PMHi Guys  :P
Today I got the SG back from the paint shop - and what can I say - blue metallic rules  :D.
Before the paint shop I thought about redoing the SG & PCE Logo on the front of the console in silver metallic but it looks GREAT even without the logos  - so now I think to just leave it like that  8).
Pics say more than words.

/sg1aq.jpg
/sg2a.jpg
/sg3c.jpg
it turned out better than I thought it would, though now it looks like giant Lego block.

dingsbums

After nearly 2 months of waiting for the "Airbrush-guy" (and he said "it would take only 1-2 weeks"  :x) today I finally got it back  :D.

/sg901x676.jpg

Mathius

Hey that doesn't look half bad!

CGQuarterly

I'm normally not a fan of custom paint jobs, but since this console was already butt-hurt, you were doing it a favor.  I have to say that it looks pretty cool.  When it was all blue I wasn't into it, but after the trip to the airbrush guy, it looks top-notch.

Chris

NecroPhile

That turned out pretty dang good, definitely a lot better than the monochrome blue.  8)

nat

That looks..... much better than when it was all blue.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

_Paul

PunkCryborg

wow I like it a lot! The log appears to be done quite well.

SignOfZeta

Personally, I would not have gone down this road, but it could be worse.
IMG

shubibiman

Quote from: Mathius on 07/01/2011, 01:39 PMHey that doesn't look half bad!
You're right : it rather looks 66,66666666666666666666666666666666666666666% bad. If not more.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

csgx1

Nice...looks like some good quality paint work was done.

Kind of reminds me when I painted my valve covers on my car.

dingsbums

Thanks guys  8) - I see on the comments that it is a 50/50 thing, some hate it, some like it. Well you can't please everybody and thank god everybody has a different taste  :P.

turbogrfxfan

Its whatever you like. I think its dOoooooooooope!

blueraven

Well I'm kinda biased, lol. I used to paint cars and airbrush for a living. And Blue, well...

Pretty damn cool. Good Job, dude!