@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbob Xpress: Bringing affordable "gamer's" games to the community! Nearly Gone

Started by BlueBMW, 10/29/2015, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

Quote from: crazydean on 08/29/2016, 09:46 AM
Quote from: Otaking on 08/29/2016, 05:14 AMCDRs work but apparently over time wear out your laser quicker than normal pressed CDs.
People have been saying this for years. Is there actual evidence that this is true?
I've only ever used a CDR on one game and that was to play the Ys IV translation, so I personally haven't had a lot experience with it. But others have said they have had problems with lasers after playing a lot of CDRs, so was only going on that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

NecroPhile

If your drive reads it without struggling, you're fine.  If it's having issues and constantly getting lost and having to reseek, you're going to kill it if you don't do something different (better discs, better rips, etc.).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

EmperorIng

It sounds a bit like the scare of "using CDs will ruin your dreamcast laser!", despite that being mostly bulk. I mean, moderation in everything, but I feel like people exaggerate the "dangers."

I'd also imagine it's less of an issue if the laser on your unit has already been replaced (like mine has).

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 08/29/2016, 09:46 AM
Quote from: Otaking on 08/29/2016, 05:14 AMCDRs work but apparently over time wear out your laser quicker than normal pressed CDs.
People have been saying this for years. Is there actual evidence that this is true?
IMO, its bullshit. As Necro says, if your laser is already showing signs I assume CDRs won't help since they aren't part of the CDROM2 spec, especially in 1989. However, you can certainly play them without issue for years. I have. CDRs became a hit like...1998 or so. So that's like 18 years of CDR used on PCEs for me personally.

I usually play real games but I've always played CDRs of things like translated games or stuff I just couldn't get my hands on, copied from friends, etc. Bazaar de Gozaru is a game I'll never afford and Y's IV wasn't even sold in English so yeah, I've played lots of CDRs. In the 90s convention scene every club's room had a 24/7 CDR copying station. Ours had two. :)

If the 12th owner of a Duo says the CDR is what killed the laser...IMO his opinion isn't as valuable as someone who has been into the hobby for a long time, knows about how many CDRs have been played on the thing, has personally monitored the machines year after year, made the repairs, etc.

If someone buys a Duo off eBay that's been in storage for 8 years, puts a CDR in it and it dies that day...from a purely engineering perspective that isn't good data. There is so much unknown about that situation that you can't really blame anything specifically.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: EmperorIng on 08/29/2016, 12:18 PMIt sounds a bit like the scare of "using CDs will ruin your dreamcast laser!", despite that being mostly bulk. I mean, moderation in everything, but I feel like people exaggerate the "dangers."

I'd also imagine it's less of an issue if the laser on your unit has already been replaced (like mine has).
I threw together a dedicated Dreamcast rig over the weekend. Stereo speakers, VGA, Ferrari Wheel, you name it. This is a LAUNCH DC and it still works perfectly. The drive still sounds like hell, like its grinding coffee beans, but it always sounded like that and I haven't seen a single load error. I hadn't even turned it on in probably 2+ years but it ran F355 for 18 hours yesterday flawless. The barrier to entry is extremely high but that it still one of my favorite racing games.
IMG

LostFlunky

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/29/2016, 01:41 PM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 08/29/2016, 12:18 PMIt sounds a bit like the scare of "using CDs will ruin your dreamcast laser!", despite that being mostly bulk. I mean, moderation in everything, but I feel like people exaggerate the "dangers."

I threw together a dedicated Dreamcast rig over the weekend. Stereo speakers, VGA, Ferrari Wheel, you name it. This is a LAUNCH DC and it still works perfectly. The drive still sounds like hell, like its grinding coffee beans, but it always sounded like that and I haven't seen a single load error. I hadn't even turned it on in probably 2+ years but it ran F355 for 18 hours yesterday flawless. The barrier to entry is extremely high but that it still one of my favorite racing games.
Yeah it isn't the laser dying in DCs. It is the lid switch.    I have 3 with the lid switch jumpered and they run great.

crazydean

EDIT: This tapatalk is killing me.

Mathius

Okay I need to correct my earlier statement...there are a few more pressed boots available through Bernie on the Turbo Xpress FB group. As for more in the future I'll post here if anything should arise.

SavagePencil

Quote from: Mathius on 08/29/2016, 06:30 PMOkay I need to correct my earlier statement...there are a few more pressed boots available through Bernie on the Turbo Xpress FB group. As for more in the future I'll post here if anything should arise.
Hello I am dumb can you tell me the exact name of the FB group?  I keep finding things about turbochargers, and I sold my SVO many years ago.

EDIUTTTT:  IT IS "TURBOB XPRESS"

Mathius

Quote from: SavagePencil on 08/31/2016, 06:34 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 08/29/2016, 06:30 PMOkay I need to correct my earlier statement...there are a few more pressed boots available through Bernie on the Turbo Xpress FB group. As for more in the future I'll post here if anything should arise.
Hello I am dumb can you tell me the exact name of the FB group?  I keep finding things about turbochargers, and I sold my SVO many years ago.

EDIUTTTT:  IT IS "TURBOB XPRESS"
Yes. Sorry for the misspell.

