RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

CIB system prices

Started by rs_jr, 09/10/2016, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neopolss

Man do I miss the days when clearance was deep discount.  Nowadays its like 20% off.  Lame.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/13/2016, 08:42 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/13/2016, 06:46 PMIt is *way* more fun to explore games the old way (having to budget your money and make decisions)...but I was buying games when they were reasonable.
What was "reasonable" for you and when was this?

I ask because it's pretty amazing....I've not been playing Turbo nearly as long as most of you. I'm purely an adult player, never had one/always wanted one blah blah blah. But just in the past 2-3 years what I considered "reasonable" would now look like a steal/deal on ebay etc.

No lie, I still kick myself for not buying Ordyne BIN for 20$. I may not like the game, I dunno, but I'll likely never see that price again.
Why are you complaining about the price of a game you don't even want?
IMG

GoldenWheels

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/14/2016, 12:22 AM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/13/2016, 08:42 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/13/2016, 06:46 PMIt is *way* more fun to explore games the old way (having to budget your money and make decisions)...but I was buying games when they were reasonable.
What was "reasonable" for you and when was this?

I ask because it's pretty amazing....I've not been playing Turbo nearly as long as most of you. I'm purely an adult player, never had one/always wanted one blah blah blah. But just in the past 2-3 years what I considered "reasonable" would now look like a steal/deal on ebay etc.

No lie, I still kick myself for not buying Ordyne BIN for 20$. I may not like the game, I dunno, but I'll likely never see that price again.
Why are you complaining about the price of a game you don't even want?
Where did I say I didn't want it? I want it, in my budget.

I Just don't know if I would like it, since I've not played it. Hence the "I may not like the game, I dunno". But for 20 I wish I had given it a shot, it's a shooter and I like to try all of those.

GoldenWheels

Those receipts are pretty neat btw. I never thought to keep stuff like that back in the day, would be cool to look at now.

spawnshop

Ha!   That's awesome - Radioshack!
I used to work at Radioshack back in the late 90"s during high school and college.  I remember that most stores didn't carry systems or games in stock, but the customer had to order it into the store.   I remember selling the PS1 system and games, but not the TG16.  Guess it was just easier to go to TRU to pick up a game rather than order it....haha.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/13/2016, 08:06 PMYou're right. But when did that become compulsory?
It isn't.  Like I said, it's only a good idea for a select group of people that have no idea what they're getting into, never having played any 2600, NES, SNES, etc. games.

I've not said that nobody should buy a real system or real games at any price, so I don't where you're getting the rest of your rant.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 09/14/2016, 09:25 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/13/2016, 08:06 PMYou're right. But when did that become compulsory?
It isn't.  Like I said, it's only a good idea for a select group of people that have no idea what they're getting into, never having played any 2600, NES, SNES, etc. games.

I've not said that nobody should buy a real system or real games at any price, so I don't where you're getting the rest of your rant.
The rest of it wasn't aimed at you. Your sig proves you aren't a "physical copies are dumb" guy but they do exist here now.
IMG

Gypsy

I typically only "test drive" the pricier games. Saved me some coined on Kaze Kiri. For lower valued titles I'll usually just buy them anyway (still looking into them beforehand, but not being bothered to download) and if I end up not liking them much (very low rate) I just move on.

Quote from: neopolss on 09/13/2016, 11:44 PMMan do I miss the days when clearance was deep discount.  Nowadays its like 20% off.  Lame.
Amen.

esteban

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/13/2016, 09:57 PM... 

...I paid full retail for many games, but then around 1996:

IMG
Fucking shite!

The only games I got new at retail for $5 was Buster Bros.  and Splash Lake, and that was because my friend knew I was obsessed with Turbo and picked them up from clearance as a gift.

:)

So, I'm happy for that. I saw him years later and told him I still loved him for remembering how much I was obsessed with Turbo.

:)

"You always had problems," he replied.

"Yup."
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

tbone3969

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/13/2016, 11:22 AMIn short, buy a Core with Super Star Solider before you spend five times as much on a system you might not even like.
This is the best advice I've heard by far.  I would just add to get the one with AV out.  That's the CoreGrafx II.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

retro junkie

Hmmmm.......
I am the type of gamer that has to hold it in your hands, tangible, solid, all a part of the experience. Of course I was into the TG16 when it was still on the shelf and the "battle" was between the other two guys. So that was when I attained most of my TG16 collection. Prices, for me, was comparable to the "other guy's" carts. There were those occasional sales, and I did get a few bargains at the end. Over the years adding to my stash, I have considered, $10 to $30 good prices.
What I consider one of my best moves was grabbing up a PC Engine, the original. You can get a good deal on eBay for one of these, plus get a homemade adaptor for those RCA plugs. And you can pick up a couple of games, all this, I think, for around $100, if you continue to hang around eBay. If you can find a Core Grafx II for something reasonable, that would be the best path, needs all the wires and controller in the package.
IMG
This is the easiest way to enter TG16 gaming. I think if you go head over heels at that point, you will not have any trouble saving up the cash and diving in deeper with some kind of DUO setup. I will seriously, at times, consider $40 or $50 for that hard to attain game, and finally go for it. Haven't embraced anything with that $100 plus price tag yet. (Used the word yet, which does not rule that out) But the cheapest route, my experience, for a lot of games, has been the PC Engine road. And you can always look at a game on youtube to get an idea how it plays. It can be a decision maker.

And there is just something about holding those Hucards in your hands that there are no words to express.

mj9123456

Quote from: tbone3969 on 09/16/2016, 01:10 PMThis is the best advice I've heard by far.  I would just add to get the one with AV out.  That's the CoreGrafx II.
Both the CoreGrafx and CoreGrafx II have AV out.

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/10/2016, 09:32 PMLoose complete:

TG-16 $40 - $50
loose complete with controller adaptor and cables for 40 - 50 bucks?
sell me one please. I will take two right now. I will take 3. $120 ready to pay.

clown please. Just shut the fuck up.

esteban

Let's get back on track: I would love to talk to you about some of the TG-16/PCE games you are playing.

Thank you :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

johnnykonami

Cheapest I remember really was when Toys R' Us was getting rid of some old stock many titles were $20.  I don't have these anymore but I think I got Space Harrier, Double Dungeons, and Ordyne at least for that price.  Ordyne was my favorite of that lot, for sure.

Gypsy

Extremely obvious troll tho.

crazydean

Looks like the only time you aren't telling someone to fuck off is when you want to buy/sell/raffle. How sad..ignored.