Bernie

Only thing I've got left is a handful of Dracula X.  Japan version

Gentlegamer

IMG

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

NightWolve

**FEEL THE BERN**

Hey, Bernie's back! Or has been, since July!!! ;)

synbiosfan

Bernie!  Nice to see you back.

Please stick around, you're one of my favorite posters!

Mathius

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Zephadus

Aw, I can't believe I missed Round 1.
I would have jumped on that translated Dracula X for sure.
Dracula X Chronicles on PSP is okay, but it would be nice to have something closer to the original.
I'm sure I could fumble my way through the Japanese one, but English is just so convenient. lol
IMG

BlueBMW

The Japanese Dracula X is no trouble to play through not knowing Japanese.  Some may even prefer it for that more authentic feel.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

kgctim

I didn't want to read through 66 pages so I will just be that guy... will there be another run of these? Definitely want a copy of Dracula X, Hell, I would probably buy one of each since the price is so good.

Thanks

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

780racer

Quote from: kgctim on 01/16/2017, 01:13 PMI didn't want to read through 66 pages so I will just be that guy... will there be another run of these? Definitely want a copy of Dracula X, Hell, I would probably buy one of each since the price is so good.

Thanks
Nope. Almost 100% sure we wont get any more. The ones that they had were left overs and doubtful anyone would secure the same games getting pressed again.

Im hoping for terraforming, super zonk, camp california,ect in a next round pending who/how its handled

Psycho Punch

We need to badmouth tobias again so he can press us some new loosies for cost only. :P
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

sirhcman

Freeway2

"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

bob

Quote from: Freeway2 on 02/11/2017, 07:47 PMCould I make a donation and get in on round 2 please.
you missed it.  tbone bought them all.  but the good news is they are available on ebay for $50.01 if interested.

ChuChu Flamingo

Lol round 2, would be pretty dank to get a Beyond Shadowgate though as it would be a step up from a CDR. My older brother always talks about the original Shadowgate.

Freeway2

"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

tbone3969

I did get a copy of all the pressed discs released here.  I gave my word that I wouldn't flip them and not one has been sold.  I still have them all.  I like them in my collection.  Thanks again Bernie.

Gredler

Quote from: tbone3969 on 02/13/2017, 08:28 PMI did get a copy of all the pressed discs released here.  I gave my word that I wouldn't flip them and not one has been sold.  I still have them all.  I like them in my collection.  Thanks again Bernie.
Yeah repro's are poor taste to sell on ebay, but homebrew is fair game.

When a homebrew comes a long, you should flip it. Whatever you do, don't open it and play it.

EmperorIng

I got rid of three of mine, but I sold them for the $5.00 for one/for all rate that Bernie Blue and co. sold them for.

Kinda regretting getting rid of Beyond Shadowgate, but going off of ChuChu I can vouch that a CDR is just as good.  8)

Dicer

I did the worst thing possible with mine...I put them in nice reproduction cases.

elmer

Quote from: Dicer on 02/13/2017, 11:18 PMI did the worst thing possible with mine...I put them in nice reproduction cases.
But did you seal them in cellophane and then have them VGA-graded???   :wink:

Dicer

Quote from: elmer on 02/13/2017, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 02/13/2017, 11:18 PMI did the worst thing possible with mine...I put them in nice reproduction cases.
But did you seal them in cellophane and then have them VGA-graded???   :wink:
Zipping them up as we speak.

Arkhan Asylum

I thought they were supposed to come that way.  lol.

but I guess nobody ever bothered to go do a press run since they just started making it rain with Tobias bootlegs.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 02/14/2017, 03:09 PMI thought they were supposed to come that way.  lol.

but I guess nobody ever bothered to go do a press run since they just started making it rain with Tobias bootlegs.
The eventual goal is still to do a pressing of a game choice that will be voted on.  But for the time being we've been distributing Tobias spools of bootleggery as a way to build up some funds to get the pressing done.

Hopefully, it's not too far off from that goal...
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

tbone3969

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/16/2017, 10:34 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/14/2017, 03:09 PMI thought they were supposed to come that way.  lol.

The eventual goal is still to do a pressing of a game choice that will be voted on.  But for the time being we've been distributing Tobias spools of bootleggery as a way to build up some funds to get the pressing done.

Any update on this?  This would be rad.  TIA

NightWolve

What the heck, I'm getting a red screen saying "Dangerous site ahead, raptr . com may trick you" when I click on the first page of this thread using Chrome...

I'll have to scan it and edit out what's causing that!

Quote from: tbone3969 on 08/20/2018, 03:22 PM
QuoteThe eventual goal is still to do a pressing of a game choice that will be voted on.  But for the time being we've been distributing Tobias spools of bootleggery as a way to build up some funds to get the pressing done.

Any update on this?  This would be rad.  TIA
Naw, those guys are done. They sold out of Tobias' bootlegs and never learned how to press their own. You want Jodi's Turbo Reproductions group on FB for this sort of thing.

NightWolve

OK, fixed!

It was the signature in the profile of whisper2053.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?action=profile&u=4969

He had this link, "www.  raptr . com/badge/whisper2053/fs_lastplayed.png" which Chrome now says is dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptr

Raptr was shutdown in Sept. 2017, and perhaps the domain expired only for somebody malicious to take it over I guess. It was a social networking site and messenger apparently. Never heard of it, but RIP for those that apparently liked it, etc.